Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Agean90 posted:

Yeah, their former publishers pushing for naval u it's kinda wrecked Wargame for me.

Is it going to be basically ww2 Wargame? Cause that would own

From this interview it looks like a WW2 Wargame is exactly what it is.

http://www.pcgamer.com/steel-division-normandy-44-is-a-realistic-ww2-rts-coming-this-year/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

V for Vegas posted:

From this interview it looks like a WW2 Wargame is exactly what it is.

http://www.pcgamer.com/steel-division-normandy-44-is-a-realistic-ww2-rts-coming-this-year/

Good, because that's exactly what I want.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

ZearothK posted:

Good, because that's exactly what I want.

The phase system look rad as gently caress holy poo poo

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Seems odd to limit the area to Normandy and then not do the landings.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Seems odd to limit the area to Normandy and then not do the landings.

It's not that fun from a gameplay perspective. And you'd be limiting what you could actually use from the unit roster quite a bit.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I can see why you wouldn't do the landings, but then I'd probably choose a different location. Do something a bit less safe.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I was vaguely interested to begin with but then they said that a Scottish highlanders regiment is one of the factions and now I'm in as hell, day one.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

So is this going to be kind of like Company of Heroes, Close Combat, Combat Mission, or something else? I love the early Close Combat games. Either way I guess I'm pretty hyped.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
If you've played Wargame (also by Eugen) it's probably gonna be a lot like that. Think big scale, borderline realistic- the distances and ranges are measured by kilometers rather than the tens of meters in most RTS for instance. Sightlines and recon will probably be very important, probably along with resupplying. Infantry will probably be kinda simplistic, although hopefully they'll improve that aspect a lot for a WW2 game.

I was excited at the prospect of another map game but I'm pretty happy with this announcement to be honest, a Eugen game with Paradox's business model could be amazing.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I can see why you wouldn't do the landings, but then I'd probably choose a different location. Do something a bit less safe.

Normandy is a good setting if you want to play as american,Brits,the french, poles, and Canadians. Your only other option for a theatre with real tank warfare on that scale is the eastern front and that's just ussr vs Germany and a bunch of axis minors.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I'm hopeful that, much like Europa Universalis or Crusader Kings, the title won't actually mean much after the first couple of expansions and we'll get eventually content for every front.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
This screenshot tells you all you need to know on how much like Wargame it's going to be a lot

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Huh, I wonder how towed weapons and stuff like that AT gun are gonna work. The plane interface looks almost exactly the same though lol.

Which is fine I suppose, it was good. Wargame is a really great and unique RTS so it being a lot like that is actually a really good thing.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

That does look really sweet! I do get kind of an updated Close Combat vibe from it.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Mar 2, 2017

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Stairmaster posted:

Normandy is a good setting if you want to play as american,Brits,the french, poles, and Canadians. Your only other option for a theatre with real tank warfare on that scale is the eastern front and that's just ussr vs Germany and a bunch of axis minors.

Weren't tanks a big part of the war in Africa as well? That was Rommel's theatre after all.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

DurosKlav posted:

That does look really sweet! I do get kind of an updated Close Combat vibe from it.

Other than the Matrix vapourware update to Close Combat, the Tactical Art of Combat is looking like the modern remake of CC.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
For added realism you can call in the Luftwaffe but they don't turn up in theatre.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

algebra testes posted:

For added realism you can call in the Luftwaffe but they don't turn up in theatre.

You can also call in the USAAF. Take cover beforehand, just to be safe.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I guess I'm the only one who's not that excited for this. A purely military focus just doesn't do it for me.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

I guess I'm the only one who's not that excited for this. A purely military focus just doesn't do it for me.

I thought it was gonna be Rome 2 or Vicky 3 :(

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Arrhythmia posted:

I thought it was gonna be Rome 2 or Vicky 3 :(

The level of betrayal I felt...

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
This level of betrayal?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Phlegmish posted:

I'm actually surprised that there's apparently significant crossover between the fanbases for military RTS and Paradox grand strategy. Though thinking about it a lot of people like the awful battles in TW games so I guess I shouldn't be.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

With the forum called "it' s a secret" I hoped we had a real shot at v3.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I bought stock in this company

Then I sold it

Made a cool hard 80 bucks :cool:

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I would like to see more Eugen games, Wargame is the last really enjoyable RTS I have played even if I was nowhere near as good at it as I was at RUSE.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Super not what I was expecting/hoping for (Vicky III, followed by Rome II), but this new game sounds pretty rad too so I'm not disappointed!

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

RabidWeasel posted:

I'm actually surprised that there's apparently significant crossover between the fanbases for military RTS and Paradox grand strategy. Though thinking about it a lot of people like the awful battles in TW games so I guess I shouldn't be.

Paradox publish all sorts of poo poo including role playing games and a ship simulator. Nothing really surprising about them publishing RTS'

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
I actually installed the first wargame game because of this news and boy do I suck at combined arms operations

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Groogy posted:

This level of betrayal?

This, except unironically.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Well at least I'll be able to finish my megacampaign without waiting a year.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

RabidWeasel posted:

Adding real time battles to grand strategy games is suggested all the time, despite how utterly awful it would be. This game is probably just gonna increase the demand, since Paradox will now be able to "just add it for free" to HoI4.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Adding real time battles to grand strategy games is suggested all the time, despite how utterly awful it would be. This game is probably just gonna increase the demand, since Paradox will now be able to "just add it for free" to HoI4.

What, are you saying that a mix of Crusader Kings 2 with Total War Real Time Battles with the ability of taking over the commander to play Mount & Blade: Warband would actually be a terrible game to play because it would take a thousand years to get through a campaign and each component would have to be watered down for the project to be viably made before all the technology involved is made obsolete????!

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

cool new Metroid game posted:

Paradox publish all sorts of poo poo including role playing games and a ship simulator. Nothing really surprising about them publishing RTS'

I'm not surprised that they're publishing it, more that people posting in this thread are generally receptive to the idea.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

RabidWeasel posted:

I'm not surprised that they're publishing it, more that people posting in this thread are generally receptive to the idea.

Eugen games are generally well-received. For all we might complain about unbalanced mechanics or unit bloat in the Wargame series, their heart is in the right place and they are one of the few developers making modern RTS games and getting it right most of the time.

Let's not speak of Act of Aggression, which was not a bad game, just a decade late for its time.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RabidWeasel posted:

If you don't like the project you can continue to talk about the projects and games that you do like.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I like Victoria 3

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Decrepus posted:

This, except unironically.

This, also unironically.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

ZearothK posted:

Eugen games are generally well-received. For all we might complain about unbalanced mechanics or unit bloat in the Wargame series, their heart is in the right place and they are one of the few developers making modern RTS games and getting it right most of the time.

Let's not speak of Act of Aggression, which was not a bad game, just a decade late for its time.

Hey I liked Act of Agression - they did a pretty good job putting that together and it didn't feel any more dated than C&C or other RTS games that came out around the same time. Didn't hold a candle to games like World in Conflict though. Too bad Paradox couldn't steal Massive out from under Ubisoft; such a waste of talent there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Mans posted:

If you don't like the project you can continue to talk about the projects and games that you do like.

I don't like or dislike it because I haven't played it, it just seems kind of weird to me because I mentally categorise grand strategy and RTS as being entirely different and I don't expect people who enjoy one to enjoy the other. I would be equally surprised if it was a WW2-themed FPS or RPG (p.s. a WW2 RPG actually sounds kind of baller)

I guess Paradox publish all kinds of games now v:)v