Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yes, lateral movement is good. It's something that good candidates often ask about during interviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Femtosecond posted:

I know an artist at EA who modelled all the stadiums for one game, then on the next project he was disappointed when he was assigned to model all the stadiums again. He had somehow become "the stadium guy" and he got bored and left.

Heh, same with my dad at EA. He wasn't an artist but was in charge of the FIFA stadium crowds when technology went from allowing 2d sprites to 3d polygon models. He lasted two years and quit.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/VinceSharma/status/837082008312561664

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
"soft landing"

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yo people in this thread who actually know things about buildings:

I was curious and thinking about shared laundry and stuff: in buildings that have shared laundry rather than a built-in one for each apartment, is it hard/easy/impossible to put one into your individual apartment if you decide you want your own laundry anyway? Assuming in this theoretical that the person owns the apartment, so no landlord issues.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
You just need to be able to route the exhaust somewhere. I've heard you can legally route it through your kitchen fan duct.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

namaste faggots posted:

You just need to be able to route the exhaust somewhere. I've heard you can legally route it through your kitchen fan duct.

That is assuming it's not like my old place where the kitchen fan just exhausted back into the kitchen itself.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

namaste faggots posted:

Oh so there's no real issue with plumbing and stuff? That's cool, I always figured it would be really hard to do.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

HookShot posted:

Yo people in this thread who actually know things about buildings:

I was curious and thinking about shared laundry and stuff: in buildings that have shared laundry rather than a built-in one for each apartment, is it hard/easy/impossible to put one into your individual apartment if you decide you want your own laundry anyway? Assuming in this theoretical that the person owns the apartment, so no landlord issues.

Strata might have something to say about it, check that.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

HookShot posted:

Oh so there's no real issue with plumbing and stuff? That's cool, I always figured it would be really hard to do.

There could be, you need a good size drain or sink.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

HookShot posted:

You would need the appropriate electrical socket, unless stacking units have progressed so far that they can run on standard outlets.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

HookShot posted:

There actually can be issues with the plumbing i.e. backflow problems into other people's sinks and other units losing water pressure or running all hot/cold. This is even with portable units. They are also a big source of leaks - that's why most modern buildings with ensuite units have special closets with drainage built especially for them.

You might not have a landlord but you still have a condo board who can take legal action against you. Check your rules - if they specifically allow them, then you're good, but don't be surprised if there's a rule against them.

Also if you are allowed, make absolutely sure your insurance covers leaks.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

HookShot posted:

it's not hard if you don't mind opening a wall, tying into existing drain pipes and hot/cold water lines and running ducting with a lint trap etc.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Whatcha guys think about approaching a landowner regarding their parcel and offering to work out a private contract solution rather than a traditional mortgage, since banks won't finance land in BC unless you have an 85% downpayment and loving :laffo: at that ever happening?

I think it's savvy AF, since it insulates me if rates ever jump to 20% again like the 80's.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Rime posted:

Whatcha guys think about approaching a landowner regarding their parcel and offering to work out a private contract solution rather than a traditional mortgage, since banks won't finance land in BC unless you have an 85% downpayment and loving :laffo: at that ever happening?

I think it's savvy AF, since it insulates me if rates ever jump to 20% again like the 80's.

I had a private mortgage for land once, it's not abnormal. It's still registered like a bank mortgage.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
RIme jesus christ don't buy a chunk of land in the middle of loving nowhere. Given the course our society, economy and environment is taking you're basically throwing your loving money away. Living in a van is a better idea than this.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
So it's definitely not super easy, thanks guys.

It was a total hypothetical, luckily I actually do have an en-suite laundry where I am now.

Also I'm pretty sure the plumbing in our building sucks because this conversation suddenly explains the backflow problems we occasionally have into our sink :stare:

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
Buy a piece of land in pei man

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Rime posted:

You won't live to see 20%.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

EvilJoven posted:

RIme jesus christ don't buy a chunk of land in the middle of loving nowhere. Given the course our society, economy and environment is taking you're basically throwing your loving money away. Living in a van is a better idea than this.

That seems foolish, if society is actually on the course for severe destabilization / collapse, is it better to:
A. Live in a van and have a shitton of money, which will become worthless.
B. Live normally and have no money, and thus starve to death.
C. Have a self-sustaining homestead on an isolated island, filled with the last holdouts of the back-to-the-land movement in Canada, and have no money but at least some lemon trees.

Postess with the Mostest posted:

I had a private mortgage for land once, it's not abnormal. It's still registered like a bank mortgage.

Anything that stands out compared to the standard fluff?

OSI bean dip posted:

You won't live to see 20%.

:colbert:

Rime fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Mar 2, 2017

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Rime posted:

That seems foolish, if society is actually on the course for severe destabilization / collapse, is it better to:
C. Have a self-sustaining homestead on an isolated island, filled with the last holdouts of the back-to-the-land movement in Canada, and have no money but at least some lemon trees.

Anything that stands out compared to the standard fluff?

Old guy who sold me the property wanted it over 3 years so he could spread the cap gains out. It was a pain having to deal with his rinky dink two day a week lawyer to close it out. I guess the technical term is vendor take back mortgage.

quote:

Why Would the Seller Agree to Such Arrangement?

The advantages of a VTB are many to the seller, including:
1. Monthly Cash Flow. A VTB provides the seller with monthly cash flow after the property sells. Some sellers are likely to charge higher than market interest rates on their loans , enhancing their overall returns and ongoing cash flow
2. Obtaining a higher price for their property. A seller who is providing a VTB at attractive terms, can demand a higher price for their property
3. Deferring taxes. Instead of getting taxed on the full capital gains from selling his/her investment property, the seller can defer the taxes payable on some of those capital gains over a period of 5 years by arranging a VTB mortgage.
4. Avoiding pre-payment penalties on existing locked-in loans. If the property has a locked-in loan, the seller can sell without having to negotiate with the lender for a higher loan amount or permission to assign or repay the loan; saving the seller time and money
5. Selling in a slow market. Offering a VTB in a stagnant market offers an extra incentive to buyers. It also helps the seller successfully market a hard to sell property

What are the risks of a VTB?

Despite its advantages, a VTB mortgage should be entered into with caution. It is complicate and you should always consult with a real estate lawyer to review all documentation and for due diligence. From a seller’s point of view, he/she is dealing with the risk of default. From a buyer’s point of view, he may find himself having to pay off the VTB mortgage in a lump sum if the seller dies, goes bankrupt or needs to liquidate his estate.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rime posted:

When society collapses you can just move to that island for free in order to starve to death there.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
We actually allow people to have a sale take place over 3 years to facilitate their avoidance of capital gains??

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
yo did you miss the story on how it's legal in BC to launder money through your lawyer under the guise of attorney/client privilege

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

RBC posted:

"soft landing"

I'd say the upper end and distant suburb detached home market collapsing while not loving over middle class people who just barely got into a condo/townhouse as soft as we could have expected.

Of course, it's not over yet.

namaste faggots posted:

My building also requires all sorts of plumbing for drainage/flood prevention, making it virtually impossible. Electrical is also an issue.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Lexicon posted:

We actually allow people to have a sale take place over 3 years to facilitate their avoidance of capital gains??

This is a country where we allow people to buy citizenship.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/globalbc/status/837162855686352896

Lol immigration is good u guys

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I'd say the upper end and distant suburb detached home market collapsing while not loving over middle class people who just barely got into a condo/townhouse as soft as we could have expected.

you think condos in loving burnaby are still gonna go for $490k when you can get a house for that in coquitlam?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

the talent deficit posted:

you think condos in loving burnaby are still gonna go for $490k when you can get a house for that in coquitlam?

Look how are we supposed to deduce this it's not like we have any examples or neighborly experiences to draw upon give him a break

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

These are completely separate and have no interaction. Don't worry about it.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

my lease is up this month and my landlord is offering me my choice of going month to month at the same rate i paid last year with a guarantee of six months warning before she raises it or a $100/month discount over what i'm currently paying if i reup for another year

housing market is hosed yo

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

No? I don't think detached houses in Coquitlam will get as low as $490k. The real pain will be on the other side of the Fraser.

$490k condos was not what I was talking about either.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

my lease is up this month and my landlord is offering me my choice of going month to month at the same rate i paid last year with a guarantee of six months warning before she raises it or a $100/month discount over what i'm currently paying if i reup for another year

housing market is hosed yo

LOL when our lease came up last year the landlord apologized that she had to put our rent up $200 if we wanted to re-sign for another year, and that she had no choice because the market rate was a $500 increase (she wasn't lying, our rental market is insane) so she had to do something.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

blah_blah posted:

These are completely separate and have no interaction. Don't worry about it.

To be fair, unless you are a certain age you can be forgiven for not realizing that there are location interactions in property values. A friend that moved to Vancouver last year was wondering why condos downtown were similarly priced to condos in Port Coquitlam.

Hopefully things start mattering again.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Lexicon posted:

You can for up to four years after the year in which the sale was made (so over 5 years in total), provided you don't receive all of the proceeds. There are some stipulations, but yeah, there's a calculation to be made to figure out how much you can withhold on the capital gain that factors in how much is left owing to you, etc. You can't just decide to withhold it.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

ocrumsprug posted:

To be fair, unless you are a certain age you can be forgiven for not realizing that there are location interactions in property values. A friend that moved to Vancouver last year was wondering why condos downtown were similarly priced to condos in Port Coquitlam.

Hopefully things start mattering again.

Uhhh, why would PoCo condos be priced similarly to downtown ones?

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Lexicon posted:

Uhhh, why would PoCo condos be priced similarly to downtown ones?

Because of all the railroad enthusiasts that love hearing shunting late at night. You can't put a price on being that close to so much freight moving around.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

mashed_penguin posted:

Because of all the railroad enthusiasts that love hearing shunting late at night. You can't put a price on being that close to so much freight moving around.

If you are from the prairies and miss thunderstorms you can get a little taste now and then in the sound of hundreds of train cars slamming together in the middle of the night.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The crash is over, buy in now at the bottom before you're priced out forever.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/surging-sales-of-vancouver-condos-townhomes-edging-up-real-estate-prices-1.4007104

quote:

Surging sales of condos and townhomes are pushing up the price for a typical Metro Vancouver home once again, according to the latest figures from the Greater Vancouver Real Estate Board (GVREB).

According to figures released today, benchmark prices are rising fastest for apartment units, which are up 2.7 per cent to $526,300 since January.

Prices for attached properties such as townhomes also rose 0.3 per cent to $675,500, while detached homes remained about the same as January at $1,474,200.

The rising prices were driven by an increasing number of residential sales, which were up 59 per cent compared with January.

But that's still 42 per cent less than the record set in February of last year during the height of the region's real estate boom,

Dan Morrison, the president of the GVREB, says another factor pushing up prices is a lack of new listings last month. In fact, the number of new listing totaled only 3,666 in February, the lowest level since 2003.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

That cat wasn't dead, look at how high it's bouncing!