Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Quest For Glory II posted:

nintendo is kind of coming into a generation where non-exclusive AAA games are kind of getting less interesting. FINANCIALLY they will hurt from not having mass effect but like. do i give a gently caress about ghost recon wildlands or for honor? no. dgaf about metal gear survive

at this point its all about sony having horizon, persona 5, nioh

nintendo having zelda, mario, splatoon

microsoft having

uh

lol

Forza at least. Since Gran Turismo is never going to come out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i wont give them the credit for this but it's absolutely smart to go hard after indie developers and try to get exclusive content or timed exclusives or w/e because i feel its inevitable the profit margin on indie games/publishers will surpass AAA with the way AAA costs keep rising while the price of games at retail remains unchanging

i mean yeah the AAA can flood their games full of microtransactions and multiple season passes but there's a ceiling on that. and the more you lean towards the whales the more the non-whales will be alienated

i mean Stardew Valley just outsold many AAA games on PC in 2016 and that game is about farming and repeatedly giving copper bars to people to make them like you as opposed to huge setpieces, hollywood stars, and megatextures

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 2, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Kai Tave posted:

I don't really care that much about video game journalism or awards or even No Man's Sky but I would really like to know the rationale behind giving it an Innovation Award. Innovative in what way exactly? Peter Molyneux was doing that poo poo decades ago.

Innovative social media strategies and community engagement

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

nintendo is kind of coming into a generation where non-exclusive AAA games are kind of getting less interesting. FINANCIALLY they will hurt from not having mass effect but like. do i give a gently caress about ghost recon wildlands or for honor? no. dgaf about metal gear survive

at this point its all about sony having horizon, persona 5, nioh

nintendo having zelda, mario, splatoon

microsoft having

uh

lol

worked out well for the wii u

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

IMO they didn't really go hard after indies with Wii U. they didn't get all the engine support, just Unity and UE3. couldn't get UE4 or CryEngine or any other middleware. kind of narrows the options down

they let on poo poo like Meme Run but didn't get Gone Home, they didn't get KSP, they didn't get The Witness, they didn't get Towerfall Ascension AND THAT WAS ON OUYA. they didn't get hyper light drifter. they didn't get Firewatch. a lot more they didn't get

they also slacked on trying to get console-exclusive indie games, while Sony got exclusives (Obduction, Abzu, Broforce) and Microsoft had Inside

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Kai Tave posted:

I don't really care that much about video game journalism or awards or even No Man's Sky but I would really like to know the rationale behind giving it an Innovation Award. Innovative in what way exactly? Peter Molyneux was doing that poo poo decades ago.

Umm, please show a game that has full on interplanetary travel across a physics based system, and the ability to travel from one planets surface to the next without a proper loading screen. The programming math alone is pretty crazy. It's one thing to poo poo on the marketing, but not even the great will wright could get this working properly.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Astroneer which looks like an early access version of NMS with working multiplayer and actual gameplay

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

In Training posted:

Astroneer which looks like an early access version of NMS with working multiplayer and actual gameplay

It's no where near NMS's scale. And for all intents and purposes, NMS is an early access game as well.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What does early access even mean anymore

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Jay Rust posted:

What does early access even mean anymore

It means the same thing as "open beta" now, which is to say that it's just a marketing gimmick.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
The Wii U was planned to get KSP, and they announced it and even showed it at a direct.

Then the Wii U port went MIA after the PS4/Bone ports got panned.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
What early access should mean: You can play the game before its release date or before its day 1 updates

What early access means: Beta test our game for us please

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Best EA game: Caves of Qud
Worst EA game: Anything unfinished and broken and abandoned.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
IGN are dumb but at least some of the criticisms they bring up seem legit. Like they say it isn't awful but for a home console it's underpowered and for a portable it has poo poo battery life and is kinda bulky. None of that seems unreasonable to say.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

CJacobs posted:

What early access should mean: You can play the game before its release date or before its day 1 updates

What early access means: Beta test our game for us please

It's not even beta testing going by normal software definitions. A game is feature complete at alpha and early access games usually start pretty bare while the developer basically implements all the milestones they intend have planned.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
And frankly, I'm not sure there's another way when it comes to small developers aiming for large games. Rimworld for example is a huge game (despite its simple graphics) made primarily by one dude who contracts out a small amount of work to other people. He's not particularly wealthy. The game is not getting made unless someone pays for it and very few publishers are even interested in what he's making. So we foot the bill. It's not optimal and I wasn't interested until it started to resembled a real game and then I jumped in.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Guy Mann posted:

I remember before the first Dishonored came out reading a preview in which the devs said that the ability to possess rats and fish came from them brainstorming the logical conclusions players would draw from having the ability to possess humans. I wonder if being able to turn into a coffee cup in Prey was bourne from that same mindset.
Post more like this and you could still turn things around.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

bloodychill posted:

And frankly, I'm not sure there's another way when it comes to small developers aiming for large games. Rimworld for example is a huge game (despite its simple graphics) made primarily by one dude who contracts out a small amount of work to other people. He's not particularly wealthy. The game is not getting made unless someone pays for it and very few publishers are even interested in what he's making. So we foot the bill. It's not optimal and I wasn't interested until it started to resembled a real game and then I jumped in.

Early access is kind of like pre-orders in that they are a necessary evil to the developers making money off of their game, especially indie devs. Early access sucks, the game should be available when it's finished because then people will judge it fairly and on even ground as a finished product, and you won't have to structure your development in terms of everything you do during the process being visible by your audience. But money is king.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

bloodychill posted:

Honestly the early access label works perfectly for tiny indie games, and specifically for roguelikes, which are like the definition of tiny indie games. They're usually made by one dedicated crazy person and never come out feature complete, as there's always something new they can add.

Anyways, there was an interesting discussion from one roguelikes dev and others about if he should release his game in EA or wait until it's 1.0 that starts here:

https://twitter.com/GridSageGames/status/836792244845719553

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
have you ever tried to use a widescreen hack for a game

Problem Sleuth
Apr 12, 2011

WELCOME TO THE NEW FUTURE
i know a lot of people hate early access but a lot of ea games seem to sell really well. I wonder if that's because the early access system is actually liked by a large group of people or if it's because the games that are ea are just what people want to play

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The Colonel posted:

have you ever tried to use a widescreen hack for a game

This reminds me that in the options menu for Deadfall Adventures (aka alcoholic Indiana Jones rear end in a top hat: the FPS) the devs let you adjust FOV all the way to 360.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

glam rock hamhock posted:

IGN are dumb but at least some of the criticisms they bring up seem legit. Like they say it isn't awful but for a home console it's underpowered and for a portable it has poo poo battery life and is kinda bulky. None of that seems unreasonable to say.

I feel like the underpowered complaint only comes into play if we think of the way triple AAA games need all that processing power. The WiiU wasn't matched at all with the PS4 and Xbone (and pretty much a bit weaker than the 360 and the PS3) but it was about utilising that hardware appropriately. Even though there was a real dearth of third party games, Nintendo still released a huge library of real quality exclusive games that worked for its console. Tropical Freeze looked beautiful, Maro Kart 8 was rich as all heck and Mario 3D World is wonderful.

In a world where the PC/PS4/Xbone are interchangable and homogenous, I like the idea of a different console doing it's own thing and working to its own strengths. I'd hope that more publishers try to make cheaper games on the Switch and push the hardware, rather than the overblown, overbudgeted madness that seems to be the norm.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Problem Sleuth posted:

i know a lot of people hate early access but a lot of ea games seem to sell really well. I wonder if that's because the early access system is actually liked by a large group of people or if it's because the games that are ea are just what people want to play
A lot of them are survival games which for whatever reason makes people super thirsty

VideoGames posted:

I feel like the underpowered complaint only comes into play if we think of the way triple AAA games need all that processing power. The WiiU wasn't matched at all with the PS4 and Xbone (and pretty much a bit weaker than the 360 and the PS3) but it was about utilising that hardware appropriately. Even though there was a real dearth of third party games, Nintendo still released a huge library of real quality exclusive games that worked for its console. Tropical Freeze looked beautiful, Maro Kart 8 was rich as all heck and Mario 3D World is wonderful.

In a world where the PC/PS4/Xbone are interchangable and homogenous, I like the idea of a different console doing it's own thing and working to its own strengths. I'd hope that more publishers try to make cheaper games on the Switch and push the hardware, rather than the overblown, overbudgeted madness that seems to be the norm.
I think more importantly it's powerful enough to get Japanese devs to move over from Vita and possibly even PS4 (which I think still is not INCREDIBLE sales-wise in Japan)

But it's probably not powerful enough to hold on to, say, the next Assassins Creed, or Call of Duty, or Battlefield, and those are all big money-making games (although Ubisoft at least gave it a shot with AC on Wii U)

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

It's powerful enough to run New Donk City! Good enough for me, I'll grab one sometime when it's got a cool deal, gonna rock Zelda on the Wii-U. By the way I love Quest for Glory, classic series there.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
While I love the big super-pretty games like Uncharted 4 or Horizon or Doom or Total Warhammer, I do think like developers constantly going for super HD graphics can make for an overly expensive dev process. It's the dragon that Square Enix East chased into some pretty dark times, and it's what got Ubisoft on the yearly generic iterative update thing once they got their AAA dev pipeline built. There's also definitely space for lower fidelity games. Maybe they don't make CoD money but as long as they're fun, no big deal.

That said, I still don't know about the Switch. I like the concept of Nintendo moving to a unified platform that I can buy and enjoy all their games but it looks like it's coming down to possibly flawed implementation. Part of me kinda wishes they stopped chasing the home console thing and just focused on handheld hardware while putting their console software on other platforms. They'll never do it but I guess I can wish.

And of course, whatever platform gets Pikmin 4 I'll buy anyway. Speaking of which, Video Games, you should throw Pikmin 3 into your March RTS list.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

A lot of them are survival games which for whatever reason makes people super thirsty

Survival game devs think that that if you don't drink a liter of clean water every hour you will die from dehydration.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I wouldnt question switchs power, except it cant run zelda in tv mode smoothly even with no anti aliasing.

Zelda wasnt designed as a switch game of course but theyve had a long time to figure something out here idk.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

bushisms.txt posted:

Umm, please show a game that has full on interplanetary travel across a physics based system, and the ability to travel from one planets surface to the next without a proper loading screen. The programming math alone is pretty crazy. It's one thing to poo poo on the marketing, but not even the great will wright could get this working properly.

Noctis

Also Parkan I guess

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Finally gave up, cancelled my physical Zelda preorder and switched it to digital. What is this hosed up world where a digital download code costs more than a physical disc and case?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Digital always costs more than physical here, unless it's on sale.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Finally gave up, cancelled my physical Zelda preorder and switched it to digital. What is this hosed up world where a digital download code costs more than a physical disc and case?

That changed recently bc now physical retailers are trying to push back. Youre paying extra for the convenience of no disc I suppose

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It's just like how online classes cost more than the university actually having to schedule and provide building space and desks and chairs and sometimes computers.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
i alway s buy physical copies because i like to arrange then in alphabetical order on my shelf and look at them from time to time

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Sakurazuka posted:

Digital always costs more than physical here, unless it's on sale.

Generally true in the US too though Steam is an obvious exception and PSN has started doing regular sales that are at least decent. Nintendo even does decent sales from time to time, rare as it is.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Which still baffles me. Can you imagine how many more people would buy digital games if they were priced €10-20 cheaper.
But it hurts when i see, for example Nier Automata on the US store for $59,99 and in the EU store Nier Automata is €69.99. Same version.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well the price of physical is slowly getting pushed up too, getting a new game for less than £45 is going to be rare soon. I blame Brexit and old people.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah the best price I could find Zelda at was £48

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Didn't the industry try to get games priced at €70. The backlash was so great that they immediately gave up on it?

Edit: Well, most games go to €40-45 in 3-6 months. If you are patient enough.

Sefal fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Mar 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I got the WU version for £40 from Amazon but it's unavailable now. You're screwed if you want the Switch one for less than that though yeah. Some places have been putting Switch games up for like £55.

• Locked thread