Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Have you read Grendel, D_T? It sounds like that's basically what you want Bane to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax
I asked this in the DC general thread but I guess I should have asked here. What was the best out of these 3:

Nightwing by Chuck Dixon
Robin by Chuck Dixon
Batgirl by Kelly Pluckett

I want to sit down and read a good series that I missed out on back in the day.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Mr President posted:

I asked this in the DC general thread but I guess I should have asked here. What was the best out of these 3:

Nightwing by Chuck Dixon
Robin by Chuck Dixon

Get bent

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
Honestly, Ra's is the guy I'd pin for the Doctor Doom of the DCU if I was gonna pick anybody from Batman's Rogues.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The reason I'd pick Luthor over Ra's (who isn't a bad choice) is that Luthor and Doom both cultivate a specific public image, whereas Ra's is a secretive cult leader. You can have a story where Luthor or Doom is motivated by how other people view them, but that doesn't work for Ra's.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Feb 28, 2017

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Mr President posted:

Nightwing by Chuck Dixon
Robin by Chuck Dixon

Just eenie meenie miney it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You probably wouldn't like Batgirl since they made her a minority, and Chuck Dixon stories are all interchangeable, so just pick whichever character you like best. Nightwing gets raped, so I imagine you'd appreciate that to post on /r/redpill.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

Endless Mike posted:

You probably wouldn't like Batgirl since they made her a minority, and Chuck Dixon stories are all interchangeable, so just pick whichever character you like best. Nightwing gets raped, so I imagine you'd appreciate that to post on /r/redpill.

The only minority characters I can't stand are Blue Beetle and Cyborg and that's because they are uninteresting characters and the editorial agenda behind them. I think Cass Cain is cool as hell. I loved her in Batman & Robin Eternal and the current Detective Run. Chuck Dixon's Nightwing & Robin runs from the 90s are considered by many to be the definitive runs of those characters. Also Nightwing didn't get raped until Devin Grayson took over the book and I've never even heard of /r/redpill.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Mr President posted:

The only minority characters I can't stand are Blue Beetle and Cyborg and that's because they are uninteresting characters and the editorial agenda behind them. I think Cass Cain is cool as hell. I loved her in Batman & Robin Eternal and the current Detective Run. Chuck Dixon's Nightwing & Robin runs from the 90s are considered by many to be the definitive runs of those characters. Also Nightwing didn't get raped until Devin Grayson took over the book and I've never even heard of /r/redpill.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Did this fool really just diss the blue beetle run with Jamie? For reals?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

:eng101: That occurred during the Devin Grayson run!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr President posted:

So you're also a giant hypocrite too. Good to know that you have no redeeming features at all.

The funny thing is that you tried to play the "no, I just care about accuracy and not changing things" card for so long and then are mind-numbingly stupid enough to come out and openly say "No, I don't like it because I'm a bigot and will reject changes only because of my bigotry and not because of anything else."

(Hint: There's literally no difference between Jaime and Cassandra Cain in terms of how they were fit into the universe except that you're a shithead.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 1, 2017

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Yeah Cassandra is literally a minority character put into a legacy role, I don't see any difference between her and Jamie.

In non bullshit news Batman was good today.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

This week's Batman was sick. That second to last page got me so pumped for the next issue.

This part was cool too:

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

So you're also a giant hypocrite too. Good to know that you have no redeeming features at all.

The funny thing is that you tried to play the "no, I just care about accuracy and not changing things" card for so long and then are mind-numbingly stupid enough to come out and openly say "No, I don't like it because I'm a bigot and will reject changes only because of my bigotry and not because of anything else."

(Hint: There's literally no difference between Jaime and Cassandra Cain in terms of how they were fit into the universe except that you're a shithead.)

wtf are you talking about? When Cass became Batgirl there was no Batgirl for like 20 years. They killed off Ted just to introduce Jaime in the span of 12 months. I read your critism of me like twice and it makes no loving sense. I've been saying the same thing since the beginning. I'm not a bigot for not liking a fictional character dude.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Aren't you the guy who is unironically mad at The Ray being gay now?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

DK3 #8 Bill Sienkiewicz cover

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
How has DK3 been anyway?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr President posted:

wtf are you talking about? When Cass became Batgirl there was no Batgirl for like 20 years. They killed off Ted just to introduce Jaime in the span of 12 months. I read your critism of me like twice and it makes no loving sense. I've been saying the same thing since the beginning. I'm not a bigot for not liking a fictional character dude.

Because you idiot, Ted Kord was retired from being the Blue Beetle at the time of his death. It was in fact a plot point in Birds of Prey that he had a heart condition. (Superbuddies even joked about this!) He wasn't an active ongoing Blue Beetle at the time but a retired hero who showed up for cameos at best aside from a non-canon story made as a sendoff to the JLI in the wake of them getting grimdark poo poo on. If you really had a problem with this you'd have a problem with a new Batgirl replacing Barbara instead of them just magic-fixing her back like they eventually did.

You're not actually a Ted Kord fan, you're just claiming to be as an excuse to be a bigoted piece of poo poo. You don't actually care anything about the character except in how it allows you to have a slimy covering for your anger. You never have either, with every post you make about him making it clear you have no idea about anything about the character. Not in the least, as has been pointed out to you repeatedly, that Ted Kord is the replacement for Dan Garrett and took over for Dan Garrett after he died. Somehow you're totally okay with Ted Kord doing that but when Jaime does it it's unacceptable and wrong!!

And you'll continue to do this to the point you showed up here under a different name and got to told to gently caress off and everyone still knows exactly who you are because the only thing you do is whine about diversity.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Mar 2, 2017

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

How has DK3 been anyway?

Don't bother.

The first issue was kinda promising where it looked like Carrie Kelly and Superman's daughter might be the stars of the show with Old Man Batman and Soups incapacitated, but nope. It's boring, which is a worse crime than anything DK2 did. I'll take that comic's insanity and garishness any day.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Mar 2, 2017

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Has Jaime actually been in good books? The current run is rear end.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

fadam posted:

His original run issues 1-26 are some of the best teen comics ever written.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Phenotype posted:

I don't really like the comparison at all, I feel like DC's world doesn't really have room for a Dr. Doom character when you have heavies like Superman and the JLA running around. Luthor is close, but he's an American billionaire who keeps his hands incredibly clean and doesn't usually directly challenge the heroes in a way that they could just punch him into the sun. If Bane gets too far off of the street-level stuff Batman handles, I just feel like Superman would burst through the wall and haul him back to prison. Even if they gave Bane a Latveria of his own and some measure of diplomatic protection, I feel like a big part of Doom's strength is that he's a physical match for most of the heroes in the MCU between his armor and his sorcery. The Avengers aren't strong enough to just invade Latveria and depose Doom if he steps out of line too far.

To be fair, Luthor used to throw down with the superheroes all the time. It wasn't until relatively recently that he became the guy he is in like the DCAU. Also, it would have to be a pretty weak Avengers line-up for me to believe they couldn't take on Doom. Luke Cage did it solo.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah, someone at DC had the pretty smart realization that a wacky mad scientist is a pretty dated villain for someone like Superman and turned Lex into a skinnier Kingpin, which is a much more interesting take on the character.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

fadam posted:

The original run of his comic was excellent and he's had some strong supporting roles. He got hit hard by the Rebirth/Flashpoint thing which really hosed him over in a lot of ways, not in the least by removing his legacy elements entirely.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Jaime's original run is some of the best comics DC has ever published, and anybody who doesn't like it is a horrible monster.

The first 26 issues are an excellent example of how to do an overarching story, while still doing plenty of smaller stories that take an issue, before culminating in a climax that's super satisfying and takes advantage of pretty much everything the comic had used before that point. It's an absolute shame that the 13 issues after that weren't as good, and the New 52 and Rebirth runs have been less than stellar, because Jaime and his supporting cast have crazy amounts of potential.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

ImpAtom posted:

And you'll continue to do this to the point you showed up here under a different name and got to told to gently caress off and everyone still knows exactly who you are because the only thing you do is whine about diversity.

I am clearly missing something here. Who is this joker?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
It makes me sad when a character's initial run is their best poo poo because it makes it seem like they're doomed to mediocrity, with no one able to match that initial level of hype. Peaking early is a notion that generates an air of hopelessness in me that might not be justified, because future possibilities are infinite, but is still a bummer.

Godspeed Cassandra Cain and Jaime Reyes. Maybe one day you'll shine again as you did early on

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

OnimaruXLR posted:

Godspeed Cassandra Cain ... Maybe one day you'll shine again as you did early on

Are you reading Detective Comics?

Edit: If you haven't been and want to try an issue out, #950 was all about her.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Mar 2, 2017

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Doctor Spaceman posted:

How has DK3 been anyway?
I keep reading it just out of completionism at this point since it's a mini. The main storyline is kind of plodding, but there's been some good moments. The backup stories have been much more interesting in my opinion. In short, probably skip it unless you really want to read more about that universe, or wait until it's done and you can find it on sale or something.

haitfais posted:

I am clearly missing something here. Who is this joker?
There was a poster named Alucard Nacirema who got banned for a stupid election toxx. He never posted in here except to complain when DC or Marvel decided to make a C-list character (or their legacy version) a woman or minority or gay or whatever, while claiming it was the evil SJWs ruining it for everyone!

Mr President registered shortly after election day with the exact same bad opinions.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Holy poo poo. I just read Batman. Absolutely loving amazing. The comparison pages with Bruce and Bane as children were fantastic. Batman is quickly becoming my favorite DC title.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Just caught up on Detective Comics. I really hope the Batfamily sticks together and stays friends. I'm going to be so bummed irf we don't get to see Bruce and Kate take Cass to the ballet :(

fadam fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Mar 3, 2017

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

fadam posted:

Just caught up on Detective Comics. I really hope the Batfamily sticks together and stays friends. I'm going to be so bummed if we don't get to see Bruce and Kate take Cass to the opera :(

You mean the Knights game, right?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

purple death ray posted:

You mean the Knights game, right?

That'd be rad too. I just hope the team stops losing members, I think the concept is so cool.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

fadam posted:

That'd be rad too. I just hope the team stops losing members, I think the concept is so cool.

So far they've at least rotated in a member for every one they've lost, even if Batwing and Azrael are poor replacements for Tim Motherfucking Drake and Stephanie Goddamn Brown. I have faith in Tynion though. Luke's already more interesting in Detective than he's ever been in anything else, and Tim is probably going to come back once this Watchmen thing happens.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I still don't understand why Azrael 2 and Red Hood, violent amputating murderers, get to be on team Batman but the original Azrael was supposed to be a monster who must be stopped because he kinda cut people sometimes.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

I still don't understand why Azrael 2 and Red Hood, violent amputating murderers, get to be on team Batman but the original Azrael was supposed to be a monster who must be stopped because he kinda cut people sometimes.

JP did kill that one guy, but yeah, Jason is a million times worse.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

He didn't kill him, he just didn't save him. Which as Christopher Nolan taught us, is totally different.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

He didn't kill him, he just didn't save him.

True, I forgot the specifics. Didn't a hostage die too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

So we're a ways into Rebirth now and I think an updated OP is in order.

Should I replace the current OP or make a new post here around page 19-20 and just link to it in the OP?

Has it been long enough to spoil the first few arcs of the Rebirth books? Kinda hard to mention the status quo of Detective right now without giving a few things away.

• Locked thread