Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Haters gonna hate, post your suit.

You haven't posted any pics of your trip yet this is a p good idea for a pic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
I want to see the suit.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
I *don't* want to see your suit

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just to be clear, is a 5 piece suit pants, shirt, tie, vest and jacket? Otherwise there might be some disappointment if how we are counting items is wrong.

Atlas Hugged posted:

Don't post the suit.

You already made your statement.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
A three piece suit is trousers, a jacket and a waistcoat. They are made from the same cloth so they are three pieces of one suit.

I've never seen it with the shirt and tie also cut from suiting cloth.

But I want to.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

hakimashou posted:

A three piece suit is trousers, a jacket and a waistcoat.

wtf are these made up words? you're just mocking him at this point

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

hakimashou posted:

A three piece suit is trousers, a jacket and a waistcoat.

Shirt and tie are also not part of the suit, they are part of being properly dressed.

oohhboy posted:

Just to be clear, is a 5 piece suit pants, shirt, tie, vest and jacket? Otherwise there might be some disappointment if how we are counting items is wrong.

GIS'ing five piece suits brings up lovely indian and chinese retailers, but also this hilarious Dwight costume for children:

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Boiled Water posted:

Shirt and tie are also not part of the suit, they are part of being properly dressed.

GIS'ing five piece suits brings up lovely indian and chinese retailers, but also this hilarious Dwight costume for children:

He went to China he bought it in China.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

oohhboy posted:

Where are you from, incidentally? This might be a regional thing, where I'm from a two-piece suit is pants/trousers and jacket and a three-piece is pants/trousers, jacket, and vest/waistcoat--the terminology varies here but the end result is the same. The shirt is assumed and the tie is optional* so they're not "pieces" of the suit.

So I'm really curious here because when you say "five-piece suit" I have no idea what you're talking about.

*in the literal and not sartorial sense, naturally

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Pirate Radar posted:

Where are you from, incidentally?

he has mentioned new zealand repeatedly, which makes a lot of sense what with the hole in the ozone layer being right there and whatnot

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Pirate Radar posted:

Where are you from, incidentally? This might be a regional thing, where I'm from a two-piece suit is pants/trousers and jacket and a three-piece is pants/trousers, jacket, and vest/waistcoat--the terminology varies here but the end result is the same. The shirt is assumed and the tie is optional* so they're not "pieces" of the suit.

So I'm really curious here because when you say "five-piece suit" I have no idea what you're talking about.

*in the literal and not sartorial sense, naturally

That bird in your avatar, he might be wearing a five piece suit

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hakimashou posted:

That bird in your avatar, he might be wearing a five piece suit

Then you're going to be disappointed as the counting method I used is the one I posted above.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Can we not go on and on about what people from different places call different things? I'll post some real honest-to-god .jpg if the thread's still worth posting in tomorrow

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

oohhboy posted:

Then you're going to be disappointed as the counting method I used is the one I posted above.

Pants, jacket, vest... shirt and tie? Really, where are you from? This is fascinating.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

simplefish posted:

Can we not go on and on about what people from different places call different things?

I totally think we should, because it sparks interesting debate and helps broaden our minds to be a bigger part of the globe society.
I'll start:
"el taco" is Spanish for "the taco"
crazy, right?

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Tomorrow, if I get time, I want to post my China EDC. Somebody remind me like 14-18 hours later.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

simplefish posted:

Can we not go on and on about what people from different places call different things? I'll post some real honest-to-god .jpg if the thread's still worth posting in tomorrow

There are two ways this can go, right?

1. Ohhboy is right, and he's from a place that calls that a "five-piece suit." I've never heard of that before so I get to learn something!

2. Nobody calls it that except him. He goes through life in a constant haze of misunderstandings that are always, somehow, the other person's fault, like some kind of incredibly boring Larry David.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Pirate Radar posted:

There are two ways this can go, right?

1. Ohhboy is right, and he's from a place that calls that a "five-piece suit." I've never heard of that before so I get to learn something!

2. Nobody calls it that except him. He goes through life in a constant haze of misunderstandings that are always, somehow, the other person's fault, like some kind of incredibly boring Larry David.

allow me to quote from his rap sheet, almost a year ago:

ohhboy's rap sheet posted:

For real though dude, you post like the kinda guy who sets out to "Win" conversations. You're weirdly hostile and belittling towards anyone who disagrees with you, even people who are trying to have an honest dialogue. Cut it out.

Haier posted:

Tomorrow, if I get time, I want to post my China EDC. Somebody remind me like 14-18 hours later.

totally hoping the ED stands for "Erectile Disfunction" and there's a great story involved

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Ohhboyyy just imagine this thread is a game of badminton, and the posters are your HK aunt who wants you to have a bit of fun and play and try to encourage you. Now imagine that you actually find out that it's really not worth your time and effort, and ultimately not much fun for you, because you don't have access to the right equipment, which is interesting stories, an enjoyable way of writing, or basic knowledge on human interactions.

That way everyone involved will be much happier, I'm sure of it.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
oohhboy post a photo tomorrow of yourself wearing that 5-piece suit in an open casket

because you died

and i want the eulogy to be long-winded and incoherent

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

oohhboy posted:

Post the suit take a picture of it with your phone and post it man

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

LentThem posted:

oohhboy post a photo tomorrow of yourself wearing that 5-piece suit in an open casket

because you died

and i want the eulogy to be long-winded and incoherent

That's really mean, wishing him dead. As if it wasn't bad enough that he didn't get to enjoy his vacation.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I was told a 5 piece suit was a 3 piece suit with a cloak and hat. Since the last two aren't popular anymore, you don't really see them around.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Ooohboy sucks and has seriously diminished one of my favorite threads.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Glenn Quebec posted:

Ooohboy sucks and has seriously diminished one of my favorite threads.

:same:

but then haier posted the cake story and balance was restored

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

UltraRed posted:

I was told a 5 piece suit was a 3 piece suit with a cloak and hat. Since the last two aren't popular anymore, you don't really see them around.

No, turns out he was counting his socks.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

ladron posted:

totally hoping the ED stands for "Erectile Disfunction" and there's a great story involved
"Every Day Carry," which is a term for the poo poo that people pretend to carry in their pockets and bags all day and then neatly arrange in photos to show just how amazingly cool and unique they are. https://www.reddit.com/r/EDC/ is full it's own tropes, mostly of 22-yo college kids carrying Bowie knives and Glocks to their computer science classes. Seriously, they all have knives. I have to put a knife in my photo.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Haier posted:

"Every Day Carry," which is a term for the poo poo that people pretend to carry in their pockets and bags all day and then neatly arrange in photos to show just how amazingly cool and unique they are. https://www.reddit.com/r/EDC/ is full it's own tropes, mostly of 22-yo college kids carrying Bowie knives and Glocks to their computer science classes. Seriously, they all have knives. I have to put a knife in my photo.

Read this as "Everyday Drew Carey" and became increasingly confused as the paragraph progressed. What is an Everyday Drew Carey? I'm not sure, but it probably has something to do with 5 piece suits.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Facebook Aunt posted:

Read this as "Everyday Drew Carey" and became increasingly confused as the paragraph progressed. What is an Everyday Drew Carey? I'm not sure, but it probably has something to do with 5 piece suits.
Not since he's lost weight; he's down to three pieces now!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Haier, I know this sounds dumb but I can't believe you can attract a crowd by eating lunch. Next time you're out could you take a video or pictures of the idiots watching the idiot eating his food?

Also Hooboy just clarify what 5 piece means or take a picture. It's like you're inadvertently trolling and being trolled in some wierd trollcycle.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Outrail posted:

Haier, I know this sounds dumb but I can't believe you can attract a crowd by eating lunch. Next time you're out could you take a video or pictures of the idiots watching the idiot eating his food?

Also Hooboy just clarify what 5 piece means or take a picture. It's like you're inadvertently trolling and being trolled in some wierd trollcycle.

Yeah I'd love videos or pictures. I have a hard time imaging most of his stories because even my minds eye can't fathom a zombie like hoard of old chinese people crawling over fences to gawk at a white person, it's too insane.
Also if idiots stop giving the dude who's desperate for attention exactly what his terrible posting is fueled by maybe he'd post better/less. It's like trying to chase a noisy stray dog away by hurling food at it.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Haier posted:

"Every Day Carry,"

awwwwww dammit

Outrail posted:

are you kidding? being stared at by our betters like the mongrels we are is like foreigner 101

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Outrail posted:

this haier we want to gawk at you online also

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Lol if you don't draw a crowd everywhere you go, with people whispering, pointing, children moving out of the way in fear, seeing the terror in their souls as they feel your gaze upon them, with the occasional group with torches and pitchforks coming after you when you're out for groceries or feasting on their freshly killed carcasses

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Outrail posted:

choosing to eat outside on a street corner, with a skateboard, with chopsticks will get you gawked at pretty quickly

when i am just sitting on the bench by the bustop i get gawked at and i don't have a skateboard and am not using chopsticks

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

I was sick for two days and couldn't chime in on Korea chat. I hope it comes back soon!

ladron posted:

are you kidding? being stared at by our betters like the mongrels we are is like foreigner 101

No poo poo. The more foreigner you look, the harder people will stare. If you have the qualities of what Asians think of when they think Western European (blonde hair, blue eyes, tall) they will break their neck to stare at you as you walk by. Didn't happen much in the trendier parts of town, but once you get into the sticks it happens all the drat time.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
korea chat. I want to go to one of those hot mud baths.

What is the bathroom etiquette? Like obviously you shouldnt piss and poo poo in the mud, but who could even tell with the already persistent sulphur and poop smells?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

There's a big old folks tower block by my work. Today when I was walking past I noticed someone's scooter had fallen off the ramp to one of their little shuttle buses. One old lady was sitting on a wall crying a little and a couple of her friends or what ever were calming her down but she looks unharmed, she looked most upset that her scooter was sideways and sort of stuck awkwardly between the curb and the bus and the ramp and maybe damaged.

Out from the building came 4 old asian ladies, hands clasped behind their backs and they walked out just to get within a couple meters and gawk. I thought they were just more friends/fellow residents or what ever but they never said a word or asked if the lady was ok, they just gawked in awkward silence while the other people glaced at them a few times and looked annoyed. No "hello fellow resident of this seniors building, are you ok? What happened?" just gawkin'

I wouldn't have noticed the details but it matched so many stories in this thread.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
sheep-goats wrote this post a while back about why people in china gawk, and i thought it was pretty ridiculous, it had something to do with like their eyes being in their own individual space, so they can do whatever they want with that space, as long as it doesn't interfere with another person's space? i can't quite remember it.

the amount of gawking is pretty crazy because when you see someone staring in usa or canada or japan or hong kong or australia or spain or pretty much every place i've ever been, it's like "that's rude, don't do that", but in china its like "whoa poo poo i better look at this interesting thing for as long as possible"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

kimcicle posted:

I was sick for two days and couldn't chime in on Korea chat. I hope it comes back soon!

No poo poo. The more foreigner you look, the harder people will stare. If you have the qualities of what Asians think of when they think Western European (blonde hair, blue eyes, tall) they will break their neck to stare at you as you walk by.

What happens when they see someone like this?

Do their eyes pop out of their head like a Warner Bros. cartoon character?

• Locked thread