Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

VagueRant posted:

I saw him get shot? (Though I thought back, not front.) I'm assuming that was just the same random minigun fire that shredded the not-satellite things just punching through their ship, rather than, like, a strike team on board or anything.

That one made more sense than the random gouts of sparks that threw crew members off their seats like something out of '60s Star Trek...
https://giant.gfycat.com/PotablePartialAmazonparrot.mp4

This is the complete sequence. I didn’t speed it up a single percent or cut a single frame.

https://giant.gfycat.com/HonoredSparklingAlleycat.mp4

:stonk: :pervert:

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The shaking ship and people getting thrown from their seats as their computers sparked was really bad. If people getting thrown from their seats is a problem they should be strapped the gently caress in.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

That sequence wasn't great and I still don't like that they don't have a good solution to show high G's -- shouldn't Epstein have had a wind-tunnel like effect with all his skin getting pushed back and stuff? But I can see how that'd be a drat hard question to answer on a TV budget.

Still tho I dunno how you can watch the martian captain slump over dead eyed into a table covered in blood splatter and not realize he just got whacked.

Book 2 spoilers: I assume they're going to go into more detail on Bobbie's fight, but the audience gets to be as surprised as everyone else when they get the footage and it turns out she's telling the truth. I kind of like that conceit. Also having grainy gun-cam footage of everyone dying saves on SFX budget.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

NmareBfly posted:

I still don't like that they don't have a good solution to show high G's -- shouldn't Epstein have had a wind-tunnel like effect with all his skin getting pushed back and stuff? But I can see how that'd be a drat hard question to answer on a TV budget.

They could maybe use a research/training centrifuge for close‐ups, but people mostly just look like they’re exerting themselves and in pain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMVNWZ4FzwM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYP5hb789gM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpOvjGI3BM8

Here is a wind tunnel shot, for comparison:

https://i.imgur.com/EowtHYd.gifv

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
How long would it take to accelerate to 50% of the speed of light at 4G?

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Yeah, can't actually do an actual wind tunnel because you don't need the skin flapping aspect but there's definitely strain on facial features at high G that the show doesn't have a solution for. :shrug:

Not a big deal either way, just be neat to see.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

How long would it take to accelerate to 50% of the speed of light at 4G?

The Lorentz factor at 0.5 c is a mere 1.155, so you can use normal math and get a close enough answer.

299792458 ÷ (9.806 × 4) seconds = about three months

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 2, 2017

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
There was a really brief shot of his hand and it looked like blood was pooling on one side of his pinkie for a minute, but it was really quick and he might have just been bleeding or something. But I think showing blood pooling would be a good, and also really terrible, way to show long exposure to a constant 4G.

I heard the mormons were suing, but has the show said anything about what happened to the Navoo? If the largest construction project the human race has ever built was a total loss that would be loving depressing.

E: And yeah, the Star Trek bridge thing was really terrible. Maybe they were trying to show that they were caught off guard and not suited up and strapped in? I guess the ship continued to accelerate at a steady rate while in combat?

counterfeitsaint fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 2, 2017

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
That Sutton gif of his chest being shot shows some dude standing behind him and running off afterwards. In a different show I'd say that guy shot him and was then escaping.

counterfeitsaint posted:

I heard the mormons were suing, but has the show said anything about what happened to the Navoo? If the largest construction project the human race has ever built was a total loss that would be loving depressing.

It would be! The show has not said yet what happened to it. One might presume it is flying off somewhere at constant acceleration.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

counterfeitsaint posted:

There was a really brief shot of his hand and it looked like blood was pooling on one side of his pinkie for a minute, but it was really quick and he might have just been bleeding or something. But I think showing blood pooling would be a good, and also really terrible, way to show long exposure to a constant 4G.

IIIRC the later shots had his fingers and hands starting to discolor and bruise in addition to a bit of blood on his fingers. Again, though, the show has his ship continuing to increase thrust to over 10g (at which point the readout decided out of value range) instead of the 4g of the short story.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I don't quite understand a few things about the shipyard.

Fred Johnson acts like he personally owns the entire shipyard and Tyco corporation, like its his sole-ownership company. He's just some ex-military guy and I imagined he was just the top manager of the shipyard, an employee not a hyper-wealthy capitalist. How was he not instantly fired/arrested ? Has the whole station rebelled from its parent company? Who's his boss? If he's just torn up and stolen the biggest contract they ever got how is he staying in business? How haven't all his investors pulled out? There seems to be very little fallout from his actions other than some throw-away line about a lawsuit.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

So, how is it that anyone knows anything specific about what happened to Epstein? It seems like he died of a stroke and his ship went off in some random direction. I guess he kept really comprehensive notes about what he was working on.

I assumed the V.O. was from some speech he delivered or book he wrote, but clearly that is not the case since his corpse is traveling 0.05c somewhere beyond the Oort cloud.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://fat.gfycat.com/LastDeadAmethystinepython.mp4
https://fat.gfycat.com/TepidWildIberianemeraldlizard.mp4

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Baronjutter posted:

Fred Johnson acts like he personally owns the entire shipyard and Tyco corporation, like its his sole-ownership company. He's just some ex-military guy and I imagined he was just the top manager of the shipyard, an employee not a hyper-wealthy capitalist. How was he not instantly fired/arrested ? Has the whole station rebelled from its parent company? Who's his boss? If he's just torn up and stolen the biggest contract they ever got how is he staying in business? How haven't all his investors pulled out? There seems to be very little fallout from his actions other than some throw-away line about a lawsuit.

The Tycho Manufacturing and Engineering Concern is technically an Earth corporation, but it's sympathetic to the Belt, and they know Johnson is a leader in the OPA. They've been quietly backing him for some time.

Xealot posted:

So, how is it that anyone knows anything specific about what happened to Epstein? It seems like he died of a stroke and his ship went off in some random direction. I guess he kept really comprehensive notes about what he was working on.

I assumed the V.O. was from some speech he delivered or book he wrote, but clearly that is not the case since his corpse is traveling 0.05c somewhere beyond the Oort cloud.

He says in the episode (and in the novella, I'm pretty sure) that he left schematics for the new drive on his home computer. Having him narrate his bits is weird in a show that doesn't otherwise do that, though.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Yeah, but he couldn't speak. So, he essentially butt-answered his phone before the call dropped. [re: him answering his wife's call.]

What I mean is, "his ship worked for a bit and then exploded" is just as rational a conclusion as, "his magic engine worked perfectly...too well, because the g-load killed him." I guess there could've been some trackable nav data indicating how far he got.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Baronjutter posted:

Most of Tycho’s assets are at the station itself. Tycho is the East India Company and Johnson is the Governor‐General of India.

Belters and Earthers probably actively appreciate what he did with the Nauvoo, but even if they don’t, there are only so many shipyards in the outer planets and Tycho is the best. Fred Johnson isn’t going to commandeer your frigate.

Tycho is possibly the only civilian shipyard that can handle a project the size of the Nauvoo anyway.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 2, 2017

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
All yall complaining about the exploding consoles better be all over the new Star Trek's balls when that comes out

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm not really sure why they put his story in this episode.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
And with none of the emotional weight of the short story. I guess Hot New Tech Usually Results In Death is the super dope parallel we needed.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Platystemon posted:

Most of Tycho’s assets are at the station itself. Tycho is the East India Company and Johnson is the Governor‐General of India.

Belters and Earthers probably actively appreciate what he did with the Nauvoo, but even if they don’t, there are only so many shipyards in the outer planets and Tycho is the best. Fred Johnson isn’t going to commandeer your frigate.

Tycho is possibly the only civilian shipyard that can handle a project the size of the Nauvoo anyway.

That's probably the best analogy. In Johnson's first scene, the mormon dude says they don't like someone with his reputation running the project, and he explains that he has the loyalty of everyone on the station and is basically the space mob and that poo poo will not get finished without his say so, even though 'officially' he's just an employee for an earth company who could be replaced if necessary. Also in S1 there was an Earth ship that was burning towards Tycho station really fast to deal with him, and they were two weeks away, I assume the company would take weeks to get a representative out there, and even longer to get the muscle out there needed to actually relieve him of command, so he's got a little time.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

NmareBfly posted:

Still tho I dunno how you can watch the martian captain slump over dead eyed into a table covered in blood splatter and not realize he just got whacked

Ordnance that actually pierces spacecraft and hits the people inside is pretty refreshing. Usually in sci fi tv or movies it just affects the outside of the ship. Maybe some people might get ventilated into space and thats about it.

I was legit shocked when a round took that guys head off in season 1.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Baronjutter posted:

I don't think the book handles this very well, either. What I guess you can imply, but that is never stated outright, is that Fred Johnson's OPA connections in practice trump a lot of the legal authority that the Tycho management could exercise to fire him. Someone mentioned the scene where he threatened the Mormon rep with sabotage and delay if they got him removed.

What can Fred Johnson threaten Tycho corp with? Not just the same, but the likelihood that some much worse faction of the OPA will become dominant on Tycho if he's gone. Fred uses moral authority, economic power, and politics to try to enhance the lives of Belters and win intramural OPA scrimmages to avoid everything turning into an outright insurgency that makes life impossible. Tycho station without Fred Johnson doesn't suddenly love Earth and Mars and love sending profits back to the inner planets, Tycho station without Fred Johnson is the industrial and economic jewel of the belt inhabited and run by the smartest Belt technicians and now with a leadership vacuum.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
What missile net things are you guys taking about? Either I totally blanked or the Amazon episode cut something again.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Platystemon posted:

They could maybe use a research/training centrifuge for close‐ups, but people mostly just look like they’re exerting themselves and in pain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMVNWZ4FzwM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYP5hb789gM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpOvjGI3BM8

Here is a wind tunnel shot, for comparison:

https://i.imgur.com/EowtHYd.gifv

There's no wind in space? Well solar wind but you get it.
https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=NV4CLk_kFL8

gohmak fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 2, 2017

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Finally finished this episode, I have thoughts on the Ganymede stuff.

I have no idea who fired first or why in space, and I don't think it was ever explained in the book, either. I do seem to recall that a ground alert preceded the space battle in the book, but I'm not sure. Sutton's death and the falling out of chairs were awful, but I don't see how you could actually miss Sutton's death. His head was layed out on the console for at least a couple of seconds.

On the ground it was pretty obvious the UN Marines were firing at the thing chasing them, for some reason comments here made me thing it was going to be more vague. It would have been really, really hard and expensive to film Marines v. the Monster. I'm not sure it could have been done well without being really cheese, so, the way they handled it with the dead and damaged (and obviously not shot) suits was a decent compromise. Hopefully they do give us some retroactive, partial view of it next episode. Note that in the books this scene involved an entire platoon of Martian Marines backed up by a heavy combat mech.

The shot of the monster overseen by the observation zone shooting it with a signal laser while shards of broken mirrors expanded in the sky was very well done.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Kingtheninja posted:

What missile net things are you guys taking about? Either I totally blanked or the Amazon episode cut something again.

After Holden and Alex talk about 30 of the UN interplanetary nukes going away the next scene is of the missiles decelerating and cutting their drives out right before they hit a big space net being pulled by four drones at each corner.

The net scene starts at 10:00 of the Amazon stream, ends at 10:10, the net itself is visible maybe 3-4 seconds.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Oh wow, thanks for the time stamp. Yeah totally missed it somehow.

Anyway, thanks for clearing up everything about the ending. With all the cuts it was incredibly confusing as to what was going on, and was not super easy to tell one of the targets running wasn't a marine. So are we supposed to know who mars was shooting at in orbit? Was it mars vs earth in the sky, and random proto monster on the ground killing both sides?

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

It was supposed to be a confusing clusterfuck for the people in the ground too.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Kingtheninja posted:

Oh wow, thanks for the time stamp. Yeah totally missed it somehow.

Anyway, thanks for clearing up everything about the ending. With all the cuts it was incredibly confusing as to what was going on, and was not super easy to tell one of the targets running wasn't a marine. So are we supposed to know who mars was shooting at in orbit? Was it mars vs earth in the sky, and random proto monster on the ground killing both sides?

As far as I know (from the books) it was just Mars v. Earth in the sky. In the book I guessed it was just high tensions and an itchy trigger finger after there was an alert from one of the UN compounds on Ganymede.

Re: Radio alert on Ganymede, they took that out, but I think we were supposed to think the guy waving at Bobbie from inside the dome (at 29:25 of the Amazon stream) immediately before the monster chased the UN Marines appeared was a guy screaming for help. Only detectable as such if you read the book or look at it in hindsight, though. If I came to it raw I'd definitely wonder what that guy was doing, though, and I think Bobbie's bemused expression kind of caught it before she dismissed it and moved on. The beeping of her proximity alarm also happened immediately after.

The sequence in the book is something like: (spoiled because some of this might get revealed via video next episode)

1. Bobbie's patrol gets an order to double time back to their platoon, weird poo poo is going on at the UN compound across the way, get ready to shoot someone.
2.a. At some point space forces start shooting each other.
2.b. At some point UN Marines start aggressively charging the superior Martian forces. They do not respond to radio requests. Bobbie wonders why 7 guys are charging a platoon when they have their own equally sized platoon at the UN compound they are leaving.
3. Space battle is going on (I think) and as the UN Marines get closer all radio comms are jammed among the Martians, so they can't find out what is going on or communicate internally.
4. Bobbie notices it's actually 6 Marines being chased by one other thing. It is much faster than 6 guys in power armor.
5. Just in time Bobbie (or someone) shoots the chasing monster before anyone can shoot the UN Marines. It has no effect and the monster kills the UN Marines by hand then charges the Martians as they open up on it.
6. None of their fire has any effect, it kills everyone (including a guy in a heavy combat mech) by punching or clawing them.
7. Bobbie and a few others try to flee inside a Martian owned agricultural dome. They get shredded before they make it inside the airlock, she gets get Falcon punched clear of the door.
8. At some point Bobbie passes out and the monster explodes, I can't remember how much of that she witnesses or how close she is when it happens.
9. Martian medical team finds Bobbie, she is the only survivor at a scene featuring about 40 dead Martian marines (and one destroyed mech), 6 dead UN Marines at ranged weapon distance, and one spot where some heavy thermal ordnance apparently went off in the vicinity of Bobbie.

Number Ten Cocks fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 2, 2017

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

Number Ten Cocks posted:

That Sutton gif of his chest being shot shows some dude standing behind him and running off afterwards. In a different show I'd say that guy shot him and was then escaping.

I thought he got hit by a bolt or something off the opposite facing wall. Kind of like in submarine movies when they hit crush depth or get depth charged and rivets/bolts/screws pop-off the super structure to injure crewmen. Granted that wouldn't make a lot of sense for a space ship.

As for the dude behind him it just seemed like a "o poo poo cap's dead time to bail" kind of thing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Based on my guessing, the UN side on the ground got attacked by whatever that protomonster was. They radioed up to the sky to say something was attacking them. The UN ships didn't get the whole message and couldn't figure out what was going on. They decided to just attack the Mars ships before they had a chance to enact whatever plan they might have had.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The UN is so stupid that aliens could show up at the edge of the solar system with impossible technology and they'd shout "It's clearly a martian trick launch the nukes!!!" because the entire UN military and political brass are cartoonishly stupid, paranoid, and itching for a fight.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Cojawfee posted:

Based on my guessing, the UN side on the ground got attacked by whatever that protomonster was. They radioed up to the sky to say something was attacking them. The UN ships didn't get the whole message and couldn't figure out what was going on. They decided to just attack the Mars ships before they had a chance to enact whatever plan they might have had.

That makes sense, we did just see that most of the UN high command thinks Eros was a Martian project using some highly advanced miracle technology, if an immune to bullets man-shaped freak monster starts attacking you on a joint UN/Mars moon you're probably going to scream "the Martians are attacking with something I can't even describe, aaarrgh!"

Man-Shaped Freak Monster would be a decent band name.

Incidentally, at this point we have serious book divergence with public knowledge of the protomolecule, culpability and consequences for Protogen (but not Mao), and especially disposition of the Holden crew's protomolecule sample. Most of these changes are likely just going to be timing shifts on who knows what or gets what when, but it does effect the motivations and mental framework of decision makers on the show.

Number Ten Cocks fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 2, 2017

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

I cannot believe how much Wes Chatham is dominating the role of Amos. They were like "here, you play the one-dimensional heavy from the books" and then he just goes and becomes one of the marquee performers on the show. Part of it is the writing; too, but his delivery has been great. There are a legion of actors that would have just phoned in a strong-but-silent type performance, but he's really selling Amos as a character with emotional complexity, just wired differently than other people.

Get that dude some more work, Hollywood.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Amos and Avasarala continue to be the best.

Also, "Miller, I do this for you" :unsmith:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Baronjutter posted:

The UN is so stupid that aliens could show up at the edge of the solar system with impossible technology and they'd shout "It's clearly a martian trick launch the nukes!!!" because the entire UN military and political brass are cartoonishly stupid, paranoid, and itching for a fight.

To be fair, their enemy soldiers work themselves up with chants like "Who's going to drink [Earth's] rivers dry and crush their mountains (and rear end) to dust?" so.

I was kind of annoyed that sciency guy was able to deduce what actually happened on Eros with the tiny amount of data he has. Bio spill then the asteroid ignores all physics? It must have been an alien virus taking over the whole thing, yep. It felt like his character just read the script.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

counterfeitsaint posted:

To be fair, their enemy soldiers work themselves up with chants like "Who's going to drink [Earth's] rivers dry and crush their mountains (and rear end) to dust?" so.

I was kind of annoyed that sciency guy was able to deduce what actually happened on Eros with the tiny amount of data he has. Bio spill then the asteroid ignores all physics? It must have been an alien virus taking over the whole thing, yep. It felt like his character just read the script.

Don't they have like cameras and a feed showing that the people are turning into a huge bio-organic horror?

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Baronjutter posted:

Don't they have like cameras and a feed showing that the people are turning into a huge bio-organic horror?

In the book they do, at this point Protogen is seized and its execs (but not Mao) in prison, and it's known that Eros was an alien thingy. I can't remember if this was as a result of yet another Holden system-wide info dump, but probably.

In the show only the OPA got access to the video feeds, everyone else is just getting music off it it, I guess.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

There was also a time skip in the books between Eros hitting Venus and the Ganymede stuff, but I can't remember how long. Couple months?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Ok, show Ganymede sequence.

1. Bobby's patrol sees a person in an agricultural dome dumping up and down waving its arms. It's not on the ground level, in hindsight you can guess they climbed up the dome as far as possible and then freaked the gently caress out, screaming, jumping, and waving arms to signal All Is Not Well Here.
2. Bobbie thinks, "huh," but then her proximity alarm draws her attention to 6 UN Marines who are walking towards her position. They are off to the side of the dome and closer than the dome. They are carrying heavy weapons, not just their suit integral guns. Immediately prior to this they were told to back off the UN position. Cut to a couple of minutes of non-Ganymede scenes.
3. Return to Ganymede, Bobbie's patrol finds an unregistered recon drone. The UN Marines aren't around or being watched anymore. The drone flies off, and immediately after they get an alert from their suits. Over a crest they can see flashes from weapons fire. Then they see 6 UN marines on foot charging them. They call up "activity" and the UN Marines who appear to be charging them to their ship. Then they are jammed before they get a response.
4. After they recover from the jamming squeals you see that there are now SEVEN figures running towards them with HUD highlights. One is trailing the others and has a different silhouette.
5. Sutton, on the ship, tries to respond to the broadcast from Bobbie, can't see them or talk to them. Cut to space view, and two ships simultaneously open fire. Since the Martian ship wasn't clued in, I'm guessing this was UN ships firing in coordination based on their own garbled report when their Marines got attacked on the surface.
6. Bobbie sees the orbital fighting, tells her team to shoot if the UN Marines approach within 500m. We then see that the UN Marines are turning and firing bursts at what is chasing them. Bobbie stares and doesn't react, may not have processed yet that the UN guys are shooting away from the Martians and running like hell from the single thing chasing them.
7. Space battle continues. Mirrors for focusing sunlight on the Ganymede farms get destroyed as collateral damage. They make a breaking glass sound in space. :smith: Sutton dies, his ship is shot to poo poo.
8. Back to the surface, we see a bunch of dead Martian marines, they have scratches on their armor and their faceplates bashed out. We do not see the UN Marines or know if the Martians ever figured out what was happening and fired on them by mistake. (Check back next week!) Orbital debris is falling during this scene, which is a nice touch.
9. Bobbie comes to, face plate is cracked and the chest of her armor scarred, but she's alive. She first sees the mystery recon drone from above, then the monster comes into frame. The drone, aimed more towards the monster than Bobbie, fires three pulses of light. IMMEDIATELY after that, a light appears on the monster's chest. It gets brighter and starts to spread. Cut to Bobbie, who is increasingly illuminated by the ET heart light in the monster. She rolls away and we get an impression of an explosion with smoke or maybe plasma implied.

Number Ten Cocks fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 2, 2017

• Locked thread