Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Jestery posted:

Two fold question.

1. I have an AMD FX8150 it still seems to run fine. Convince me to upgrade to an i5-6600k

2.can someone give me the idiots cliff notes on what's happening with amd at the moment?

I see all these benchmarks and NVIDIA and Intel seem to b quaking in their boots. I can't quite make heads or tails of it

1) It would be a 7600K if you were to buy one, not the older Skylake
2a) This is a two parter, so first, AMD's CPUs: Ryzen (AMD's new CPU) releases tomorrow, and the review NDA lifts. Literally wait until tomorrow (or most likely, two days) to see reviews on Ryzen. Bear in mind, they're only releasing their top-end 8-core products right now, which may not appeal to you anyway. For what it's worth, all the 'leaks' and other information indicate that the 8-core Ryzens will pretty much destroy Intel's high end gear in price/performance, but the quad core Kaby Lakes will most likely still take point in single thread performance.
2b) AMD's GPUs: Vega looks like it will be too little, too late. There was a conference yesterday from AMD, but they released exactly nothing. NVIDIA, on the other hand, have announced their 1080Ti will be $700, pushing their other cards down in price. NVIDIA seems to be unstoppable right now.
AMD's GPU division is now in a worse position than the CPU one, kind of switch-around from the past few years.

tl;dr: If you have a use for more than 4 cores, and your workload needs that raw power, AMD's Ryzen is almost certainly worth the wait.
On the GPU side, unless you're buying low-mid range card like the Radeon 480 (which is down in price), NVIDIA's high end product stack is unbeatable, and AMD hasn't announced anything convincing enough to counter it.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Mar 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Dead Goon posted:

1. You shouldn't, you should get an i5-7600K instead.

2. AMD have new CPUs coming out soon called Ryzen, also something about GPUs and Vega which I don't really understand. Intel seems to be quite worried because Ryzen might be as good as their stuff for almost half the price. I don't think nVIDIA give a poo poo about anything AMD with GPUs anymore.

Any independently verified benchmarks yet, or release dates?

Edit: ahh tomorrow, neat

Thanks goons y'all are the best

Jestery fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Mar 1, 2017

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Jestery posted:

Any independently verified benchmarks yet, or release dates?

No, I think the NDA or whatever they are calling it lifts on Thursday.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
I have a current system of :

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($456.50 @ shopRBC)
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($141.50 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card ($874.99 @ Amazon Canada)

I'm going to upgrade to a 1080ti on release. I'd like to have a 2nd rig around the house for friends to use, I'll be putting the 980ti into that. I'd like the 2nd sytem to address my worries about being locked into a LGA1150 motherboard.

What's the best bang for buck on opening up an LGA1151 upgrade path and throwing this 980ti into it? PS. I'm in mapleland.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

midge posted:

What's the best bang for buck on opening up an LGA1151 upgrade path and throwing this 980ti into it? PS. I'm in mapleland.
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/XG6DKZ
Here is a quick build sans video card for the land of Rowsdower. I would normally go with a cryorig h7, but it doesn't seem to exist in the frozen north where you reside. The RAM is stupid looking, but the price is right.

You could go with a cheaper case and power supply, but I hate going too cheap on those. Maybe this build for saving a money on those. I personally dislike too many open vents though.
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/ygmDKZ

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 1, 2017

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Filthy Monkey posted:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/XG6DKZ
Here is a quick build sans video card for the land of Rowsdower. I would normally go with a cryorig h7, but it doesn't seem to exist in the frozen north where you reside. The RAM is stupid looking, but the price is right.

You could go with a cheaper case and power supply, but I hate going too cheap on those. Maybe this build for saving a money on those. I personally dislike open uncoverable vents though.
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/ygmDKZ

This is perfect. Agreed on PSU and Case. I run an Define R5 and EVGA SuperNOVA GS 650W 80+ Gold in my current build. Never going back. Thanks mate.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

midge posted:

This is perfect. Agreed on PSU and Case. I run an Define R5 and EVGA SuperNOVA GS 650W 80+ Gold in my current build. Never going back. Thanks mate.
Sounds like you know what you are getting then. The Define S is basically an R5 with bays and drive cages stripped out, plus it is cheaper. Easy to get great airflow going inside it. If you are aren't running a lot of drives and don't care about a dvd drive, it is typically what I recommend. The EVGA G3 is a top-end power supply right now. Better than your GS, actually.
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=500

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 1, 2017

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I've read that Samsung doesn't have any official presence in Canada so any RMA has to go through the US and it involves the customer paying for everything so that might be something to watch out for.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

lordfrikk posted:

I've read that Samsung doesn't have any official presence in Canada so any RMA has to go through the US and it involves the customer paying for everything so that might be something to watch out for.

Well, I deal closely with their b2b/commercial displays unit so they certainly have SOME presence here. Not sure about consumer computer parts.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Jestery posted:

Two fold question.

1. I have an AMD FX8150 it still seems to run fine. Convince me to upgrade to an i5-6600k
Let me rephrase that for you: "I'm satisfied with my system already, convince me to spend money on a new one."

...no?

The time to upgrade is when you are no longer satisfied with your systems performance. Not when some threshold is reached on paper.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

- What country are you in?
US

- What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing?
Mainly mid level gaming (streaming to a Steam Link for some local coop without studdering in the other room)

- What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so.
Preferably 600 max, minus Windows

- If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”?
I honestly don't know. Like I said, my plan is to stream from it to a Steam Link. Mid level graphics is fine. I won't necessarily play like DOOM on highest settings, but I wouldn't mind playing Rocket League without studdering.

I showed a buddy of mine the builds in the OP, and his response was that they are outdated. Didn't really elaborate beyond that. He sent me this build. and I would like some feedback.

CPU: Intel Core i5-7400 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($188.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($57.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($54.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card ($190.66 @ Jet)
Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($33.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $626.59

"Now some info about this build. I got an i5 in there, but it's the smallest i5. Also that motherboard is poo poo and probably not a good idea to get a better one till you get a new CPU and it's not a great idea to get a new CPU till you upgrade it. So that's a complete replacement for both no real upgrade path. The memory is fine for what it is, but it's a bit slower than most would want 2400/2666. HDD is fine 1TB isn't too small and the read/ write is decent for price. The RX 480 is the defacto budget base GPU out there. The next tier would be the Nvidia 1070. Which is almost 2x the price. Also not sure if the 1070 would be at all limited by the CPU not sure. The case is honestly great. It'll be fine as long as you don't buy a cooler larger than 150mm like the hyper 212 Evo. The PSU is a decent brand and actually almost 100w more than you need ATM. It might even support a new Mobo and CPU if you're careful. However it'll need to be upgraded later. So all that to say this. This build is made within your budget not as an upgrade path. When you want to upgrade it's almost a complete teardown and replace. So keep that in mind. Theoretically you would drop down to an dual core i3 and get a better GPU maybe? In my opinion not worth it. More cored for better CPU tasks is what I'd want over a lightly better GPU. Also I quoted you the lesser GPU 4gb not the one you'd want at 8gb so add $20."

Then he said some stuff about the new AMD chip coming out this week. I'm not at all versed in this (even after reading the thorough OP), so I guess my question is this: is my buddy's build better than anything in the OP with regards to my needs? Ideally, I would like to have an upgrade path so that once it's built I can just dump 1-200 in it per year and be fine. I don't know if that's possible, but it sounds like if it is, my buddy's build doesn't accommodate it.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

He is right that the OP is a bit outdated.

The main problem with that build is that the motherboard will need a bios update before the CPU will work. For most boards, that is a hard thing to do without a CPU. To avoid that you want a more recent chipset like h270. This is the cheapest one on pcpartpicker right now. It is mATX, but I don't see that as being a big problem for you. Maybe pair it with an mATX case too.
http://pcpartpicker.com/product/93jWGX/asrock-h270m-pro4-micro-atx-lga1151-motherboard-h270m-pro4

$600 is a really tight budget though. Waiting to see how the Ryzen reviews look tomorrow is a good idea.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 1, 2017

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008
What country are you in? USA

What are you using the system for? Gaming and media streaming

What's your budget? $1000-$1200,but flexible for a major gain

If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? This may be what helps decide what parts to choose certainly for GPS, and is my main reason for posting here.

I will be plugging this PC into a TV. I have two to choose from:

1. LG 55ec9300 - 55" 1080p at 120hz
2. Samsung un65js8500 - 65" 4k at 120hz

I want to play games at 1080p and high settings, but I think most of the games I play will be indie titles and non AAA stuff, so I'm not sure if I should get a 1070 or 1080. I guess the Samsung would need a 1080 to really get good use, but yeah, I may just use the LG.

Reddit has a build called "The end-all" that seems solid so I thought it maybe a good place to start.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($238.75 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Motherboard: MSI Z270 SLI PLUS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($113.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: *GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($86.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($159.99 @ Jet)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card ($399.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1169.67
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-01 15:54 EST-0500

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004

Filthy Monkey posted:

He is right that the OP is a bit outdated.

The main problem with that build is that the motherboard will need a bios update before the CPU will work. For most boards, that is a hard thing to do without a CPU. To avoid that you want a more recent chipset like h270. This is the cheapest one on pcpartpicker right now. It is mATX, but I don't see that as being a big problem for you. Maybe pair it with an mATX case too.
http://pcpartpicker.com/product/93jWGX/asrock-h270m-pro4-micro-atx-lga1151-motherboard-h270m-pro4

$600 is a really tight budget though. Waiting to see how the Ryzen reviews look tomorrow is a good idea.
All good advice except Ryzen isn't really relevant to someone with a $600 budget yet. Only the 8 core Ryzen chips are launching tomorrow and the cheapest one is supposed to be $329 USD. The lower priced chips are several months out.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Col.Kiwi posted:

All good advice except Ryzen isn't really relevant to someone with a $600 budget yet. Only the 8 core Ryzen chips are launching tomorrow and the cheapest one is supposed to be $329 USD. The lower priced chips are several months out.
Sure. It might press all the prices down a bit though, to try to keep things competitive. At least, I can hope for that. Maybe it is just wishful thinking.

Jewce posted:

Reddit has a build called "The end-all" that seems solid so I thought it maybe a good place to start.
It is a good build. Not too much to complain about. Personally I would do swaps for faster RAM, a different case, and a better PSU though.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6w2xNN

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 1, 2017

da anime bulldog
Sep 14, 2004

My idea of helping people.
Im getting into building a new computer, and one thing I don't get. Apparently Nvidia is destroying AMD right now, but how are they able to do so if one of their fanciest features, Gsync, is available in only a few either poo poo monitors, or huge expensive monitors? Freesync seems like such a better deal, and the market is so much larger.

What is the monitor most people use for their Geforces? Im getting the impression that, if I want the best, I want at least 1440p, IPS, Gsync, and perhaps widescreen?

Educate me goons.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004

Filthy Monkey posted:

Sure. It might press all the prices down a bit though, to try to keep things competitive. At least, I can hope for that. Maybe it is just wishful thinking.
It wouldn't really make sense. Put yourself in Intel's shoes. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Intel chips in a similar price range went down, but as you said the point of dropping prices is to compete. If Intel drops prices their thinking would be "we don't want people buying AMD chips instead of ours, so we lower our prices to make ours more appealing." The goal of dropping prices would be to shift the comparison in their favor when a customer is comparing an i5/i7 to a Ryzen to decide what to buy.

Somebody who is looking at $50-150 Intel chips (like a $600 budget needs to) is not going to be comparing them to $330 AMD chips.

Intel has no motivation to drop prices on the lower price chips where no AMD alternative is being introduced. But they have everything to gain by lowering prices on chips that are in vaguely the same price range as a new competing product.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

da anime bulldog posted:

Im getting into building a new computer, and one thing I don't get. Apparently Nvidia is destroying AMD right now, but how are they able to do so if one of their fanciest features, Gsync, is available in only a few either poo poo monitors, or huge expensive monitors? Freesync seems like such a better deal, and the market is so much larger.

What is the monitor most people use for their Geforces? Im getting the impression that, if I want the best, I want at least 1440p, IPS, Gsync, and perhaps widescreen?

Educate me goons.
On the high end, yeah, AMD can't compete right now. When it comes to midrange systems the rx480 is very competitively priced for its performance, and is typically recommended over the 1060. AMD's upcoming vega cards will hopefully give them a more competitive high end.

As for adaptive sync technologies, my suspicion is that most people don't use either one. Freesync certainly has the price advantage though, as gsync monitors typically sell at a $100+ premium.

As for good gsync monitors, yeah, you are typically looking at 1440p and IPS. The first real breakthrough monitor was the Acer XB270HU, as it combined all of those important features into one monitor. The updated version, the XB271HU, is similar. A super high end choice is the predator x34/PG348Q. Both use the same panel. You get ultrawide 3440 x 1440, gsync, IPS, and overclocking to 100 Hz. I am using one right now, and it is pretty sweet. That kind of monitor is out of reach for most people though.

As for your average gamer, I would expect a lot of 1080p 60 Hz monitors, and cheaper korean overclockable 1440p IPS panels without adaptive sync.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
I just bought a 1070 last night for $400 on newegg. Should I return it and wait for a price drop? I know the 1080 price drop is already announced, how long a wait do y'all expect for the 1070s new price to go into effect?

Also where's a reputable place to get a windows 10 home USB for about $90? A key would be fine too, I can scrounge up a USB drive to put it on.

Enderzero fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Mar 2, 2017

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008

Filthy Monkey posted:

It is a good build. Not too much to complain about. Personally I would do swaps for faster RAM, a different case, and a better PSU though.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6w2xNN

Cool, thanks for looking it over and for improving on it a bit. I'll probably spend some more time looking things over to try and eek out the "best" I can get for around the same price. Tom's hardware is currently doing their write up of best pc builds so I would expect that before too long. Is that something worth waiting to check out for ideas?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Jewce posted:

Cool, thanks for looking it over and for improving on it a bit. I'll probably spend some more time looking things over to try and eek out the "best" I can get for around the same price. Tom's hardware is currently doing their write up of best pc builds so I would expect that before too long. Is that something worth waiting to check out for ideas?

IMO that parts list from Filthy Monkey is about perfect, maybe switch the mobo if you see something cheaper out there from Asrock or something but other than that it's good. I have that same case, GPU, and SSD and would definitely recommend them.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Mar 2, 2017

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008

MaxxBot posted:

IMO that parts list is about perfect, maybe switch the mobo if you see something cheaper out there from Asrock or something but other than that it's good. I have that same case, GPU, and SSD and would definitely recommend them.

Sweet, thanks, that's reassuring. I'm getting really close to just hitting buy tonight even though I know the 1070 will go down by $50 and that the new i5 kaby lake is coming. I'm thinking I should be responsible and at least wait for the 1070 to come down in price so I guess I'll wait for now...probably.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Yeah perhaps waiting a week or so and seeing if 1070 prices drop wouldn't be a bad idea.

The CPU on your list is already Kaby Lake, AMD Ryzen is coming out tomorrow but that's mostly going to be useful for people who need more than 4 cores for purposes other than just gaming.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 2, 2017

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Shadow225 posted:

- What country are you in?
US

- What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing?
Mainly mid level gaming (streaming to a Steam Link for some local coop without studdering in the other room)

- What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so.
Preferably 600 max, minus Windows

You sound like you might be better off going with the Pentium G4560 than a Core i3/5. If you're planning to spend a bit of money each year to improve the machine, buy a G4560 with a Z-series board to allow for overclocking down the line.

CPU: Intel Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($61.99 @ Jet)
Motherboard: MSI Z270 GAMING PRO CARBON ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($164.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $226.88
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-01 19:43 EST-0500

The prices on the motherboard and CPU are almost exactly switched from what your friend sent you, but this way allows for a lot more growth over the next few years. Importantly, it allows you to buy/use an overclockable CPU and faster RAM, both of which will really extend the life of your build.

Edit: obvious improvements to your build are a better CPU, faster/more RAM, an SSD, and a better power supply. Each of which could be a $70-220 purchase whenever you feel like giving the system a kick in the pants. But at least your motherboard won't need replacing to do all this stuff.

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 2, 2017

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008

MaxxBot posted:

Yeah perhaps waiting a week or so and seeing if 1070 prices drop wouldn't be a bad idea.

The CPU on your list is already Kaby Lake, AMD Ryzen is coming out tomorrow but that's mostly going to be useful for people who need more than 4 cores for purposes other than just gaming.

Yeah, but I read today about a new Kaby Lake i5 being announced soon that has one major difference from the current .. Can't recall and am on mobile so not ideal to look it up.

I'm now looking into the mobo to see if there are any better options. It's fun researching this stuff, though it's all really similar.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Jewce posted:

Yeah, but I read today about a new Kaby Lake i5 being announced soon that has one major difference from the current .. Can't recall and am on mobile so not ideal to look it up.

I'm now looking into the mobo to see if there are any better options. It's fun researching this stuff, though it's all really similar.

Allegedly there's an i5 7640k coming that's clocked a couple hundred MHz higher than 7600k, and without integrated graphics. But now most sources say that it, along with the i7 7740k, are going to be on the new lga 2066 socket, launching in Q3. So it's more of a "budget" HEDP cpu, rather than a high end mainstream one. If the current lga 2011 is anything to go by, the new 2066 mobos are going to be a fair bit more expensive than 1151 ones, so probably not really worth the wait just for slightly higher stock clock.

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008

Shanghaied posted:

Allegedly there's an i5 7640k coming that's clocked a couple hundred MHz higher than 7600k, and without integrated graphics. But now most sources say that it, along with the i7 7740k, are going to be on the new lga 2066 socket, launching in Q3. So it's more of a "budget" HEDP cpu, rather than a high end mainstream one. If the current lga 2011 is anything to go by, the new 2066 mobos are going to be a fair bit more expensive than 1151 ones, so probably not really worth the wait just for slightly higher stock clock.

Ah, yeah, I'm not waiting for that. I'll probably wait a week to see when the 1070 gets the discount, but even that's not guaranteed.. I'm pretty into instant gratification.

Edit: Now I'm wondering if I should stick with the Asus Strix 1070 or go for an evga or maybe the Zotac extreme.

Jewce fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 2, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Yeah, at the moment Kaby-X is looking a bit lovely, but I still remember seeing a details sheet that claimed that in exchange for it being a fancy IGP-less CPU that it'd have access to something insane like 44 PCIe lanes. Maybe in exchange for no IGP they're putting in a larger on-die PCIe controller to allow for twin 16x CF/SLI with 12 lanes left over for triple full-bandwidth Optane/NVMe drives.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Mar 2, 2017

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008
Sorry to keep clogging up the thread with my posts. Just thinking more about my build (https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6w2xNN) and have some questions.

Mobo: I've got the msi z270 sli plus right now. I have no intention to use sli and while I know a lot of boards just have it, is this board more focused on that? Wondering if I should switch to the Asus prime or Asus Strix z270 board for a bit more? Any highly recommended boards?

GPU : I've got the 1070 now, but I'm not sure if that's overkill. I checked and my LG TV can only do 1080 @ 60hz. I don't plan to buy a monitor, so should I just get a 1060 or rx-480? I want to be able to play AAA games at max settings.

Last, I know you can't future proof, but I'd like to understand more about the typical hardware lifecycles​ with PCs. When I get this computer, how long will it be until games are requiring reduced settings more often than not to run at max settings smoothly? How will that be impacted by 1060 vs 1070? I know this question is broad, but I'm just curious what an upgrade schedule is like for a typical user. Can I expect 3-4 years out of this card? When I do replace, will it likely be just a GPU, or will I need a new mobo and processor to run the next generation of cards?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

The only reason the board has SLI in the name is because it has two reinforced PCI-E slots. You don't actually need to SLI with it.

The Asus prime A and AR do have a couple of upgrades. Mainly a better audio chipset. The strix boards are an upgrade over that, and are very nice, but cost even more. Asus does make some excellent boards, but they sell at a price premium. I do like their fan control software too. MSI/Gigabyte/Asrock typically compete more on price.

For 1080p 60 hz, yeah, the 1070 is a bit overkill. There are some good rx480 sales going on right now, which would make it a good value for your situation.

As for longevity, you can probably expect to need to do a GPU upgrade after two or three years to keep current. After another two or three years it will be time for a complete rebuild. Depends on how up to date you like to be.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Mar 2, 2017

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Jewce posted:

Sorry to keep clogging up the thread with my posts. Just thinking more about my build (https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6w2xNN) and have some questions.

Mobo: I've got the msi z270 sli plus right now. I have no intention to use sli and while I know a lot of boards just have it, is this board more focused on that? Wondering if I should switch to the Asus prime or Asus Strix z270 board for a bit more? Any highly recommended boards?

GPU : I've got the 1070 now, but I'm not sure if that's overkill. I checked and my LG TV can only do 1080 @ 60hz. I don't plan to buy a monitor, so should I just get a 1060 or rx-480? I want to be able to play AAA games at max settings.

Last, I know you can't future proof, but I'd like to understand more about the typical hardware lifecycles​ with PCs. When I get this computer, how long will it be until games are requiring reduced settings more often than not to run at max settings smoothly? How will that be impacted by 1060 vs 1070? I know this question is broad, but I'm just curious what an upgrade schedule is like for a typical user. Can I expect 3-4 years out of this card? When I do replace, will it likely be just a GPU, or will I need a new mobo and processor to run the next generation of cards?

Buy the 480, use it until you're playing games where there's slowdown at settings you want to have (2ish years perhaps) then sell it and buy [thread recommended 1080p card for 2019].
Honestly at this point you're likely to meet recommended CPU requirements, overclock included, for maybe 7 years.
That's a guess, but unless there's a massive shift in games using multi-threaded processes (and this is largely hard in games and unlikely to happen much; you can't multithread many things) it will almost certainly be true.
AAA games released today still recommend the 2500k.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
What country are you in?
USA

What are you using the system for?
Gaming, VR

What's your budget?
$800

CPU: Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.39 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($154.89 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 650W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($112.32 @ Amazon)
Total: $653.58

Already have a 1070 and a case to put the thing in, so they're not included. Not sure if I want to go with the 7600k or 7700k, since I saw a poster claim the latter was the gaming "sweet spot"?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

You don't want to buy a z170 board, as it will require a bios update. If you want a comparable (actually slightly better) Asus board, look at the z270 prime a. You can get the same features for about $20 less with gigabyte/asrock/msi though.

The only real reason to get a 212 evo right now is if you can't get a cryorig h7. It is pretty much the value successor. See
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/CRYORIG/H7_Universal/

The power supply you picked is a good unit, and would work totally fine.
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=446

You can save a little and get the evga G3, which is also a superflower design, and slightly newer. It has even better voltage stability, but slightly less efficiency what with only being gold rated. Also an excellent supply.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 2, 2017

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008
Thanks for the help everyone. I really appreciate it. Hopefully this is my last post because I think I should be good and am ready to hit buy now.

Just to reiterate, I'm looking to play AAA games at max settings on a 1080p @ 60hz monitor.

Basically I switched out the 1070 for an xfx rx480 gtr card. That variant seemed to have best reviews. Goon approved?

CPU: Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($238.75 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Motherboard: MSI Z270 SLI PLUS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($113.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($96.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB GTR Video Card ($244.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define S ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ B&H)
Total: $1049.66
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-02 12:47 EST-0500

Edit: We'll poo poo, the msi mobo is actually $150 on Newegg, not $113. Should I stick with it or spend the extra $20 on the Asus prime-A?

Jewce fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 2, 2017

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
My brother wants a PC, and I recently build mine not too long ago. He mainly wants to game and does some music stuff. Not looking to OC or do more than 1080p gaming for now. Looking for feedback before settling.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jNhKM8
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jNhKM8/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.91 @ Jet)
Motherboard: ASRock B150M Pro4S Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($60.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($63.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ B&H)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Monitor: Asus VS239H-P 23.0" 1920x1080 Monitor ($134.89 @ B&H)
Other: GTX 970 (Purchased For $100.00)
Total: $1059.72
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-02 13:56 EST-0500

Migz
Apr 27, 2006
whops totally put out my "dream" build instead of what I'm actually looking at:

kind of just went off the list.. I dont know alot about pcs other than a long time gamer :p

Trying to get it under 1200 but looking around price picker I'm not seeing much more I can change.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/b77pRG
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/b77pRG/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.88 @ OutletPC)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)

Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING M5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($137.98 @ Newegg)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($122.88 @ OutletPC)

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card ($399.99 @ Newegg)

Case: NZXT S340 - Designed by Razer ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($77.88 @ OutletPC)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($88.58 @ OutletPC)

Total: $1332.16

Migz fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 2, 2017

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
You want a z270 motherboard for the 7X00 processors.

The 1080ti was also just announced at $700. Depending on your needs it might be worth considering given how deep you already are, or you could just enjoy the knock-on savings on the ordinary 1080.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Yeah, don't buy a video card until the new pricing gets pushed through in the next week or so.

I preordered a reference 1080Ti :woop:, and I'll wait a bit to offload my 970 in case the new card does something dumb. It's only a matter of time before I come back to this thread to refresh the rest of my build (i5 4690k)

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Am I right in thinking I can't carry over my RAM (this kit: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00N9PVXJK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1) from my current PC into a new Kaby Lake build? Something to do with the voltage being too high? That's really annoying if so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Am I right in thinking I can't carry over my RAM (this kit: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00N9PVXJK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1) from my current PC into a new Kaby Lake build? Something to do with the voltage being too high? That's really annoying if so...
Yeah you can't use that in a Kaby Lake build. Voltage aside, it goes in a different type of slot with a different number of pins. It's DDR3 and you'll need DDR4. Sorry pal