Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST
Coming from carrying my USP which was smooth like butter even after 10k rounds through it, it was jarring to have a firearm not working right out of the box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

sky shark posted:

Coming from carrying my USP which was smooth like butter even after 10k rounds through it, it was jarring to have a firearm not working right out of the box.

HK products are just so loving smooth regardless of age. Every single one I have owner and/or shot has been super nice

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I've been reading about what parts people swap out in their SIGs, lighter springs (wolf springs I think) being among them. The ergo grip and short reset trigger seem popular. I'm going to put a bunch of rounds through it bone stock before even thinking about parts.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Yeah, it's not the best feeling in the world not having your firearm function correctly.

I find it a good excuse to just go shoot some more rounds because it's good fun.

If you like to tinker with your gats a caliper is always good especially if you're trying to find out things like if you've got a questionable magazine. Or figuring out why a replacement part won't fit.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
One time when I was re-qualifying for work my front sight fell off. :whitewater:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
At least I'm not the only one that's had fly-away sights syndrome.

Bonus points if yours was also a Rossi.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
My dad had a .22 Ruger Mark 3. Kept giving him poo poo because he kept shooting more and more to the right.

Then his back sight fell off.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

not caring here posted:

Yeah, it's not the best feeling in the world not having your firearm function correctly.

I find it a good excuse to just go shoot some more rounds because it's good fun.

If you like to tinker with your gats a caliper is always good especially if you're trying to find out things like if you've got a questionable magazine. Or figuring out why a replacement part won't fit.

Yeah, my Kahr CW380 had to go back to the factory 4 times before it would function right. At least on the last time they gave me $60-$70 worth of free magazines. Such a great little gun when reliable, although I'd have a hard time buying one of their products again. On top of that my SIG P290RS had a dead front night sight while my S&W M&P 9c had a front sight that was loose and slowly drifting off the gun.

All three of these guns had these issues in the same month. :saddowns:

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

My duty shotgun (Remington 870 Police Magnum) came in today, but I won't be able to get to the range to play with it for a week. :(

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Arc Light posted:

My duty shotgun (Remington 870 Police Magnum) came in today, but I won't be able to get to the range to play with it for a week. :(

I hate it when the tube sticks out further than the barrel. Just looks off. Otherwise I see fun in your future enjoy!

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

I'd never publicly admit it, but I'm nitpicky enough that it bugs me, too. I've never actually used a shotgun with that long a tube, so I'm kind of concerned that I'll scorch the poo poo out of the mag tube whenever I fire it.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Wood :flashfap:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Please, don't dignify the chintzy wood on new factory 870s. You can do much better with an old corncob stock set and a little effort.

Arc Light posted:

I've never actually used a shotgun with that long a tube, so I'm kind of concerned that I'll scorch the poo poo out of the mag tube whenever I fire it.

The powder residue should just wipe off.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Mar 3, 2017

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Hey how are ya

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

:getin:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Your carpet is gross

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Sure is! Good thing the landlord has it on the chopping block.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Nice fuckin gat though.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Stupid question: Where the gently caress did the expression "gat" come from?

I recall hearing it in gangster talk in movies or a show, or a rap song or something from my childhood, but google tells me it's either a term for gun under the prohibition period, or short from "gatling gun".

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Stupid question: Where the gently caress did the expression "gat" come from?

I recall hearing it in gangster talk in movies or a show, or a rap song or something from my childhood, but google tells me it's either a term for gun under the prohibition period, or short from "gatling gun".

Short for gatling gun, then became to mean any gun. Anything thats gangster phrasing is simply because it sounds cool or tough

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/gat

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Put 100 rds through the Shield 9 today.

:feelsgood:

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

The front night sight on my P290RS is dead for the second time. :saddowns:

I have zero luck with handguns.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Goddamn, steel targets are expensive. :(

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Yeah, no kidding. Totally worth it, though.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

For real, easily worth the weight penalty for the time you save walking back and forth to check the target.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Shooting steel targets is good prep for the eventual resistance after the machines first strike us.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Shooting steel targets is good prep for the eventual resistance after the machines first strike us.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

That's why I have a bit of API on hand. Never know when you might have to smoke a Decepticon.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The Rat posted:

For real, easily worth the weight penalty for the time you save walking back and forth to check the target.

Oh I don't care about that, I just didn't want to spend $500+ to have a handful of small targets set up. But I also don't want to deal with the kind of fragmentation/ricochet risk you get with non AR steel.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Godholio posted:

Oh I don't care about that, I just didn't want to spend $500+ to have a handful of small targets set up. But I also don't want to deal with the kind of fragmentation/ricochet risk you get with non AR steel.

I remember when i was a teenager we'd go shooting on the back acre of my grandparent's plantation. There was a really old iron washing machine with the hand crank thing on top and all, and my grand mother had put out there when she had gotten a brand new top loader from Maytag in the late 80s.

I had an idiot uncle go out with us once and he brought his side-by-side 12 gauge and my brother and I brought our .22s . We placed a thin wooden piece of siding with a paper target on top of it and leaned it on the washer.

We took pot shots at like 50 yards while my uncle took pulls from his tallboy of Busch beer. After about 15 minutes he then walked up to about 10 feet away from it and unloaded both barrels on it, caught a really bad ricochet from the bird-shot and dropped like a bag of rocks. Luckily it was low velocity when it came back, but he was bruised from nipple to belly button and crying as he rolled from side to side for the better part of 10 minutes

I learned some good stuff that day

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Godholio posted:

What's AR steel?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It stands for "abrasion resistance." The hardness of the steel is listed as AR400, AR500, etc. The higher the number, the harder the steel. Generally for handguns AR500 is good enough, AR550 for most rifles. You want the bullet to shatter on impact, not have any energy absorbed by the target. The fragments spray off radially almost 90* out from the angle of impact...I think there's about a 20* or 30* window, though. AR400 or other, softer steels will flex enough that the bullet may not entirely shatter, and can send fragments toward the shooter or spectators on the line. Thickness also plays a role...seems like most of these targets are about 3/8" thick. If you go too thin, flexing is again a problem.

Edit: Steel core or penetrator ammo is a whole other can of worms.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
That sound suspiciously like that tensalloy bastard stuff they use in mining. That makes sense.

Coupon
Jun 12, 2002

I picked this up a few weeks ago. I'm so-so on my optics choice, but love how the rifle shoots.

H&K MR556 with wood furniture. :downsrim:

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Booblord Zagats posted:

I remember when i was a teenager we'd go shooting on the back acre of my grandparent's plantation. There was a really old iron washing machine with the hand crank thing on top and all, and my grand mother had put out there when she had gotten a brand new top loader from Maytag in the late 80s.

I had an idiot uncle go out with us once and he brought his side-by-side 12 gauge and my brother and I brought our .22s . We placed a thin wooden piece of siding with a paper target on top of it and leaned it on the washer.

We took pot shots at like 50 yards while my uncle took pulls from his tallboy of Busch beer. After about 15 minutes he then walked up to about 10 feet away from it and unloaded both barrels on it, caught a really bad ricochet from the bird-shot and dropped like a bag of rocks. Luckily it was low velocity when it came back, but he was bruised from nipple to belly button and crying as he rolled from side to side for the better part of 10 minutes

I learned some good stuff that day

yea, dont drink and shoot

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

yea, dont drink and shoot

Look at this wanker with his lovely opinions.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

I'd argue, like with most hard and fast rules, that it probably never was meant to be applied to Hunter S Thompson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Hunter is a guy who exchanged gunfire with his neighbors on at least one occasion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHeSC_Ws5Ic