Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

new phone who dis posted:

Show me evidence instead of an assertion and I'll happily debate it's veracity with you. Until then, it's just a bunch of people making claims that just so happen to back up their preferred candidate with zero evidence.

uh

dude

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2016/10/21/17-intelligence-agencies-russia-behind-hacking/92514592/

read. learn. think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Show me evidence instead of an assertion and I'll happily debate it's veracity with you. Until then, it's just a bunch of people making claims that just so happen to back up their preferred candidate with zero evidence.

The evidence.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/01/06/us/politics/document-russia-hacking-report-intelligence-agencies.html

What, in it, would you like to dispute? If the argument is "I can't see the classified sections so it's all made up" then there's no point talking with you.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Moridin920 posted:

Bro there's a wide gap in between "giving them the benefit of the doubt and ignore it" and "hang 'em all!"

Such as, we can investigate the substance of those meetings/calls to see if they are relevant to what Al Franken was talking about. This isn't some smoking gun on its own and to act otherwise is silly.

Sounds like he just met that dude in the course of meeting 25 other ambassadors.

He met with him separately on another occasion.

And what was actually said can be investigated, but the actual content of the meetings is entirely irrelevant to the issue of the current AG perjuring himself/making false statements under oath during his confirmation hearing and in a subsequent written statement. Sessions is an untrustworthy reactionary gently caress who is unqualified to hold the office he does, what he did or didn't say to an agent of the Russian state is entirely secondary to that.

LGD fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 2, 2017

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
like, lol if you think there isnt any evidence?

https://www.buzzfeed.com/sheerafrenkel/meet-fancy-bear-the-russian-group-hacking-the-us-election?utm_term=.ssrDY3aGX#.xm1Wyk7Nn

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

sincx posted:

possible collusion with Russia and clearly committing perjury.

Even your own side is :yikes: with you at this point.

You are a loon, dude.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

Poetic Justice posted:

More information is always good, and I also welcome knowing what the meetings were about. I think too many people want to jump to a guilty conclusion just because of personal political beliefs, and IMO that's not a good or healthy thing to do.

Counterpoint: you're a pizzagater.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

sincx posted:

The evidence.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/01/06/us/politics/document-russia-hacking-report-intelligence-agencies.html

What, in it, would you like to dispute? If the argument is "I can't see the classified sections so it's all made up" then there's no point talking with you.

Go ahead and post the parts of the report that show evidence in the thread. I'll wait.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

runupon cracker posted:

Counterpoint: you're a pizzagater.

That's not even a remotely contrasting counterpoint!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

LGD posted:

And what was actually said can be investigated, but the actual content of the meetings is entirely irrelevant to the issue of the current AG perjuring himself/making false statements under oath during his confirmation hearing and in a subsequent written statement.

Holy poo poo the content of the meetings is entirely the hinge on whether or not what he said was perjury because he was obviously answering Al Franken's question not talking about in general out of the blue.

It's like if someone asked me "hey have any Russians talked to you about treason against the USA?" and I go "no I haven't talked to any Russians wtf?" and then laters someone goes "AHA YOU TALKED TO IVAN BORLAV A YEAR AGO LIAR LIAR LIAR!!!"

Well I didn't lie if Ivan Borlav was just telling me about a great new deal on Russian Ushankas. It's not a lie because "I haven't talked to any Russians" was specifically in the context of the question that was just asked.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Moridin920 posted:

Bro there's a wide gap in between "giving them the benefit of the doubt and ignore it" and "hang 'em all!"

Such as, we can investigate the substance of those meetings/calls to see if they are relevant to what Al Franken was talking about. This isn't some smoking gun on its own and to act otherwise is silly.

Sounds like he just met that dude in the course of meeting 25 other ambassadors.

From earlier:

From the AP:
"Sessions had more than 25 conversations with foreign ambassadors last year in his role as a U.S. senator and senior member of the Armed Services Committee, and had two separate interactions with Kislyak, the department confirmed.

One was a visit in September in his capacity as a senator, similar to meetings with envoys from Britain, China, Germany and other nations, the department said.

The other occurred in a group setting following a Heritage Foundation speech that Sessions gave during the Republican National Convention, when several ambassadors - including the Russian - approached him after the talk as he was leaving the stage, according to the department."

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Fog Tripper posted:

Even your own side is :yikes: with you at this point.

You are a loon, dude.

So you have no argument, and you're deflecting in a vain attempt to please your /pol/ masters. See I can do ad hominem attacks too.

https://twitter.com/NancyPelosi/status/837152985620807680

No one on "my side" is trying to excuse perjury. Hell, even Pelosi, who lacks a backbone and voted for a bunch of Trump appointees, is calling for Sessions' resignation.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
you are buying into a fantasy

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Just because the Dems are saying it is true doesn't make it so lol, if that was how poo poo worked then Obama would have been impeached for lack of birth certificate 2 months in.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

The first occurred after a Heritage Foundation event during the Republican National Convention in July, when the department says a group of envoys - including the Russian ambassador - approached Sessions. The second was a September conversation, which the department likened to the more than 25 conversations Sessions had with foreign ambassadors last year as a senior member of the Senate Armed Services Committee.

Like bro come the gently caress on lmao what substance could either of those two "meetings" have had?

That first one is just like "hey here's a group of foreign envoys let's shake hands"

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

nigga crab pollock posted:

pizzagator

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

And you been taking it from Fox for way too long. Good job. I'm sure your masters are pround.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

LGD posted:

He met with him separately on another occasion.

From the AP:
"The other occurred in a group setting following a Heritage Foundation speech that Sessions gave during the Republican National Convention, when several ambassadors - including the Russian - approached him after the talk as he was leaving the stage, according to the department."

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Moridin920 posted:

sounds like Saudi Arabia to me

It's not that Russia isn't bad, it's that they aren't so bad we can't have diplomatic relations w/ them wtf?

I think it was in the 2008 democratic primary that obama was asked if he would meet with foreign leaders that were hostile to the US (like Iran or Cuba) and he basically said he would and the right went batshit insane over it while the left rolled their eyes.

The times they are a changin'

LGD posted:

Protip: you can maintain a healthy skepticism about the degree of Russian involvement in the election while still thinking Sessions should be removed from office or, at a bare minimum, removed from overseeing any investigations/prosecutions focused on the area that he lied about under oath.

This is basically my position. Lol if people still buy into the Russia thing, but sessions likely did perjured himself or at the least omitted information necessary. I hope there's more investigations and information that come out so we can know.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

yeah lying under oath is basically a complete and direct confirmation of russian involvement in the election. don't you read the news?
We already have direct confirmation of russian involvement in the election. We monitored conversations of them arguing over how far to go with interfering with our elections and they were responsible for a campaign of cyber attacks on state electoral systems in September. There may be a Benghazi-like effect on the public where if you say "Russian election interference" everyone thinks we're talking about their own personal collection of rumors and half-truths ("they rigged the vote!"), but there is no real question as to whether Russia meddled with our elections. Even congressional Republicans accept that, and it's pretty funny that you're trying to paint that as a conspiracy theory while simultaneously arguing that 17 different intelligence agencies only came to that conclusion as a result of conspiracy. :tinfoil:

All this weird poo poo with Sessions, Flynn, Manafort, etc is just shady people being shady.

Fog Tripper posted:

McCain and Graham have done this at every turn and are the most rino of all rinos. gently caress them both.
I was talking about Portman, Issa, Heller, etc asking him to recuse himself. The list is growing.

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.
https://twitter.com/woodruffbets/status/837408867982114817

This is appropriate regardless of the meeting, given how involved he was with the Trump campaign.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Toadvine posted:

That's not even a remotely contrasting counterpoint!

pizzagate is all about jumping to a guilty conclusion just because of personal political beliefs, soooo

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Moridin920 posted:

Holy poo poo the content of the meetings is entirely the hinge on whether or not what he said was perjury because he was obviously answering Al Franken's question not talking about in general out of the blue.

It's like if someone asked me "hey have any Russians talked to you about treason against the USA?" and I go "no I haven't talked to any Russians wtf?" and then laters someone goes "AHA YOU TALKED TO IVAN BORLAV A YEAR AGO LIAR LIAR LIAR!!!"

Well I didn't lie if Ivan Borlav was just telling me about a great new deal on Russian Ushankas.

He had a separate official meeting with the Russian ambassador in question, this was not a passing comment with someone he met at a DC gala. Also

"Have you been in contact with anyone connected to any part of the Russian government about the 2016 election, either before or after election day?"
"No."

is not remotely ambiguous and is something he said in writing.

e:

that same AP article posted:

The first occurred after a Heritage Foundation event during the Republican National Convention in July, when the department says a group of envoys - including the Russian ambassador - approached Sessions. The second was a September conversation, which the department likened to the more than 25 conversations Sessions had with foreign ambassadors last year as a senior member of the Senate Armed Services Committee.
hrm

LGD fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 2, 2017

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

The Landstander posted:

https://twitter.com/woodruffbets/status/837408867982114817

I actually think this is appropriate regardless, given how involved he was with the Trump campaign.

I'm okay with this.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
He has a clear conflict of interest, recusing himself shouldn't even be something that was ever in question lol.

LGD posted:

He had a separate official meeting with the Russian ambassador in question, this was not a passing comment with someone he met at a DC gala. Also

"Have you been in contact with anyone connected to any part of the Russian government about the 2016 election, either before or after election day?"
"No."

What if that separate official meeting wasn't about the 2016 election? Then it would not be perjury. Right?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

sincx posted:

So you have no argument, and you're deflecting in a vain attempt to please your /pol/ masters. See I can do ad hominem attacks too.

I literally posted something directly above this post that you should read slowly and attempt to translate those words into communication.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Knight posted:

All this weird poo poo with Sessions,

Pleasantries and being social at government functions is horrid to you. My god the thought of it just puts you into an uncomfortable state.
Truly weird poo poo.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
spooky scary russians

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

LGD posted:

"No."

e:

hrm

Perhaps if you were actually reading the thread and not just cherry picking it, you would have seen that I posted that whole thing earlier TWICE.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Knight posted:

We already have direct confirmation of russian involvement in the election. We monitored conversations of them arguing over how far to go with interfering with our elections and they were responsible for a campaign of cyber attacks on state electoral systems in September. There may be a Benghazi-like effect on the public where if you say "Russian election interference" everyone thinks we're talking about their own personal collection of rumors and half-truths ("they rigged the vote!"), but there is no real question as to whether Russia meddled with our elections. Even congressional Republicans accept that, and it's pretty funny that you're trying to paint that as a conspiracy theory while simultaneously arguing that 17 different intelligence agencies only came to that conclusion as a result of conspiracy. :tinfoil:

All this weird poo poo with Sessions, Flynn, Manafort, etc is just shady people being shady.
I was talking about Portman, Issa, Heller, etc asking him to recuse himself. The list is growing.
i mean, trump himself lied about being in contact with russia and putin. a bunch of times, im pretty sure.

so theres that too

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Knight posted:

We already have direct confirmation of russian involvement in the election.

So proof? Can you please share the proof so we can start indicting people?

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

Oh poo poo buzzfeed? Yep it's legit. I don't even have to read it. It's fine with me if Jeff Sessions is removed as attorney general because I don't like his stance on legal Marijuana. That dickhead better not ruin my planned vacation to Colorado.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Trump hosed status: slightly more hosed than he was before Sessions recused himself, but still mostly unfucked

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.
Whenever Trump goes "wouldn't it be nice to get along with Russia" he should toss in this video as I think it will be convincing to people:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqKPswqyPrc

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Frijolero posted:

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Go ahead and post the parts of the report that show evidence in the thread. I'll wait.

Lol if you are illiterate and can't read yourself, then there's no point talking to you.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

sincx posted:

Lol if you are illiterate and can't read yourself, then there's no point talking to you.

This is embarrassing

for you

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

Frijolero posted:

The intelligence people said so. Even though they won't offer up any hard evidence on how they arrived at that conclusion. Lock him up and install Hillary Clinton, the people's champion who never told a lie, as the president. Stop the madness.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Knight posted:

I suspect some just want to put an end to the media's mock outrage. Sadly having him recuse himself is going to cause more of the same when the dems see they can get away with this crap.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cold, hard community assessment. Trump is toast :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I don't like the new red scare / mcarthyism tactics but omg I would love if it led to Sessions resigning, that would be sooooooo good.

• Locked thread