Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

CharlestonJew posted:

Where's my southern salarian that sounds like Boomhauer bioware

where the gently caress is it

poo poo this is something I've always needed but didn't know until just now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Transmetropolitan posted:

dayum

Hopefully no weight system because come on going all the way in removing class restrictions to just slap a much sillier one with equipment

There are no bonuses for being underweight, just penalties for being over. Now that sounds negative, but it means you are not basically penalized for using more than one gun or using particularly heavy guns if you are a heavy power-focused build; you can always take at least some number of toys with you when you want to play. Just don't get too greedy unless you don't care about cooldowns.

edit: double checking that article, it doesn't seem to contradict me, and I've seen screenshots of the weight meter before. It's probably somewhere upthread.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
And like the article says, you can boost your weight cap with an ability in the combat tree and there is no level cap.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Generic American posted:

I assume that means that character is currently the active one they have selected, and the screen is just changing to show each character as they browse?

No, green checkmark guy is a level 6, display character is a level 7. Different faces/helmets, too.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
So this game will easily let the player grind themselves into unstoppable monster that breaks the hardest difficulty? Will there be a Hinterlands 2.0?

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Mar 2, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Kurieg posted:

And like the article says, you can boost your weight cap with an ability in the combat tree and there is no level cap.

So are there random encounters or are we in a 'theoretically there's no level cap, but there's only actually so much EXP in the game'.

I still remember ME1 taking like 2 and 1/2 playthroughs to hit 60 because there just wasn't enough EXP in the game.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Sara Ryder had a wasp waist in that Peebee loyalty mission footage. All the poo poo hanging off her hips might have had something to do with that, though.

Bout to get real weird when I'm dude Ryder wondering what lines I gotta spit to get my sister in bed

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Crabtree posted:

So this game will easily let the player grind themselves into unstoppable monster that breaks the hardest difficulty?

I have seen no comments on level scaling, but we can think a bit about your character limitations: Ryder in the IGN video had something like 500 HP at level 28 or something, and 800 in the official powers/profiles video where she's level 56. Health and Shields are more than likely governed by armor and skill rank (such as the Barrier skill to improve shields), and no skill goes higher than 6. Guns, even ones you craft, seem to be tiered, with roman numeral designations telling you what tier they are, and they will probably cap out at X like I think they did in ME3 and the multiplayer. You can only carry three abilities and one profile on an active favorite, and swapping favorites triggers a cooldown so you can't just learn everything and spam it all mindlessly, at least not in theory.

So you can level forever, but doing so only allows you to make more profiles and have more sets that you can switch to, and those have built in caps. Once you get enough levels to fill out your favorite three abilities, you start spending them on maxing out your favorite profile, and that is basically a "max" character, except you can keep leveling until you max out a few more profiles/skills, and then swap to those when you want to switch, but the difficulty and your ability to break it depends on how things respond to your highest skill, which only goes up to 6.

edit: Essentially, you can level Ryder the Vanguard to level 10 or whatever, cap him out, and then level Ryder the Engineer to 10, but you don't have to switch from Vanguard to level up Engineer. Vanguard just won't get any more stupidly powerful.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Mar 2, 2017

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Number Ten Cocks posted:

No, green checkmark guy is a level 6, display character is a level 7. Different faces/helmets, too.

What I meant was that it seems like the checkmark level 6 guy could be the one that is currently selected for play, but the display character is changing as they scroll through other options (which is also why that top row level 7 with a similar helmet is highlighted.)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I can have a combo of shotguns turrets biotic charge and hammers.

I am good to go let's do this poo poo.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

marshmallow creep posted:

They are basically going to be the same as the preorder special edition weapons/armor from Inquisition. Ian Frazier explained on twitter that they start out slightly better than poo poo you can get at the start of the game, but stuff you can buy and craft will replace it statistically sooner or later, and upgraded schematics are level gated. Expect there to be a box next to your crafting station that occasionally lets you know you have mail as you reach higher levels. I am not going to go digging through all his tweets to double check, but I believe he said they will not be literal palette swaps of guns in game; they will have some characteristics that make them different from other guns you can make in the game, at least in the technical sense.

I forgot about that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwDQDVGsrH4

Has the chest handle gone out of Salarian style?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

The Salarian Ark saved on uniform costs by hiring a failed clothing designer from Sur'Kesh School of Sass-ion, but they had to live without chest-bars.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

The Salarian Ark saved on uniform costs by hiring a failed clothing designer from Sur'Kesh School of Sass-ion, but they had to live without chest-bars.

The chest bars added weight, they needed to cut something back to make the trip to Andromeda.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

There are no bonuses for being underweight, just penalties for being over. Now that sounds negative, but it means you are not basically penalized for using more than one gun or using particularly heavy guns if you are a heavy power-focused build; you can always take at least some number of toys with you when you want to play. Just don't get too greedy unless you don't care about cooldowns.

edit: double checking that article, it doesn't seem to contradict me, and I've seen screenshots of the weight meter before. It's probably somewhere upthread.
Yea, you can get a decent look at how it works in the first combat video: It looks a lot more forgiving than ME3's was.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrWgLMH8yRU&t=62s

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I just want to tactical cloak then vanguard charge into someone.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Zore posted:

So are there random encounters or are we in a 'theoretically there's no level cap, but there's only actually so much EXP in the game'.

I still remember ME1 taking like 2 and 1/2 playthroughs to hit 60 because there just wasn't enough EXP in the game.

The article says you probably won't be maxing out until your second or third playthrough. But it's also more like Creep said, there's a limit to the powers you can have active at once, and they all max out at 6, it's just that eventually you can have everything unlocked and try out whatever you want.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Codependent Poster posted:

I just want to tactical cloak then vanguard charge into someone.

My dude

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Since there's supposed to be a free respec in the game letting you just have but not use every power is just a convenience issue.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I get the impression they want to let you do anything and everything in one playthrough.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Another MP screenshot.

Am i seriously the only one who sees reused assets here?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Arglebargle III posted:

You might be the only one who gives a poo poo

So you know, good job, here's a medal

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Arglebargle III posted:

... yeah?

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Arglebargle III posted:

Standardized prefab colony buildings are the same all over.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

They look like pre-fab units from the time of ME2, when the Arcs launch. So its not too surprising for me to see them in new colonies in Andromeda

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!
On Bizarro Earth, Bioware redesigned prefabs for Andromeda and goons are howling about the unexplained visual discontinuity.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

The issue with reused assets isn't that they use them, it's whether they use them well and it makes sense to use them. So if you see 19 of the same cave it's an issue, but seeing a couple of prefab buildings designed to be uniform around isn't a big deal.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

The issue with reused assets isn't that they use them, it's whether they use them well and it makes sense to use them. So if you see 19 of the same cave it's an issue, but seeing a couple of prefab buildings designed to be uniform around isn't a big deal.

It's also less of a concern in multiplayer because the same levels get played over and over again anyway.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyone replaying the first 3 in preparation?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Turtlicious posted:

Is there any kind of save importing to the new game from the old?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Turtlicious posted:

I watched a LP of 2 one weekend and somehow tricked myself into replaying 3 the next weekend.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Arglebargle III posted:

It looks like higher res and slightly different stuff from the ME2 colony missions.

Which... makes sense if that's an outpost from a lost milky way expedition, I guess.

Then again "generic prefab" is going to look pretty familiar regardless of what you do with it.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Arglebargle III posted:

It's just an arena to murder stuff in over and over on repeat forever to get credits to buy card packs and unlock stuff, who gives a poo poo?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Error 404 posted:

Is there any kind of save importing to the new game from the old?

None whatsoever

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
I will only have a murderthon in a town with artisanal and free range prefabs.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I liked Mass Effect a lot, especially 3, so hopefully Andromeda is equally bleak and cool.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

DancingShade posted:

It looks like higher res and slightly different stuff from the ME2 colony missions.

Which... makes sense if that's an outpost from a lost milky way expedition, I guess.

Then again "generic prefab" is going to look pretty familiar regardless of what you do with it.

oh my god

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I am looking forward to mass effect but I'm in Vietnam or back in Thailand while it releases so gonna have to watch reviews because gently caress pre ordering things.

Do u think there are quarian ladyboys???.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
One of my gripes about Mass Effect 2 and 3 was that Bioware abandoned their weapon cooldown system of the first game.

I remember that before 2 came out, the devs talked about a hybrid ammo system of slow-cooldown thermal clips, where each clip you had would cool at a reasonable rate until you completely blew one out, in which case it would take a much longer time to cool, but you had multiple clips to circulate through. The idea was that if you played conservatively and reloaded responsibly you'd basically never run out of ammo because you'd always have a full clip that was fully cooled down and ready to reload... or you could go hog wild with ammo and unload a full clip on something, but then pay for it by that clip going on cooldown for a while and being pulled out of rotation until the cooldown completed. As you progressed through the game, you'd be able to increase the number of clips you could carry at once.

This idea would have been amazing, but instead they went with a totally stock ammo system. Lame. Glad to see they're at least giving players the option of rolling with thermal weapons this time around.

Between that and removing global cool downs, I'm kinda optimistic about how this game's combat might end up turning out.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Mar 2, 2017

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Just gimme warp, singularity, and a thermal cooldown avenger and Im gonna be happy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Am I the only one that sees this?

Good luck not seeing it now, motherfuckers.

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Standardized prefab colony buildings are the same all over.

Genuinely funny.

McGiggins fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Mar 2, 2017