Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Speaking of superstars, Josh Richardson is back with the Heat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Criminal Minded posted:

In addition to what others have mentioned, this year's edition of Steph Curry is, statistically speaking, a much better match to his '13-'14 version than his '14-'15, and especially '15-'16, version. It's possible that's just to do with the effects of adding Durant, but maybe not.

The likelihood of Curry repeating his 2016 shooting was very low. Best shooting season of all-time by nearly every metric.

Dejan Bimble posted:

The Rockets are better than the Spurs but in the playoffs, they live or die based on whether the refs call dick touches as defensive fouls, I'd give them a 55% chance to beat the Spurs in the playoffs

Lockback posted:

If Houston catches fire they could theoretically beat anyone. I'm not sure I'd say that about the Clippers.

I don't have faith in HOU and their defense.

Metapod posted:

zogo the brow is a superstar wtf are you talking about

He's not even in the MVP conversation.

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

Dejan Bimble posted:

If the 76ers get the first overall pick again I'm going to fill a basketball with TNT sticks and put it on top of a big fancy cake at Adam Silver's birthday party

It's worse then that, if they were to win the lotto it means they are probably getting the Lakers pick as well.

Imagine the Sixers getting Fultz and Monk.
Fultz
Monk
Simmons
Saric
Embiid.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

chilihead posted:

It's worse then that, if they were to win the lotto it means they are probably getting the Lakers pick as well.

Fultz
Monk
Simmons
Saric
Embiid.

Embiid is fun but right now I wouldn't be counting on him for long term until he can finish a season.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

IcePhoenix posted:

Zogobot I have a weird random question for you: what's the most consecutive games two specific teammates scored at least 20 points in each game? Because Wiggins and KAT have both scored 20+ in 15 games straight and I know when Wiggins got to 17 they made a big deal about him breaking a franchise record for most consecutive 20 point games (KG had 16 a few times).

If I had to guess it would be Shaq/Kobe or Durant/Russ with the record.

I would think that's close to the record. I looked around and didn't see anything longer. Jerry West and Elgin Baylor had fourteen straight together in 1968.

Here are all the 40/40 teammate games in NBA history:

Regular season:

1. Baltimore Bullets vs. Los Angeles Lakers, November 14, 1964 (Gus Johnson 41, Walt Bellamy 40)

2. Los Angeles Lakers at San Francisco Warriors, February 11, 1970 (Elgin Baylor 43, Jerry West 43)

3. New Orleans Jazz vs. Denver Nuggets, April 10, 1977 (Pete Maravich 45, Nate Williams 41)

4. Phoenix Suns at Boston Celtics, January 5, 1978 (Paul Westphal 43, Walter Davis 40)

5. San Antonio Spurs vs. Milwaukee Bucks, March 6, 1982 (3 OT) (George Gervin 50, Mike Mitchell 45)

6. Detroit Pistons at Denver Nuggets, December 13, 1983 (3 OT) (Isiah Thomas 47, John Long 41)

7. Denver Nuggets vs. Detroit Pistons, December 13, 1983 (3 OT) (Kiki Vandeweghe 51, Alex English 47)

8. Utah Jazz vs. Detroit Pistons, March 19, 1984 (Adrian Dantley 43, John Drew 42)

9. Chicago Bulls at Indiana Pacers, February 18, 1996 (Michael Jordan 44, Scottie Pippen 40)

10. Oklahoma City Thunder vs. Denver Nuggets, February 19, 2012 (1 OT) (Kevin Durant 51, Russell Westbrook 40)

11. Oklahoma City Thunder vs. Minnesota Timberwolves, March 23, 2012 (2 OT) (Russell Westbrook 45, Kevin Durant 40)

12. Oklahoma City Thunder at Orlando Magic, October 30, 2015 (2 OT) (Russell Westbrook 48, Kevin Durant 43)

Playoffs:

1. Los Angeles Lakers at Detroit Pistons, March 29, 1962 (Elgin Baylor 45, Jerry West 41)

2. Houston Rockets at Dallas Mavericks, April 30, 1988 (Eric "Sleepy" Floyd 42, Hakeem Olajuwon 41)

3. Houston Rockets vs. Utah Jazz, May 5, 1995 (Clyde Drexler 41, Hakeem Olajuwon 40)

4. Indiana Pacers vs. Philadelphia 76ers, May 6, 2000 (Reggie Miller 40, Jalen Rose 40)

5. Cleveland Cavaliers at Golden State Warriors, June 13, 2016 (Kyrie Irving 41, LeBron James 41)

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Zogobot run a search for the team with the most players with the same last name.

Dale Davis and Antonio Davis of the 1990s Pacers are a good duo.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

euphronius posted:

pretty sure you max Embiid . If he has an injury and never plays, you can get salary cap relief.

seriously tho how much do they get to save on that max if they prevent him from being an all-star or a ROTY ?

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
ad is a star but I too would hesitate to so quickly name him a superstar. Like a nervous tugging of the collar while looking sideways and quickly changing the topic kind of hesitate. Would you call KAT a superstar for example

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://twitter.com/bleacherreport/status/837113525151612929

Dawg look at this lmao

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Norris Cole is a Thunder.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Zogo posted:

He's not even in the MVP conversation.

Thats largely due to his team being rear end and barely in playoff contention.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Being 6'10+ is wasted on people who are actually 6'10+

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Spoeank posted:

I bet he had the very overrated Adalbertos

Dude all of Sacramento knows that you go to Chando's and no where else.

Torta adobada is worth whatever happens to you

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

EvanTH posted:

seriously tho how much do they get to save on that max if they prevent him from being an all-star or a ROTY ?

0 really.

you cant gently caress with the guy. hes not beta like steph.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

:rip:

https://twitter.com/malitzd/status/837121546300829696

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

lmao

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Current theories are that Lawson got sick from either:
1) El Rey. Kenny Thomas' restaurant outside the arena. Overcrowded, so-so service, and small tacos that range from $4-$5. He deserves what he gets for eating there
2) Tako. Korean tacos. If they give you food poisoning...uh...it was worth it

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Zogo posted:

Dale Davis and Antonio Davis of the 1990s Pacers are a good duo.

My favorite duo!!!

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

euphronius posted:

pretty sure you max Embiid . If he has an injury and never plays, you can get salary cap relief.

there's a whole lot of grey between not getting hurt, outside the norm, and having a career ender that ends with your salary coming off the books and even then it isn't some instantaneous thing. It's just as, if not more, likely you end up paying a guy $25 million a year to play ~50 games a season that you can never rely on to be healthy for the playoffs than for him to just get a career ending injury and you only pay him the max for like half the contract instead

I'm not saying don't max him, a lot obviously depends on next season, but I disagree with that logic related to his health.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Pistons shot 3/17 from the line tonight which was the lowest percentage in NBA history, minimum 10 attempts.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

chilihead posted:

Fultz
Monk
Simmons
Saric
Embiid.

Three of those five will miss 60+ games.

The key is figuring out which three.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Kibner posted:

Pistons shot 3/17 from the line tonight which was the lowest percentage in NBA history, minimum 10 attempts.

Several of those misses (and only 2 of those makes) were not even Andre Drummond!

A lot of that game can be explained by playing an OT game the night before but not that.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

"Rebounding barely matters"

Seriously?

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Why did Colangelo trade Noel instead of this man

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

What is the timeline for Embiid's injury, did the front office know how bad it was while trading away Noel?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Pistons are in such a weird spot right now with their second unit being way better than their first unit. Reggie Jackson is so busted and SVG can't bench him because Ish works too well coming off the bench.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I'd rather pay Embiid a max deal and hope hes healthy then gently caress the relationship

If he is turbo hosed it doesn't matter anyway.

IMHO.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

His second fa deal is much more of an issue tho. If he makes it that far.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Zogo posted:

I would think that's close to the record. I looked around and didn't see anything longer. Jerry West and Elgin Baylor had fourteen straight together in 1968.

That's pretty cool :)

It's at 16 now after tonight's pasting of the Jazz btw.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Jota posted:

So Embiid tore his meniscus at some point in time, kept playing until he got a bone bruise which required an MRI. The torn meniscus was discovered during the MRI, they then let him play a national TV game against the Rockets with both the bone bruise and the torn meniscus while stating that the tear was minor and not that big a deal. And now the last MRI revealed the bone bruise is healing fine but the meniscus tear is actually not as minor as believed but it won't require surgery. But it will still keep him out for the year.

Cool, cool.

Also the team is still trying to say it isn't a serious injury and won't impact his long term health despite having him miss the last 3 1/2 months of the season.

This unironically sounds exactly like the story from Bynum's first knee injury

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Chinese stats are great.
http://basketball.realgm.com/international/league/40/Chinese-CBA/stats/2017/Averages/Qualified/All/points/All/desc/1

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Do you guys want to do a prediction contest for the rest of the season and pool prizes based on category.

I've got a scottie pippen action figure thats worth 12 dollars on ebay
A mini basketball with JORDAN CHAMPION screenprinted
And a graded 8 VINCE CARTER Rookie card to throw in the prize pool

If I dont know, 5 or 8 other people want to throw in some random piece of basketball ephermera in the next 2 days then we can set up a thread, predict record, predict 3p% leader, I dont know, we can come up with some more entertaining categories. Sports are more fun when there's something on the line.

I just bought a trash can shaped like a basketball hoop but I like it a little bit too much to give it away as a prize.

If you're in, just quote this and suggest your stupid basketball prize, then we can decide what to compete over. We don't all have to throw in secret santa style, but the more random junk exchanged the more fun it will be.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Joel Embiid has 786 NBA minutes. His last college game was 3 years ago today (March 1)

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
https://streamable.com/bd0gh

Here's Kawhi's game winner from tonight.

This is how you know Paul George is a good defender, the travel totally throws him off.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Rockets lose to the Pacers, go on to beat the Clippers by like 25 points

https://twitter.com/ConradBuckets/status/837173384047968256

chunkles fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Mar 2, 2017

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Great game tonight, really glad to have a defensive minded coach.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

the rockets tied the nba record for 3s in a quarter in the 3rd and had 20 3s in 3 quarters then missed 15 in a row in the 14th quarter and then ended up the game shooting just slightly above their season average at 38% and won by 20 so i guess what im saying is daryl morey's spreadsheet for this game checks out

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Papes posted:

Thats largely due to his team being rear end and barely in playoff contention.

His weak team is why he has no shot at winning the award. But I'm talking even within SAS and this thread. I don't recall anyone around here calling for AD to win MVP this season. Back in 2015 when he was putting up much stronger numbers it was a different story.

It's hard for a big man to win the MVP these days. You have to go back to 2000 to find a center that won it and then 1995. Both of those guys led the league in both OWS and DWS (very hard to do). We might never see that again.

RCarr posted:

"Rebounding barely matters"

Seriously?

The Warriors and Cavaliers are below average rebounding teams. Meanwhile teams like the Pistons, Nuggets, Hornets, Bulls and Thunder are the elite rebounding teams.

The correlation this season between WP% and ORB% is .11 (barely significant). The correlation between WP% and DRB% is .02 (no correlation).

Back in 2007 the correlation between WP% and DRB% was in the .5 range (very significant). In 1997 it was even more important at .65

Back in the 1970s both sides of rebounding were important to winning. Then offensive rebounding became less relevant and now in the last twenty years defensive rebounding has followed suit.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Kings lost to the Nets at home meaning that Vlade went ahead and created the worst team in the league. That pick swap with Philly is still very much in play even without Embiid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

G-Hawk posted:

the rockets tied the nba record for 3s in a quarter in the 3rd and had 20 3s in 3 quarters then missed 15 in a row in the 14th quarter and then ended up the game shooting just slightly above their season average at 38% and won by 20 so i guess what im saying is daryl morey's spreadsheet for this game checks out

They wanted that record so bad despite being clinically unable to hit anything in the 4th

Passed up on open layups, jacked up super long threes including bombing contested ones with a 20 point lead and 3 minutes left in the game with like 16 left on the shot clock

• Locked thread