Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

zen death robot posted:

it's because you're a fundamentally lovely person

actually the best burn itt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

zen death robot posted:

it's because you're a fundamentally lovely person

you need to post more

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

The Management posted:

so what happens if you give a terrible but technically correct answer?

if you give an answer different in any way to the wikipedia printout that the agent has its back to syria with you

poty fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 1, 2017

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Blinkz0rz posted:

is facebook bad to work for? a recruiter reached out and while i'll probably decline because it's a relocation and i don't want to move, i feel like it's worth keeping my name in their system if they don't suck

doctor 666 or w/e in cobol literally can't stop extolling their virtues

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Blinkz0rz posted:

is facebook bad to work for? a recruiter reached out and while i'll probably decline because it's a relocation and i don't want to move, i feel like it's worth keeping my name in their system if they don't suck

facebook is google-tier (good)

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

id rate them better than google at this point tbh

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

i thought google was disappearing up its own butthole and interviewing for them is basically the worst of every bad interview stereotype ever

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

my experience there was pretty typical although it was with an alphabet company instead of mothership google

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

i thought google was disappearing up its own butthole and interviewing for them is basically the worst of every bad interview stereotype ever

you might be thinking of amazon???

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
I know a few googlers who came from Facebook and they think Google is less culty so there's that.

Pay and working conditions are comparable.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

HoboMan posted:

you might be thinking of amazon???

maybe? i thought amazon's working conditions were the worst of the three

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Luigi Thirty posted:

maybe? i thought amazon's working conditions were the worst of the three

they are. Amazon is a bad place to work and anyone I know that tried it has quit in disgust.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

for people who have relocated for a job, how did you go about looking for jobs in a new city without much of a network there? for some reason recruiters aren't banging down my door begging me to relocate like some people in this thread, so i might have to find a job myself <:mad:>

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qirex posted:

I have a friend who works at VMware and likes it but I don't know how much Dell culture has seeped in

vmware was hosed to poo poo long before dell or emc started touching the poop

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The Leck posted:

for people who have relocated for a job, how did you go about looking for jobs in a new city without much of a network there? for some reason recruiters aren't banging down my door begging me to relocate like some people in this thread, so i might have to find a job myself <:mad:>

it's really hard

why are you moving? maybe you can use that to frame a narrative that makes it worth paying for plane tickets to interview you

e.g. i have a personal connection to $AREA and i intend to have a job there this year no matter what, and $EMPLOYER is a very compelling opportunity!

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

The Leck posted:

i just applied for things until someone said sure okay. but that's total crapshoot territory and getting relo expenses paid isn't going to be a guarantee.

so yeah, it's hard.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Anyone know how Apple compares to the other big guys?

It's pretty bad but probably marginally better than Amazon, on average

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Maximo Roboto posted:

Apple is better than Nokia

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Maximo Roboto posted:

if you aren't a true believer then you'd better be world class in your field otherwise lol don't even bother applying

i'd guess apple would be by far the most selective of the major technology companies though.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Sapozhnik posted:

if you aren't a true believer then you'd better be world class in your field otherwise lol don't even bother applying

don't confuse apple employees with apple customers. apple is not a religion, it's a corporation.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Management posted:

don't confuse apple employees with apple customers. apple is not a religion, it's a corporation.

at a google interview I pulled out my iPhone to show a picture of a project. i made a joke about it and the interviewer shrugged and held his iPhone up.

i don't think that would work at Apple with android phones!

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
my friend works for apple and yeah they do expect you to use their products. but he likes working there and says the corporate environment is mostly really good

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

The Leck posted:

I applied in other states until one in Michigan was like "oh hey, you are who we are looking for." I did that twice, one for San Diego and one for Michigan. I got 12k in relocation expenses for both. Glad I took the west Michigan job though. San Diego only wanted to pay me 100 a year and gently caress that.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

The Leck posted:

Use Indeed. Add a title line to your resume and change it to the title of each job you apply to. Keep a contact log.

When you do get a contact, respond to it promptly and eagerly.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
have you tried having marketable skills?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

at a google interview I pulled out my iPhone to show a picture of a project. i made a joke about it and the interviewer shrugged and held his iPhone up.

i don't think that would work at Apple with android phones!
well yeah google knows that no android is as good as an iphone and apple knows that the best phone is an iphone

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
apple does not care if you use google search but might if you use an android

google does not care if you use iphones but will care if you use bing unironically, as any company should

Also i had a zune and dumbphone at apple during the iphone4 era and it was fine.
It was mostly just a novelty for my coworkers.

Sergeant Rock
Apr 28, 2002

"... call the expert at kissing and stuff..."
https://twitter.com/dhh/status/834146806594433025?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

to be fair why would you ever need to know a sort that wasn't quicksort or heapsort (not that I'd be able to write either on a whiteboard at this point, but I know about them)

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
I just had to join linkedin to do a thing :eng99:

What can I do to make it and my profile less awful?

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

vodkat posted:

I just had to join linkedin to do a thing :eng99:

What can I do to make it and my profile less awful?

Just fill it out like you would any resume? Thats all it is

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Maximo Roboto posted:

you have to run marathons, a business insider article told me so

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

ADINSX posted:

to be fair why would you ever need to know a sort that wasn't quicksort or heapsort (not that I'd be able to write either on a whiteboard at this point, but I know about them)

if you don't know why sometimes mergesort is better then sorry no hire

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

writing a real sorting algorithm on a whiteboard is stupid and pointless. you could just as easily state what the algorithm is to prove that you know it. the rest is just error-prone and doesn't prove anything.

however, writing bubble sort is trivial and anyone should be able to do it easily.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i dont remember how bubblesort even works

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Bloody posted:

Swapping neighbors by order until things are sorted

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Bloody posted:

by bubbling

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
lol if you don't just sit down w/ the candidate and ask them to talk about their previous work because you're not confident enough to spot a bullshitter from a mile off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I've had more than one interviewer say they cannot spot bullshitting and hence they have the tests.

• Locked thread