Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yes. You get JUST ENOUGH in the game to unpetrify everyone. The one in Things Betwixt is actually one of the more pointless ones 😳

Also yeah you should respec for a big sword. Big swords in DS2 are very cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I really love how hard every souls game was at launch. If you beat it/got the platinum in the first month, you were a boss.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yes. You get JUST ENOUGH in the game to unpetrify everyone. The one in Things Betwixt is actually one of the more pointless ones 😳

Also yeah you should respec for a big sword. Big swords in DS2 are very cool.

Isn't there an estus flask shard behind there?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It has an estus shard and a Pursuer encounter which gets you a twinkling. :v: But yeah, not as important as Straid, Ornafex, or one of the ones that blocks your path.

The fact that there's still tutorial stones behind that part of Things Betwixt seems like one of the weirdest things in scholar.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Oh is there? I'm doing NG+ at the moment so I end up selling those.

Oxyclean posted:

The fact that there's still tutorial stones behind that part of Things Betwixt seems like one of the weirdest things in scholar.

Yeah it was a really bad design decision IMO

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

So I just got Dark souls 3. It's the first souls game I've ever played and I've watched so many youtube videos and stuff about it so I thought I'd try.

I don't understand why but it's hella fun even though it's so confusing. I'm still learning to parry and roll at the right times but I keep dying. I'm still on the tower on the wall at the start, I can't stop wanting to play it though, why is it so loving addicting even if I'm so bad at it?

I'm pretty sure I will never get to the end of this game but whatever. Also is it cool that whenever I have enough souls to level up I return to the shrine to level and redo that part? I'm playing as a knight and I'm just putting points in strength and vigor.

also how do I know when to use my shield and when to 2h? I think it might be better for me to keep my shield at all times.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

mynameisbatman posted:

So I just got Dark souls 3. It's the first souls game I've ever played and I've watched so many youtube videos and stuff about it so I thought I'd try.

I don't understand why but it's hella fun even though it's so confusing. I'm still learning to parry and roll at the right times but I keep dying. I'm still on the tower on the wall at the start, I can't stop wanting to play it though, why is it so loving addicting even if I'm so bad at it?

I'm pretty sure I will never get to the end of this game but whatever. Also is it cool that whenever I have enough souls to level up I return to the shrine to level and redo that part? I'm playing as a knight and I'm just putting points in strength and vigor.

also how do I know when to use my shield and when to 2h? I think it might be better for me to keep my shield at all times.

There's a point where everything will just click. It happens for everyone who perseveres.

Also, welcome to dying! :unsmigghh:

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

AlternateNu posted:

There's a point where everything will just click. It happens for everyone who perseveres.

I'm trying to fight that wandering armored knight thing below the tower. I've gotten parrying and blocking those skinny missile dudes down. But that knight keeps kicking my rear end. Somehow even if I roll he gets me with his 2nd strike. This is going to be a long day.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

mynameisbatman posted:

What platform are you on? Goons will totally come help you out if they can. Also play however you prefer, there's no wrong way to Souls!

mynameisbatman posted:

2h when you need more damage, pretty much. When you get used to rolling/dodging you'll likely use the shield less and less.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

mynameisbatman posted:

I'm trying to fight that wandering armored knight thing below the tower. I've gotten parrying and blocking those skinny missile dudes down. But that knight keeps kicking my rear end. Somehow even if I roll he gets me with his 2nd strike. This is going to be a long day.

What direction are you rolling? Usually (though not always) it's safer to roll sideways round the enemy, rather away from them.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Gerblyn posted:

What direction are you rolling? Usually (though not always) it's safer to roll sideways round the enemy, rather away from them.

Embrace the :darksouls:, roll into every attack.

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

Gerblyn posted:

I think it might be a lothric knight I'm fighting. I'm trying to go sideways and I have him locked on but I just can't find the right time to hit him. If I dodge an attack and hit him he splits me open. I think after more practice I'll get the timing down.

Props to the developers of this game though, they even made dying and trying again feel really good, it's like every time I learn something new. you feel like by dying you've gained something instead of lost it. Although gently caress that katana dude to the left of firelink shrine, I'll be back for him later.

mynameisbatman fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 2, 2017

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

mynameisbatman posted:

I think it might be a lothric knight I'm fighting. I'm trying to go sideways and I have him locked on but I just can't find the right time to hit him. If I dodge an attack and hit him he splits me open. I think after more practice I'll get the timing down.

I know exactly who you're fighting. He's in a room directly under a bonfire, and you have to kill a thief there before you attack him. I used to die fighting him all the time too! It really is a matter of learning his openings, I'm afraid. Good luck!

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Inspector_666 posted:

Embrace the :darksouls:, roll into every attack.

To be true :darksouls: you also need to be naked and wielding the biggest club you can find, or preferably 2 of them at once. (I miss power stancing :()

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

If it's your first DS game, sword and board that poo poo. Don't try to be a jack of all trades by putting valuable levels into Faith or INT. If you wanna level for a basic heal spell that's cool but if it's your first time around, level up Health, Strength and Endurance .

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

mynameisbatman posted:

unless you just really enjoy parrying a lot there's not really a ton of benefit to learning to parry every single attack type (some are actually unparryable fyi). if you have the stamina just block a couple hits and give em a poke or roll through and slap then roll back through.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

mynameisbatman posted:

Props to the developers of this game though, they even made dying and trying again feel really good, it's like every time I learn something new. you feel like by dying you've gained something instead of lost it. Although gently caress that katana dude to the left of firelink shrine, I'll be back for him later.

The Katana that dude drops is one of the best weapons in your first run through since it also causes bleed build up and a poo poo ton of enemies are weak to bleed out.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

AlternateNu posted:

The Katana that dude drops is one of the best weapons in your first run through since it also causes bleed build up and a poo poo ton of enemies are weak to bleed out.

I think he's talking about the knight right under the High Wall bonfire, not the naked sword dude at Firelink.

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

AlternateNu posted:

Alright I might try to go back and find a way to kill him. If it's worth it then I guess I should!

Gerblyn posted:

I know exactly who you're fighting. He's in a room directly under a bonfire, and you have to kill a thief there before you attack him. I used to die fighting him all the time too! It really is a matter of learning his openings, I'm afraid. Good luck!

Yeah dude you got it, he's a loving rear end in a top hat, I still remember when I came up the stairs and he came out the door I jumped out of my loving chair,. The funny thing is I somehow killed him the first time I ever saw him by luck and button mashing, and then I got the bonfire. And now every subsequent time he kicks my rear end.

Inspector_666 posted:

I think he's talking about the knight right under the High Wall bonfire, not the naked sword dude at Firelink.

I was talking about the katana dude at the end of my post. He's real lovely too.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

you can kick the katana man off the edge then end game and restart. or cheese him with bombs if you want.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Man, infusions are kind of weird. I assumed heavy infusion for a cathedral knight's sword would be king, but playing around with a calculator at 40str/20dex un-infused starts to pull ahead, and at 24dex refined pulls ahead. Even at 40 str and base dex for a knight (12) heavy is only 10 points ahead of un-infused.

Cool to see I can still squeeze some damage out of my character though.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

First - PLEASE keep posting. Almost everyone in the thread wishes they could go back and play all the Souls games again for the first time. So we are :allears: for new players because we can live vicariously through you.

Second - some tips:

- Try to draw enemies one at a time. Fighting groups, even if they are basic mooks can get you killed, pronto.

- If something is too tough right now, you can always come back. Most enemies are pretty tightly leashed to a particular area, so if you just run far enough they will simply stop chasing you.

- block THEN attack - the only exception here is if the enemy is doing a multihit combo attack in which case you need to learn to:

- Manage your Stamina bar. Your stamina is SUPER important (it's the green bar underneath health). If it runs out - you are a sitting duck - you can't block, roll, counter, anything. It regenerates faster if you drop your shield, so learn to be flexible with the L1 button. Drop the shield when you can to let it build back up.

- ergo in the case of an enemy which has a multi- hit attack, it might make more sense to roll rather than block. If blocking will eat more stamina, roll instead.

- stay under 70% equipment load (visible on status screen). There is an even faster roll with more i-frames at <30% load, but it's not super worth it, because you'd have to pump End to get to the point where you can wear much and stay below 30%, and wearing SOMETHING in every slot is better than nothing at all.

Good luck and welcome to the fold. :)

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I miss mundane infusion.

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

Whoa nice reply HaB! Thanks for the tips. Also thanks to all the other people with your quick replies! I'm just watching a youtube video on how to get the astora straight sword. So I might try to rush from the tower to there a few times to see if it's worth it.

But yeah this game is crazy.

Also I'm playing on PC and it's so annoying that as a PC port they didn't change the tutorials at the start of the game to relate to actual keyboard buttons, So I literally didn't know what I was pressing. I hosed around with the keybindings myself but it's still sad that the developer was too lazy to make such small helpful changes to the port. It made the start of the game horrible for me.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

I miss those first Souls game feels....

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

mynameisbatman posted:

Whoa nice reply HaB! Thanks for the tips. Also thanks to all the other people with your quick replies! I'm just watching a youtube video on how to get the astora straight sword. So I might try to rush from the tower to there a few times to see if it's worth it.

But yeah this game is crazy.

Also I'm playing on PC and it's so annoying that as a PC port they didn't change the tutorials at the start of the game to relate to actual keyboard buttons, So I literally didn't know what I was pressing. I hosed around with the keybindings myself but it's still sad that the developer was too lazy to make such small helpful changes to the port. It made the start of the game horrible for me.

Oh boy, get a controller.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Gerblyn posted:

To be true :darksouls: you also need to be naked and wielding the biggest club you can find, or preferably 2 of them at once. (I miss power stancing :()

the next DLC is going to be rank poo poo if it doesn't have paired greatclubs as a weapon :colbert:

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
bring back the pursuer

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

mynameisbatman posted:

this is 100% a controller game. only the filthiest of subhumans would willingly play a souls game with m+k

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

This is very sage advice, this game is one of those exceptional cases in PC gaming where mouse/keyboard very seriously gimps you.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I played and beat DS2 and DS3 on the keyboard

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I don't know how much of it is experience, how much is my build and how much are the patches but I'm having a way easier time with this game now. Enemies that used to terrify me bounce off my shield. Those rear end in a top hat crucifixion guys get 3 shot without being able to get an attack of their own in. It's pretty nice.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Weeping Wound posted:

the next DLC is going to be rank poo poo if it doesn't have paired greatclubs as a weapon :colbert:

Would you prefer Sellsword Twingreatclubs, Drang Twingreatclubs, or Gotthard Twingreatclubs?

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Inspector_666 posted:

Would you prefer Sellsword Twingreatclubs, Drang Twingreatclubs, or Gotthard Twingreatclubs?

Smelter TwinChickenLegs tyvm. :colbert:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Inspector_666 posted:

For sure.

Also:

spit on my clit posted:

bring back the pursuer

He's so cool :allears:

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

AlternateNu posted:

The seven stages of Dark Souls bosses
1) Haha what the gently caress this boss is bullshit
2) WOW that's super unfair
3) At least I hurt him this time
4) Almost got the bastard
5) Hah, hot him!
6) Okay this guy is pretty simple now, I can beat him reliably.
7) How did I ever have trouble with this chump?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I love watching new people play these games. My friend bought BB a few months ago and had never played a Souls game before. He managed to beat Cleric Beast first time around, a boss that took me like fifteen tries.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Rough Lobster posted:

The seven stages of Dark Souls bosses
1) Haha what the gently caress this boss is bullshit
2) WOW that's super unfair
3) At least I hurt him this time
4) Almost got the bastard
5) Hah, hot him!
6) Okay this guy is pretty simple now, I can beat him reliably.
7) How did I ever have trouble with this chump?

Pretty accurate lol

Also; sometimes it will be a lot easier to not lock-on to enemies and just poking a big weapon in their general direction.
Locking on might flip your camera all over the place and personally i'd rather it doesn't. vOv

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Control Volume posted:

I played and beat DS2 and DS3 on the keyboard

This guy are sick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Yeah, sick in the head.