Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Sorry 'bout your cat, Timby. Always sad when a pet goes.

Unrelated, please don't associate the rest of this callous post with my totally authentic sympathy for Timby: I can't tell if I'm just super drunk in the afternoon or this video is everything I've ever wanted out of YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk2hfPWsFY4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I'm not sure whether to be disappointed or impressed with Get Out. It absolutely botches the big twist - but that big twist is, bafflingly, that it's not actually a film about racism; it's about elder abuse.

Like literally, the plot of the film is that all the black characters are actually just geriatric white people, being treated as if they were black by their own families. The black skin ends up serving as a misguided metaphor, along the lines of Lennon's "woman is the friend of the family of the world".

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
poo poo like this article makes Veep obsolete. “We cannot find the bill": inside the frantic hunt for the GOP Obamacare replacement

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

I'm the Lincoln bust Hoyer spoke to

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

well they tried telling us that government is inefficient and dumb

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

well they tried telling us that government is inefficient and dumb

leading by example

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

I didn't believe this until the periscope video holy poo poo

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I'm not sure whether to be disappointed or impressed with Get Out. It absolutely botches the big twist - but that big twist is, bafflingly, that it's not actually a film about racism; it's about elder abuse.

Like literally, the plot of the film is that all the black characters are actually just geriatric white people, being treated as if they were black by their own families. The black skin ends up serving as a misguided metaphor, along the lines of Lennon's "woman is the friend of the family of the world".

I thought that too, but someone responded that Grandma, being a proper 50s housewife, would love being the domestic center of her extended family, and a 50s-era man of the house would love to be in a healthy body where he could do all the outdoor chores he couldn't for a long time. Presumably, they drop the "you're the hired help" stuff when there are people who aren't in the know are around.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
In Get Out I thought they were just acting that way as a front for Chris and was more or a reflection on what they think is normal for how black people act and are treated rather than how things go when no one else is around. It's hard to say though because we never really see them outside of the context of how they act with Chris, except when they're trying to kill him at the end, at which point the little interaction they have with their still white family seems normal.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I didn't believe this until the periscope video holy poo poo

Link please

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

You are both disappointed and impressed. By being exactly what you expected, it fulfilled exactly the subversive purpose you didn't expect. Just like Fury Road.

It's still not a particularly well shot movie, so I dunno.

glam rock hamhock posted:

In Get Out I thought they were just acting that way as a front for Chris and was more or a reflection on what they think is normal for how black people act and are treated rather than how things go when no one else is around. It's hard to say though because we never really see them outside of the context of how they act with Chris, except when they're trying to kill him at the end, at which point the little interaction they have with their still white family seems normal.

Obscurantism - THE ULTIMATE SIN.

edited: my dog just farted directly on me - I love this little bastard

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

nah, it's not dumb, people stan for Criterion all the time. companies aren't just blindly fumbling around, if they have a philosophy you like and a track record you like feel free.

What is dumb is that I thought Annapurna and A24 were the same company until like last year.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Finally got around to watching The Raid, those people kicked a lot more than Judge Dredd. I give it 10/10 chokeslams.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

https://www.periscope.tv/w/1OwxWPvOXgpKQ

It's bananas. I keep expecting the camera to pan over to Julia Louis-Dreyfus looking panicked because she unwittingly used the bill to pad her bra or something.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Has there ever been a good Ozsploitation megathread in here like the "I guess everybody really WAS kung-fu fighting!" thread? It's a genre I know little about but I want to watch a bunch in the coming weeks. Aside from, like, Mad Max and The Cars that ate Paris, I don't know anything.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Has there ever been a good Ozsploitation megathread in here like the "I guess everybody really WAS kung-fu fighting!" thread? It's a genre I know little about but I want to watch a bunch in the coming weeks. Aside from, like, Mad Max and The Cars that ate Paris, I don't know anything.

I vaguely remember there being an Ozsploitation documentary that'll give you a whole bunch of recommendations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I vaguely remember there being an Ozsploitation documentary that'll give you a whole bunch of recommendations.

Not Quite Hollywood!

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

K. Waste posted:

You are both disappointed and impressed. By being exactly what you expected, it fulfilled exactly the subversive purpose you didn't expect. Just like Fury Road.

It's still not a particularly well shot movie, so I dunno.

It's terribly shot. Like passable for TV, a decade ago. From reactions and such as White's review, I was expecting a dangerous film. You know: powerful imagery deployed aimlessly. This didn't even have that.

I also don't see much subversion in what's ultimately the 'dramatic' flipside of white rappin' grandma shtick. Again, the point is literally that the neglected geriatrics are only truly free when they 'loosen up' and 'act black'. The protagonist only identifies with that woman's (old, white) husband when he has a nervous breakdown. "I recognize that guy." means "I recognize myself in that guy."

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Dissapointed Owl posted:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Not Quite Hollywood!

Perfect, thanks! I also looked at the Wiki entry on it and there's a bunch of reccos there.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

It's terribly shot. Like passable for TV, a decade ago. From reactions and such as White's review, I was expecting a dangerous film. You know: powerful imagery deployed aimlessly. This didn't even have that.

I also don't see much subversion in what's ultimately the 'dramatic' flipside of white rappin' grandma shtick. Again, the point is literally that the neglected geriatrics are only truly free when they 'loosen up' and 'act black'. The protagonist only identifies with that woman's (old, white) husband when he has a nervous breakdown. "I recognize that guy." means "I recognize myself in that guy."

One of you needs to vore the other or something.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Isn't that what we're witnessing?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Not Quite Hollywood!

There we go.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Magic Hate Ball posted:

One of you needs to vore the other or something.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Isn't that what we're witnessing?

Nope.

It's not subversive, that's just a liberal meme. It's a rudimentary film where the secret protagonist is the fat black TSA agent (Lil Rel) who is constantly telling Chris to not be like a stereotypical slasher film protagonist and get out of the scenario.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Spoilsport.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Oh man, I just realized I can download the original Silent Hill on my ps3.
:moustache:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

wyoming posted:

Oh man, I just realized I can download the original Silent Hill on my ps3.
:moustache:

If it's from the HD remaster I remember hearing that it was terribly done.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Sorry, I'm still pre' wasted, I'd gladly cannibalize SMG's (and YOUR) rear end in a top hat if given a proper second chance.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Remaster was only 2 and 3. Literally just the psx game is up for download.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Timby posted:

Spike, you are end of watch.

:cry:

Nooooo. :(

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

wyoming posted:

Remaster was only 2 and 3. Literally just the psx game is up for download.

Oh, then you're fine.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

K. Waste posted:

It's not subversive, that's just a liberal meme. It's a rudimentary film where the secret protagonist is the fat black TSA agent (Lil Rel) who is constantly telling Chris to not be like a stereotypical slasher film protagonist and get out of the scenario.

The thing is that neither character actually understands what's going on - even after Chris is explicitly told. TSA Guy goes to the end thinking old white ladies are in a terrorist conspiracy, that they're brainwashing black men into becoming sex slaves, etc. Of course what's actually happening is that younger white people are 'bodywashing' their unlovable geriatric relatives into becoming black. The old are being socially pressured or outright forced into undergoing this cosmetic surgery, but Chris chooses to escape from this truth, into TSA Guy's conspiracy theorism.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

The thing is that neither character actually understands what's going on - even after Chris is explicitly told. TSA Guy goes to the end thinking old white ladies are in a terrorist conspiracy, that they're brainwashing black men into becoming sex slaves, etc. Of course what's actually happening is that younger white people are 'bodywashing' their unlovable geriatric relatives into becoming black. The old are being socially pressured or outright forced into undergoing this cosmetic surgery, but Chris chooses to escape from this truth, into TSA Guy's conspiracy theorism.

I mean, who can blame him? The most terrifying realization would be that younger white people are unconsciously becoming more racist than their parents. At least this way he gets to latch onto that ironically sympathetic image of his girlfriend dying of the shotgun wound, a parallel of the doe that she hit with her own car.

I guess "stay woke" really just translate to "keep dreaming."

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
The text doesn't support SMG's interpretation. It'll have to point to some specific example from the film that there is any forcing going on or that the old people are not happy where they are. But in any case such a claim would only apply to the grandmother and grandfather. The man who was to take over Chris certainly was not being forced to, let alone everyone else who was there specifically to bid on him.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Get Out is a really good film about the effects of passively accepting white liberal tolerance. It draws a direct connection between sitting and watching people talk loudly about how much they loved Obama, trying hard not to criticise them, ignoring their weirder outbursts where they try to make you change aspects of yourself, and becoming a hollowed-out husk of a person merely enacting other people's values for their approval.

It functions very well in the way all good horror films do where you can replace the violence/twists/fantastical content with a version of the film that still contains the same ideas. The body horror, hypnosis and Deer Imagery (and this movie has the bestest deer imagery I've seen in awhile) are just more blunt expressions of the same phenomena, like how ghosts stand for events of the past literally haunting people, et cetera.

The film could straight up not have a twist, and just be a relationship drama in which Chris discovers he can't deal with faux-tolerant white people, and functionally tell the same story. The TSA agent is 'the real protagonist' in this version of the film too, where he functions as the voice in the main character's head, afraid that he's going to be 'made into' another bougie suburbanite. It functions quite a lot like a Key and Peele sketch, taking real circumstances and extrapolating them into a metaphor, but for vastly different effect here.

I'm not normally one to disagree with K.Waste and SMG, who are two of my Real Dads, but I liked this movie a lot. I probably benefit from seeing it in the theatre with a significant other with a lifetime of dealing with american middle class white liberalism.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I spent the first half of Get Out (2017, DP Toby Oliver) thinking wow, this is really an effective film despite the twist being a foregone conclusion. Then OH gently caress HOLY poo poo THERE WAS A REAL TWIST I DID NOT SEE THAT COMING

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
YTOTD: so anyway here's leni riefenstahl's movie about fish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty7IS0XOv50

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Mar 3, 2017

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

corn in the bible posted:

anyway here's leni riefenstahl's movie about fish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty7IS0XOv50

Declare thyself a YTotD, or I shall so declare thee

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I wish I understood why I don't really have a lot of motivation to see Logan. I'm sure it'll kill at the box office and I'll enjoy it enough to see it when I do as a tentpole movie-goer, but man, there's nothing I've seen that made me interested.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

I wish I understood why I don't really have a lot of motivation to see Logan. I'm sure it'll kill at the box office and I'll enjoy it enough to see it when I do as a tentpole movie-goer, but man, there's nothing I've seen that made me interested.

This is a joke post right?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MisterBibs posted:

I mean, it probably just doesn't look like your thing? Gritty, ultraviolent post-apocalyptic movies aren't everyone's bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Mr Bibbs needs to find out for SURE if it'll do well at the box office before he decides whether to see it

• Locked thread