Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I'm replaying resident evil 7 and I knew Jack was going to come busting out of the wall but it still made me jump. Also I got my foot cut off - which is something that didn't happen to me in my first play through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I played through the Goosebumps point and click adventure game from a couple of years ago, and it was pretty good. It felt like one of the books, and the trophy names were all references to different books. There were a lot of different monsters and plenty of ways to die. It was pretty solid, if a little short, and the puzzles weren't really too bad, either.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

scarycave posted:

Also I got my foot cut off - which is something that didn't happen to me in my first play through.

Wait what?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Morpheus posted:

Wait what?

Yeah if Jack catches you early and "kills" you, he can cut off your leg and lets you drag yourself across the floor to retrieve it and a first aid med he lays on the floor while he watches you squirm.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I played like 20 minutes of RE7 the other night and even though loving nothing happened at all it was still genuinely frightening. I can't wait to dig into it deeper soon, the game has a crazy tense atmosphere.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The atmosphere died for me when I tossed some bleach onto my arm stump and powered on like a trooper. It's a pretty silly game. :v:

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

The atmosphere died for me when I tossed some bleach onto my arm stump and powered on like a trooper. It's a pretty silly game. :v:

I quite liked that wounds persist until you do. Even those of different types like cuts and insect bites.
I'm currently replaying it on madhouse mode and the 'directors cut' style remixing of the experience has been a neat way to kind of play it fresh a second time.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Sad lions posted:

I quite liked that wounds persist until you do. Even those of different types like cuts and insect bites.

I was honestly kind of scared about saving because I thought my character was either poisoned or going to die from that. That whole section made me feel really unclean.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

marshmallow creep posted:

Yeah if Jack catches you early and "kills" you, he can cut off your leg and lets you drag yourself across the floor to retrieve it and a first aid med he lays on the floor while he watches you squirm.

like how it explains the medicine in universe. Herbs and 'chemicals' somehow make an amazing concoction that seals wounds closed within seconds! Why? Who cares! That is how you heal now.

Kiebland
Feb 22, 2012
My personal theory is that you're infected just like they are, but haven't been around Eveline long enough for the mind control part to start.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Kiebland posted:

My personal theory is that you're infected just like they are, but haven't been around Eveline long enough for the mind control part to start.

That's absolutely what's going on. Being "part of the family" means you're infected with the mold, which is why you can block almost anything with your forearm and recover completely from your hand or foot being cut off and stapled back on.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Can you complete the game having your limbs cut off?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

J.A.B.C. posted:

like how it explains the medicine in universe. Herbs and 'chemicals' somehow make an amazing concoction that seals wounds closed within seconds! Why? Who cares! That is how you heal now.

That's because Chris, Leon and Helena were all idiots just smashing herbs together. You gotta combine them with mysterious fluid pouches first and then they become super potent.

In another three games, we might find something strong enough to fix people after they inject viruses and produce 40 times their body mass inexplicably. Considering that's how science works in the RE universe I was just like 'eh, sure' when you get your hand back after you got Mia'd.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Science is basically magic in Resident Evil. It's pretty much always been this way and I love it.
The only point that was ever too much for me was Giant Robot Statue Salazar.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Fried Watermelon posted:

I think you always loose your hand during Mia's attack in the beginning/spoiler] but you can avoid getting your [spoiler]foot cut off if you manage to find a good place to hide and avoid Daddy (which I failed to do on my second playthrough).
I don't think you ever lose limbs after that though.

Sad lions posted:

Science is basically magic in Resident Evil. It's pretty much always been this way and I love it.

I failed the qte because I was so absolutely dumbstruck by that. RE4 is the best. :allears:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Sad lions posted:

Before this you discover you can suplex fools and that Salazar has both a lava room and a subway so honestly I would've been disappointed if the statue hadn't been a robot.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Fried Watermelon posted:

When your hand gets cut off at the beginning, getting it put back on is scripted. When your foot gets cut off either at the beginning by Jack or later on by a blade-armed molded, you die if you don't put it back on fast enough. Or, at least, you can't stop the molded from killing you on account of crawling around on the ground like an idiot

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
My favorite bit of ephemera in RE7 may be the text log you can find where the characters acknowledge the insane environmental puzzles they're putting you through. I think it literally says "Hey, remember to hide the third dog head plaque in the basement to stop people from unlocking the front door and running away".

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

haveblue posted:

My favorite bit of ephemera in RE7 may be the text log you can find where the characters acknowledge the insane environmental puzzles they're putting you through. I think it literally says "Hey, remember to hide the third dog head plaque in the basement to stop people from unlocking the front door and running away".

There's also a billing invoice from a construction company for installing secret doors that are opened by shadow puppetry.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

muscles like this! posted:

The rumor at the time was that the video they put out was literally all there was.

I remember people being upset that it was Prey In Name Only, so the folks in charge said that they were going to retool things so that they could add Tommy and those formerly-Native-American-folks-who-have-lived-on-the-sphere-for-generations folks to it, then poo poo went dark.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Sad lions posted:

A friend who had never played RE but was getting into it thanks to 7 asked me to explain the story to him. He's playing them backwards now and is on four and I'm trying to convince him not to keep on going but he seems to think it's so hilarious he wants to.

For me, one of the weirdest moments in the story will always be the character they introduced in the remake of the first game solely as a hamfisted explanation for how the virus magic happened. You see, Wesker kidnapped the daughter of the man who made the mystery mansion and was like "Hey man, check out this girl I stole" to his best buddy William Birkin. Birkin being a creeper just started injecting her with every magical virus he had until she grew eyes all over the place and became immortal. He thought that was rad and used her blood to make the G-Virus which he then injected himself with and turned into a giant eye growing monster that impregnates his own daughter. :thumbsup:

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

The silliest moment in the Resident Evil games is when Chris is trying to push a boulder and decides that his life will be easier if he works a couple of jabs to its stomach in. Like, work the body Chris, that'll help.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

rydiafan posted:

The silliest moment in the Resident Evil games is when Chris is trying to push a boulder and decides that his life will be easier if he works a couple of jabs to its stomach in. Like, work the body Chris, that'll help.

it worked

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Leavemywife posted:

It'll be called Pr3y.

And then follow in the footsteps of Thi4f!

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

Who What Now posted:

There's also a billing invoice from a construction company for installing secret doors that are opened by shadow puppetry.

The billing invoice is for a company called "Trevor & Chamberlain's Construction". George Trevor was the guy who constructed the Resident Evil 1 puzzle filled mansion. Apparently before he died, he founded a company that just installs weird rear end puzzle and emblem doors for residencies.

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

Nohman posted:

The billing invoice is for a company called "Trevor & Chamberlain's Construction". George Trevor was the guy who constructed the Resident Evil 1 puzzle filled mansion. Apparently before he died, he founded a company that just installs weird rear end puzzle and emblem doors for residencies.

If this company actually existed, I would legit at least get a few door or cabinets built by them. There's no way that wouldn't be an amazing conversation piece at parties.

Oh, we out of wine, sure grab some more in the hall closet, but remember to use the Viper Crest hidden inside the hollow bust of Mao.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Kaincypher posted:

If this company actually existed, I would legit at least get a few door or cabinets built by them. There's no way that wouldn't be an amazing conversation piece at parties.

Oh, we out of wine, sure grab some more in the hall closet, but remember to use the Viper Crest hidden inside the hollow bust of Mao.

"Just don't grab the '76. The weight has to be just right and if you gently caress it up then I won't be able to get back into the basement."

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Your friends must sign death and dismemberment releases every time they enter your home.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Still makes more sense than the laser system.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

rydiafan posted:

I enjoy that, if RE6's collectible files are to be believed, the reason that Chris is less big in 6 than in 5 was that he was so relieved he found Jill he started skipping some days. It's also amazing how his plot in that game is that he got so angry his team was killed he got amnesia, which was then cured by Piers reminding him why he was so angry in the first place. RE6 is a work of art.

It's also great that in the RE1 remake on PS4 you can either play as original tiny Chris or Big Chris Biceps.

RBA Starblade has a new favorite as of 18:49 on Mar 2, 2017

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

I enjoy that, if RE6's collectible files are to be believed, the reason that Chris is less big in 6 than in 5 was that he was so relieved he found Jill he started skipping some days. It's also amazing how his plot in that game is that he got so angry his team was killed he got amnesia, which was then cured by Piers reminding him why he was so angry in the first place. RE6 is a work of art.

It's also great that in the RE1 remake on PS4 you can either play as original tiny Chris or Big Chris Biceps.

I like to think he got giant after Wesker showed him up in Code Veronica.
"Well, I don't have any ubermench virus, but I do have a gym membership..."

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

I loved Resident Evil 7; it was tense, atmospheric, spooky, and done really well all throughout. An excellent haunted house game, by all accounts.

What the hell happened to Lucas? I'm pretty sure I never killed him and he seemed to just kinda gently caress off after I rescued Zoe and Mia. Did he die when I killed Eveline? He had his contact somewhere, so did he make it out?

Maybe that's answered in the DLC that I bought and haven't played yet. But it just hit me.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Sad lions posted:

I like to think he got giant after Wesker showed him up in Code Veronica.
"Well, I don't have any ubermench virus, but I do have a gym membership..."

That's explicitly why he got so monstrous. Dude decided he needed to be jacked as hell if he was ever going to face Wesker again

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Leavemywife posted:

I loved Resident Evil 7; it was tense, atmospheric, spooky, and done really well all throughout. An excellent haunted house game, by all accounts.

What the hell happened to Lucas? I'm pretty sure I never killed him and he seemed to just kinda gently caress off after I rescued Zoe and Mia. Did he die when I killed Eveline? He had his contact somewhere, so did he make it out?

Maybe that's answered in the DLC that I bought and haven't played yet. But it just hit me.

He gets away. It's something that might get resolved in a future dlc or perhaps in a new game entirely. There's a pretty good market for nigh- immortal sadists in the RE universe, he'll do fine out there.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

That's what I figured, but I thought it was possible I missed something.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Total War: Warhammer, the random chatter from your units on the battlefield if you zoom in is always great. As my dwarf armies breached the gate of Black Crag, home to the biggest greenskin army on the map, the first hammerer through the gate screamed "KILL EVERYTHING WITHOUT A BEARD!" :black101:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

I'm assuming that the Brigador pilot Phil Bromlin is a Kickstarter backer reward or a friend of the dev or something but in a game full of great character portraits his smug dirtstache'd face is easily the greatest.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Lord British, the dude who made the Ultima games legit lives in a Resident Evil mansion.

I'm at work, so can't post the video, but there's legitimately doors and secret tombs that can only be accessed by solving gem puzzles and using magnet-skulls in certain orders to open a book case and the likes.

Plus he has a big telly and a waterslide. :)

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Drunken Baker posted:

Lord British, the dude who made the Ultima games legit lives in a Resident Evil mansion.

Even better, back when Ultima was still big he'd throw Halloween parties every year, completely changing the mansion layout for each. He'd hire actors to roam the halls as monsters and basically run it as a LARP dungeon.

If I recall he switched to doing it every two years because the setup time was so long, and I assume he's since stopped.

He's the kind of guy who showed up to formal business meetings in a full Lord British outfit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
If only he could dedicate that energy and creativity to actually making a good game this century.