Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Kainser posted:

Spamming the air humping taunt with Raider is extremely honorable in my opinion.

https://youtu.be/51uWX3BdnMI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Got owned super hard by a Prestige 2 Orochi to my Prestige 3 Orochi. He baited me to the edge, so I was on the lookout for guard breaks. He then stuns me with a scream, grabs me, throws me towards edge. I survive. He then daggers me, which staggers, then grabs and throws again. I wasn't even mad, it was pretty good use of the feats. I've never seen people use it like that before.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
:siren: PSA: If you have Amazon Prime, you can apparently get free "Twitch Prime", which then gives you freebies in For Honor. There are two exclusive emblems plus 10 days of For Honor premium free. :siren:

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
I am a bit annoyed by pubbies. Some of the orders yesterday had me venturing into 4v4 and I guess Raider is the new hotness. I'd just be fighting and some retard teammate would come crashing in and whack me while trying to get the take down. Twice in the same game a different Raider teammate killed me and didn't even revive.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Dirk Pitt posted:

I am a bit annoyed by pubbies. Some of the orders yesterday had me venturing into 4v4 and I guess Raider is the new hotness. I'd just be fighting and some retard teammate would come crashing in and whack me while trying to get the take down. Twice in the same game a different Raider teammate killed me and didn't even revive.

He's a Raider, legendary. It is to be expected from one so mighty.

Teammates like that are the worst. When you successfully grab an enemy and go to combo them, but your teammate decides a big sweeping side attack (loving Kensei motherfuckers) is the better option. So he smacks me out of combo, which basically means the enemy got out of a grab for free and didn't even get damaged.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Raider is bad in 1v1 but good in 4v4

His blinding attack + his grab + his unblockable makes him one of the best in group situations

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Ubi really needs to do something about idlers in dominion fast. Joined a game to rank up my nobushi, and all three of my teammates were spinning in the spawn.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Great, this game is now officially an MMO geargrind with standard farming bots

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Zzulu posted:

Great, this game is now officially an MMO geargrind with standard farming bots

It's really fun when you see a rep 10 108 gear score person doing it. What the gently caress gear do you even need?

Edit:

Honestly at this rate, this game is really not long for this world at all.

Beeb fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Mar 2, 2017

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I suppose it's a byproduct of having gear stats at all. People just don't want to play until they're geared up.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Capn Beeb posted:

Honestly at this rate, this game is really not long for this world at all.

Nah it's doing great!

Ubisoft'd

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Double Bill posted:

Nah it's doing great!

Ubisoft'd

http://www.githyp.com/for-honor-117356/player-count

I am reminded of The Division.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Heartcatch posted:

I suppose it's a byproduct of having gear stats at all. People just don't want to play until they're geared up.

I don't think it's just for gear. People wanna buy mythic sets with steel and ornaments.

Also, that playercount picture is worrying. I'm hoping it turns out like Rainbow Six. After they keep churning out patches that fix a lot of problems, the player count will bounce back up. Hopefully..

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
TBH I am starting to feel fatigued on this game already. Its just a cumulative effect of a lot of negative things. The clear imbalance between all the classes. The fact that a P2P game somehow has regular server issues. The buggy combat that leaves you wondering if you messed up or the game just hosed you over with something that isn't clear. And of course the incredibly salty community that regularly whines and rage quits over everything.

Its just starting to feel like a chore to play. When I lose a match I'm not sure if its because I messed up or I got hosed by the game's unclear mechanics. Was that a confirmed guard break or did I somehow not counter it despite knowing it was coming? How did that Orochi kill me with a top light when I was guarding upwards? Its a really bad feeling to not understand the mechanics behind my loss in a competitive game.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

With the valk buff, Kensei is def the worst class in the game. It only becomes more and more apparent the better people I fight.

Only "valid" move is top light, slowest side light attacks in the game, geting your dash attacks blocked is a free guaranteed guardbreak.

:sigh:

Not doing this to myself like I do in every fighting game, time to find a different, better class.

Double Bill posted:

Nah it's doing great!

Ubisoft'd

That's literally any multiplayer game ever, you will always get a dropoff after 2 weeks. Also I am assuming thats the pc version cause I see more players than that right now at 5 am est on ps4.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Internet Kraken posted:

How did that Orochi kill me with a top light when I was guarding upwards?

Been having this in PvP matches pretty often. My blocks do gently caress all against regular attacks, both light and heavy, not-unblockables.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
I thought berserker was the worst class due to predictable and slow heavies on an assassin

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Sperglord Firecock posted:

I thought berserker was the worst class due to predictable and slow heavies on an assassin

Once you are even on the 2nd hit on a chain(like, just start with a light), berserker has the fastest heavy attacks in the game(side heavies, top heavy is fixed chain ender).

Berserker is also the only class that has a second feint layer as they can cancel any attack into a dash. They aren't quite the blender the peacekeeper is, or the huge guaranteed damage of Orochi, but they sure ain't bad.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I really don't understand why a vs AI order can't be completed against players too, if you want to min/max your exp/steel gain you got to do a bunch of boring AI fights where more then likely you'll find your teammates afk in spawn.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Capn Beeb posted:

Been having this in PvP matches pretty often. My blocks do gently caress all against regular attacks, both light and heavy, not-unblockables.

Haven't been seeing that from Orochi, but I've been busy getting my clock cleaned by conquerors. There's a definite uptick in their popularity as of late it feels like.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Double Bill posted:

Nah it's doing great!

Ubisoft'd

Yeah, not saying that the game is doing superwell or anything but seeing a dropoff in the first few weeks after the launch is pretty normal.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sperglord Firecock posted:

Nah man you do your infinite and finish it with a feinted top heavy into another side light and then the idiot on the other side feels like a god drat fool for trying to parry your predictable big damage move.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

OxMan posted:

Hey guys, I just got this game a few days ago and tried reading the last 15 pages to get an idea of where the game is at but the lingo and various metas have changed so much since the OP that it's kinda impregnable from a newbie standpoint. A FG style OP with short character b&bs and an overview of the general flow of a match and how to gain initiative along with a glossary of For Honor specific character combo terms/properties (bashes, vortex) would help myself and any other new players get a grip on the mechanics faster.

I'm in this weird place where I started out playing on realistic in single player so I find it easy to block, parry and dodge most heroes but am unsure of how to best take advantage of it and mount an offensive where I gain the initiative. I'm sticking with warden while I'm learning the game since their toolset doesnt seem to be very input heavy, but I've also begun dabbling in Orochi since I like dangerous mobile mixup chars in other FGs.

I'll compile a list or something eventually but stuff is still being hashed out, so nothing is definite yet. From my perspective, we still don't know all the tools a character can use.

In general, any offense is pretty lacking. As intended, Warden's have the easiest time on offense since they have the best mixup. You would not be amiss playing them at all. Peacekeepers and Berserkers would also be fun if you are offensively minded. Really no one is input heavy (yet), there are very few true combos and the game is mostly setting up mindgames and footsies. On a character to character basis, this can degrade a bit, cause if a Warlord or a Conq just wants to lame you out slowly there is little you can do to pressure them.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I really don't understand why a vs AI order can't be completed against players too, if you want to min/max your exp/steel gain you got to do a bunch of boring AI fights where more then likely you'll find your teammates afk in spawn.

It's a way for them to populate all the modes/playlists.

I don't mind the AI ones, gives you a more chill setting to practice a new character.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I also wouldn't mind if some of these didn't take quite awhile to do.

50 executions in elim matchs? really?

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
I believe Hidden Stance also hides your directional indicators?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I got angry at this game last night and I maintain that gear is cool but you shouldn't be crippled to start compared to where you end up. The first 20 levels on any class are loving miserable if you aren't simply dueling/brawling.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Another dominion a minute from ending, another 2+ people crashing or quitting at the same time and causing the entire game to end without any reward from all that.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I'd be okay with longer quests if it meant that you got more steel for em

but you get the same poo poo for all of them

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Zzulu posted:

I'd be okay with longer quests if it meant that you got more steel for em

but you get the same poo poo for all of them

I'm fairly sure they're tiered in XP, if not steel. Simple ones like "win 5 games" give you 500, longer or more difficult ones go up to around 1500. It's not quite as good as steel, but experience leads to leveling, and past Rep 1 each level grants an item, so there's at least some tangible payoff down the line.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Are you sure it doesn't say 50 takedowns?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

boz posted:

Are you sure it doesn't say 50 takedowns?

That's probably what it is, the highest execution order I've ever seen was I think 10. 50 kills in elimination is a bit of a chore, but perfectly doable.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I think I'm also hitting that zone where everyone spams their bash attacks and it's honestly just exhausting to deal with. I used to have a ton of fun dueling people where they would actually use normal attacks without just entering into a guaranteed damage chain but out of the 12 or so duels I did last night I think I had the chance to parry three attacks.

I really think they need to either slow down, or increase the stamina, on bashes as it's really killing my interest in the game.

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Just thinking about what to do with all the money I don't have.
I absolutely hate the community for this game. Biggest bunch of assholes and crybabies I've ever seen. They're simultaneously sore losers, and salty winners. They complain about literally everything: my character, their character, playstyle, gear score, environmental kills, "honor", the map, the gametype...ugh.

So I try to avoid the toxicity and just enjoy a relaxing game of dominion vs. AI, but AFK farmers have ruined that too. Every game at least 2 teammates are AFK and we lose the match.

gently caress people. People suck.

KyleeBitkin
Jan 22, 2017

Around, and around, and around, and around...

Pearnicious posted:

I absolutely hate the community for this game. Biggest bunch of assholes and crybabies I've ever seen. They're simultaneously sore losers, and salty winners. They complain about literally everything: my character, their character, playstyle, gear score, environmental kills, "honor", the map, the gametype...ugh.

So I try to avoid the toxicity and just enjoy a relaxing game of dominion vs. AI, but AFK farmers have ruined that too. Every game at least 2 teammates are AFK and we lose the match.

It's true. Fighting in a 3v4 in Elimination and you take out two of the enemy in revenge? "Oh my god what a loving loser using a revenge build kys". Losing in a 4v1? "lol kill urself dude ur so bad cant evevn fight back".

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
It's really amazing that a full-priced AAA game with a season pass built a lovely F2P economy that gives it the exact same botting problems as some shitpile Korean MMO.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.

Pearnicious posted:

Turn off chat. Duels are a lot more relaxing without it.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

You can turn matchmaking off for the vs AI modes. I know it sorta defeats the purpose of multiplayer but if you want to quickly grind out a domination AI contract, it's the fastest, least stressful way.

With an AI team it's way easier to win, too. And you don't have to feel guilty spending the whole match killing mooks because of the contract.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Xeremides posted:

Turn off chat. Duels are a lot more relaxing without it.

This, regardless of mode. Unless you get some sort of thrill out of seeing how miserable these people get, it becomes a lot more pleasurable blocking it out, in my experience.

The other day in 1v1 my opponent stood there and committed suicide after complaining that he hated Lawbringers because "they never attack." What did he think was killing him? Dirty looks?

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Is it just me or is valk deflect timing way way different than parry timing