Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

RyuHimora posted:

Ryzen was never going to be better than Intel. But you're going to be hard-pressed to tell the difference between a Ryzen chip and an Intel chip in a game, especially in DX12 or Vulkan games.
Yup. With Ryzen they've gotten close enough to Intel's latest core performance to not matter for most things while still selling for much less. That is the best you could realistically hope for with Ryzen.

If you want something that will maaaaaybe go toe to toe with or even beat Intel's best you'll have to wait for Zen+. They'll probably sell it for a whole lot though. AMD was always perfectly willing to charge top dollar if they actually had a performance lead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Hopefully by then, the bugs will be fixed and there will be more motherboard support/variety too. AM4 is going to be around a long time.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Yup. With Ryzen they've gotten close enough to Intel's latest core performance to not matter for most things while still selling for much less. That is the best you could realistically hope for with Ryzen.

If you want something that will maaaaaybe go toe to toe with or even beat Intel's best you'll have to wait for Zen+. They'll probably sell it for a whole lot though. AMD was always perfectly willing to charge top dollar if they actually had a performance lead.
Yep. The prices on Opteron chips branded as Athlon FX from way back when were just like 5% off the opteron price lmao

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Anandtech interview with Dr. Su: http://www.anandtech.com/show/11177/making-amd-tick-a-very-zen-interview-with-dr-lisa-su-ceo

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

RyuHimora posted:

We won't know for at least one more day though.

Review embargo drops at 9AM EST

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Seemed like a fairly relaxed interview but not really much in the way of solid info. was gotten out of her as to be expected. :/

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I'm still confused about pins. Why pins instead of LGA?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Boiled Water posted:

I'm still confused about pins. Why pins instead of LGA?

because gently caress you that's why

AMD does pins not LGA, it's obviously better because otherwise AMD wouldn't do it, duh. AMD loves the consumer and everything they do is consumer-oriented.

maybe you're like Linus and you happen to be a klutz, you now get to replace a $500 processor instead of a $100 motherboard

by grabthar's hammer, what a savings

eames
May 9, 2009

this youtuber has a bunch of 1800X + GTX1080 gameplay videos on his channel. The CPU core utilization on the OSD is interesting (and disappointing).

NDA expires in a few minutes.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

eames posted:

this youtuber has a bunch of 1800X + GTX1080 gameplay videos on his channel. The CPU core utilization on the OSD is interesting (and disappointing).

NDA expires in a few minutes.

hmm, yase, those 4K videos surely are not GPU-bound, definitely a legitimate test of Ryzen CPU performance

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Mar 2, 2017

eames
May 9, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

hmm, yase, those 4K videos surely are not GPU-bound, definitely a legitimate test of Ryzen performance

yeah, GPU utilization is pinned at 99%. At least we learned that 8C/16T are great for loading up Minecraft. :eng101:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
for the record y'all should post anandtech, techreport, or techpowerup as soon as they are live, because I actually am interested in what Ryzen can do in a fair benchmark

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Here we go: http://www.anandtech.com/show/11170/the-amd-zen-and-ryzen-7-review-a-deep-dive-on-1800x-1700x-and-1700

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Here we go: have not read any of these yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=attribution_link [GN]

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11170/the-amd-zen-and-ryzen-7-review-a-deep-dive-on-1800x-1700x-and-1700

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-7-1800x-cpu,4951.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wJQEHNYE7M [LinusTechTips]

https://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2017/03/02/amd-ryzen-1800x-and-am4-platform-review/1 [bit-tech]

https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_mainboard/amd_ryzen_7_1800x_cpu_review/1#.WLglgew9tKE.reddit [overclock3d]

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

^ your GamersNexus embed is busted

GamersNexus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7UBHjtCXhU

PC Perspective
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b-CnNPk0CI

repiv fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Mar 2, 2017

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

repiv posted:

^ your GamersNexus embed is busted

they busted it - it was working before

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b4eung6xd...AAC%29.mp4?dl=0

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Wow, pleasantly surprised. The 1800x looks like a true beast.

eames
May 9, 2009

GN review title seems spot on. "AMD Ryzen R7 1800X Review: An i5 in Gaming, i7 in Production"

1800X getting toasty at 75°C with a 2x120mm AIO watercooler at full fanspeed. :tif:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Paul MaudDib posted:

for the record y'all should post ... techreport ... as soon as they are live

so sometime in june then? :v:

(it's a burn from the heart, I was on TR for years and years before I came over to SA)

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Post tldr while I'm reading these word for word go

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
GN: official ryzen support for memory clocks are ddr4- 2667

eames
May 9, 2009

Disabling SMT in BF1 gives a stock 1800X the same performance as 1800X @ 3.9 Ghz and increases minimum framerates by 50%.

"You're better off disabling SMT than overclocking, although if you do both you'll get more of an performance jump."

Looks like their neural network threadripper still has some learning to do.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

eames posted:

Disabling SMT in BF1 gives a stock 1800X the same performance as 1800X @ 3.9 Ghz and increases minimum framerates by 50%.

"You're better off disabling SMT than overclocking, although if you do both you'll get more of an performance jump."

Looks like their neural network threadripper still has some learning to do.

Do we know if Microsoft have pushed out Zen support in the Windows kernel yet? If it's anything like Linux then the existing SMT code for Intel won't be able to make sense of Zens core layout and the scheduler won't work properly until they add support.

repiv fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Mar 2, 2017

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
GN: the offical TDP is very minimal, anyone putting ryzen under sustained load should put it under water (07:18)

total system draw: 185W (i.e. the 125W CPU TDP is probably accurate - personal speculation)

eames
May 9, 2009

repiv posted:

Do we know if Microsoft have pushed out Zen support in the Windows kernel yet? Linux needed an update to detect Zens SMT layout and schedule around it correctly.

anandtech interview posted:

Q4: With Bulldozer, AMD had to work with Microsoft due to the way threads were dispatched to cores to ensure proper performance. Even though Zen doesn't have that issue, was there any significant back-and-forth with Microsoft to enable performance in Windows (e.g. XFR?)

Dr. Lisa Su: Zen is a pretty traditional x86 architecture as an overall machine, but there is optimization work to do. What makes this a bit different is that most of our optimization work is more on the developer side – we work with them to really understanding the bottlenecks in their code on our microarchitecture. I see many apps being tuned and getting better going on as we work forward on this.

Doesn't sound like there's a huge amount of performance left on the table but who knows.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
GN (08:25) - the 95W TDP is only accurate for single core turbo - literally a single core (1T) measurement

1800X beats the 6900K 67.4 vs 68.5 in render time in Adobe Premiere - CPU ONLY (9:45)

CUDA accelerated - the 6900K beats the 1800X 19.2 min vs 20.6 min at stock clocks (10:08)

12:03: roughly double FX 8370 performance at stock clocks

timings in BF1 (not my bar in the middle):

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 2, 2017

eames
May 9, 2009

AMD suggested 1440p benchmarking to create GPU bottlenecks, heh. GN is also calling out their tech demo tricks like moving the camera to view the Skybox in Sniper Elite. :iceburn:

Zen+ should be interesting if they can pull off a 10-15% IPC improvement plus process improvements plus multithreading improvements . At the moment I'd still prefer a 7700K over a 1800X.

edit: 5.8 Ghz on LN2:

http://hwbot.org/submission/3473875_der8auer_cpu_frequency_ryzen_7_1800x_5802.93_mhz

Vcore: 1,97V :vince:

eames fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Mar 2, 2017

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

So it's basically the same case as with 7700K vs 5820K for gamers. Non-game performance is massively superior but they don't make sense for average gamers. Ryzen will replace Broadwell/Haswell-E for the vast majority of power and workstation users, but the 7700K is still the gaming sweetspot. Before going for more cores, go for running a 7700K at 5.1GHz+ and getting fuckoff fast DDR4 for gaming.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
GN 18:30 ish: after we consulted AMD they suggested a GPU-bottlenecked configuration to try and hide CPU performance

loving lol, what was that about Intel bias

edit: that configuration is:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 2, 2017

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

BurritoJustice posted:

So it's basically the same case as with 7700K vs 5820K for gamers. Non-game performance is massively superior but they don't make sense for average gamers. Ryzen will replace Broadwell/Haswell-E for the vast majority of power and workstation users, but the 7700K is still the gaming sweetspot. Before going for more cores, go for running a 7700K at 5.1GHz+ and getting fuckoff fast DDR4 for gaming.

I don't know about the workstation market, since no one builds the machines themselves it'll be very much up to Lenovo/HP types to figure this one out for us.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
b b b but i thought it was gonna make intel have to basically give the 7700k away because it was going to be such a gaming monster

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Don Lapre posted:

b b b but i thought it was gonna make intel have to basically give the 7700k away because it was going to be such a gaming monster

and that day jack learned that he shouldn't buy the box of magic beans before the giant produced bench tests that proved the performance

edit: GN 21:00-ish: AMD inflated the "leaked" benchmarks by various methods - including removing skybox in some games, changing up the perspective in "standard" game benchmarks, etc

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 2, 2017

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Paul MaudDib posted:

and that day jack learned that he shouldn't buy the box of magic beans before the giant produced bench tests that proved the performance

UBIsoft really did buy AMD

eames
May 9, 2009

I was looking forward to a DigitalFoundry frametime comparison video but they don't even have a review up. :sigh:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

edit: GN 21:00-ish: AMD inflated the "leaked" benchmarks by various methods - including removing skybox in some games, changing up the perspective in "standard" game benchmarks, etc

:lol: they really did look straight at the sky every time they reloaded. We should have picked up on that :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7UBHjtCXhU&t=1280s

eames
May 9, 2009

:rip:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

dat 3770k

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I literally haven't seen anything but the GN review of the 1800X and the benches Eames posted but I'm calling it now: buy 5820K if you want a 1800X, buy 7700K/7600K if you want max 4-core performance for games, if you want more than a 1800x then reassess your priorities in life but if you really only want to render videos then OK the 1800X is decent.

Otherwise it's poo poo, called it a month ago.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 2, 2017

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Still relevant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
It's close to what could have been expected, except I was surprised to see how badly it could perform with SMT (THREADRIPPER) enabled at times in the Gamers' Nexus review.

I think AMD have made a mistake by releasing only an 8-core launch line-up, because 8-core is still basically kind of niche. A solid 4 and 6 core offering with clocks a bit over 4GHz would have made more sense for the mainstream gaming market. But maybe they can't push it any more, it certainly seems that way. GloFlo strikes again?

• Locked thread