Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

"Hunter desperate to prove the reality of the supernatural vs. a totally innocent magical creature who nonetheless is dangerous / toxic to nearby humans AND would serve his selfish purposes perfectly" sounds like an awesome setup to me.

And a Promethean could easily be an escaped project by an evil megacorp.

Helluva a moral conflict. Bag and tag this near harmless confused construct for proof and personal gain OR show mercy and let it go.

poo poo, this is getting deep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

crime fighting hog posted:

One of my players is trying to find undeniable proof of the supernatural to show he's not crazy to his divorce attorneys. Thus my question.
Let him know about Changelings, then tell him what happens to a Fetch upon death.

That'd be one hell of a courtroom drama.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Yawgmoth posted:

Let him know about Changelings, then tell him what happens to a Fetch upon death.

That'd be one hell of a courtroom drama.

"These Leaves and Twigs are the victim your honor"

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Senior Scarybagels posted:

"These Leaves and Twigs are the victim your honor"
"Watch, I'll prove he's a fae creature!" *stabs man* "look, as soon as he dies he'll turn into cat hair and springs!"

"...any time now."

"Huh. Uh oh."

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I don't know poo poo about changling but I'm laughing my rear end off.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Rose posted an update for Scion yesterday

Features: 2 Fatebound roles, two Paths, Wyrd (the Aesir signature purview) and the purviews of Fortune, Fertility and Prosperity
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B01LwCGSbE8kU2E5OXlhZm56Vjg

Playtesting also made some rules changes
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/200664283/scion-2nd-edition-tabletop-rpg/posts/1820533

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

"Here lies Richard Tremaine. Not a fetch, just an rear end in a top hat"

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

I don't know poo poo about changling but I'm laughing my rear end off.

So, Changelings get kidnapped somehow by the Fae. In their place is left a Fetch. It looks like them, acts like them, thinks like them, etc. Basically a perfect clone.

Except since it was created by the Fae to make sure no one goes looking for you, it turns into whatever it was made out of when it dies. Typically sticks and leaves.

e: someone more familiar with Changelings will correct me on everything I'm wrong on, I'm sure

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

That makes sense. The only stuff I know about Changling is from this thread and in the one Hunter book about them.

It sounds like the most nightmare fuel stuff.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

That makes sense. The only stuff I know about Changling is from this thread and in the one Hunter book about them.

It sounds like the most nightmare fuel stuff.

The Gentry scare mages.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

There is one thing about the Fetch that separates it from the original. Exactly one difference.

Every Fetch is missing one trait that the original had - usually a positive trait, but not always. Sometimes a Fetch doesn't have the original's kindness, sometimes not their alcoholism.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

There is one thing about the Fetch that separates it from the original. Exactly one difference.

Every Fetch is missing one trait that the original had - usually a positive trait, but not always. Sometimes a Fetch doesn't have the original's kindness, sometimes not their alcoholism.

Yeah, the scarier fetch is the one that is better then you. You get kidnapped, come back, and find out your kids have a way better dad who doesn't drink and looks just like you.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

The Gentry scare mages.

Terry Pratchet's line from Lords and Ladies always comes to mind when people talk about the Gentry.

quote:

Elves are wonderful. They provoke wonder.
Elves are marvellous. They cause marvels.
Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror.
The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
No one ever said elves are nice.
Elves are bad.

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

If I'm wrong, please don't hesitate to tell me. It happens pretty often and I will try to change my opinion if I'm presented with evidence.
Wasn't that in one of the books?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Here's a big effort post about my game we hope to kick of Saturday. I apologize in advance for grammar and spelling due to beers.

Darkness on the Edge of Town

Seven days ago, five fellow Hunters in New Carthage disappeared without warning or trace. Their families and friends have filed missing persons reports, while the Hunter community is quietly losing its poo poo thinking their best and brightest have been kidnapped, murdered or worse.

Call in the B team:

"Lindsey O'Hare is a User Experience Analyst/Designer at a software company who was introduced to the hunting life when a shapeshifter killed and replaced his coworker and another Hunter came in to clean up the mess. He specializes in computers, prefers handguns, and loves animals more than people."
Lindsey works for Endron International and has a creeping suspicion his managers are not what they seem. He gets esoteric emails/texts from "Janus" dropping him hints about several missing Hunters as of late. Addresses and bank account numbers, that sort of thing, which leads him to connecting the dots several heavy-handed investigators have been pressured to find lately according to local TV.

"Walt Herman is a trail-guide/hired farmhand who's currently in a custody battle for his 9 year-old daughter, Lilly."
Walter, a local farmhand and trailguide, recently became a Hunter after two tours in Iraq and found some kind of monster in a shed outside his house after his daughter said something was staring at her outside the window that night. Since then, he's been battling divorce attorneys trying to prove he's not delusional, trying to find irrefutable proof of the monsters in the night.
Which is challenging considering most dissolve or ash after he empties the shotgun into them.
Think Frank Castle but instead of his family being gunned down, his wife may or may not be controlled by demonic forces and he's battling for the custody rights of his daughter as a result.

Losing his job sucked. His ex-wife sucks. lovely credit sucks. Local poo poo hipster bars suck. Finding a a weird-rear end book in the back of a car you're taking apart for a chop-shop? That sucked the worst. Well, maybe not as bad as the ex-wife. The monsters don't beg for money, at least. But they have been known to beg once or twice.
"Finn MacAllan doesn't wanna hear your bitching. He knows everything sucks. He's just surprised when things don't keep getting worse."
Finn, the local two-bit thug, is being hounded by police for a number of warrants while trying to do his best to keep his auto shop open legitimately. That's as far as my friend has gotten on this character. Picture Rust Cohle from True Detective and you have an idea.

I have other players but they're not sure of concepts yet. Here's what I'm planning.

Three months ago, the first Hunter cell was advised from a mysterious benefactor (Janus, same one as Lindsey) that a group of monsters was out in the woods after feeding on a farm family.
The Cell went out and did what Hunters do: burned the monsters to ash. They were part metal, part man, but disintegrated all the same. But inside the house, they found five pairs of boots but only four piles of ash.

The one that got away
The surviving member of the group retreated into the dark, licking its wounds and waiting.
The horrors are manmade. Unspeakable experimentation yielded them as results from Endron as hybrids of machine and man. Escaping into an unforgiving world, they took refuge and ate the identities of the first group they could to cover their tracks before someone in Endron let some local Hunters know of some monsters who "happened" to be where they are.
The last skintaker waited, studied the Hunter cell and took one of their faces. Eventually, it called for a meeting at the safehouse on the edge of town. One by one as they showed up, it had its revenge.
Accessing the Hunters records, it knows more about possible identities and ties with the community and other Hunters in the area and seeks further revenge.

At this point, I'm thinking my group either stumbles upon the investigation on its own (I hope) after hearing about it on the news and knowing a few of the missing members, or "Janus" advises them of such, eventually discovering the safehouse the Hunters are currently rotting in the basement of under a heavy coat of lime.

Then it's just a matter of tracking down the monster which is using one of their fellow Hunters as a disguise and putting an end to it before more of their fellows are torn to pieces.
Also, it plans on bombing a major transportation site in a failed effort to kill more Hunters.

Is this too abstract for a first session or too straightforward? I plan on introducing some of the killed members as parts of local compacts in case the players are interested in joining, but everyone sounds like Union anyway.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Axelgear posted:

Wasn't that in one of the books?

Probably. The only one I ever read was the main C:tL book and that was years and years ago.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

It's been a long time since I read CtL, so I have a question: Why do Changelings stay secret?

Every other splat has reasons to stay hidden at least for the time being, but a bunch of Changelings collectively emerging, showing their abilities, and telling people about the threat of the True Fae seems like something that should have happened already. Is there something about Glamour I'm forgetting? I know people can't see Seemings but you could film killing a fetch, or do it in a really public place, or just starting walking up walls or through stone.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Kavak posted:

It's been a long time since I read CtL, so I have a question: Why do Changelings stay secret?

Every other splat has reasons to stay hidden at least for the time being, but a bunch of Changelings collectively emerging, showing their abilities, and telling people about the threat of the True Fae seems like something that should have happened already. Is there something about Glamour I'm forgetting? I know people can't see Seemings but you could film killing a fetch, or do it in a really public place, or just starting walking up walls or through stone.
Shortest, simplest answer: Because then it's more likely the True Fae will be able to find you again.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Shortest, simplest answer: Because then it's more likely the True Fae will be able to find you again.

Blaze of glory, dying on your feet instead of living on your knees, etc. It's a Chronicle idea at least.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Kavak posted:

Blaze of glory, dying on your feet instead of living on your knees, etc. It's a Chronicle idea at least.

Find. Not kill.

I doubt any Changling wants to be taken alive again and this seems like an easy way to make that happen.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Kavak posted:

That's a good way to just get Them to come looking for you or get their interest piqued, a thing no changeling in their right mind wants. Plus even if humanity at large knew all it would do is create mass panic, paranoia, witch changeling/fetch hunts, and ill-advised attempts at solving the problem before everyone settled down and life normalized once more. In my Revealed setting I have changelings largely seeking to stay secret, even in regions where the paranormal is largely accepted and integrated in life.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Kavak posted:

Blaze of glory, dying on your feet instead of living on your knees, etc.
Welcome to Summer Court, enjoy your complementary magical armor. Work hard and you too can be one of the few changelings doing agg damage!

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Yawgmoth posted:

Welcome to Summer Court, enjoy your complementary magical armor. Work hard and you too can be one of the few changelings doing agg damage!

I actually completely forgot the courts and each one's deal.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

The problem with telling humanity about the True Fae is that I don't think that actually stops them.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
If anything it makes Them more interested in going out and nabbing people.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Kavak posted:

changeling is an elaborate metaphor for being the victim of an abusive relationship. we actually do live in a society where most people believe rape, emotional abuse, harassment, stalking, and so on are much less prevalent than they actually are, so the reasons why that's true in the real world can be backfitted to why changelings are sure nobody will believe them about the true fae.

Lost_Heretic
Feb 16, 2016

ZeroCount posted:

The problem with telling humanity about the True Fae is that I don't think that actually stops them.

Humanity used to know all about the True Fae and that never stopped them.

I wonder if a Changeling book ever explained why humanity forgot? I'm sure you could hand wave it as a side effect of the Age of Reason, but I find that a little unsatisfying and too CWoD of an answer.

EDIT: Okay, what the person above me said is smarter.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I guess it's part of the horror of the setting that there is no defeating a threat like the True Fae, aside from destroying every single passage into Faerie as the Bridge Burners want.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Lost_Heretic posted:

Humanity used to know all about the True Fae and that never stopped them.

I wonder if a Changeling book ever explained why humanity forgot? I'm sure you could hand wave it as a side effect of the Age of Reason, but I find that a little unsatisfying and too CWoD of an answer.

EDIT: Okay, what the person above me said is smarter.

Considering a major theme in the nWoD is that humans actually do 'know', but keep their heads down and pray poo poo doesn't notice them, that seems like a perfectly acceptable reason that also fits into the abuse metaphor. "It's not my business and I don't want it to be." on a collective scale.

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!

Kavak posted:

There's a lot of reasons they might stay secretive. First of all if they've been gone for awhile they might be legally dead, which isn't that bad but you still have to explain to people what you were doing when you fell off the face of the planet. People are curious and that question is going to get real old, real fast. If you have a fetch suddenly you're in a bit of a tight spot because now they are you according to the world, more than you are now. They have all your identification, all your passwords, everything that made you who you were as far as the world was concerned. Even if you kill them it's not like you can just hop into their place without anyone knowing. You'd probably lose your job, your house, your family because the person they knew has suddenly changed overnight, gaining a foot in height, fifty pounds of muscle and an uncontrollable flinch every time they're touched.

You'd also have to be REALLY trusting of society to do something like that. You're trying to make yourself a public figure, you're going to be surrounded by strangers and you want them to believe you were a person kidnapped by otherworldly creatures but you managed to eventually escape after years of unceasing torture. Worst of all, they might want to bring you in for questioning. Those first few are hard but, some people thrive off of that environment. The last one however is going to throw out a lot of red flags against you, especially if they physically detain you. I don't know exactly how the new edition handles it but getting arrested was very, very bad for your integrity. You probably won't win too much trust if you run off after stabbing a cop (Or you might, probably depends on where you live). On top of this you need to get people to believe you, which is definitely possible. After all you have all those contracts that let you do things people most definitely cannot do on their own. But then your back at being a sudden prominent figure with a huge target painted on your back. It's also lumping you in with every other changeling that comes forward, something that seems a bit irresponsible given their justifiably erratic behavior.

And as ZeroCount said this doesn't actually do anything to the True Fae. There are currently 80,000 missing people in the non-world of darkness United States. The True Fae would have to work their rear end off to make a noticeable difference in that. They could kidnap people every day and still be considered a rounding error.

Basically trying to come forward would have very few tangible benefits and a whole heaping helping of risk, or at least this is a way of justifying it.
Also I need to read changeling again.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
There are probably a few changelings who discretely provide some of the hunter conspiracies with info about True Fae and how to fight them though.

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

If I'm wrong, please don't hesitate to tell me. It happens pretty often and I will try to change my opinion if I'm presented with evidence.

ZeroCount posted:

It kinda could, though. People knowing actual magic is out there could see a lot of resources turned to that end. Suddenly, kids start carrying pieces of iron ore around their necks when they go to school, and people who concealed-carry have pure iron slugs to turn the Gentry to butterfly dreams and sparrow breath. This is even before discussing the kinds of things that a renewed interest in the occult could cause.

On the other hand, this is probably terminally stupid to the Changeling in question, so...

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Axelgear posted:

It kinda could, though. People knowing actual magic is out there could see a lot of resources turned to that end. Suddenly, kids start carrying pieces of iron ore around their necks when they go to school, and people who concealed-carry have pure iron slugs to turn the Gentry to butterfly dreams and sparrow breath. This is even before discussing the kinds of things that a renewed interest in the occult could cause.

On the other hand, this is probably terminally stupid to the Changeling in question, so...

Believing in magic is a bunch of hippy liberal bullshit. Next thing you know, you're going to be going on about "rape culture" or some crap.

Changeling posits that the same mechanisms people use to ignore real-world abusers would work just as well to protect extradimensional abusers with superpowers. The horror is not just that nobody believes you, but that nobody believes you because they just don't give a poo poo. You can't prove that the True Fae exist by showing off the fact that you have superpowers: all you can do is convince people that you yourself are a magical monster. Why would anyone believe anything you have to say then?

It doesn't mesh well with the rest of WOD, where the existence of monsters is a closely-kept secret that must be covered up or else. In Vampire or Mage, the monsters operate with strict secrecy because the mundane world would destroy them if they knew. In Changeling, the mundane world just doesn't give a poo poo about these people on the fringe, and if it turns out someone is preying on them, who cares?

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Mar 3, 2017

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

unzealous posted:

Basically trying to come forward would have very few tangible benefits and a whole heaping helping of risk, or at least this is a way of justifying it.
Also I need to read changeling again.

Won't contest the first paragraph. I was thinking of a lot of Changelings doing this at the same time, which I admit is a bit farfetched. Your third point runs into the WoD's problem with numbers (Who says the True Fae aren't responsible for most of those?). I think Cease to Hope has the right idea, sadly.

When was the last update on CtL 2nd Edition? Was it still trying to turn that subtext into text?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
A real problem with exposing the existence of the True Fae, even if you could, is trusting that people would choose to oppose them. "But who would take the side of an abusive monster?", you may ask, at which point I just point upthread.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Well most real world abusive monsters still look like humans. So do many True Fae, though.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
If a bunch of Changelings came forward to tell humanity about the True Fae, a True Fae would be elected President

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Kavak posted:

Well most real world abusive monsters still look like humans. So do many True Fae, though.

You also can't prove the Gentry exist, except by the fact that they've hurt so many people... who look weird and have weird powers and they SAY they're victims but why should we believe them? Changelings also have a tendency to kill people and replace them - they even turn the body into twigs and leaves somehow! It's painfully easy to see why people would look at Changelings and just slot in every kind of denial. Isn't it easier to say 'this is a monster lying about its experience' than 'my loved ones or myself could be abducted by inhuman powers at any time, twisted and harmed, and the world would never notice?' Nobody wants to think they live in a society where people get hurt like that for no reason and nobody does something.

I think it's interesting to note, as an aside, that Mages aren't so much 'hiding' as 'literally cannot go public even though the Ladder, the Free Council, the Mysterium, and maybe the Arrow all explicitly want to' because the Sleeping Curse is stronger than you are. The Lie beats the God-Machine for secrecy, because while Demons going loud get jumped by a bunch of angels, the people who witness it still witnessed it. If a Mage casts Supernal Magic in front of a stadium full of Sleepers, they get eaten by Paradox and the Sleepers have nightmares, but no real memories.
I'd argue this is because Mage's core horror concept is that you know you know The Truth, about reality, society, and what must be done, and cannot express it to the world at large. Or at least, that horrifies me, personally, and is true in Mage.

Contrasting that to Changeling and Demon, Changeling's horrible because you won't be believed, and Demon is horrible because the New World Order will send machine elves to recalibrate you into obedience with flaming swords. They all have very different takes on the basic 'secret society' axiom, which I appreciate.

EDIT: Ok the reply before mine blows mine out of the water, and in a fraction of the words. My circumlocution is my damnation.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Joe Slowboat posted:

Contrasting that to Changeling and Demon, Changeling's horrible because you won't be believed, and Demon is horrible because the New World Order will send machine elves to recalibrate you into obedience with flaming swords. They all have very different takes on the basic 'secret society' axiom, which I appreciate.

EDIT: Ok the reply before mine blows mine out of the water, and in a fraction of the words. My circumlocution is my damnation.

Nah, now I grok the idea Changeling is the "won't" to Mage, Promethean, and slightly Werewolf's "can't" better.

ZiegeDame posted:

If a bunch of Changelings came forward to tell humanity about the True Fae, a True Fae would be elected President

That's ridiculous. Could a True Fae wrap their mind around Mexico always being in the same place and thus a wall even being possible? I think not. And they'd probably accept being paid in precious memories, heirlooms, souls, and other bullshit instead of the cold, hard cash that American deserves! Sad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

ZiegeDame posted:

"We'll build a hedge and make the Changelings pay for it!"