Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Dehtraen posted:

I had a feeling we would see serum visions. Maybe bolt and something like vines for completions sake?

Might of old krosa kind of fits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Given the hype for this set, would this be a good time to buy into Modern? I've been wanting to put together a deck or two for a while now but was waiting for prices to drop a bit.

Hell, seeing the responses to the previews ITT I'm tempted to buy a box or two just to draft with and fill out my collection with staples.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

This was either already deleted or was broken to begin with.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

C-Euro posted:

This was either already deleted or was broken to begin with.

It was just deleted for some reason.

http://mythicspoiler.com/mm3/cards/serumvisions.jpg

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Allstone posted:

Might of old krosa kind of fits

Ah yes! It does, I had forgot about it already... too much value.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Here's the link that was there:
http://www.gatheringmagic.com/snacktimewithmikeandant-03020217-snack-time-50-modern-masters-2017-preview/

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Given the hype for this set, would this be a good time to buy into Modern? I've been wanting to put together a deck or two for a while now but was waiting for prices to drop a bit.

Hell, seeing the responses to the previews ITT I'm tempted to buy a box or two just to draft with and fill out my collection with staples.

Buy boxes to draft or wait a month after release to buy singles at their lowest.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

LOL at the flavor text on Serum Visions. I like the idea of Jin-Gitaxias getting high as gently caress off of inkmoth extract.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Buy singles as the prices on these cards start tanking from all the boxed product being opened. Also, be weary of modern played cards that aren't in the set, they'll likely start climbing in value soonish as people will be doing the same thing as you.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
People are literally going to buy these for over $300 a box.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Dehtraen posted:

Buy singles as the prices on these cards start tanking from all the boxed product being opened. Also, be weary of modern played cards that aren't in the set, they'll likely start climbing in value soonish as people will be doing the same thing as you.

Dehtraen posted:

This.

Solid advice would be to have a good idea what you want to play and buy the cards that aren't going to be in this set before they climb. Everything in this set is going to drop in value. There is just too much value density. Nothing is so powerful or rare to suck up the majority of the value so they all drop fairly equally out of the staples.

Who would have thought that WOTC and Marvel get their poo poo together and put out great products in 2017?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I'm just gonna skip this and wait for Frontier Masters.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

http://mythicspoiler.com/mm3/cards/nivmizzetdracogenius.jpg

What is this garbage? (Is this an edh card?)

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Karn could have used another reprint. It's still $60.00

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

odiv posted:

https://twitter.com/MishrasFotoshop/status/836984354752581633

https://twitter.com/HeleneBergeot/status/836993070151303168

There is this series of tweets which seems to imply that they wouldn't just want X guaranteed sales of the product because

I'm pretty sure that being played at tournaments is, in fact, among the purposes of Magic cards. It's interesting that Helene Bergeot disagrees with me.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Good luck getting to draft this...

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Izzet charm and guild signets are in as well.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I can't even imagine drafting this right now because I feel like I'd have to have a list of money cards on my arm. I can't remember what everything costs, dammit!

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

odiv posted:

I can't even imagine drafting this right now because I feel like I'd have to have a list of money cards on my arm. I can't remember what everything costs, dammit!

People who draft and have to look up the price of every rare they get are the loving worst.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

odiv posted:

Just keep a list of the ones that aren't.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

80s James Hetfield posted:

People who draft and have to look up the price of every rare they get are the loving worst.

Just take everything rare you see, there's enough mana fixing to play whatever!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

JerryLee posted:

I'm pretty sure that being played at tournaments is, in fact, among the purposes of Magic cards. It's interesting that Helene Bergeot disagrees with me.

But tournament players only make 5? 10? Percent of the playerbase. Why would WOTC care? It's not like they make tournament-catered products or panicked when nobody was attending standard events. 🤔

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Signets in at uncommon, not sure if that was mentioned.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Modern masters is, in theory, about making the cards more accessible. A GP eats up a bunch of packs in a high volume, messy event that only incredibly entrenched players will go to. If they're putting a cap on how much they'll print, I can definitely get why they would skip it this time around.

I feel like it would still be a good idea to do a small invitational event or something though....

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Death Bot posted:

A GP eats up a bunch of packs in a high volume, messy event that only incredibly entrenched players will go to.

Then quadruple (or more) the print run, especially for something of this magnitude which your entire player base is willing to spend a little more than normal on.

It's a lazy excuse by WoTC

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Then quadruple (or more) the print run, especially for something of this magnitude which your entire player base is willing to spend a little more than normal on.

Oh I'm not saying it's good logic, I can just see why they would think so lmao

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Death Bot posted:

Modern masters is, in theory, about making the cards more accessible. A GP eats up a bunch of packs in a high volume, messy event that only incredibly entrenched players will go to. If they're putting a cap on how much they'll print, I can definitely get why they would skip it this time around.

I feel like it would still be a good idea to do a small invitational event or something though....

A 32 player Hall of Fame only invitational draft playoff tournament would mak an amazing event for them to stream and advertise on Twitch.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
How many players could they get for a MM17 GP? 5000?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

There's a certain print run that makes sense. It's not whatever the market will buy, because then you're killing your ability to do them in the future.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
I'm really starting to wish I had grabbed more than one box on that massdrop that got posted....

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

mcmagic posted:

How many players could they get for a MM17 GP? 5000?

Almost 8000 players entered GP Vegas '15. The attendance was so big, they split the players in half and played two full GP tournaments side by side. So just for the Day 1 sealed pools, that would be 48k packs, or 2000 boxes. Just under 800 players made day 2, and I'm not sure how many draft rounds there are, but that's 100 boxes for just the first round of draft pods, so I'd guess no more than 300 boxes were used there.

it's anyone's guess how many boxes were opened in side events or cashed out on the prize wall, but let's be crazy and assume it was equal to the main event itself. That's ~5000 boxes for the weekend.

So yeah that looks like a pretty good chunk of product, but is it? How many WPN stores are there? I don't know the total number, but a quick search on wizards.com shows 10 within 10 miles of my house. I don't think it's a huge stretch to assume that each WPN store lost out on a total of 1 or 2 potential MM15 box orders at the most because of GP Vegas.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

evilweasel posted:

There's a certain print run that makes sense. It's not whatever the market will buy, because then you're killing your ability to do them in the future.

I doubt WOTC or anyone could actually know what that number is, they should be printing them at a reasonable price point for as long as they'll sell. There are so many factors you aren't considering if your goal is just to maintain some arbitrary card value, like brand loyalty or even demand for the game in general. What do you think happens when a new player wants to get into modern and finds all the packs are sold out? Magic isn't the only, or even the biggest, game in town, they'll switch to something else, and WOTC loses a current sale and a future sale.

They're continued concern for the value of the secondary market is one of their biggest mistakes, I think they should be trying more aggressively to keep the price of some of their higher costing cards down.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Seems sweet in limited

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

There was a terrible Niv Magus in MM15 too. It was like a 4th or 5th pick.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
The manafixing in this is going to make it a nightmare to draft archetypes.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

En Fuego posted:

The manafixing in this is going to make it a nightmare to draft archetypes.

This set feels like Wizards decided what it wanted to reprint and then built archetypes around those reprints, rather than the way "how do we make this set draftable?" was a heavy focus of previous Masters sets. It almost seems like a paper Modern cube, albeit with a chance at drafting duplicates.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Marketing New Brain posted:

I doubt WOTC or anyone could actually know what that number is, they should be printing them at a reasonable price point for as long as they'll sell. There are so many factors you aren't considering if your goal is just to maintain some arbitrary card value, like brand loyalty or even demand for the game in general. What do you think happens when a new player wants to get into modern and finds all the packs are sold out? Magic isn't the only, or even the biggest, game in town, they'll switch to something else, and WOTC loses a current sale and a future sale.

They're continued concern for the value of the secondary market is one of their biggest mistakes, I think they should be trying more aggressively to keep the price of some of their higher costing cards down.

The argument we can't know for sure so we shouldn't try is stupid. It's also stupid to assume the goal is to maintain some arbitrary card value. I mean, that's just obviously dumb. The goal is to maximize WOTC's revenue, both now and in the future. That's it. At the end of the day they are selling cardboard at a stunningly hilarious markup. A lot goes into keeping people overpaying for cardboard. Most important for the current thing: "buy now, because you might not be able to buy in the future!" WOTC doesn't just want to sell out of MM17. They want you kicking yourself you didn't buy more and getting ready to buy more next time.

After all, the entire reason that everyone is silivating over the chance to hand over $170 for a box of cardboard - priced at more than double their standard hilariously priced cardboard - is that secondary market. The secondary market is a tool towards WOTC making money and preserving it lets WOTC continue printing money based on it. The most sensible way I can think of to do it is print to match the growth in demand - to preserve the price at a certain point, but prevent it from going higher by selling it every so often. So 3 years ago, there was demand for 100k [expensivish card] at $50, and there's now demand for 150k of that card at $50 but there's still only 100k so the price has risen. So what WOTC wants to do is print 50k more, drop the price down to $50 and (effectively) collect most of that $50 through the markup on MM sets.

More generally, old cards having more value also helps sell standard sets, which aren't limited in their print run but are limited in time. Better buy more [x] pack now so you can get them cheap before it goes out of print! Hell, better buy the singles from that set (driving more pack opening) while they're cheap! All of this is geared towards getting you to buy now rather than later, when you've come to your loving senses about spending that amount of money on cardboard. There is also the value of making parts of the game aspirational. I may play standard now, but modern looks so fun (because I can't afford it), I sure wish I could play modern! Well now WOTC is doing a limited time only sale where you can get into modern, better grab it now! Buy! Buy! If you don't, you'll be stuck on the outside wishing you had the money to be like the cool kids who have blood moons!

All in all this is a lot more complex a business than you think it is.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

So was ordering $180 worth of stuff that isn't being reprinted that I need for Modern Abzan exhibiting more or less willpower than purchasing a 3rd MM17 box....?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

More, congratulations!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

evilweasel posted:

All in all this is a lot more complex a business than you think it is.

Also I'm willing to bet the company that does market research year-round and has sales figures from past sets has a better handle on how much to print than "random internet poster who desperately wants prices to come down on specific cards"

Like I'm all for cheaper cards but acting like WotC has no idea what they're doing is baffling to me*

*except for those twitter posts. Bergeot should have said nothing

• Locked thread