Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009
I really do not get all the hate on Bulldozer. I've been running an 8320 @4.5 Ghz for two years now, and I've only ever run into a CPU bottleneck that rendered a game marginally unpleasant literally once, in GTA V. Even on my relatively weak GPU, an R9 270X 4GB, I'm getting minimums of 65-90 FPS on every other game I play, barring the super-demanding ones like Cities: Skylines. When I OC to 5Ghz it also renders my videos at roughly the same speed as an i7 6700. I've just never run into any of the common complaints people have on Bulldozer :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

BurritoJustice posted:

That might well be true, but I am completely puzzled why it's sitting just above the 8350 results. It is worse in single threaded, multithreaded, and memory performance so I can't imagine how it would be equivalent.

And it is correct that many other games the detriment is smaller. I am biased by the fact that I play a lot of games that are memory and single threaded performance bound like bethesda games and the witcher so it is something that I weigh heavily, so I do agree that my statement earlier was a bit too broad.

It's because the memory controller is all hosed up and Fallout 4 and Novigrad are exquisitely, singularly memory bound.

100% agreeing that it is a poo poo upgrade for practical gaming (i.e. "the poo poo that's bottlenecking me right now"). Or at least, it certainly will be until the next tranche of reviews come out in a week or two as the next BIOSs get released, then who knows. This release is a shitshow, I am pissed that AMD rushed this so bad that there is only one (lovely, half-baked) chipset and no mITX boards.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

CFox posted:

For me cases like that are absolutely what I want to see. Fallout 4 runs fine on my old 2500k except in downtown Boston. If I was wanting an upgrade it'd be to make the worst performing part of the game do better than to increase my already high fps in other areas.

Bethesda games in massive towns is basically the only situation where my aging 3570K/1600MHz RAM setup gives me unacceptable performance. It becomes a stuttery mess that takes you out of the game and I'd almost upgrade just to fix that, hence the aforementioned bias.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Phoronix posted:

The Ryzen 7 1800X was the fastest configuration tested when it came to building the Linux kernel from source.

Holy poo poo. 80 seconds to compile Linux? I remember that being a 60 minute job back in the day and there's probably 10x as much code now.

And it even beats my i3-6100 in gaming! :eng99:

vv Well obviously vv

Anarchist Mae fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 2, 2017

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Measly Twerp posted:

Holy poo poo. 80 seconds to compile Linux? I remember that being a 60 minute job back in the day

The amount of stuff compiled can vary wildly depending on configuration.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

Paul MaudDib posted:

well for me the k6-2 400, the thunderbird 700, the athlon XP 1800+, the athlon 64 3200+, the athlon 64 X2 3800+, and the phenom II x4 were all good touch, but the bulldozer was bad-touch, officer

I mean, 5 years of bad-touch is really all it takes, though
The point of my comment was to get you to realize this forum isn't your personal psychiatrist's couch. Instead you plopped down and started into how you never really got on with your father.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

RyuHimora posted:

I really do not get all the hate on Bulldozer. I've been running an 8320 @4.5 Ghz for two years now, and I've only ever run into a CPU bottleneck that rendered a game marginally unpleasant literally once, in GTA V. Even on my relatively weak GPU, an R9 270X 4GB, I'm getting minimums of 65-90 FPS on every other game I play, barring the super-demanding ones like Cities: Skylines. When I OC to 5Ghz it also renders my videos at roughly the same speed as an i7 6700. I've just never run into any of the common complaints people have on Bulldozer :shrug:

you're not noticing it but you have tons of bottlenecking going on in terms of low-end FPS (not average, not minimum). your processor is rekt by a 2C2T Haswell that is like 3 generations old now. Even in a game that is thread-friendly like Crysis 3. Bulldozer's IPC is trash and that wrecks everything it does.

Again, like I posted before - Bulldozer's IPC is worse than Phenom, which is literally 10 years old.

Yes, it's true, AMD was literally peddling 10-year-old bullshit up until today. :sad: but true.

Here's what your processor looks like in terms of average framerates:

And here's what it looks like in terms of frame times, at the struggle-bus end of things:

http://techreport.com/review/26735/overclocking-intel-pentium-g3258-anniversary-edition-processor/3

In other words - your FX processor is struggle-bussing 3x as much as a 2C2T Intel processor and 20x as much as a 4C8T Intel processor. It gets some better with OC, but not enough to make up for its poo poo IPC. And again, Crysis is pretty much a best-case for FX.

Bulldozer was (and always has been) stupid garbage for idiots. Sorry bud.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 2, 2017

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~

Paul MaudDib posted:

It's because the memory controller is all hosed up and Fallout 4 and Novigrad are exquisitely, singularly memory bound.

100% agreeing that it is a poo poo upgrade for practical gaming (i.e. "the poo poo that's bottlenecking me right now"). Or at least, it certainly will be until the next tranche of reviews come out in a week or two as the next BIOSs get released, then who knows. This release is a shitshow, I am pissed that AMD rushed this so bad that there is only one (lovely, half-baked) chipset and no mITX boards.

Maybe you should take a breather.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

RyuHimora posted:

The 8320 is a 3.5Ghz CPU. You're saying that it took a 1Ghz overclock to make only MOST game playable and if you push it as hard as possible it almost matches an Intel CPU at stock speed. To any reasonably person this is just an awful experience.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bareback Werewolf posted:

Maybe you should take a breather.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
AMD blames 1080p performance issues on obama errr intel

"CPU benchmarking deficits to the competition in certain games at 1080p resolution can be attributed to the development and optimization of the game uniquely to Intel platforms – until now. Even without optimizations in place, Ryzen delivers high, smooth frame rates on all “CPU-bound” games, as well as overall smooth frame rates and great experiences in GPU-bound gaming and VR. With developers taking advantage of Ryzen architecture and the extra cores and threads, we expect benchmarks to only get better, and enable Ryzen excel at next generation gaming experiences as well."

https://www.pcper.com/news/Processors/AMD-responds-1080p-gaming-tests-Ryzen

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
All these Ryzen benchmarks are making me feel pretty okay about my i7 4790k.

Also, I want to see what happens to Ryzens temps/powerlust when you turn off SMT.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Pretty much what I expected. AMD is back. :dance:

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007
Creativity flows in the bored and the angry!
1800X looks like a dud. What about the 1700? Having trouble finding benchmarks for it.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I was hoping for at least consistent Broadwell-level performance across the board. I have a i7-4770K now and so any switch to Ryzen would have been solely for a slight-if-any boost but instead to throw a few dollars AMD's way. Guess that won't be happening.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

White Rock posted:

1800X looks like a dud. What about the 1700? Having trouble finding benchmarks for it.

1700 or 1700X? In either case, I'm hoping that the extra threads will be useful for multiboxing spreadsheets in space.

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009

Alereon posted:

To any reasonably person this is just an awful experience.
I also paid 1/2 as much for my CPU and 2/3 as much for my motherboard. As someone who could not afford that extra $250 when building this system (nor since), I have nothing but good things to say about my 8320. I am obviously an outlier here, but from my perspective the hate against Bulldozer is completely overblown. I admit that I am not getting a top shelf experience, but I didn't pay for that. Even overclocking was very turn-key, making all but one game playable and an acceptable compromise for the ones that aren't perfect. You're making it out as though I am suffering every day with this setup, and that isn't remotely the case.

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007
Creativity flows in the bored and the angry!

kirtar posted:

1700 or 1700X? In either case, I'm hoping that the extra threads will be useful for multiboxing spreadsheets in space.

1700 sans X. I found a single video with had VERY favorable benchmarks compared to the 7700k. Still not beating it, but it paints a really good picture for the lower core ones coming later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5RP1CPpFVE

Also i have no idea if your serious but this one has an actual excel benchmark in which Ryzen smashes the competition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW1pzcdZxKc

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

RyuHimora posted:

from my perspective the hate against Bulldozer is completely overblown

no, it's literally that you have no good perspective for comparison

Again, a 2C2T Intel processor smokes your build at 1/3 the price, sorry but it's true, I posted the measurements earlier

yeah, 2C4T is better and 4C4T is better still - but IPC rules everything around me, clockrates and lots of cores only matter if you have decent IPC, nobody games on a Pentium 4 even though it hits crazy clocks that Bulldozer can only dream of.

You wasted $150 instead of spending $50 more and getting a 4690K or similar, or spending $100 less and getting a G3258. False economy is a thing - i.e. you cheaped out too hard. Sorry for your loss.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 2, 2017

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

quote:

http://www.legitreviews.com/amd-ryzen-7-1800x-1700x-and-1700-processor-review_191753
You hit the nail on the head on all your comments. I really wish the Windows drivers were ready before we were given the parts to review. Instead we got a statement 24 hours before launch from AMD saying that they'll be coming in 30 days if all goes well. Game optimizations will be hit or miss when they come, but they appear to be coming. That takes time though and we'll see what happens.

:lol:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

RyuHimora posted:

I also paid 1/2 as much for my CPU and 2/3 as much for my motherboard. As someone who could not afford that extra $250 when building this system (nor since), I have nothing but good things to say about my 8320. I am obviously an outlier here, but from my perspective the hate against Bulldozer is completely overblown. I admit that I am not getting a top shelf experience, but I didn't pay for that. Even overclocking was very turn-key, making all but one game playable and an acceptable compromise for the ones that aren't perfect. You're making it out as though I am suffering every day with this setup, and that isn't remotely the case.

Counterpoint: I bought a 2500K for $200 5 or 6 years ago. Looks like a year later, the 8320 launched around $160, so you sure saved that $40 over 6 years in exchange for a considerably slower CPU experience.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I was looking for an excuse to get rid of this 2500k but I'm still not feeling it :sigh:

Maybe the entry level Skylake-X will do it...

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

repiv posted:

I was looking for an excuse to get rid of this 2500k but I'm still not feeling it :sigh:

Maybe the entry level Skylake-X will do it...

Enough of my friends are hopping on the Ryzen train that I'm gonna upgrade from my 2500K / P67 to a 4790K on the cheap. Woo!

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Its..its like AMD did a tick-tock-tock in a single pass compared to their old lovely architecture, and the new platform has baby problems.

Who would have thought of that?

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
It's honestly what I expected, but not what I hoped for. It's a chip that's great for creators or anyone who uses their computer for more than one thing, but on the other hand it's not a great CPU for the Facebook-and-L33T-G4MEZZZZZZZZZZZ market lumpenproletariat.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

White Rock posted:

1700 sans X. I found a single video with had VERY favorable benchmarks compared to the 7700k. Still not beating it, but it paints a really good picture for the lower core ones coming later.

Also i have no idea if your serious but this one has an actual excel benchmark in which Ryzen smashes the competition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW1pzcdZxKc

Spreadsheets in space = EVE Online.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Sinestro posted:

It's honestly what I expected, but not what I hoped for. It's a chip that's great for creators or anyone who uses their computer for more than one thing, but on the other hand it's not a great CPU for the Facebook-and-L33T-G4MEZZZZZZZZZZZ market lumpenproletariat.

Which is a shame btw because AMD marketed this partly as a gaming disruptor, instead of perf/$ multithread champion against HEDT.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
the reviews posted seem generally positive, but the this thread's reaction is lukewarm at absolute best but mostly "ehhhh", and the comments section of review websites have mental olympics performances by AMD fans. So my question is:

Are any of these 3 processors an instant pick when it comes to building a price:performance oriented gaming machine?

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

buglord posted:

Are any of these 3 processors an instant pick when it comes to building a price:performance oriented gaming machine?

No. There is no reason at this point in time to choose a low frequency 8c/16t processor for gaming.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Maxwell Adams posted:

All these Ryzen benchmarks are making me feel pretty okay about my i7 4790k.

Pmuch this.

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

You wasted $150 instead of spending $50 more and getting a 4690K or similar, or spending $100 less and getting a G3258. Sorry for your loss.
Funny you should say that. The G3258 sitting next to me in my console emulation rig does offer a comparable and indeed, slightly better gaming experience, and absolutely barfs when I am doing any of my other workloads on it. I used it for a week when I was at a friend's house and I was unable to do any of my regular software development or research projects in a reasonable amount of time. Turns out a 2C 2T cpu is horrible at heavy multitasking, which was the primary reason I wanted an 8 core CPU.

Twerk from Home posted:

Counterpoint: I bought a 2500K for $200 5 or 6 years ago. Looks like a year later, the 8320 launched around $160, so you sure saved that $40 over 6 years in exchange for a considerably slower CPU experience.
Except I already stated I bought my setup 2 years ago, and you're leaving out that the used motherboard I would have needed for a 2500K would have been expensive at best an unreliable at worst.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

buglord posted:

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

buglord posted:

the reviews posted seem generally positive, but the this thread's reaction is lukewarm at absolute best but mostly "ehhhh", and the comments section of review websites have mental olympics performances by AMD fans. So my question is:

Absolutely not on the 1800X and 1700X since those would have to outperform the 7700K in gaming to be better price/performance. Most of the reviews have rightfully concluded that Ryzen 7 is not a good value for gaming alone, and I highly doubt that updated drivers/BIOS will change that.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

White Rock posted:

Hmm...

Uhhh...

Why are his results so different?

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Measly Twerp posted:

Hmm...

Uhhh...

Why are his results so different?

This one is an outlier.

Here is the reviewer.

quote:

I really can't tell you that for any degree of certainty. I do run the majority of my benchmarks in game rather than using any built in benchmarks like GTA 5. The only exception is Rainbow Six Siege which is rather difficult to recreate the same scene repeatedly. Also may come down to settings. For simplicity I just hit the ultra preset and left it at that. No other changes were made to the settings in these runs.

The assumption here by many is that there is simply a GPU bottleneck due to his settings. Also, he is running windows at performance mode.

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 2, 2017

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Dante80 posted:

This one is an outlier.

Yeah definitely. I'm trying to figure out if there's was something weird on the test setup that would cause this, but I'm drawing a blank. Both were using 16 GB DDR-4@3000MHz (no specification on latency) and a GTX 1080. Presumably at that resolution it shouldn't be GPU bottlenecked, but honestly the results make me think that they somehow made it so.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I realize how narrowly focused this use case is, but from what I can tell? This is going to go great into the two-headed machine for siblings to use simultaneously without killing eachother over "my turn" like some kind of savages. :shobon:

I'll be ordering one for my stepbrothers, I think.

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ryzen looks good for hobby level 3D rendering :getin:

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Also, be sure to check out this guy. He is top notch.

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/ryzen-strictly-technical.2500572/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Themage posted:

Ryzen looks good for hobby level 3D rendering :getin:

Isn't small-medium scale 3D rendering dominated by GPU renderers like Octane and Cycles now?

• Locked thread