Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

a bone to pick posted:

hack that fucker and get monster hunter, mario kart, smash, and the mario party games

Also I remember the Quake port with motion control aiming was pretty cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

what are "redneck inspired events"

is this like splinter cell but with cliven bundy infiltrating an oregon wildlife refuge?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

His Purple Majesty posted:

I'm going to buy a Wii for $40 what should I do/ buy for it?

Get resident evil 4, wii zombie headshots feel so good.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Code Jockey posted:

Also I remember the Quake port with motion control aiming was pretty cool

I remember some shooter where you could use a sword that people were gushing about when the wii got released, imo nintendo consoles are best for couch-multiplayer games though

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

metroid prime is so good! i'm playing the first one for the first time thanks to dolphin emulator and the controls suck and the graphics suck but it is awesome.

will the switch have a metroid game?

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky
My brother asked me yesterday if I would go halves with him on buying the Nintendo Switch and the thought of getting this amazing console for half the price compelled me to say no.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I wanted to love Metroid Prime but the controls just pissed me off too much. Then some Nintendo fanboy told me the problem was that I was treating it like an FPS and not an adventure game and I got :confused:

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

WhyteRyce posted:

I wanted to love Metroid Prime but the controls just pissed me off too much. Then some Nintendo fanboy told me the problem was that I was treating it like an FPS and not an adventure game and I got :confused:
It was meant to be played via targetting not like you would Doom so yeah apparently you're like the one person who didn't figure that.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

WhyteRyce posted:

i'm having the same issue. the other thing that ruins it for people used to playing FPS games is you rely on auto-targeting instead of your counter strike mouse aim SkiLlZ

but the game is really good anyway somehow. i haven't decided why i like it yet.

Edit: poop beaten

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Its sad because both the gamecube and wii controls for it suck

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

LethalGeek posted:

It was meant to be played via targetting not like you would Doom so yeah apparently you're like the one person who didn't figure that.

I understood the targeting I just didn't like very much and my issues were more than just the pew pew pew parts

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007

Professor SJW posted:

metroid prime is so good! i'm playing the first one for the first time thanks to dolphin emulator and the controls suck and the graphics suck but it is awesome.

will the switch have a metroid game?

how good is the emulator?

I would love to play through this and a few other games again, would actually use my gamecube but lost the memory card :/

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

BoonyPC posted:

I would love to play through this and a few other games again, would actually use my gamecube but lost the memory card :/

it's really, really good. much better and easier than i expected it to be. you might have to fiddle with graphics options for certain games but you just google "[name of game] settings" and there's a wiki entry right there for every game and the best way to run it

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

BoonyPC posted:

Wii/Gamecube works better on emulation than N64 does, some how

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Rutibex posted:

Wii/Gamecube works better on emulation than N64 does, some how

Pretty sure it's due to the N64 running on some really complex/weird hardware

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Trunko posted:

My body is ready, as they say.

Don't steal my posts, dillweed.

I found a horsey.

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.

Lodin posted:

I found a horsey.

Does pressing A make the horse mount you? Because if so, I'm getting in line right now.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Cell shading (isn't that what that style of graphics is called?) looks so dumb now and are used to mask the fact that the game has bad graphics and that makes me sad

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Cell shading (isn't that what that style of graphics is called?) looks so dumb now and are used to mask the fact that the game has bad graphics and that makes me sad

720p and almost 30fps the wave of the future is here

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Know what else looks dumb? Your loving posts, mate.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Lodin posted:

I found a horsey.

minecraft 2 lookin' good

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

WhyteRyce posted:

720p and almost 30fps the wave of the future is here

The system can't even handle 900p. While Sony and Microsoft are working on 4k. But I'm sure third parties will port over their major releases!

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
So it's like GTA, but with an elf? I have to get this now.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Professor SJW posted:

what are "redneck inspired events"

is this like splinter cell but with cliven bundy infiltrating an oregon wildlife refuge?

waggle the wiimote to tie a noose
press A to lynch

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Codependent Poster posted:

The system can't even handle 900p. While Sony and Microsoft are working on 4k. But I'm sure third parties will port over their major releases!

They got Skyrim. Maybe if they are lucky they can get FO3 port in a year or two???

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Can't wait to get the switch in two years (that's consoles shelf life right?) And this dumb Zelda game for a grand total of 100 USD.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Codependent Poster posted:

I mean if they actually get decent third party support for once then good for them, but what third party games are people buying in droves anymore? Call of Duty? Battlefield? I can't remember the last multiplatform third party game I bought... Shovel Knight?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

People promised me a Wii U fire sale but it's still $200ish

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

a bone to pick posted:

I remember some shooter where you could use a sword that people were gushing about when the wii got released, imo nintendo consoles are best for couch-multiplayer games though

Red Steel

e: I thought it was Killer7, but apparently that was a completely unrelated Gamecube game.

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 3, 2017

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I'll never forgive Nintendo for not making an excellent sword fighting game for the Wii and that's real loving talk.

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.
http://www.polygon.com/2017/3/2/14790702/nintendo-switch-game-saves-backup-sd-card

Game saves cannot be copied off the internal storage (not even to a memory card) and there is no cloud storage. If your console dies, all your saves die along with it. On an ostensibly portable device.

For those keeping track, functionality wise this puts the Switch behind not only the PlayStation 1, but also every other Nintendo system since.

lol.

Serak fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Mar 3, 2017

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Serak posted:

http://www.polygon.com/2017/3/2/14790702/nintendo-switch-game-saves-backup-sd-card

Game saves cannot be copied off the internal storage (not even to a memory card) and there is no cloud storage. If your console dies, all your saves die along with it. On an ostensibly portable device.

For those keeping track, functionality wise this puts the Switch behind not only the PlayStation 1, but also every other Nintendo system since.

lol.

Nintendoes it again! How is the Games thread spinning this one?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Nintendon't copy that floppy.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Batterypowered7 posted:

Nintendoes it again! How is the Games thread spinning this one?

The main thread is closed until launch but ya this is some dumb poo poo they need to address.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

The console is basically still in software beta like the wii U was. Us dumbasses who keep buying these things early are used to this crap, it typically gets fixed in a few months.

Also man these Zelda reviews are crazy

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Tiny Lowtax posted:

I was going to say what's wrong with the graphics it looks like Windows 95 in 16-bit "high color" mode.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Tiny Lowtax posted:

i can't speak for everyone but making a 3D thing look "cell-shaded" is incredibly easy and lazy, I've worked on some cell shaded stuff that made me want to tear my eyes out

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

I'm going to play the new Zelda in 1 min when the update finishes

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016
breath of the wild is yet another zelda game, that looks like zelda, plays like zelda, loving quacks like zelda

but you dingdongs haven't had another zelda in five years so okay time to do some backflips for iwata-san a one, a two, a god drat it my lovely wireless wagglestick desynced again but seriously fellas, zelda game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

I AM THE TOILET posted:

breath of the wild is yet another zelda game, that looks like zelda, plays like zelda, loving quacks like zelda

but you dingdongs haven't had another zelda in five years so okay time to do some backflips for iwata-san a one, a two, a god drat it my lovely wireless wagglestick desynced again but seriously fellas, zelda game

Take a drat chill pill

• Locked thread