Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Cold on a Cob posted:

lol if you don't work for a company you hate, like a good little german

:(

every paycheck is a little autoerotic schadenfreude :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

oh boy today we're holding a scrum using the canadian tc system, where every voice prompt is unskippable and bilingual

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
yesterday's webex: a full minute of mixed dead air, whispered "come on"s and a blank screen as someone tried to put their powerpoint up on the screen

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
also during last week's webex (the pizza one) the presenter unmuted everyone and, in trying to fix it, muted themselves for a full five minutes

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe
every time i'm in a webex and something doesn't work out right i think of this thread and i smile

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

abraham linkedin posted:

every time i'm in a webex and something doesn't work out right i think of this thread and i smile

another yospos success story

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
a townhall with a webex, a crying baby, and an erotically breathing man

a story in two acts

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

Mad Wack posted:

a crying baby, and an erotically breathing man

:stonk:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

for sale, telepresence cart with hardware - never used

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

sounds like one of those harvard comma sentences

"a webex with my boss, a crying baby and an erotically breathing man"

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
"Darmok and Jalad in WebEx. Temba, his microphone unmuted."

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
we use readytalk which is a cheap webex knockoff and it works fine. i'm in software sales though so my whole life is web meetings so i'm used to setting them up. anyone hosting who isn't on the line 5-10 minutes ahead of time to set everything up is an rear end in a top hat. i love when the customer asks to use their web meeting software because you know they'll gently caress it up but i've been on so many calls i can usually talk them through making me the presenter fairly painlessly.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

had to google but, perfect.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Feb 28, 2017

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Was on a webex today with a bunch of people, maybe 30, and some guy was very clearly whacking it on his end.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
i was just told that this amazon S3 outage is loving up webex

i think we can all agree that's basically worth the other aggravation.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

Cocoa Crispies posted:

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I did not know until today that if you're viewing multiple people's webcams you cannot stop WebEx from flicking manically back and forth between who it thinks is talking, unless the host picks one to show everybody.

It's a little frustrating when we're having a conversation between me, one guy in another office and then 5 people in a 3rd office that I'd really like to just keep on the screen. It completely loses its poo poo if people start talking over each other.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
skype 4 biz does the same thing, very poorly; it would attempt to zoom in on the person talking but would usually get it wrong and focus on the table, someone walking by in the background, etc, and would take 2-3 seconds at a time so it was a non-stop pan and zoom of the image when you had 4+ people on each end

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

KoRMaK posted:

for sale, telepresence cart with hardware - never used

Cocoa Crispies posted:

weird coworker, his camera unblockable!
cisco, when the share froze…

chmods please posted:

skype 4 biz does the same thing, very poorly; it would attempt to zoom in on the person talking but would usually get it wrong and focus on the table, someone walking by in the background, etc, and would take 2-3 seconds at a time so it was a non-stop pan and zoom of the image when you had 4+ people on each end

this is one thing ichat nailed and apple undid with facetime: multiple video chat participants were arranged in a circle like those fancy cisco tables and then when people would look to their left or right the video feed matched it so it was like a circle of people talking

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

my cio wants to move us all to a whatsapp "push" community

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Mad Wack posted:

my cio wants to move us all to a whatsapp "push" community

confirmed performance art piece jk rip op

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
so part of what we're building includes a people search / employee directory function. we're a week and a half from go live of the whole thing.

it got pointed out today that our HR folks have a naughty bad data practice, which is that to maintain certain special employee codes, they edit job descriptions and titles to include them. for some of these statuses, like retirees on pension, this isn't so big a deal: it just lists them as JOE Q BABYBOOMER, DBA, Retiree.

it also, however, lists people that are on severance, on leave, blah blah. the fix is to get them to stop doing so, but w/e.

to demonstrate this, over the screen sharing, someone brought up an employee they knew to have been canned and on severance. that employee was the Director that had formerly been the business owner of the project, fired because (among other reasons) the project had been kind of a poo poo show because he'd just halfassed it the whole way through

good team building moment there.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Iridium posted:

so part of what we're building includes a people search / employee directory function. we're a week and a half from go live of the whole thing.

it got pointed out today that our HR folks have a naughty bad data practice, which is that to maintain certain special employee codes, they edit job descriptions and titles to include them. for some of these statuses, like retirees on pension, this isn't so big a deal: it just lists them as JOE Q BABYBOOMER, DBA, Retiree.

it also, however, lists people that are on severance, on leave, blah blah. the fix is to get them to stop doing so, but w/e.

to demonstrate this, over the screen sharing, someone brought up an employee they knew to have been canned and on severance. that employee was the Director that had formerly been the business owner of the project, fired because (among other reasons) the project had been kind of a poo poo show because he'd just halfassed it the whole way through

good team building moment there.

why is everything about your company so terrible

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Captain Foo posted:

why is everything about your company so terrible

it's not, i just don't bitch about the good poo poo here.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

we are implementing multi-factor authentication, affecting sharepoint, skype for business, and outlook. the preferred method is via the microsoft authenticator mobile app, so you just click "approve" in the notification when logging in.

an admin assistant in the technology department does not have a cellphone, so can't use the app, cell call or text message options. there is an option to call a different number, but our office phones are all lync phones tied into skype, so you can see why this is an issue.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

The Aphasian posted:

we are implementing multi-factor authentication, affecting sharepoint, skype for business, and outlook. the preferred method is via the microsoft authenticator mobile app, so you just click "approve" in the notification when logging in.

an admin assistant in the technology department does not have a cellphone, so can't use the app, cell call or text message options. there is an option to call a different number, but our office phones are all lync phones tied into skype, so you can see why this is an issue.

Because the phones don't work or because each button press is a new SIP session?

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

oh, sorry, caught up in the panic mode of the emergency reactive roll-out.
1. microsoft docs say it's a no-no
2. we aren't fully azure-cloud and the hybrid environment is causing issues with everything anyway, so maybe it should be fine?

so far one of the users i helped didn't know where his app store was, didn't know how to search in the app store, and then didn't know his app store password, so we had to opt for texted codes. thankfully, he literally had his cell number written out and taped to the back of his phone so we could get that set up.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

The Aphasian posted:

thankfully, he literally had his cell number written out and taped to the back of his phone so we could get that set up.

:vince:

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

The Aphasian posted:

why dont you just give the assistant a phone?

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Corla Plankun posted:

why dont you just give the assistant a phone?

it is a point of contention; she adamantly does not want one.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
fire that assistant and hire an one that is capable of assisting

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Corla Plankun posted:

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

The Aphasian posted:

it is a point of contention; she adamantly does not want one.
is this one of those "if they give me a phone, I suddenly am on call 24/7" kind of things?

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Corla Plankun posted:

we kept the blackberry contract, offered support, and integrated (kind of) with our system for years after we should have because three people refused to give theirs up because they liked the keyboard. the cost per user in $, time, and headaches was hilarious.

there are several people in the building who should have been fired years ago, have had consultancies come in to improve their performance and have multiple people quit, citing them as the reason, but they stick around.

welcome to corporate.

Azathoth posted:

is this one of those "if they give me a phone, I suddenly am on call 24/7" kind of things?

not sure, just that she's a known issue, one of those people who cause immediate eye rolls when her name comes up. this emergency roll-out is one of the few things i've been involved in in any type of help-desk capacity.

there's one specific vendor program that i generally support and mostly i'm a lowly boring data analyst.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

The Aphasian posted:

we kept the blackberry contract, offered support, and integrated (kind of) with our system for years after we should have because three people refused to give theirs up because they liked the keyboard. the cost per user in $, time, and headaches was hilarious.

there are several people in the building who should have been fired years ago, have had consultancies come in to improve their performance and have multiple people quit, citing them as the reason, but they stick around.

welcome to corporate.

oh hey that sounds like my old job

we were walking papers to people desks in 2015 because one guy preferred to fax to email instead of forwarding

yes you read that right and I didn't make a mistake, no it doesn't make sense

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
ya know sip is just loving terrible, basically.

gently caress sip

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

omfg when she found out she'd have to answer her desk phone and type in the code every time she logged into sharepoint she revealed she has a smartphone! jfc, she has claimed for years she doesn't have one and is unreachable outside of work, etc.

she had never updated it though, so we had to wait 10+ min for os updates before we could start.

the tech department is the worst for this thing, doctorates in electrical engineering, multiple patents, don't bring their cell with them. some of them have legitimate data collecting/vulnerability fears, but i'm sorry, we already live in 1984.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

The Aphasian posted:

omfg when she found out she'd have to answer her desk phone and type in the code every time she logged into sharepoint she revealed she has a smartphone! jfc, she has claimed for years she doesn't have one and is unreachable outside of work, etc.

she had never updated it though, so we had to wait 10+ min for os updates before we could start.

the tech department is the worst for this thing, doctorates in electrical engineering, multiple patents, don't bring their cell with them. some of them have legitimate data collecting/vulnerability fears, but i'm sorry, we already live in 1984.

hmm starting to sound like she owns actually

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

can your 2fa not realise that this person is logging in from your own office on the same machine they used yesterday or do you need to protect each session for a reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Syncopated posted:

hmm starting to sound like she owns actually

• Locked thread