Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I got my raider to rep 4 and now I'm sittin here like what do I do for a class that is actually good

And the only one that really interests me outside of raider is valkyrie right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?

signalnoise posted:

I got my raider to rep 4 and now I'm sittin here like what do I do for a class that is actually good

And the only one that really interests me outside of raider is valkyrie right now

Well good news, Valk is actually really good now :black101:

Frozenfries
Nov 1, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Not like you really need steel for packs until you hit renown 3 anyways. There's one execution I really want though, which i'll save up for next.

Is it Insert New Spine? No regrets on buying that execution, it is absurdly satisfying slamming your nodachi into an rear end in a top hat assassin and using them as a sheath. Best execution in the game IMO.

I'm almost at prestige 3 with Kensei too, and am excited to bring the pimping out to a match in my sick bright orange set up.

EDIT: Also can confirm now that his top heavy after a side dash light is gone.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Haroshia posted:

Me but the opposite. I started Conq, decided to try the less played classes, mained Lawbringer for a while then Raider and felt frustrated about the game. Then switched back to Conq and now the game feels easy as gently caress.

I will live and die a Lawbringer main.

You will see, YOU WILL ALL SEE.

Gunna take you for a ride!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsfhADiaP5E

E: Unless they ban my rear end...

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
It sure is cool and balanced that the PK gets over two bars of damage on every guardbreak now.

EDIT: I loving love not being able to switch my guard fast enough to react to enemy attacks because of my character is handicapped with terrible frames.

This game is really fun.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Mar 2, 2017

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Red Mundus posted:

Yeah bash attacks are, outside of bugs, the biggest issue this game has. It's not exactly a coincidence that the top 4 classes have bashes. The tracking on bashes is really what makes them overpowered and the fact that it's really easy to combo guarantees off of them and chain back into the bash to repeat.
making them track less would be a good change. there are situations where i do not feel like it is a vortex, but rather that i cannot act unless they gently caress up the rotation.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

It sure is cool and balanced that the PK gets over two bars of damage on every guardbreak now.

Ill take that since ive noticed the better range and tracking on moves makes it far easier to smack her around to her doom.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

How the gently caress do you even play as Shugoki against Orochi? Or anyone, really? Slow attacks, slow movement, enemies attack so fast I can't physically change guard quick enough...he's not fun so far. Anyone got a link to a guide or something?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

10 Beers posted:

How the gently caress do you even play as Shugoki against Orochi? Or anyone, really? Slow attacks, slow movement, enemies attack so fast I can't physically change guard quick enough...he's not fun so far. Anyone got a link to a guide or something?

Don't bother with your charged heavies. Honestly I don't usually use them these days. Use your lights, chain into a headbutt, GB into a wall followed by a heavy+headbutt or Demon's Embrace. Also know you get a free GB after a parry.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I normally main Lawbringer and Nobushi and decided to give Raider a shot tonight, and though I really don't like playing Raider in singleplayer, holy poo poo this character rules against other people. It's like an aggressive Lawbringer, this poo poo owns. More people should be Raider. I mean, less people should so that it's more unique, but goddamn the campaign does not get across how fun Raider is against people.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Whalley posted:

I normally main Lawbringer and Nobushi and decided to give Raider a shot tonight, and though I really don't like playing Raider in singleplayer, holy poo poo this character rules against other people. It's like an aggressive Lawbringer, this poo poo owns. More people should be Raider. I mean, less people should so that it's more unique, but goddamn the campaign does not get across how fun Raider is against people.

You're in for one hell of a surprise when you play a good character then!

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
I am traveling and can't play as, well as a bit sick, so watching streams of the game sometimes.

I also wandered into Galahad's stream. You know that thing thing where you 'unlock>attack>lock'? Apparently if you unlock, turn 180° to the left, throw a left side heavy as you turn back to the right, then lock it hits faster than a light. Something like that. No access to the game so can't test it myself. Think it has to do with the side heavies having a 180° arc or something. Extremely hard to pull off and definitely as cheesy as the light>zone attack flicker thing, but also really consistent if you get the timing right. You get weird stuff like the blood splatter showing up behind you before your weapon has come close to hitting the opponent.

Not true for everyone I know, but the game is hard enough for me in terms of timing without this sort of weirdness becoming necessary.

Duder X
Mar 28, 2004

I just fought a orochi who did two things I've never seen before.

They feinted a GB. Is this a thing, or a bug? The GB warning came up on them and I hit the button to counter and was met with a light attack to the face.

They used a single attack that flashed red on the left and then the right, and hit on the right. It wasn't a feint, it was just one attack that showed them both. I switched guard to left and then they attack right, too fast for me to switch again. Again, is this a thing? Is this the 'exploit' that I've read about where you do a zone attack and it shows an attack coming from one side and then hits from the other?

I asked the person I was dueling and they didn't say anything.

I've reached the point in the ranks mentioned earlier in this thread at which people get super pissed and rage quit and/or throw salt, and do nothing but throw out every exploit imaginable. The vast majority of duels are warden, warlord, conq, or valk using bash chains. I just need to power through this bullshit and either go up or back down...

EDIT: Also, is my impression correct that at the highest levels of play heavy attack largely falls away? Most fights I'm in now are picking away at someone with light attacks. Heavy attacks are rare; almost exclusively when I actually manage to knock someone down.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Zone attacks tend to show one direction for a moment before changing to the true attack direction. They're much easier to recognize by character animation than guard direction indicators.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Been messing around with AI matches - think real PVP won't be far behind :)

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

satanic splash-back posted:

You're in for one hell of a surprise when you play a good character then!
oh are they adding some

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.
Yeah, a centurion armed with a rifle.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Berserker is really fun and a nice change from Warlord. It's amazing how much mileage you can get out of mix-ups from feinting the heavy hit in the chain.

Duder X
Mar 28, 2004

I think that is precisely berserker's design intention. Their top heavy is really easy to avoid, but does so much damage that it demands attention. If you can land it, great. Whether or not you can land it, though, you can feint it and deal some damage.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Sogol posted:

I am traveling and can't play as, well as a bit sick, so watching streams of the game sometimes.

I also wandered into Galahad's stream. You know that thing thing where you 'unlock>attack>lock'? Apparently if you unlock, turn 180° to the left, throw a left side heavy as you turn back to the right, then lock it hits faster than a light. Something like that. No access to the game so can't test it myself. Think it has to do with the side heavies having a 180° arc or something. Extremely hard to pull off and definitely as cheesy as the light>zone attack flicker thing, but also really consistent if you get the timing right. You get weird stuff like the blood splatter showing up behind you before your weapon has come close to hitting the opponent.

Not true for everyone I know, but the game is hard enough for me in terms of timing without this sort of weirdness becoming necessary.

He is really REALLY making it more complicated than it is. I don't think you have to throw your mouse around that hard, cause I can do the same thing on a controller. Yes, it will speed up heavies but he is forgetting that while he spazes, you cannot counter guard breaks. He needs to get the attack out faster. This also only works for certain attacks, cause the tracking can be strong enough that it snaps you back into the correct orientation for a lot of the moves in the game. The heavy for the Lawbringer for example, has a habit of whiffing completely if you do this. The moves which are a thrust can be made to combo sooner. For example, the second light of the Raider can be made to combo completely from the firstlight if you do the same unlock tech thing for the Lawbringer light shove, cause he thrusts his axe in the attack. I suspect that 180° attacks can do this same thing if you angle yourself correctly.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Nobushi is fun, but I can't use Hidden Stance at all.

First off the zone in which the right thumbstick goes into seems really, really small. I can do it if I'm just practicing, but I have yet to do it in a fight.

Second, I don't exactly understand what it does. Does it deflect? Does it dodge like iframes? Several times I thought that it deflected an attack, but it might have been that I was actually just in Left or Right guard stance.

Third, is there any benefit besides possibly being able to land an attack that my opponent can't see coming?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I think it has dodge immunity at the beginning and it moves her hitbox slightly back so you can dodge some attacks but I'm really not sure. You can cancel some attacks into it right? Maybe there's a mixup or something you can do idk

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Spent 30 quid on an Xbox One controller. Have had it for about a week, and already the right bumper is busted. Either it doesn't register at all, or it registers by mistake. So many parries I've done go unpunished cause right bumper is a crappy piece of poo poo. Honestly the worst feeling ever.

Went onto 1v1 and used left bumper to change between 1 and 2v2, worked fine. Using right bumper, it either doesn't work, or spams the signal.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

fadam posted:

I think it has dodge immunity at the beginning and it moves her hitbox slightly back so you can dodge some attacks but I'm really not sure. You can cancel some attacks into it right? Maybe there's a mixup or something you can do idk

It lets you use a couple moves straight out of it, the unblockable kick being the most useful. I'm not sure if it creates distance, but you can use it to feint. It seems cool, I just can't loving do it in real time because the zone for it on the right thumbstick is so small.

Oh yeah, for PS4 the Kick is on Square so you can't use it while in hidden stance because you have to keep the thumbstick down.

Yorkshire Pudding fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Mar 2, 2017

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Can anyone explain to me how to beat Warlords? It feels like no matter what I do with feints or dodges they can just block whatever or zone attack through my light attacks.

Duder X
Mar 28, 2004

Re: Nobushi
I switched from controller to M&K to pull off hidden stance. It is impossible to implement practically on a controller.

Nobushi does STUPID high damage with only a few hits. A three-hit light combo can half someone's life. They stand back and use their range. If someone crowds you, kick to send them back or block to quick dodge away. Hidden stance is all about switching it up. It counts as the first hit of a combo, so you can come out with a light attack; if it hits, you get another guaranteed light attack. That's really high damage. The class has really high combo potential.

Re: Warlords
According to Ubisoft, they're a bit OP in 1v1 fights right now. A WL who goes all-out defense is incredibly difficult to beat. There isn't really a not-class-specific way to set up hits; you have to wait until they mess up. Kill them with light attacks, but careful not to do so when they're using a heavy against you. Parrying into GB is a good bet, or just poking at them.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Duder X posted:

Re: Nobushi
I switched from controller to M&K to pull off hidden stance. It is impossible to implement practically on a controller.

Nobushi does STUPID high damage with only a few hits. A three-hit light combo can half someone's life. They stand back and use their range. If someone crowds you, kick to send them back or block to quick dodge away. Hidden stance is all about switching it up. It counts as the first hit of a combo, so you can come out with a light attack; if it hits, you get another guaranteed light attack. That's really high damage. The class has really high combo potential.

I'm on PS4 so unfortunately I can't switch to M/KB even if I wanted to. I guess this issue is that if I want to be good I just have to practice a lot. It's a lovely design but realistically there's no where else they could put it.

Duder X
Mar 28, 2004

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I'm on PS4 so unfortunately I can't switch to M/KB even if I wanted to. I guess this issue is that if I want to be good I just have to practice a lot. It's a lovely design but realistically there's no where else they could put it.

Ah, then yeah. I practiced for about an hour and couldn't pull it off. I wish you luck! The trick I found is not to push any other button at all while doing it.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Where did this whole honor thing originate from?

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Oh yeah, for PS4 the Kick is on Square so you can't use it while in hidden stance because you have to keep the thumbstick down.

You can, you just have to hit it fast enough. There's a very brief window between letting go of the stick and your character coming out of hidden stance.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Duck and Cover posted:

Literally from the title as far as I know. That and any game with 1v1 that's skill based will bring out those type of people.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Duck and Cover posted:

This is a bizarre question.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Duder X posted:

According to Ubisoft, they're a bit OP in 1v1 fights right now. A WL who goes all-out defense is incredibly difficult to beat. There isn't really a not-class-specific way to set up hits; you have to wait until they mess up. Kill them with light attacks, but careful not to do so when they're using a heavy against you. Parrying into GB is a good bet, or just poking at them.

Only way I can see to beat a Warlord is to bait him into a parry with an unblockable, that you cancel. If he just blocks everything instead of attempting parries, there's nothing you can do to get him if he can tech out of guardbreaks too. So I'd try feinting him with an unblockable, that he'd either be forced to dodge or parry, but poo poo yeah he could just dodge to be safe. Maybe kick / vortex him into a wall to stagger him?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Duck and Cover posted:

Well, let's see. The game is called for honor, so people assumed there would be honor.

There isn't. Whatever content hungry starved dark souls player wanted, this game is a good three course meal

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

God, it's crazy how much more forgiving Warlord is than Berserker. I think I'm like 2 for 15 in duels tonight.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

fadam posted:

God, it's crazy how much more forgiving Warlord is than Berserker. I think I'm like 2 for 15 in duels tonight.

I literally can't beat them. If I go for light attacks they just do uninterrupted heavies through it. If I try to guard break them they instantly break it. If I dodge around them and deliver an attack they just keep their combo going and hit you for a third of your health.

My strategy in elimination is to just walk around them changing my stance while they turtle hoping my team kills his team then shows up to help me gang bang him.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

How to beat warlord / conq

toss them in a ditch where they belong

gently caress trying to find a gap in their defenses

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Hey guys, I just got this game a few days ago and tried reading the last 15 pages to get an idea of where the game is at but the lingo and various metas have changed so much since the OP that it's kinda impregnable from a newbie standpoint. A FG style OP with short character b&bs and an overview of the general flow of a match and how to gain initiative along with a glossary of For Honor specific character combo terms/properties (bashes, vortex) would help myself and any other new players get a grip on the mechanics faster.

I'm in this weird place where I started out playing on realistic in single player so I find it easy to block, parry and dodge most heroes but am unsure of how to best take advantage of it and mount an offensive where I gain the initiative. I'm sticking with warden while I'm learning the game since their toolset doesnt seem to be very input heavy, but I've also begun dabbling in Orochi since I like dangerous mobile mixup chars in other FGs.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Red Mundus posted:

Literally from the title as far as I know. That and any game with 1v1 that's skill based will bring out those type of people.

Fargin Icehole posted:

Well, let's see. The game is called for honor, so people assumed there would be honor.

There isn't. Whatever content hungry starved dark souls player wanted, this game is a good three course meal

People are dumb. I was thinking their might be an interesting origin.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Mar 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

People can use auto block cheats on ps4. Ha sucks for all the people that bought the console version to avoid cheaters.

By the way I feel like I haven't run into any hackers yet on PC? Well at least non noticable ones.