Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

I'm kind of excited to see how Into The Rift turns out. It appears to be a platformer or Metroidvania that uses stick and sword combat. This clip gets me really amped, bu I think it has a long way to go though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

drat, sucks to hear that RCRU is so bad and stuck in the past for all of the wrong reasons.

I hope the devs aren't stubborn purists and actually listen to critique and add options for modern conveniences.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Hollow Knight is pretty great so far. I haven't reached the end yet, but it'll have to completely fall apart on the finish line for me to change my mind about it.

I enjoy the way the game takes an almost perverse degree of pleasure in not telling me anything about the protagonist. He's silent, and his goals are none of my business. Where am I going and what am I supposed to do when I get there? Don't ask, because you ain't getting a quest log. All I know is I'll probably fight Bug Dracula at some point as that is the local custom in this genre. This is all clearly deliberate, as I keep running into a large cast of recurring characters all of whom will gladly tell me everything about their venerable race and their favorite mining songs and the proud and ancient history of the ruined kingdoms I keep meeting them in.

In terms of gameplay, Hollow Knight feels very fair. At the very beginning you only get a jump and a basic melee attack, but I never once felt like getting hit or dying was anything other than my own lack of care or skill. It's all very smooth, precise and well balanced. The character progression makes Hollow Knight a lot more powerful and versatile as the game goes on without becoming overpowered or feeling weak at the start.

Miscellaneous pros:
-I love every one of these cute li'l bug people. They have minimalist designs yet they still manage to be visually distinct and have a lot of character.
-That one recurring boss you get in these games who's basically you but better.
-Zones are visually distinct from one another, each with their own enemy types and environmental hazards.
-Just generally full of care and detail to an extent that's frankly heroic for an indie game.

Minor nitpicks:
-Performance issues in the most heavily populated areas.
-There might be a lot of variety from zone to zone, but within a zone it all looks quite samey. This makes it easy to get lost before you find the zone map.
-In terms of character progression, it takes a bit to get going.
-Save points are a bit scarce. The game saves your progress with items, abilities and currency gained all the time, but not your location, and it can be a bit of a hike from save point to save point.
-I want to hug all the little caterpillar babies but the game won't let me.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Anyone played Aragami? I like my co-op games.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

deep dish peat moss posted:

The best part of River City Ransom was the fact that it lead to us getting Crash 'n' The Boys which is the game that really should have been remade :colbert:

There kinda is already, sorta:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/326340

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

NmareBfly posted:

The original RCR also had the part near the end where the you come up some stairs and the double dragon music starts playing then you fight the Dragon Twins, which was completely mindblowing when you were a kid because poo poo like that just doesn't happen in video games.

I didn't play the original and would have loved this as a kid. Hell, I love the thought of it now.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Kibayasu posted:

I thought Battlefleet Gothic was good? Have I been misinformed or is this one of those situations where it's good unless you play the multiplayer (which I won't).

According to recent steam reviews, the multiplayer scene is deader than dead.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Rirse posted:

Which is another thing that was annoying with the new game. The tutorial is from the end of the first game, with you entering River City High. But none of the music from the game plays there, instead some generic song plays instead. Even the Twins you mention show up in the tutorial, but it just a generic battle theme instead.
Do they at least use the same moves? That was the best part of the game.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Gort posted:

Anyone played Aragami? I like my co-op games.

I played it and loved it. You can teleport to any shadows so that let's you do some neat dishonored poo poo sometimes.

It's very easy and a bit basic at times though. I liked it and found it really chill and relaxing taking out all the guards. It's also fairly fast paced if you don't mind playing a bit risky or care about score (you shouldn't).

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Scalding Coffee posted:

Do they at least use the same moves? That was the best part of the game.

They give you Stone Hands, Acro Circus and Dragon Feet in the tutorial.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Do the twins use Cyclone Kick and Hyper Uppercut?

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Too Shy Guy posted:

:megaman: PLATFORMEBRUARY 2017 :megaman:

27. The Sun At Night

Wait is that map really wanting you to mentally construct 3-dimensional space by pretending that the 2D playing fields are set at right angles to each other?? What the actual hell :psydwarf:

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Yikes A Zombie! posted:

I'm kind of excited to see how Into The Rift turns out. It appears to be a platformer or Metroidvania that uses stick and sword combat. This clip gets me really amped, bu I think it has a long way to go though.

I generally am sick to death of platformers but this actually looks like it might be extremely my poo poo

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Deakul posted:

drat, sucks to hear that RCRU is so bad and stuck in the past for all of the wrong reasons.

I hope the devs aren't stubborn purists and actually listen to critique and add options for modern conveniences.

To be perfectly honest I'm mostly baffled by how this thread has spontaneously decided that RCRU is The Worst since I enjoyed the time I was able to put into it last night.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

HookedOnChthonics posted:

Wait is that map really wanting you to mentally construct 3-dimensional space by pretending that the 2D playing fields are set at right angles to each other?? What the actual hell :psydwarf:

That's exactly what it's doing. And considering every level is the size of a small metroidvania game on its own, it gets a little complicated trying to remember where everything is or how to get there. It's so bad that I think if you don't do each level in a single sitting you're going to miss something important.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Ikari Worrier posted:

To be perfectly honest I'm mostly baffled by how this thread has spontaneously decided that RCRU is The Worst since I enjoyed the time I was able to put into it last night.

You must not read this thread much.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Re: RCRU

I'm sort of shocked at how bereft of flavor content the game seems so far. I've found three malls which, combined, have less store variety than a single mall in the NES game. I mean, one could argue that hundreds of different stat up items would complicate things, but being able to go to the chinese place, the coffee shop, the ice cream place, the CD store, etc. gave the old game a lot of character and I'm at a loss as to why they would pare that down so significantly.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Alien: Isolation Collection can be had for €8.27 over at BundleStars.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It's missing the best part of Crash 'n' The Boys which was collecting coins (often at the cost of losing the event) to buy sneaky tricks and traps for your opponents :(

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Ikari Worrier posted:

Once you get decent stats and most of your character's moves unlocked it's really fun. The problem is to get to that point you have to do so much grinding and wade through so many bad design decisions that it's not really worth it.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I honestly don't mind piss-hard games with hostile environments, as the thought of beating up endless swarms o dudes to get money and stats is the definition of a fun time for me.

But the lack of health drops/recovery at safe zones and, oh yeah, repeatedly losing my save progress, is a mild kick in the dick.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ikari Worrier posted:

It has flaws for sure, but i don't think it is anywhere near bad and is pretty enjoyable once you get the hang of it. Adding a leveling system that sets a stat cap was a stroke of stupid for sure, as is the total lack of meaningful move descriptions. They pretty much (stupidly) assumed everyone that was going to play this game was intimately familiar with the systems in the original game, which is why nothing is explained.

A few things:

-going into one of the many hideouts gets rid of the police.
-spend your money on healing items and get food to go. Food raises your stats permanently, on top of healing you just like in the original.
-if you are about to die, eat your food, but if you only have a couple dollars and aren't trying to beat a boss, go ahead and die, the only penalty is losing money that you don't have.
-a few zones left of the starting garage, is Mao's Place, and a sauna. Both of theses spots are great for healing and early stat gains. Hang out by the healing and earn some money, then dash over to the trainer a few screens right of the garage.
-there is no healing right near the starting garage, and this is where a lot of people are getting stuck in a downward spiral at.
-Will Power is like a stamina reserve tank. If you have any, you don't die when you run out of stamina.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

moller posted:

Re: RCRU

I'm sort of shocked at how bereft of flavor content the game seems so far. I've found three malls which, combined, have less store variety than a single mall in the NES game. I mean, one could argue that hundreds of different stat up items would complicate things, but being able to go to the chinese place, the coffee shop, the ice cream place, the CD store, etc. gave the old game a lot of character and I'm at a loss as to why they would pare that down so significantly.

But are smiles still free? That's key.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

It's missing the best part of Crash 'n' The Boys which was collecting coins (often at the cost of losing the event) to buy sneaky tricks and traps for your opponents :(

That's why I mentioned kinda, sorta :/ There needs to be more games with that type of street style Olympics with ways to sneakily screw over your opponent, imo.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

But are smiles still free? That's key.

Yes, but they are now tinged with sadness.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I still like RCRU but it's a hard-sell when you start. Summing it up, I'd say This isn't the NES days anymore. That sums up a lot of the issues that bug me and if you have a hard time getting past that you won't like it. There's other issues too that aren't dumb LIKE THE GOOD OL' DAYS nostalgia decisions but for me they make up the majority of the problems.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Mar 2, 2017

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I'm trying to enjoy Hollow Knight but losing all money on death doesn't make the game difficult just tedious when I have to grind it back and no, the banker isn't a solution, especially if I have to go all the way back to them whenever I need to buy something from shops.

Also why does every game need to have dark souls-like mechanics? Please God try something new/different. Reducing my max magic reserves is annoying when you run into an enemy that can only be hurt by magic and I spend more time waiting to get magic back because you capped me. That's not difficulty just, once again, tedious. Stop wasting my time.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Why the gently caress does the bottle of milk just break for no drat reason when you put it down sometimes in RCR?

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Red Mundus posted:

I'm trying to enjoy Hollow Knight but losing all money on death doesn't make the game difficult just tedious when I have to grind it back and no, the banker isn't a solution, especially if I have to go all the way back to them whenever I need to buy something from shops.
You realize you get it all back from the shade where you died right? It's only lost if you die a second time. Outside of the endgame areas you should rarely be far from a bench either, so the run back shouldn't be too long. If you are, there's probably a bench along the way you missed. Once you get a simple key you can retrieve your shade via a NPC by the town for a price, if you want to play it safe.

quote:

Also why does every game need to have dark souls-like mechanics? Please God try something new/different. Reducing my max magic reserves is annoying when you run into an enemy that can only be hurt by magic and I spend more time waiting to get magic back because you capped me. That's not difficulty just, once again, tedious. Stop wasting my time.
I'm curious where you're running into so many melee-immune enemies it's actually frustrating you. The only ones I can think of that aren't basically environmental hazards are the minibosses right after you get the fireball. The reduced magic meter is basically there to be a reminder that you've got a shade somewhere.

Threep fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Mar 2, 2017

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Well this is some bullshit:

(You can't even choose the straight 66%)

Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

Finally got around to beating Princess Remedy in a Heap of Trouble. Great game, but absolute bullet hell at the end and the final boss is hard as nails but I finally got 102%.

This developer is insane btw. There is a hidden difficulty mode called REALLYDAD where you can play it in 3D mode. I tried it. The controls are ridiculous, as is the whole situation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X-bg-rwHns

Yikes A Zombie! fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Mar 2, 2017

moller
Jan 10, 2007

In River City Ransom, does anyone know how to hurricanrana? Or shooting star, for that matter?

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Wallpaper Engine is cool and is something you should add to your wishlist so you don't forget it's a thing that exists.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Anyone know what this Blackwake thing is in the Top Seller slot today ?

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

moller posted:

In River City Ransom, does anyone know how to hurricanrana? Or shooting star, for that matter?
Any <$10 move is more than likely going to be a variation on your basic combo.
So instead of Punch Punch Punch. You can Punch Punch Kick! Or Kick Kick Punch!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yikes A Zombie! posted:

Finally got around to beating Princess Remedy in a Heap of Trouble. Great game, but absolute bullet hell at the end and the final boss is hard as nails but I finally got 102%.

This developer is insane btw. There is a hidden difficulty mode called REALLYDAD where you can play it in 3D mode. I tried it. The controls are ridiculous, as is the whole situation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X-bg-rwHns

That REALLYDAD difficulty is an in joke that Daniel Remar puts in all their games and it's always some insane difficulty. It was in Hero Core, Iji, and Hyper Princess Pitch. Also want to add both Princess Remedy games are good and so are the ones I mentioned.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Sextro posted:

Anyone know what this Blackwake thing is in the Top Seller slot today ?

Multiplayer physics shenanigans. Two (or more?) teams each have a Age of Sail boat and have to sink the other boat or kill all its crew. It's not a very serious game, and this trailer gives a pretty good sense of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIZ7c72WsA0

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I'm thinking of replacing my seven-year laptop with something decent, since I'm having trouble running Witcher 3 and probably won't be able to run Shadow of War - what's something good for about $1100-1000 USD at the moment?

(Based on $1500 NZD)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

WarpedNaba posted:

I'm thinking of replacing my seven-year laptop with something decent, since I'm having trouble running Witcher 3 and probably won't be able to run Shadow of War - what's something good for about $1100-1000 USD at the moment?

(Based on $1500 NZD)

you want another laptop or can you swing a desktop?

• Locked thread