Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Brighter Summer Day is one of those movies that's so visually impactful that it gives you this life-altering aftereffect. It's like when you look at a spiral for thirty seconds and then everything gets all squiggly, but instead you're suddenly aware of the space you're in in this really freshly cinematic way. I love it when movies do that. I remember after seeing Playtime, I couldn't stop noticing little Tati-esque things all over the place.

No, no, who.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
And after I played a lot of Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3, I thought about sick combos you could do on architecture

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Hat Thoughts posted:

And after I played a lot of Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3, I thought about sick combos you could do on architecture

Once after playing a lot of Katamari Damacy, while driving home from school I saw a mailbox on the side of the road and my first instinct was to try to roll it up with my car.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

He was great in The Social Network but I kinda credit that more to Fincher. Is there another great role of his I'm missing out on?

For all of The Lone Ranger's flaws, Armie Hammer exuded a lot of charm in the lead role.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Timby posted:

Holy loving gently caress, everyone knows what movies you're talking about. All-caps is a weird script thing and you know it.

Oh I'm so sorry. Would you prefer I italicized titles? Or put them in bold? Shall I include the date too or should I put the title within quote marks? Can I capitalise any letters? How about taking a step back and accepting that everyone has their own way of posting instead. You'll be better off for it.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

DrVenkman posted:

Oh I'm so sorry. Would you prefer I italicized titles? Or put them in bold? Shall I include the date too or should I put the title within quote marks? Can I capitalise any letters? How about taking a step back and accepting that everyone has their own way of posting instead. You'll be better off for it.
Please include the year of release and the director of photography in parentheses as per long-standing genchat tradition.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

DrVenkman posted:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Safety Factor posted:

Please include the year of release and the director of photography in parentheses as per long-standing genchat tradition.

Screw tradition! Should we let The Man dictate how to format our titles? Lower case letters are nothing but a tool of oppression from the bourgeoisie.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
When listing a film, always bold it then put in italics and parentheses which giallo and or slasher is better right beside it that compares closest to said film's plot. For example:

I like The Shawshank Redemption ( 1988's Prison)

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
ATTN: CelticPredator

Went to Bed Bath & Beyond yesterday to get a gift for a family member. There was a Toys 'R Us next door, and I hadn't been in one of those since forever.

Saw these. They're rad.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Was gonna say, funny to see we're circling back to the 80s/90s where buying your child a mouth raping dick monster or literal pedophile dream molester is a-okay. But then I realized that's probably not even the target audience for these.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Was gonna say, funny to see we're circling back to the 80s/90s where buying your child a mouth raping dick monster or literal pedophile dream molester is a-okay. But then I realized that's probably not even the target audience for these.

Definitely not the audience. Almost the entire aisle was dedicated to horror/scifi/action videogame stuff.

They also had this.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Even as a tiny child I was weirded out that Robocop and Terminator toys were on sale. I mean maybe not so much the toys themselves, but the fact that they were advertised with these really sanitized cutesy commercials that completely ignored the horrible violence of the source material.

I also fondly remember the Men in Black toy commercial where the kids were ecstatic at "exterminating aliens", which is definitely what the movie was about.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

K. Waste posted:

It's really good. Better than A Single Man, even, which was already drat good.

Looks like we are in disagreement again. I liked NOCTURNAL ANIMALS immediately after seeing it, but the more distance I got, the worse it seemed. My main complaints are that the story within the story is much more interesting than what is supposed to be the main story, but because it isn't the whole film, there isn't enough time for that story to be fully developed. I spotted the plot twist with the detective getting lung cancer and going vigilante from very early on. I love Amy Adams but found her character pretty hard to relate to or feel sympathy for; that whole story (which is mesant to be the main one) was actually pretty unengaging. The film also felt overly stylised - I found it distasteful that a shot of a man finding his wife's and daughter's dead naked bodies was so beautifully composed and shot that it looked like a fashion shoot. It was inappropriate. SO THERE. :colbert:

LesterGroans posted:

It's strange because it feels like, beat by beat, an NPR-approved indie film but Viggo's performance pushes it a little past that. It also helps that the child actors didn't really have a weak link that I can remember.

I totally get what you mean. I love Viggo but I had to stop watching becasue it felt like a Hollywood writer's wet dream of what off-grid left-wing living would be like. It felt extremely contrived in that regard.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

freeallpoliticalprisoners

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Hat Thoughts posted:

No sorry, The Witness is the only video game that changes how you see the world in completely arbitrary ways.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

wyoming posted:

No sorry, The Witness is the only video game that changes how you see the world in completely arbitrary ways.

Back when mineceaft was new and I was super into it, I dreamed in cubes for weeks.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

This one time I played Minecraft for way too long on my server, and then I looked and saw it was like 4 am, and I thought to myself "I should really go to bed, I'm exhausted" so I walked up to my cabin in minecraft and clicked on my bed.

That is probably the dumbest I've ever felt.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

This one time I played Minecraft for way too long on my server, and then I looked and saw it was like 4 am, and I thought to myself "I should really go to bed, I'm exhausted" so I walked up to my cabin in minecraft and clicked on my bed.

That is amazing.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Sir Kodiak posted:

Skull Island is pretty good. Larry Fong brings a lot of what makes it work, it looks great. Not quite up to the standard of Godzilla (2014), though.

Larry Fong is that dude. I really want to see what he'd do with a feature of his own.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hat Thoughts posted:

It was a pretty basic beef stroganoff recipe, I was worried because I don't know what I'm doing but my friend who actually knows how to cook kind of guided me & it turned out really well. Pasta rules.
Invasion From Inner Earth was unfortunately pretty boring, there were a couple of fun things like the aliens only appearing in the form of a small red light, the occasional shot of a mini ufo & a guy doing a half robot voice over the radio. But like 98% of the movie is amateur actors saying semi-incomprehensible cliches at each other in a poorly lit cabin.
Still didn't mind though since when else am I gonna see someone's cheap regional Sci-fi movie in a theater setting + it's always satisfying to see everyone who didn't take off applaud passionately in a show of collective endurance.

Not my favorite (because it always looks a little grey and unhealthy) but stroganoff is good.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Pasta opinion: Spaghetti Carbonara is the best pasta dish

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

It's pretty drat good, but declaring something the best pasta dish is like declaring something the best film. As soon as you mention it, you immediately think of a dozen alternatives that could easily hold the title as well.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I like these two aliens having a casual conversation with each other.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

therattle posted:

Looks like we are in disagreement again. I liked NOCTURNAL ANIMALS immediately after seeing it, but the more distance I got, the worse it seemed. My main complaints are that the story within the story is much more interesting than what is supposed to be the main story, but because it isn't the whole film, there isn't enough time for that story to be fully developed. I spotted the plot twist with the detective getting lung cancer and going vigilante from very early on. I love Amy Adams but found her character pretty hard to relate to or feel sympathy for; that whole story (which is mesant to be the main one) was actually pretty unengaging. The film also felt overly stylised - I found it distasteful that a shot of a man finding his wife's and daughter's dead naked bodies was so beautifully composed and shot that it looked like a fashion shoot. It was inappropriate. SO THERE. :colbert:

The film isn't overly stylized, it effectively uses techniques of distanciation to provoke interpretation. The moment you mention does a very good job of contextualizing and reaffirming the psychoanalytical framework of the story: Taken separately, the two images hold completely different connotations, which arouses the confusion and distaste of the spectator. We are never being shown a contrast between 'fantasy vs. objective reality.' Rather, the parallel between the imagery violently disrupts the spectator's paradigmatic association between events which the protagonist technically isn't witnessing and the neutral ('objective,' god-like) cinematic gaze. The point is that Susan's traumatic recollection of the past and investment in a trashy crime novel by her former lover have pre-cognitively mapped this meta-cinematic/literary scene upon her reality, even though the connection between the daughter/wife dying in the novel and Susan's living daughter by a completely different man is obviously irrational.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

The MSJ posted:

...........ALIENS............
W A T E R C O O L E R

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

The MSJ posted:

Master chief waiting for the bus

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Snak posted:

Back when mineceaft was new and I was super into it, I dreamed in cubes for weeks.

I dreamt in ASCII for a night or two after spending a week learning to play Dwarf Fortress.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I used to see rock band when I closed my eyes if we'd been playing that for awhile.

My mom still plays Tetris on an original gameboy and gets Tetris vision sometimes.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Every time I played Burnout I'd drive my Prius into oncoming traffic

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I'd think about shooting power transformers whenever I drove past them after sinking dozens of hours into Just Cause 2.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Wanting to steal cargo containers after MGSV.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Sometimes when I'm in the shower I act like Superman fighting this laser beam.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjdnCC6n4xk

Wait, what were we talking about?

Realtalk, the machinery in that episode is really amazing. That one and Mechanical Monsters were my favourite growing up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DadH3KjHZws

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I live in a giant mushroom that is on multiple levels but has no stairs to keep N'wahs and other non levitating plebes out because of The Elder Scrolls.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Lurdiak posted:

I've really wanted to get obsessed with Minecraft over the years but every attempt of mine to get involved with some kind of multiplayer survival server has ended in either goofy-rear end technical issues or the other people involved petering out within days. I've put a lot of pathetic two-room houses with flat roofs onto the virtual landscape

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Jenny Angel posted:

I've really wanted to get obsessed with Minecraft over the years but every attempt of mine to get involved with some kind of multiplayer survival server has ended in either goofy-rear end technical issues or the other people involved petering out within days. I've put a lot of pathetic two-room houses with flat roofs onto the virtual landscape

Listening to my daughter endlessly talk about minecraft has made me infinitely glad that I never got into it.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

morestuff posted:

Every time I played Burnout I'd drive my Prius into oncoming traffic

When GTA 5 came out I kept accidentally stealing motorcycles and murdering prostitutes, pobody's nerfect!

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

glam rock hamhock posted:

Pasta opinion: Spaghetti Carbonara is the best pasta dish

It is indeed delicious but really too drat rich. It was invented for Italians who worked in the coal mines, which seems like the kind of manual labor that could justify such a meal. The minimum effort bullshit my affluent lil rear end does for 8 hours hardly qualifies.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

FreudianSlippers posted:

I live in a giant mushroom that is on multiple levels but has no stairs to keep N'wahs and other non levitating plebes out because of The Elder Scrolls.

I was just thinking the other day that even though you can get into the House Telvanni and help them out, they still hate you so much they build your mushroom house out in the middle of nowhere. I love that game and it's racist assholes.

Speaking of, I've started building the Foreign Quarter from Vivec in minecraft more than once.

Also built the technodrome

And the Black Lodge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Budgie Jumping posted:

It is indeed delicious but really too drat rich. It was invented for Italians who worked in the coal mines, which seems like the kind of manual labor that could justify such a meal. The minimum effort bullshit my affluent lil rear end does for 8 hours hardly qualifies.

The poo poo that gets served as carbonara in the States usually bears little resemblance to the classic Italian dish though

• Locked thread