Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

Yeah RIP

Trainers have specific teams and the trainers are randomly chosen.

Trainers draw from several massive pools, which pools depends on the trainer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
You have to keep in mind that the goal is to get as far as possible, which means winning several times in a row. The AI on the other hand, only needs to win once. The odds of running into something that will easily destroy your team are very high, especially since you're only limited to 3 Pokemon in singles. Doubles is easier, and Triples back in Gen VI was super easy since you had a lot more room for error.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Is Turtonator worthwhile in the Battle Tree? Shell Armor seems handy, and Fire/Dragon grants pretty good coverage.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Yeah, going for long streaks is what eventually kills you, since the odds are against you in the long run and eventually RNG works in the CPU's favor.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Also, while the computer does not counterpick your team, strictly speaking, it does do calculations to min-max defenses against your attacks. It is quite obvious that if a pokemon has a possibility of tanking one of your coverage moves, it will be change the nature + EV spread to ensure it will tank at least one shot.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Also, while the computer does not counterpick your team, strictly speaking, it does do calculations to min-max defenses against your attacks. It is quite obvious that if a pokemon has a possibility of tanking one of your coverage moves, it will be change the nature + EV spread to ensure it will tank at least one shot.

That's actually not true either. All Pokemon are set in stone, and there are 4 different sets at most for a given Pokemon. Natures, IVs, and EV spreads never change.

The only thing that's not set in stone about a Pokemon set is their ability, which randomly picks from their 2 normal abilities, or their hidden ability, even if the HA wasn't released yet.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Dr. Fetus posted:

That's actually not true either. All Pokemon are set in stone, and there are 4 different sets at most for a given Pokemon. Natures, IVs, and EV spreads never change.

The only thing that's not set in stone about a Pokemon set is their ability, which randomly picks from their 2 normal abilities, or their hidden ability, even if the HA wasn't released yet.

That's crazy if true. I've had way too many things survive a coverage move with <5% health. But of course, logical fallacies and all that.

How many premade Pokémon does the battle tree have?

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

AlternateNu posted:

That's crazy if true. I've had way too many things survive a coverage move with <5% health. But of course, logical fallacies and all that.

How many premade Pokémon does the battle tree have?

Almost 1000 Pokemon according to this spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1D7T0jCHBkDppjTB0_rJyK0houk8zE3wLmZ1DlVXEkXg/edit?usp=sharing

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Diet Poison posted:

Did anyone already figure out if you can skip fortune teller phrases you've already got? If not, I'm in-process.
I got "Outstanding" yesterday, reset to not take it, and got "Outstanding" again today. But I figure the odds are still 20% per phrase if it's random and not cycling. But in my other tent today I got "You're 10000 light years away from facing Brock!" which I already had, so: If they're both the same tomorrow, I guess I'll know for sure that you have to just accept repeats to get new ones later.

I'd like to trade with you in-game in order to be able to get your Kanto Tent 3*, if you're willing. Although I don't have a lot that's exciting to trade. I can give you a Garden Pattern Vivillon if you would like.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
Mudsdale mirror match anyone? CZLW-WWWW-WWW5-P3R6

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Hammerite posted:

I'd like to trade with you in-game in order to be able to get your Kanto Tent 3*, if you're willing. Although I don't have a lot that's exciting to trade. I can give you a Garden Pattern Vivillon if you would like.

Sure thing. I'll be home in about an hour and a half ~ 2 hours from the time of this post, depending how long it takes to vote in the by-election today. Probably be on and off here and Pokemon all night 'cause I've got no life and it's Thursday so, yeah. Hit up the trade thread maybe. Actually do we even need to trade anything or just be online at the same time with each other in our DS friend lists? Christ I wish Nintendo's online functions weren't always so obtuse.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Diet Poison posted:

Sure thing. I'll be home in about an hour and a half ~ 2 hours from the time of this post, depending how long it takes to vote in the by-election today. Probably be on and off here and Pokemon all night 'cause I've got no life and it's Thursday so, yeah. Hit up the trade thread maybe. Actually do we even need to trade anything or just be online at the same time with each other in our DS friend lists? Christ I wish Nintendo's online functions weren't always so obtuse.

I'm pretty sure just being online at the same time is good enough, yeah, trading just makes sure. I'll catch you on later. If you want me to put anything in particular in my Festival Plaza slot #1 let me know. I have a Rare Kitchen 5* in there right now because that's what people are most likely to find useful AFAIK.1204-0631-7836, ingmae name is Hammerite

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Hammerite posted:

I'm pretty sure just being online at the same time is good enough, yeah, trading just makes sure. I'll catch you on later. If you want me to put anything in particular in my Festival Plaza slot #1 let me know. I have a Rare Kitchen 5* in there right now because that's what people are most likely to find useful AFAIK.1204-0631-7836, ingmae name is Hammerite

Online now. 0533-5340-6744 ign Maika. I've already got 5* kitchen so no worries, and if you feel the need to trade there's nothing at all I want/need.

edit: Also, I've confirmed you can't just soft-reset to not spend money on the fortune tent and get a new phrase the next day. You gotta take the repeats.

Diet Poison fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Mar 3, 2017

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Diet Poison posted:

Online now. 0533-5340-6744 ign Maika. I've already got 5* kitchen so no worries, and if you feel the need to trade there's nothing at all I want/need.

edit: Also, I've confirmed you can't just soft-reset to not spend money on the fortune tent and get a new phrase the next day. You gotta take the repeats.

Got the tent, thanks!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I got lucky enough to have a wonder trade boost while dumping 3 boxes of rejects.

And then manage to pick up a reject off someone with the nature I wanted.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Finally hit my 50-win streak in Battle Tree Super Singles. :woop:

Here's the team:

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Multiscale - Adamant
Dragon Dance
Extreme Speed
Outrage
Earthquake

Kartana @ Expert Belt
Beast Boost - Jolly
Sacred Sword
Leaf Blade
Smart Strike
X-Scissor

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Psychic Surge - Modest
Psychic
Focus Blast
Moonblast
Thunderbolt

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I got to 150 before I stopped so I could get my cap since the 200 reward is pretty useless.

Pheromosa - focus sash
Hjk (live dangerously)
Ice beam
Uturn
Taunt

Gyarados - gyaradosite
Waterfall
Crunch
Eq
Ddance

Tapu lele - assault vest
Psychic
Shadow Ball
Moonblast
Hp fire

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Rangpur posted:

hosed if I know, I just heard it so many times I assumed it was true. It can't be totally random though, or I'd see a wider range of opponents. Only thing that seems to shake enemy line-ups out of the same 20-odd Pokemon is switching up my team.

It did it last gen. There was a rather large research thread on Smogon for it. This gen it doesn't really seem to directly counter pick you. The closest I've observed is that when I was doing the super double line it would constantly use slower Pokemon if my trick room detter was in slot 1. If the trick room setter was in slot 2 it would use faster, more standard stuff like Garchomp and such. Otherwise no I haven't seen anything that suggests it counter picks this gen.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

PSWII60 posted:

It did it last gen. There was a rather large research thread on Smogon for it. This gen it doesn't really seem to directly counter pick you. The closest I've observed is that when I was doing the super double line it would constantly use slower Pokemon if my trick room detter was in slot 1. If the trick room setter was in slot 2 it would use faster, more standard stuff like Garchomp and such. Otherwise no I haven't seen anything that suggests it counter picks this gen.

Could I have a link to said thread, because I heard counterpicking wasn't the case in any battle facility. I don't even know how the game would determine that, there are way too many factors to consider.

Also I'm pretty sure the Battle Maison thread on Smogon said there was no proof of such a thing happening, and a good amount of people were getting 1000+ streaks.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Mar 3, 2017

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
I was thinking about using my old Singles team in the battle tree I used for Gen 6.

M-Khan, Chansey and Gliscor.

Now I gotta breed them out and think of a doubles team as well.

Regarding counterpicks; We've known since Emerald that the Frontier/Tower/Subway/Maison has been a bunch of cheating BS that only the AI can access

LEGO Genetics fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Mar 3, 2017

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Dr. Fetus posted:

Could I have a link to said thread, because I heard counterpicking wasn't the case in any battle facility. I don't even know how the game would determine that, there are way too many factors to consider.

Sure. I think this was it. The OP has a pretty good description of it, as it would probably be better to call it adaptive AI rather than counter picking. As counter picking would imply that it knew what to use against your team from the get-go. What it seemed more to do was gradually learn what Pokemon you had problems dealing with and use them more often over the course of about 20 to 25 matches.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/mastering-the-maison-a-comprehensive-guide-to-the-kalos-battle-maison.3502496/

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

PSWII60 posted:

Sure. I think this was it. The OP has a pretty good description of it, as it would probably be better to call it adaptive AI rather than counter picking. As counter picking would imply that it knew what to use against your team from the get-go. What it seemed more to do was gradually learn what Pokemon you had problems dealing with and use them more often over the course of about 20 to 25 matches.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/mastering-the-maison-a-comprehensive-guide-to-the-kalos-battle-maison.3502496/

While that tidbit was in the OP, it was denounced later in the thread because they had no hard proof. It was part of a guide they were making, and the AI learning about your team was left out of it.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

PSWII60 posted:

It seems like other posters in that thread call the OP out for the adaptive AI thing being bullshit though?

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
It sure seems like it when you get three all-ice teams in a row because and, unrelated, you lead with Garchomp. But I'm willing to believe it's just a thing that happens when you play Battle Tree again and again because damnit why can't I win 50 in a row I'm better than this.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Dr. Fetus posted:

While that tidbit was in the OP, it was denounced later in the thread because they had no hard proof. It was part of a guide they were making, and the AI learning about your team was left out of it.

Oh well nevermind then. I apparently food not tad fast enough into the thread. I thought Smogon had the ability to update OP's in threads to include new data like SA dots. I guess either they don't or this one chose not to. Either way nevermind then.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs

Dienes posted:

It seems like other posters in that thread call the OP out for the adaptive AI thing being bullshit though?

Some say adaptive AI, I say how the gently caress do all these different trainers in game know exactly what Pokémon to break my streak when it makes no logical sense for "Hiker Mike" to know anything about the team that "Scientist Jack" just battled.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I am still convinced gen 6 would read your inputs, and not decide it's moves until after you locked yours in. I know it's probably not true, but gen 6 was way more brutal, and it's easy for me to believe.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
It's a simple matter of numbers. The longer your streak is the more likely it is that you'll run into a team that can gently caress your team up really bad.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

PSWII60 posted:

Oh well nevermind then. I apparently food not tad fast enough into the thread. I thought Smogon had the ability to update OP's in threads to include new data like SA dots. I guess either they don't or this one chose not to. Either way nevermind then.

That was really just a baseline to construct this article with, so I doubt they were too concerned with updating that thread.

Most the general advice in that article can apply to the Battle Tree, though a few things are outdated. (i.e. Level 1 Aron doesn't work as well since Z-moves can pierce Protect.)

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Haha the current global mission

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

LEGO Genetics posted:

Regarding counterpicks; We've known since Emerald that the Frontier/Tower/Subway/Maison has been a bunch of cheating BS that only the AI can access

I didn't know the AI had access to Tapus and ultra beasts.

On that note, I didn't know that Tapus were legal so all mine have bad natures.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

You're able to download the Mewtwonite X and Y if you enter the code M2DESCENT into the Mystery Gift page.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Diet Poison posted:

It sure seems like it when you get three all-ice teams in a row because and, unrelated, you lead with Garchomp. But I'm willing to believe it's just a thing that happens when you play Battle Tree again and again because damnit why can't I win 50 in a row I'm better than this.

Garchomp can learn Fire Fang with a Heart Scale.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Hrist posted:

I am still convinced gen 6 would read your inputs, and not decide it's moves until after you locked yours in. I know it's probably not true, but gen 6 was way more brutal, and it's easy for me to believe.

I feel like it does this with my Substitutes but then sometimes it doesn't.

LEGO Genetics posted:

Some say adaptive AI, I say how the gently caress do all these different trainers in game know exactly what Pokémon to break my streak when it makes no logical sense for "Hiker Mike" to know anything about the team that "Scientist Jack" just battled.

Aliens.

Hiker Mike's from Mars.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Zuzie posted:

You're able to download the Mewtwonite X and Y if you enter the code M2DESCENT into the Mystery Gift page.

Cool. Now I guess I'll need to spend some more time in Kanto with HeartGold this month.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mierenneuker posted:

Cool. Now I guess I'll need to spend some more time in Kanto with HeartGold this month.

Speaking of which, I wish they'd do another post-game like Gold and Silver did again (that is, basically a whole new game with 8 more badges to collect).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 3, 2017

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Larryb posted:

Speaking of which, I wish they'd do another post-game like Gold and Silver did again (that is, basically a whole new game with 8 more badges to collect).

i prefer one good region to 2 mediocre ones, personally

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Because I'm going through it right now (and it's terrible), I'm glad they don't.

Having expansive postgame areas like Gen 5 is much more preferable.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
is there a johto ds game hack that makes the game good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

It's probably infeasible in this day and age. They would have to focus on making 2 whole regions, which would take a lot more time nowadays. Kanto was a nice bonus, but you have to remember it was fairly barebones in the original game. HGSS spruced it up a bit, but even then it's fairly empty.