Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

Is that a drum convention? That would be one of the only places I can imagine where everyone would first think of the utility of having 8 legs before turning their minds to anything sexual.

If it's recent I'd assume it's NAMM. A big music/audio conference and show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such

This reminds me of the weird experimental things they were doing with CGI in the eighties. I just re-encountered this nightmare from my childhood:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62Nn8JltYrI

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

From an abandoned theme park in Japan.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Some of these are lame but some are good

http://imgur.com/gallery/jwLua

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Jmcrofts posted:

Some of these are lame but some are good

http://imgur.com/gallery/jwLua

At least one is taken from a comic book I wonder if any others have inspiration or longer stories behind them

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

That was awesome.

Len posted:

At least one is taken from a comic book I wonder if any others have inspiration or longer stories behind them

I'm pretty sure the woman with the puzzle "revealing itself" is a Clive Barker/Hellraiser thing.

Random Words
Jan 21, 2015

food court bailiff posted:

That was awesome.

I'm pretty sure the woman with the puzzle "revealing itself" is a Clive Barker/Hellraiser thing.

I think it's older than that, I remember getting an old (1950s?) book of short horror stories from the library as a kid and reading the puzzle story, it and one about a woman who constantly wore a velvet choker scared the crap out of seven year old me.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Random Words posted:

I think it's older than that, I remember getting an old (1950s?) book of short horror stories from the library as a kid and reading the puzzle story, it and one about a woman who constantly wore a velvet choker scared the crap out of seven year old me.
Same book had the head down the chimney, right?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

This was my favorite.

Random Words
Jan 21, 2015

World Famous W posted:

Same book had the head down the chimney, right?

I went hunting for the book itself, because I mostly remembered the head down the chimney story from Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark, and as it turns out, yes, the head in the chimney story is in the book I was thinking of, called Tales for the Midnight Hour and the first volume, which is the one in question, is actually from 1977. So not as old as I'd remembered, but everything in the book was old folklore and urban legend.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Solice Kirsk posted:

This was my favorite.

That's the one I was talking about that's a scene from the comic Locke and Key which is pretty good if you're willing to read a comic

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
Does anyone have the Jane Doe forensic sketch where a woman has her hand over her eyes to show her distinctive jewelry on hand? I'm trying to find it for a friend who likes to research Jane Doe cases.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Pretty sure it's been posted; let me check

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Grape Juice Vampire posted:

Does anyone have the Jane Doe forensic sketch where a woman has her hand over her eyes to show her distinctive jewelry on hand? I'm trying to find it for a friend who likes to research Jane Doe cases.

I think she was finally identified as well.

Random Words
Jan 21, 2015

Grape Juice Vampire posted:

I can't find any other information on it other than that, which is listed here, about halfway down the page. GISing the picture itself just brings up a Reddit thread about creepy reconstruction pictures.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
At first glance, I thought you'd posted a screenshot of someone's avatar.

Read Snigfut
Feb 19, 2013

Mostly harmless.

As I recall, her face was so damaged (putting it mildly) that it was impossible to reconstruct, so they covered it with her hand, allowing them to depict her jewelry instead.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
That picture always freaked me out because what is under there?
Like, what if her hand slooowly started moving away from her eyes...

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Stairs posted:

That picture always freaked me out because what is under there?
Like, what if her hand slooowly started moving away from her eyes...

You must have hated peek-a-boo.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

You still wake up sometimes, don't you? You wake up in the dark and hear the screaming of the lambs

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Gorilla Salad posted:

At first glance, I thought you'd posted a screenshot of someone's avatar.

yuuup

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

They're coming to get ewe, Barbara.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Rangpur posted:

Shoebills can tuck in their long necks by curling their spine so that it bends outward from their mouth.

This has become my go-to 'nature is loving crazy' fact to share with people.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Inspiration for this?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Pyrotoad posted:

Inspiration for this?

Those sheep are clearly off-white, at most.

Ichi
May 25, 2004

llama llama ding dong
https://twitter.com/thereal_jdavis/status/837301561500057605

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
96-limbed octopus found near Japan (lol) in 1998.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I've seen a lot of creepy poo poo in this thread but for some reason that octopus thing does it for me. I find myself wishing for a flamethrower to purify that unholy creature.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Rough Lobster posted:

I've seen a lot of creepy poo poo in this thread but for some reason that octopus thing does it for me. I find myself wishing for a flamethrower to purify that unholy creature.

Interesting. To me it looks like it has a goofy face and Hanna Barbera voice.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I wonder what sort of mutation did that? Or was it a response to a traumatic accident since octopuses can regrow limbs? I bet it was tough on the octopus though :(

Edit: she survived for 5 months after capture and laid eggs that hatched into regular 8-armed octopuses. Bless.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL has a new favorite as of 04:32 on Mar 7, 2017

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
http://i.imgur.com/fIBUp6h.mp4

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
It's about time Dark Star got a special edition.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Live action adaptation of I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream lookin' good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Graedyn
Feb 21, 2009

Wedge Regret
Not a creepy picture--or a single creepy picture--but since he was "born" here, I'll just leave this for your amusement.

http://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/the-slenderman-legend-everything-you-need-to-know/

In part...

"An internet phenomenon
The “Slenderman” has been an urban legend since it was born in June 2009. The creator: artist Eric Knudsen, going under the nom de plume Victor Surge, on an online forum called Something Awful."