Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Ah, ok. The failure point in my previous attempt (ignoring failing to create the right title twice in a row) was not subjugating sjaeland and then by the time I got around to attacking them they'd grown AND eaten the one province holy site.

Then norway/denmark became a giant clusterfuck as the islanders launched a subjugation of sjaeland who was already embroiled in a decade long revolt that was going nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Moridin920 posted:

It's easier to form the kingdom first because you can subjugate for Sjaelland and then you can usually just vassalize the other one bc he is a count iirc.

The only thing you lose is you can't then do the custom Fylkirate kingdom (right?) but imo that doesn't even matter because it won't be your primary title once you form the Scandinavian Empire and it's not really worth losing out on the de jure stuff that gives you in order to do a custom empire.

esp since you can just rename the empire to "The Fylkirate" if you really want.

You can't copy the flag over though.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Vengarr posted:

Yeah, you'll get the defensive attrition.

Note that if you manage to take the Holy Site in Germany, it will trigger the start of the Crusades early.
Only if you take it from the Christians. If you take it while it's still pagan, either by subjugating Saxony or fabricating a claim on Braunschweig, it will not trigger the Crusades.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

If you have all of Sweden and Denmark, and the Norwegian holy site is an independent count, you can probably offer vasalization to him. Any single county norse provinces will likely swear fealty to a neighboring norse king, so just ask.
Confirmed from my own experience. I don't think I actually conquered anybody in Norway, I just asked them nicely to become my vassals and as soon as I had a border with them they accepted.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Do norse lose their subjugation CB when they form a king level title or something? I formed sweden and now I can't subjugate sjaeland, or ostlandet which became huge while I was trying to raise funds to form sweden.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Carcer posted:

Do norse lose their subjugation CB when they form a king level title or something? I formed sweden and now I can't subjugate sjaeland, or ostlandet which became huge while I was trying to raise funds to form sweden.

This has been a bug for a long time.

The become a king ambition gives you as many subjugation CBs as you want, in the De Jure kingdom. However, using them still uses your Pagan Subjugation DB.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
So I have to subjagate Sjaeland and THEN use the ambition for forming sweden? Or will that break somehow as well.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It's been a while since I tested it out, but using Pagan CB first should not affect your Ambition CB. That order should work.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Carcer posted:

So I have to subjagate Sjaeland and THEN use the ambition for forming sweden? Or will that break somehow as well.
Confirmed, that's my usual plan. Note also that the ambition gives you free subjugations against anybody who owns land in de jure Sweden. If Sjaelland takes over Vastergautland, as it often does in my experience, you can freely subjugate them as part of your ambition and use your pagan subjugation against Satakunda or whomever.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Ostlandet has taken the 3rd holy site 4 games in a row and the fuckers won't submit under my rightful rule. I'm going to have to forge a claim and tear it out of them. Until then, I suppose I raid and generally beat up pagans around me.

E: Yeeeeaaaaah, this isn't working at all.

Carcer fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 1, 2017

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
The way I did it was to rush-subjugate the bottom holy site and fabricate on the top one while I was doing that.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

I ended up with my kingdom constantly in civil war because i had to many vassals after uniting the Norse world under my thumb. So I was giving chiefs to jarls with no care about geography. so my jarls were in a constant low boil of fighting over de jure claims. This gave me reign to conga line conquer lands in England and get the moral authority to reform as the Fylkirate. Then I was broke for about 20 years thanks to constantly having my levies active and not raiding defnding against random holy wars by the Catholics

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Just break off about 1000 guys and have them do a roundtrip of the med. If you time it right Constantinople will have regened its looting reserves by the time you're done hitting the other easy marks.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
What is with this advice???

DPs Guide to Moral Authority for Norse Pagans

1) Burn the World
Burn down every single one country province in the world with a church in it. Ireland is the easiest/simplest/closest but there's a few in England and your fellow pagan lands. Every Holy Site has one and there's a few easy ones you can reach.

2) Conquest can wait
Conquests might be appealing but if you take them in Ireland, that's one county you can't burn down. Let it lie fallow.

3) Burn Down The Papacy
The Papacy is weak and small and any but the tiniest of Raiding nations can do it. I´ve done it as an Ibadi, Finnish Pagan, gently caress, as a Manichean.

And if you capture the Pope, well...

4) Go for the Holy Sites
I can guess you can do that? The one in Zeeland is easy enough but this is only useful if you've been rushing. Still, a few stacks of Tribal Warriors there and ticking warscore will get you what you want. That means you should have 40 if you have the others and only need to make up for the other idiots failing conquests and prepared invasions.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I think it is imbalanced that when I Great Blot a Muslim they get -3% moral authority to their religion, meanwhile others don't get that unless you get their religious head.

Is there something I'm missing? 'Cuz it seems broken that even sacrificing a landless courtier = -3% moral authority to their religion. Been wondering about that lately but that last post just reminded me.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

So uh if you capture a king/leader does that always autowin you the war and if so how long has that been a thing? Because I just got loving mullered by a 14k stack but I suddenly have 100% warscore anyway and christ, that's pretty good isn't it? :psyduck:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

In my current game I can't actually raid the pope because he has no land. Rome has been controlled by pagans for over a century but they don't control enough of the duchy to usurp it. The remaining lands are controlled by Germanic Lombardy who have never bothered to do anything about it. He's declared at least three crusades that were fought only by knightly orders because there are no other independent Catholics left. The only landed Catholics that aren't knights are vassals in Central Asia.

I'm a bit bored of controlling all of Western Europe and the patch is just around the corner so I'm just going to hand out independence to everyone and then convert this to use for Europa Universalis.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 2, 2017

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

spectralent posted:

So uh if you capture a king/leader does that always autowin you the war and if so how long has that been a thing? Because I just got loving mullered by a 14k stack but I suddenly have 100% warscore anyway and christ, that's pretty good isn't it? :psyduck:

It's always been that way.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Further daily discovery: Need to be adjacent to your botes to raid somewhere properly.

Further further discovery: You don't need to be adjacent to botes to sack temples or kidnap people :black101:

Mantis42 posted:

It's always been that way.

I'm really glad I worked that out when it came in useful.

OTOH this might explain a few times I inexplicably lost wars all of a sudden.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Sometimes when I know I'm going to lose a war the final hail mary play is just beeline for wherever their capital is and siege it down real quick to hopefully capture the leader and/or other close family (which also give a big warscore bump iirc).

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Moridin920 posted:

Sometimes when I know I'm going to lose a war the final hail mary play is just beeline for wherever their capital is and siege it down real quick to hopefully capture the leader and/or other close family (which also give a big warscore bump iirc).

This is why you train your leaders to be killing machines and lead your armies against your foes, dudes love battlefield duels

just cant get enough of em

One time I had a dad, a son, and a second son all die in the same battle to the same khan. They can't get enough battlefield duels!!

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
It's a bit frustrating that you can get through a lot of the game if you have a high Martial or Intrigue score.
Having high Martial gives you enough personal levies that factions trigger far less often, and you've got the manpower for offensive wars.
Having high Intrigue means that you can keep :ese: until you get a vassal who doesn't hate you, or until the title reverts back to you.

High Diplomacy and... well, vassals who like you will like you more, but vassals who don't will still hate your guts.
High Stewardship and you can eke out another demesne slot or two, but I hope your next ruler has the same score or higher, or you're losing it.
High Learning and you don't even deserve this game, really.

It'd be good to have 'offensive' actions for the 3 loser stats. Throwing out some (bad) ideas, but Diplomacy could persuade another courtier to duel your target, Stewardship could buy up your target's property/buy the debts of their family and friends, Learning could embarrass your target in public debates or arguments.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
High diplomacy totally helps with the stabbing, incidentally. Potentially even more than high intrigue, if you're in a large realm.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

How do you afford this? With all my levies raised (Generally between 2500 and 4500 troops) It costs me 4 gold a month, a tribal army on top of that is another 1.7 or something. If I'm not spending my raiding time hitting lucrative med areas I feel I'd go bankrupt really quickly.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Moridin920 posted:

I think it is imbalanced that when I Great Blot a Muslim they get -3% moral authority to their religion, meanwhile others don't get that unless you get their religious head.

Is there something I'm missing? 'Cuz it seems broken that even sacrificing a landless courtier = -3% moral authority to their religion. Been wondering about that lately but that last post just reminded me.

It's just a bug. I thought it was fixed in the previous patch, but seems not. It is fixed internally though, so you'll get it when M&M hits.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Jabor posted:

High diplomacy totally helps with the stabbing, incidentally. Potentially even more than high intrigue, if you're in a large realm.

Huh, I didn't know this. How so? Getting more people involved in the plot?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

spectralent posted:

Huh, I didn't know this. How so? Getting more people involved in the plot?

Higher diplomacy = more people like you more than the other guy = easier stabbing.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Ok, so, everything finally went right. I subjugated sjaeland, formed sweden and I've got 3 holy sites. As I land to raid chuches in ireland a loving revolt fires in the county I land and my raiders are narrowly beaten by the rebels and my dumb goddam rear end is captured.

The rebels won in the time it took me to get enough soldiers back to fight them again, and I've now beaten the army and raided all of the lands of my captor but I'm still tuck in jail. Is there nothing I can do, short of ransoming myself (Which my captor won't accept, anyway) to get myself free?

e: ransomed myself, new complaint. Combat is a black box, how the gently caress do I lose a fight where I outnumber the other guy and he has no one leading his center against an 18 martial guy with boosts to leading the center.

Carcer fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Mar 2, 2017

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Carcer posted:

e: ransomed myself, new complaint. Combat is a black box, how the gently caress do I lose a fight where I outnumber the other guy and he has no one leading his center against an 18 martial guy with boosts to leading the center.

Is most of your army lovely light infantry going up against their knights and heavy infantry and stuff?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Yeah, HI can beat LI outnumbered like 3-1. They're a bit sadder if there's lots of archers, but in general expect HI to win anywhere the numbers are reasonably comparable.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Also commanders don't matter very much. If the battle is otherwise very close the commanders can make a difference but troop count and composition is far far far more important.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

To check, if I have an empire-level title it doesn't matter if the king-level titles change hands on my death so long as my heir is still emperor, right? Even if the king of norway is my nephew or something my son's still his boss?

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I've come back from the Great Bullshit Thrashing of 886 but now Norse moral authority is at 22 from other idiots losing wars and I'm never going to be able to raid enough irish to get back to 50 before I die and lose all my piety.

e: Ok now its at 11 and I think I should just give up on playing this game for a while.

Carcer fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Mar 2, 2017

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?

Carcer posted:

I've come back from the Great Bullshit Thrashing of 886 but now Norse moral authority is at 22 from other idiots losing wars and I'm never going to be able to raid enough irish to get back to 50 before I die and lose all my piety.

e: Ok now its at 11 and I think I should just give up on playing this game for a while.

Conquer then or get into alliances with them.
If they're your vassal, they're less likely to start religious wars, and can't be holy-warred.
If they're your allies, you can help the dipshits not ruin things for you (and also protect norsedom's borders from rampaging catholics)

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I'm just frustrated a bunch of crap has happened and now my guy is too old to pull it back before he dies and I'm nearly back to step 1 again. It took me about 6 tries to get to this point and I'm not up to a 7th.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
If you can secure all 5 holy sites moral authority no longer matters and you can reform the faith immediately.

That said the 5th one is a few counties deep into Karlingsblob Germany, and may trigger Crusades.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I've considered that but I can see myself basking in the achievement for about 5 seconds before the entirety of Christendom comes down on me like a furious storm of swords, crosses and hail marys.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Man, now that I know you always win the war if you capture their king I've been able to pull off some real blitzkrieg bullshit. Why even bother worrying about defensive coalitions if you can be in their capital/main stack about three months before anyone gets here and force their king to sign a peace? I've got the scandanavian empire and enough territory to make England if I get enough cash, which I strongly suspect I'll be able to get now I can have like 5k of raiders.

OTOH my threat is now at 100%.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The trick is to never not be at war. Start by attacking your weakest neighbours. Get a tribal army as soon as you have enough prestige but never end a war without declaring a new one first or they'll vanish. Spend all your prestige on more tribal armies and raid on the side. If you are doing religious wars then declare many at once since the targets same religiion neighbours will join anyway.

Raiding some soft targets in a strong realm before actually going to war is also good because then those holdings will be really easy to siege for some cheap warscore.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 2, 2017

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

spectralent posted:

Man, now that I know you always win the war if you capture their king I've been able to pull off some real blitzkrieg bullshit. Why even bother worrying about defensive coalitions if you can be in their capital/main stack about three months before anyone gets here and force their king to sign a peace? I've got the scandanavian empire and enough territory to make England if I get enough cash, which I strongly suspect I'll be able to get now I can have like 5k of raiders.

OTOH my threat is now at 100%.

huh, what are the odds of capturing the guy in charge when you take their capital anyway? it sounds to me like you're getting some crazy good luck if you're pulling it off that consistently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!
I think the super cheese method is to convert to Christianity, become feudal/republic, then convert back to unreformed Norse (or die and let your unreformed Norse heir inherit.)

Now you have the best of both worlds.

• Locked thread