Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

strangemusic posted:

Haptic vibrating sex toy metronome:

How well does it work?

Not making GBS threads on your purchase, just genuinely curious. As a former musician I can't see a vibrating watch being a good method of keeping time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

LifeSunDeath posted:

got the flat s7 and it's been a super good phone :D. I take it into the shower (in a plastic bag) to watch vids, might be water proof but I'm trying to be careful. Also it's very snappy compared to last model.

Yeah don't worry about the phone in the shower, it's fine. I've sprayed water directly into the charge port and fully submerged it. gently caress, Linus Tech Tips proved you can take the loving thing 60 meters underwater (as long as you don't press the button then).

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

strangemusic posted:

Haptic vibrating sex toy metronome:

Neat, I didn't realize such a thing existed. Is it distracting? What do you play? If guitar, which wrist do you wear it on? Link?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

this book is extremely dumb and it is so, so wonderful

Here is the recipe for the "Stone Cold's 'Stomp a Mud Hole In Your Steaks and Ribs' Simmering Sauce" in text form in case you're having Thanksgiving with Grandma this year:

Ingredients:
2 cups bottled chili sauce
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 1/2 cups beer
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup molasses
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup hickory flavored barbecue sauce (or J.R.'s BBQ sauce)
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, to taste

Instructions:
1) In a medium saucepan, bring all the ingredients except the hot pepper sauce to boil. Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer, uncovered, until slightly thickened , about 15 minutes.

2) Stir in the hot pepper sauce.

3) Brush the sauce on the meat in the last 15 minutes of grilling.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Oh I need to buy that

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

LifeSunDeath posted:

I take it into the shower (in a plastic bag) to watch vids, might be water proof but I'm trying to be careful.

It's more careful indeed. Waterproof doesn't mean semenproof

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

PCOS Bill posted:

Meh, it's going in a case, the only blue I'll regularly see is the front bezel.

On that note, I almost went with hi-viz but settled on something a little less eye wrenching.

godDAMN you got a really nice looking phone and then put the world's ugliest case on it

good job

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

mfcrocker posted:

godDAMN you got a really nice looking phone and then put the world's ugliest case on it

good job

you don't get it, it's a tactical case. It doesn't have to be pretty, it has to be manly

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

you don't get it, it's a tactical case. It doesn't have to be pretty, it has to be manly

I'm sorry PCOS Bill's manhood is so ugly.

Sorry PCOS Bill.

Actual content: I bought a white tie for a concert I'm singing in this weekend. Y'all know what a tie looks like.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

mfcrocker posted:

I'm sorry PCOS Bill's manhood is so ugly.

Sorry PCOS Bill.

Actual content: I bought a white tie for a concert I'm singing in this weekend. Y'all know what a tie looks like.

But is it shiny white or flat white? , will you look like a hit man for the mafia?

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I bought an Otter Box for my phone. I'm sorry it's ugly. :(

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I've never understood the point of a case.

They can help prevent damage from drops. Glad I could help.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

In my case, it added needed girth. I've a Moto X, and it's too thin and uncomfortable to hold.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Geoj posted:

How well does it work?

Not making GBS threads on your purchase, just genuinely curious. As a former musician I can't see a vibrating watch being a good method of keeping time.

I don't know yet. It hasn't arrived from shipping. But I am keen to try.

However in response to your and Lawen's questions: I play drums, and audible click in a monitor mix, etc. is something I would consider a necessary evil at best, but also being a studio nerd I will never be without it out of habit. Editing drums that were not tracked to tempo is a living nightmare. The internal motor is supposed to be way, way stronger than the equivalent type in a phone, etc. so I hope it will be discernible. It comes with a watch band as well as an arm/leg band so I guess you can wear it wherever makes the most sense for you.

Neat things it can do: MIDI sync to DAW tempo over Bluetooth with a plugin on the DAW side (this is loving GLORIOUS for me and a major selling point.) Bluetooth coordination so groups of them can sync together. Tap tempo, duh. And a set-list function. Also has a companion app so you can set up whatever time signature, subdivisions, accents, etc. you want.

Link here: http://www.soundbrenner.com/

strangemusic has a new favorite as of 17:30 on Mar 2, 2017

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Aramek posted:

I bought an Otter Box for my phone. I'm sorry it's ugly. :(

I had one of those burly uncrushable waterpoof models a few years back and the grippy rubber came off in my jean pockets after one shift at work. Took it back and the second one did the same thing. Now I just use their commuter.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

My sister gave me her old Fitbit Flex. It's kinda neat. :shobon:

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Pastry of the Year posted:

this book is extremely dumb and it is so, so wonderful

Here is the recipe for the "Stone Cold's 'Stomp a Mud Hole In Your Steaks and Ribs' Simmering Sauce" in text form in case you're having Thanksgiving with Grandma this year:

Ingredients:
2 cups bottled chili sauce
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 1/2 cups beer
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup molasses
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup hickory flavored barbecue sauce (or J.R.'s BBQ sauce)
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, to taste

Instructions:
1) In a medium saucepan, bring all the ingredients except the hot pepper sauce to boil. Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer, uncovered, until slightly thickened , about 15 minutes.

2) Stir in the hot pepper sauce.

3) Brush the sauce on the meat in the last 15 minutes of grilling.

Why did I not know this existed and why isn't it in my bookshelf?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I can only imagine how many times "Do you smell what THE ROCK is cooking?!" is printed in the dust cover alone.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Android devices depreciate to 25% of their value within a year, so I've never understood the point of a case.

Some people prefer not to walk around with a shattered screen if they drop their phone.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

travisray2004 posted:

Some people prefer not to walk around with a shattered screen if they drop their phone.
I think what this goon is trying to say is "You are poor, Android user. Just throw away your cheap broken depreciated garbage phone and be phone-less like the poor person you are."
At least, that's how I'm reading it.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Pretty much all phone cases that aren't Otterboxes do nothing to prevent screen cracks.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

betterinsodapop posted:

I think what this goon is trying to say is "You are poor, Android user. Just throw away your cheap broken depreciated garbage phone and be phone-less like the poor person you are."
At least, that's how I'm reading it.

Who sees phones as anything other than a tool? Like, I don't care it depreciates. If anything that makes me want last year's phone so much more. I just want a phone that works well until I have to buy a new one because it finally died.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Jmcrofts posted:

Pretty much all phone cases that aren't Otterboxes do nothing to prevent screen cracks.

OtterBox shill spotted.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

Aramek posted:

Who sees phones as anything other than a tool? Like, I don't care it depreciates. If anything that makes me want last year's phone so much more. I just want a phone that works well until I have to buy a new one because it finally died.
I agree with you, but there's obviously a large segment of people who will run out and get "the new hotness" every year.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Not to poo poo on anyone's case preferences, hell I like my Nexus 6 I got new years 2015 due to this thread way better without a case... But I especially love Project Fi and my ~$30 phone bills every month, and that requires that I keep a pretty recent Google phone, so Spigen case it is. gently caress replacing this tool unless it really needs it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Jmcrofts posted:

Pretty sure they decrease the chance of a direct screen impact on the ground by providing a lip around the screen that hits the ground first and absorbs the impact.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Aramek posted:

Hey there. When I upgrade phones, I usually sell my older one for hundreds of dollars because it works and is in good comestic condition despite heavy usage due to cases/screen protectors. None of my phones have ever "died" on me, cept for one or two occassions where warranty covered me.

Do you like money? I do! Imagine if you had an extra 100 to 300 dollars in your pocket after upgrading to the latest and greatest!

Take care of your poo poo and someone will pay you money for it when you're done using stuff, guys. It's really not that hard of a concept.

KingSlime has a new favorite as of 21:32 on Mar 2, 2017

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Are you saying you make a profit when you sell your old phone and buy a new one?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Also don't have sex with your girlfriends so she's better for the next guy and don't drive your car so it'll look better for the next owner. Also have autism ftw.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Sometimes yeah, especially if you get new phones at promo or discounted prices. It's pretty great, plenty of people do this.

Mini computers hold their value quite well.

Haha I think comparing a consumer good to a girlfriend is more indicative of a mental disorder than is the act reselling your used electronics for 50% or more of their original value

KingSlime has a new favorite as of 21:41 on Mar 2, 2017

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
I don't get people who pay up to 500$ for a smartphone.

Mine costed 70$ new and it does everything my GF's iPhone does and the battery lasts longer.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
70 bucks, really? And it keeps up with an iphone?

What phone is it? Link?

My experience with sub 200 dollar phones is that they are absolute hot trash unless all you do is text, but I haven't bought a budget phone in over four years.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I can't wait until he links his phone so we can laugh at it.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Shh don't ruin this for me

Trebek
Mar 7, 2002
College Slice
Yeah we gonna need to see that flip phone bro.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Maybe his girlfriend's iphone is the original iphone that couldn't do poo poo.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
My mother finally traded in her flip phone about a year an a half ago for a Droid Maxx, and immediately called me to ask what was wrong, and why her battery was always dying.

I asked, "Well how long does it last?"

She said, "I only had to charge my old phone once a week; I have to charge this thing every two days!"

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
His girlfriend might also be rocking a knock off chinese iphone, the one that comes with two battery packs because the battery life is insanely terrible

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Has the Motorola G4 gone that low? I think I remember seeing it for like $90.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

1redflag posted:

I can only imagine how many times "Do you smell what THE ROCK is cooking?!" is printed in the dust cover alone.

You'd think so, wouldn't you? And yet that phrase appears neither anywhere on the dust jacket, nor in the three THE ROCK™-themed recipes ("THE ROCK'S™ Famous Rock-Bottom Pancakes," "THE ROCK'S™ 'Smack-aroni' Salad," and "THE ROCK'S™ Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookies"). Maybe this was before he started saying that thing.

It is alarming how many of the wrestlers with recipes in this book are now dead.