Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

What's the battery life on that thing?

2 or 3 hours if you're playing a resource-intensive game, don't know how long outside of that for the reasons stated above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I think it would be funny to shell out a bunch of money for a HOTAS Warthog and then tape myself exclusively playing 90s rail shooters on it.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Casimir Radon posted:

I think it would be funny to shell out a bunch of money for a HOTAS Warthog and then tape myself exclusively playing 90s rail shooters on it.

Agreed, but I think you should wait until a new model comes out, then do this and post a link to one of these videos on a flight sim forum saying it's your "review".

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Powered Descent posted:

Well, now that you HAVE done it, we're going to need a trip report. Fire up "After Egypt" and communicate with God already!

That is why I installed it, but there is no After Egypt installed and I have no clue how to get it.

I have probably sinned and God doesn't love me.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Casimir Radon posted:

drat it. I should have asked if this ran Windows when I flew it. We could have installed an FPS and had a crazy old time.
That's not to say I didn't have an amazing time as it was.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Gromit posted:

drat it. I should have asked if this ran Windows when I flew it. We could have installed an FPS and had a crazy old time.

Sigh....... Another sad example of white washing

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Gromit posted:

lol silly aussies that's not what a helicopter looks like

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Buttcoin purse posted:

Agreed, but I think you should wait until a new model comes out, then do this and post a link to one of these videos on a flight sim forum saying it's your "review".
"The question you might be asking is will this take my Rebel Assault game to the next level? The answer is yes! Which is also the answer to should I buy it."

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Casimir Radon posted:

"The question you might be asking is will this take my Rebel Assault game to the next level? The answer is yes! Which is also the answer to should I buy it."
I would absolutely watch a YouTube channel involving the use of peripherals in blatantly incorrect circumstances and the reviewer playing it straight.

"Though it has a steep learning curve, I can definitely recommend the Atari Paddle for office productivity."

No, never mind, now I just want a game-like peripheral with office functionality. Maybe that one mouse Lazy Game Reviews looked at that had like 32 buttons, except as a steering wheel.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Dr. Quarex posted:

I would absolutely watch a YouTube channel involving the use of peripherals in blatantly incorrect circumstances and the reviewer playing it straight.

"Though it has a steep learning curve, I can definitely recommend the Atari Paddle for office productivity."

No, never mind, now I just want a game-like peripheral with office functionality. Maybe that one mouse Lazy Game Reviews looked at that had like 32 buttons, except as a steering wheel.

http://imgur.com/KOd5pYc?r

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

spog posted:

Good News Everyone!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/02/27/the_psions_is_back_meet_gemini/

Downside: $399 is only the backer price and full retail is going to be $650, which is too much.
The Indiegogo price is much more tempting, but no way would I buy hardware version 1.0 of anything
Couldn't you achieve the same thing much easier by just making the keyboard part and having it attach to an off the shelf smartphone?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
This will do nicely, yes.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Dr. Quarex posted:

I have that mouse's trackball cousin.

I'm thinking about asking if Clint wants to borrow it for a video.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

I know someone with a new expensive-looking setup with a racing wheel, pedals, gaming seat and 4 monitors. Seems ideal for driving jeeps and tanks in Battlefield 1942.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

The original in all its 2002 glory, I assume?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Computer viking posted:

The original in all its 2002 glory, I assume?

Bf1942 best Bf

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

tactlessbastard posted:

Bf1942 best Bf

This post is not an emptyquote.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

tactlessbastard posted:

Bf1942 best Bf

It's a nice red.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Typical Pubbie posted:

NextGen was the first gaming mag I ever bought with my own allowance.

The early to mid 90s were a special time for GAMES JOURNALISM. You could open any issue of any magazine and see previews for games on a dozen different systems. The range of graphics capabilities and design features/gimmicks was ridiculous. Plus all the crazy import poo poo from Japan.

Somewhere in my parents' attic I have the complete run of the 1980's version of Electronic Games magazine. It's a treasure trove of info about those old gaming systems and computers around in those days. I guess the magazine was revived in the 90's for a few years, but then changed it's name to Fusion.

Yes, I'm replying to a post from over a year ago, I got way behind on reading this thread.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Enter magazine all the way.

archive.org has the entire run:
https://archive.org/details/enter-magazine

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Dangit man. I really feel like my entire life would have made more sense if I had been born about 5 years earlier. I remember finding some old mid-1980s issues of 3-2-1 Contact with endlessly fascinating computer-based sections that I now realize were the remnants of the recently-folded Enter magazine.

I bet that 16-year-old caught by the FBI posts in this thread.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

I love that Enter magazine cover, if only because the lone FBI agent in a trenchcoat and a fedora walking in some kid's room and flashing his badge thing feels so hilariously outdated nowadays.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Was kinda disappointed there isn't a 3-2-1 Contact archive. I had a big ol' nerdy subscription to that thing and I loved it. Bloodhound Gang, The Slipped Disk, mysterious and fascinating reviews for PC games that I had zero chance of ever playing (I remember that they panned Elite, but it sounded damned fascinating and I would sketch elaborate Elite cockpit designs on my 2nd grade homework, trying to imagine how it would play).

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

3-2-1 Contact was such a great show.

Team Trini for lyfe!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyaS7oyerac

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Dr. Quarex posted:

I bet that 16-year-old caught by the FBI posts in this thread.

I don't even know what you're referencing and I would put money on that kid posts religiously on Reddit.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Star Man posted:

I would put money on that kid posts religiously on Reddit.

That's a safe bet. I'm not touching it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Robnoxious posted:

Team Trini for lyfe!

I didn't catch tokany of the episodes, but gently caress if I don't remember that awesome late 70s/early 80s sound.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Skoll posted:

That's a safe bet. I'm not touching it.

Exactly.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Robnoxious posted:

Team Trini for lyfe!

Random childhood memory -- the microwave oven that we had when I was a kid was programmed so that zero was a second that it would cook through. In precise terms, the "done" beep would go off at minus one, not at zero. So if we happened to be paying attention, the end of the microwave cooking cycle matched up perfectly with the 3-2-1 Contact theme.

:v: Three!
:v: Two!
:v: One!
(boom, boom boom)
:awesomelon: BEEEEEEEEEEP

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

All the coolest hackers had one of these with a dial up and an Ethernet card. Cyberpunk as gently caress.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

nowadays I just use the PCMCIA slot on my laptop to hold my chewing gum

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Ruflux posted:

I love that Enter magazine cover, if only because the lone FBI agent in a trenchcoat and a fedora walking in some kid's room and flashing his badge thing feels so hilariously outdated nowadays.

As someone in the industry, I can tell you this is pretty much how it is.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Gromit posted:

Actual file photo of the arrest of Ross Ulbricht

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

yoloer420 posted:

All the coolest hackers had one of these with a dial up and an Ethernet card. Cyberpunk as gently caress.

One of my friends whom has a NETWORKING SECURITY DEGREE bought a fuckin' netbook just so he can turn it into a "hackputer". This guy knows more about computers and networking and stuff like that than I ever will but I still found it loving adorable.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
drat this thread making me long for my younger self. :)

Its cool though, seeing all this old stuff and the memories it brings up.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Gromit posted:

I'm not sure what is more compelling - the amphibious helicopter or the weirdly consistent eyesocket deformations.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Gromit posted:

You'll never catch Cyber Dahmer, you pig!

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Skoll posted:

One of my friends whom has a NETWORKING SECURITY DEGREE bought a fuckin' netbook just so he can turn it into a "hackputer". This guy knows more about computers and networking and stuff like that than I ever will but I still found it loving adorable.

Everyone I know just uses a MacBook for their hacking now. It's kinda boring.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I loved my netbook, it was so awesome and tiny and portable.

Then I got a smartphone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

KozmoNaut posted:

I loved my netbook, it was so awesome and tiny and portable.

Then I got a smartphone.

I used to bluetooth tether my netbook to my HTC Windows Mobile 5 phone and play Toribash online when I worked as a projectionist at the local movie theater.

The netbook was very slow, and the Sprint internet service was laggy, but Toribash was turn based and low end so it worked out great.