Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Zaodai posted:

Is that still the case or could I make a guy who goes around with 2h melee weapons barbarianing the poo poo out of people?

One of the great things about ESO is that many, many things are viable in PVP as long you take a little effort to do them smartly. I had great success with a 2H + Bow using Nightblade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Chomp8645 posted:

One of the great things about ESO is that many, many things are viable in PVP as long you take a little effort to do them smartly. I had great success with a 2H + Bow using Nightblade.

What the hell, I've been jonseing for an MMO. I'll give it a shot. Not sure if I want to go Nightblade or DK though. I'll have to get a feel for the system. I'll be sure to roll Ebonheart Pact for Goon Shenanigans.

Thanks guys.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Name: @Khumbu
Role: Healer
CP: 351
Gear: 5PC SPC, 1PC Worm (good trait Worm, anyway), 4PC IA
Build: http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/reliever-healplar-build-pve-vanady-y/ (willing to change if this one isn't good)

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
Send goon guild invite, tia: @Alfaj0r

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I'm downloading now, but while I'm waiting on that big rear end download I was looking at skill calcs. Nightblade looks more like what I'm picturing in my head, even with a 2h weapon, but I notice that the NB skills all cost Magicka and the weapon skills all cost Stamina. How do you determine which to focus? They're just resource pools like in the regular Elder Scrolls games right, they don't buff damage? I'd hate to just ruin my character by stacking the wrong resource (besides "never health").

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Zaodai posted:

I'm downloading now, but while I'm waiting on that big rear end download I was looking at skill calcs. Nightblade looks more like what I'm picturing in my head, even with a 2h weapon, but I notice that the NB skills all cost Magicka and the weapon skills all cost Stamina. How do you determine which to focus? They're just resource pools like in the regular Elder Scrolls games right, they don't buff damage? I'd hate to just ruin my character by stacking the wrong resource (besides "never health").

My knowledge is a little aged so I wont' comment on which is better, but the good news is that you cannot "ruin" your character. Skills allocation and stat allocation can BOTH be reset (individually, even) so nothing is set in stone. Also the cost scales with level so it's really cheap to respect if you figure out that a build just ain't for you basically anytime before max level.

For what it's worth I was stamina NB and I feel my build did very well. I used my class (magicka) skills mainly as only openers and closers so even a +0 magicka pool allowed worked for that purpose. I pumped stamina and relied on weapon skills (and even the medium armor + dodge skill) during the meat of fights. This was a while back so I have no idea how the build has changed though.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 2, 2017

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Zaodai posted:

They are resource pools, but they also do impact damage. The higher your max stamina, the more damage skills that use stamina do. Same for Magicka.

Many class skills have morphs that change them to use stamina and do physical damage. As you gain experience with a skill equipped it levels up, then you can spend a skill point to morph that base skill into one of two variants. The rule is spec into stamina if you want to do physical damage (mostly weapon skills, but also many class skills when morphed) or spec into magicka for magical damage (most class skills as a baseline, and the staff related weapon skills).

Nate405
Oct 21, 2002

Can anybody recommend a good up-to-date gear swap mod? I tried GearSwap and Wykkyd Outfitter and neither seem to be working correctly.

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?
I hope to join the progression stuff eventually, but I'm only cp75 so I've got a waaaaays to go.

In the meantime where should I focus my CP points for my magNB and stamsorc?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Dinurth posted:

I hope to join the progression stuff eventually, but I'm only cp75 so I've got a waaaaays to go.

In the meantime where should I focus my CP points for my magNB and stamsorc?

stamsorc you want warlord in green (abilities cost less stam), in red hardy (physical damage reduction) and the magic reduction one, and blue... bonus physical damage whichever one that is, also thaumateurg for bonus dot damage.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 3, 2017

Nulity
Sep 26, 2010

Old screenie, forgot to post it, still makes me lol.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
Whose stats do synergies scale off of? The person who cast the field or the one who activates the synergy?

Nulity posted:

Old screenie, forgot to post it, still makes me lol.

:catstare:

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
What is the deal with these Wild Hunt Crates on the Crown Store and are they a super bad idea to purchase?

EDIT: Nvm answered my own question. Got some super strong potions, an experience scroll and some sorta aura memento. Kinda neat i guess.

So i think i need to play with people at this point now. If theres a goon guild still alive please add me ( @talkchowder )

Talkc fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Mar 3, 2017

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord
Come pvp in this big dumb game. The other stuff is fun too, but pvp here is so easy and needs a goon presence because it's easy and would be simple to take over. :getin:

e: What I mean by easy is 20-25 goons could own a pvp server.

sluggo is mad fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Mar 3, 2017

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

MF_James posted:

stamsorc you want warlord in green (abilities cost less stam), in red hardy (physical damage reduction) and the magic reduction one, and blue... bonus physical damage whichever one that is, also thaumateurg for bonus dot damage.

And MagBlade?

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?
So I got my stamsorc to 50 finally and blew through all my inspiration so now I'm working on my magickaNB and holy poo poo am I having a tough time with him. I tried following the guide that someone posted in this thread, and a couple others actually, but I just get torn up so fast. My stamsorc can gather a dozen mobs and melt them so fast and always maintain health. I can not do that on NB at all. How the hell do you stay alive as a NB. Tell me why I'm retarded and what I'm doing wrong.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Magmarashi posted:

And MagBlade?

red is always the same since magic/physical damage reduction is good across all builds. I'm not entirely sure on the other stuff, but I would look at things that are similar i.e. +magicka damage and spell cost reduction

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura

Dinurth posted:

How the hell do you stay alive as a NB. Tell me why I'm retarded and what I'm doing wrong.

I have mained mNB since launch, will post my build, rotation, leveling when I get home.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
In a nutshell, you get tons of healing from Siphoning as magblade.

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?

GuyUpNorth posted:

In a nutshell, you get tons of healing from Siphoning as magblade.

I guess I haven't hit those morphs yet? I only have 1 heal and it's poo poo. Heals 25% dmg done every 2 seconds. Not enough for sustain.

I ended up taking the light armor shield which is helping but man this is a struggle for me to solo. Any sort of group setting it's awesome tho.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

As someone who just leveled a magblade I know exactly how you feel. Basically I feel like it blossoms late - it felt pretty underwhelming especially with AoE and I nearly quit the class. Then I got sap essence and I was all :getin: after that. Until then, run swallow soul and refreshing path for sustain.

Now I've turned my magblade into a sap/leech tank (using my own variation of this build: http://deltiasgaming.com/eso-nightblade-tank-build/) that carries groups through dungeons and is drat near impossible to kill. I solo world bosses with ease and I feel like an angry vampire god. I don't even want to play anything else.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Guild kick for using a Deltia build.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Actually all that guide really did was make me aware those sets existed. I run Bahraha's with Leech plate and will also use Bloodspawn set if I can ever get the loving shoulders from the chest. I use double sword/shield instead of resto staff because that sounded dumb and my bar set up is more or less the one you posted in the sap tank guide. I have soul harvest in place of reviving barrier to help offset the ultimate generation loss from not having Tavas and use trash death to build ultimate for hard pulls/bosses.

I still get 2 warhorns up per boss fight and it's much better for tanking pugs and soloing due to the increased damage and survivability through self-healing from procs. If I were tanking vet trials I'd swap the leech plate for Tavas yeah, but I've found this to be much better for what I do 95% of the time: soloing poo poo and carrying dumbfuck PUGS through daily pledges. I can basically sustain myself through anything except unavoidable 1-shot mechanics.

Edit: I may make a post about my build so other goons can critique or use it as they see fit. It's much different from the Deltias build.

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Mar 4, 2017

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?

Hakarne posted:

Actually all that guide really did was make me aware those sets existed. I run Bahraha's with Leech plate and will also use Bloodspawn set if I can ever get the loving shoulders from the chest. I use double sword/shield instead of resto staff because that sounded dumb and my bar set up is more or less the one you posted in the sap tank guide. I have soul harvest in place of reviving barrier to help offset the ultimate generation loss from not having Tavas and use trash death to build ultimate for hard pulls/bosses.

I still get 2 warhorns up per boss fight and it's much better for tanking pugs and soloing due to the increased damage and survivability through self-healing from procs. If I were tanking vet trials I'd swap the leech plate for Tavas yeah, but I've found this to be much better for what I do 95% of the time: soloing poo poo and carrying dumbfuck PUGS through daily pledges. I can basically sustain myself through anything except unavoidable 1-shot mechanics.

Edit: I may make a post about my build so other goons can critique or use it as they see fit. It's much different from the Deltias build.

Please do, I really want to play mNB but after just wrecking everything with stamsorc I've having trouble even wanting to log on with him. I'm being overly whiney about it, I can play it mostly ok it's just slow in comparison.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

DoriDori240 posted:

I have mained mNB since launch, will post my build, rotation, leveling when I get home.

Tease

Bagpuss_UK
May 22, 2001

(NOT BAGPUSS)

Hakarne posted:

I have light, medium and heavy Bloodspawns shoulders just sitting in the bank if you need. Only well-fitted or sturdy unfortunately.

Bagpuss_UK fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Mar 4, 2017

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord
Hail Goonperor FROID, long may he reign (hopefully long enough to log in and smash some scrubs).

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Used my monthly point stipend in the cash shop to buy 4 crates. Figured it was past time to see what the drop rate looked like.

Got three epics, three blues, and one legendary. That includes the Floral Aura, the Spriggan transformation ability, the most black metal of the Winterborn costumes :black101:, and two pets. One of which was a Baneling.

Either they've really buffed the drop rates from the release of the crates or my luck is fantastic this month.

Edit: It's kind of bullshit that the transform and aura aren't constant though. They cut out after a bit. They should make them permanent if they're going to be advertised as super desirable rewards. Not mementos.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Mar 4, 2017

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

sluggo is mad posted:

Hail Goonperor FROID, long may he reign (hopefully long enough to log in and smash some scrubs).

The funny thing about this was that we spent most of the night holding up in keeps we had no business being in, instead of actually playing the map. Faregyl, Rayles, Brindle, Nikel, Fort Chillbro was a mobile party last night.

Except Nikel, we always have business in Nikel.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Alright, here's what I'll call my Vampiric Sap Tank build. I'm still tweaking it a bit and there's a lot of flexibility for personalization, so I'm open to suggestions. This is loving awesome for soloing and carrying PUG groups through normal/vet dungeons. You are basically 100% self-sustaining due to ridiculous amounts of self healing, so even if your DPS and/or healer suck you can drag them through. It actually grows in power the more mobs you pull - I tested it solo in a vet dungeon and can easily sustain pulling multiple packs and even solo'd a vet boss with ease. The DPS isn't too terrible for a tank build either - I pull about 7k sustained single target on world bosses and can hit 20-30k on large AoE pulls thanks to procs.

Gear

5 piece Bahraha's: This is the core set for the build, get this first. It's BoE so you can find it on guild traders with some hunting. I use 3 jewelry along with 1h and shield on both bars. You want crushing/defending on weapons and either sturdy or infused on the shields. Jewelry enchants can be customized until you feel comfortable with your sustain - I personally use 1 magicka regen and 2 spell power.

For solo/PUG dungeons - 5 Piece Leech Plate (ICP dungeon set): The hardest set to get, you want Cuirass, Greaves, Gloves, Belt, and Feet either Sturdy (preferred for Gloves, Belt, and Feet) or infused (preferred for Cuirass and Greaves due to larger stat budget). Fortunately, the pieces you want can be acquired on normal and upgraded, and once you're running Bahraha's you should be able to drag pugs through relatively painlessly and chain run it with your instant tank queue. Make sure to let any CP160+ people know you're hunting the leech plate and trade to increase your odds. For enchants, I run magicka with a few health enchants to get me to about 27k health. If you're rich and optimized I'd throw tri-glyphs on infused chest and Greaves, but that's expensive as gently caress.

For KNOWN COMPETENT vets/trials groups - 5 Piece Tavas: Swap out the leech plate to increase your ultimate generation so you can spam warhorn more. You lose some survivability/damage, but if you know you can rely on your DPS/healer this will help them kill poo poo faster. This is also crafted, so it's a solid set to roll with while you find your leech plate drops.

Monster Sets - plenty of options

For solo/speed running dungeons - 2 Skoria: It procs off of dots, including refreshing path, Lotus fan, and your set procs. Adds a good amount of damage and goes off all the time.

For vet dungeons/trials - 2 Blood Spawn: More ultimate generation AND mitigation on proc. Good poo poo.

Also for vet dungeons/trials - 2 Scourger: Adds another heal proc AND increases your healing received by 30%. I don't have this yet but God drat that extra boost to your heals makes you even more invincible. This is the more "selfish" shoulder option for hard content.

Skills

Bar 1 - 1H and Shield

1. Swallow soul/Funnel Health - Swallow soul for solo dudes, funnel for group and more ultimate. I'm selfish and roll solo a lot so I run Swallow.

2. Pierce Armor - Taunt and debuff.

3. (Flex) Heroic Slash for Group/Dark Shades solo or speed run - Minor maim with an option for increased ultimate at the expense of using more stamina. Preference really.

4. (Flex) Lotus Fan solo/Dark Shades group - I loving love lotus fan. It gives you great mobility to pick up adds, throws down an AoE dot, and slows everything it hits to boot to help keep it together while you set aggro. I use this to port around like a loving maniac and taunt things, and also as an opener to get into the middle of a group. It's good poo poo. If you take heroic slash, put dark shades here to help keep maim up or put w/e else you prefer here. Lotus will then move to our back bar.

5. Absorb Magic - More block and eat magic attacks when appropriate. Good poo poo.

Ultimate - Soul Harvest - Adds damage when solo and generates ultimate when stuff dies. I use this to help offset the ultimate lost from not running Tava's/other ultimate generation sets.

Bar 2 - 1H and shield

1. Sap Essence - Our main spammable AoE damage and heal. It loving owns.

2. Siphon - Keep this up for your sustain and weave light attacks in when you can.

3. Refreshing path - More AoE damage and healing as well as a speed boost. Good poo poo.

4. Mirage - Keep this up at all times for dodge and more resistance. Really, really good.

5. (Flex) If you don't have Lotus fan on your main bar you can stick it here. For solo/speed running, I like to run Merciless resolve for the damage boost and burst from the arrow. You could also put inner fire here if you want a range taunt, or even another copy of Absorb Magic so you have the extra block mitigation on both bars. This is 100% preference here.

Ultimate - Warhorn - Best group buff available, use it for tough pulls and boss fights. I can still usually get 2 of these out during a boss fight even though I'm not focused on ultimate generation. Save one from trash for the beginning and you'll usually have it up again for execute phase, depending on the dungeon/boss.

Rotation

With your bars set up like mine it's easy as poo poo. You can literally just press 1,2,3,4,5 on both bars to keep your buffs up and the enemy taunted. If you throw in some light attacks you'll have no problems with sustain thanks to Siphon. It's totally mindless for regular easy-mode dungeons, but has a lot of flexibility for difficult circumstances. To pull, pre-built with Siphon and Mirage, Lotus fan into a group, then start taunting AoE-ing poo poo while blocking.

Stats

I'm only CP200ish and I have about 27k health, 31k mana, and 1150ish Magicka regen which feels pretty solid. I'm only using purple gear and am in no ways 100% optimized so there's room for improvement. Use the Atronach stone for regen. I also roll around with stage 4 vampirism (except in fire dungeons) but that's totally a preference/thematic thing. It does offer some great benefits though!

Hope you enjoy the build. The compliments and friend requests will fly if you take this into PUG dungeons, so get out there and start tanking!

Edit:

Dinurth posted:

Is this how you ran while leveling too? Only 40 at this point, I've found a destruction staff build ok, but not really fun to play.

No, this is endgame. It's not worth the time/effort/money setting this up while you're leveling. Just level as DPS and you can switch to tanking, it's painful as gently caress to solo as tank spec while leveling. This build is actually fun and effective to play outside of dungeons solo, though.

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 4, 2017

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?

Hakarne posted:

build stuff

Is this how you ran while leveling too? Only 40 at this point, I've found a destruction staff build ok, but not really fun to play.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Levelling as tank is excruciating, I'd normally not recommend it.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
I came back after a long hiatus and of course servers are down (DDoS??) on Saturday when I actually have some free time....

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Dinurth posted:

do not run a tank build to level.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
Just ordered gold for PS4. Who do I talk to about some guild action?

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura
:siren: Incoming wall-o-text about spergy poo poo :siren:

Ok, Megaserver crashed so here is my Magicka Nightblade stuff.

I have mained mNB since console launch in June of 2015, switched to PC in December. I love the class, and while I do play others, it is always the one I gravitate back to. I have seen a lot of posts or messages in goon chat about how squishy their magblade is or how it isn't doing much damage, and I am baffled. What follows are my opinions and ideas of the class. I have had many flawless conqueror runs and done every vet trial with a magicka nightblade. They are, in my opinion, the easiest class to clear VMA on for a first timer (easier than sorcs, yes).

The way I play mNB is as a ranged caster class first and foremost. The tempo and mobility that comes with using dual destruction staves is super fun as you can afford to be aggressive in nearly any encounter due to the constant heals and the ability to make a "nightblade house" in PVE should not be dismissed.

I have seen builds that use S&B or DW. If you are using dual wield on a PVE magicka nightblade, you are missing out on what makes the class. S&B is cool beans for a sap tank, but should not be part of your DPS kit.

Racial choices are, as always, up to you, but most optimal are: Dunmer, Altmer, Breton, and Argonian, with Imperial making an edge case. My main is a Breton, mostly from personal preference, but my highest vMA score was on a Dark Elf. Breton has a lot of tankiness, max mag, and cost reduction, Altmer has the same max mag but more regen. You won't spec into regen on a magblade anyways, and High Elves are gross. Lizards are pretty cool for a sap tank, but you'll have to talk to Scyantific about sap tanking as he is one of the better ones I have seen.

Leveling (PVE Focus):

If this is your first toon (i.e. you have no CP) then follow normal leveling guides, have us goon friends make a set of Seducer and 3 Magnus, and go to town. Make sure you have your three class skills and buy a destro ability with your first spare point. Level all of your class abilities as you go, yes, sure thats fine.

In the beginning you want Strife (Morph this to Swallow Soul as soon as you can), Assassins Blade (Morph this to Impale), and good ole Veiled Strike (get this to level 4, but don't worry about morphing it, least not yet). By the time these are morphable, you will be at Destruction Staff level 4 at minimum. Purchase Wall of Elements as your first non class ability. As you continue to level, purchase cloak and leave it on your bar (a handy escape for you). As you now have 2 shadow abilities slotted, you well get that skill line to 12 before the other two. Level 12 of course means time to buy your first ultimate. We want to get consuming darkness (which, eventually, we will morph into Veil of Blades). This ulti gives us major protection, and a 70% snare to all enemies who enter it. The downside is it is expensive as gently caress (200 Ultimate). Ok, you should now drop veiled strike, and toss on Agony (2nd Siphoning ability). This is a ranged immobilazation that honestly is not a good skill, but one that does help us level Siphoning. By the time we get to unlock bar swap (level 15) you should be level 20 in both Siphoning and Shadow, where we unlock two essential abilites: Path Of Darkness (Shadow) and Cripple (Siphoning). Path (which has two good morphs, we will want Refreshing Path to start) is a conal ground AOE that gives us major expedition while we are in its area of effect and for a couple seconds once we leave it. Cripple is a 28m ranged dot with a snare, and also gives you major expedition (which does not stack with Path, but is still a great bonus considering it's impressive range. Eventually you will morph this into Crippling Grasp which is one of the best DOTS in the game. With bar swap now possible, go ahead and slot a resto and start leveling that up until you get it to 20 and can buy ward with it. We eventually will not use a resto at all outside of PVP. On the resto bar, we will toss on another ultimate (Death Stroke) from the assassination line and start loading up on assassination abilites. When you go to turn in a quest, make sure you are on this back bar when you do it, it will power up the Assassination skill tree (And the resto tree just by having a resto slotted) which by now will be lagging behind the other two. You also should slot Annulment (from the light armor skill line) on this bar to get it leveled, and also slot Mage Light here to get it leveled to Inner Light. Other three abilities will be Assassination (Double Bar Impale here, along with Teleport strike and, eventually, Blur (Which is a cool skill by itself, and I reccomend the Double Take morph). On our front bar, it should look something like Swallow>Impale>Refreshing Path>Elemental Blockade>Crippling Grasp> Ulti will be Soul Shred (which gets morphed to Soul Teather (again, we are now leveling Siphoning nicely with 3 abilities on our front bar, and 3 Assasination slots on our back bar. Our goals now are to get to Siphoning 30 (Unlocks Siphoning Strikes, which we will morph to Siphoning Attacks) and Siphoning 42 which unlocks Drain Power (Which we will morph to Sap Essence). These are both hallmark Magicka Nightblade abilites. You also are looking for Assassination 42, which unlocks one of the coolest abilites in the game, and is our true burst ability. Unmorphed is is Grim Focus. We will morph this to Merciless Resolve. This ability grants us minor Beserk for 20 seconds (8% more damage done) and, upon loosing 4 light attacks within that 20 seconds, activates Assassin's Will, which allows you to fire a spectral bow that does insane damage (I have had this hit for 50K plus in trials with full raid buffs). Once these are unlocked and leveled, you should be about to 50. Make sure you buy all class passives, armor passives (light first) and racial passives. Get mages guild leveled so we can call meteors down upon our foes.

Ok, so what I run for open world PVE, 4 man dungeons, VMA, and even trials stays pretty much the same, but I will flex things out as needed:

Gear: >300CP - Law of Julianos (heavy chest and legs, other three light) Seducer helm, shoulder. All Divines. Weapons are front bar sharpened inferno, back bar sharpened lighting. Willpower Jewelry. A cheap alternative is Destruction Mastery instead of the Willpower and Seducer (3 Jewelry, 2 body) and random sharpened staves. Willpower is much cheaper than it used to be, but you can get all 5 Destruction Mastery pcs for the cost of one Arcane Willpower ring. Another alternative is that if you manage to snag a divines monster shoulder or helm, and it gives you max mag, you can run that as a 1 pc, and then run 2 pc Seducer, or make Julianos staves if running the Destruction Mastery kit.

Gear: <300CP - Here you can continue to use Julianos (I still prefer it for VMA) but for trials, veteran dungeons, solo world bosses, you want Burning Spellweave. This set comes out of City of Ash, and you can farm the body pieces on normal mode from CoA1 with ease (But make sure you farm all Divines). This set simply outperforms every other Magicka DPS set in the game (for all 4 classes). You also can consider running Scathing Mage (which comes from Imperial City Prison). This will require you to remorph refreshing path into Twisting Path, as it is the only thing that reliably procs Scathing to have the uptime needed to make it competitive. (I have ran Scathing in trials and dungeons with healer support and it is pretty powerful). That said, we will be able to maintain a pretty good uptime on BSW with inferno staff attacks and elemental blockade, as well as procs from one of the three monster sets we should look at running (See below). Jewelry you are fine to continue using Willpower until you get into regular normal trials groups and start collecting Infallible Aether and Moondancer jewelry, either of which will work fine (Moondancer being a favorite due to the max magicka vs spell critical). Either set grants you minor slayer, which increases damage done to all dungeon and trial enemies by 5 percent.

Undaunted Monster Sets:
Grothdarr (Vaults of Madness): I use this in VMA and 4 person dungeons. Lots of AOE damage, also procs BSW
Valkyn Skoria (City of Ash II): Ranged meteor projectile, does good single target and AOE damage. Procs BSW.
Illambris: Very good single target and smaller AOE range, BIS for sorcs. I have never liked it on mNB as it is harder to proc, Others like it just fine. YMMV

Used to be cool: Nerien'eth. This set was BIS for magicka nightblades up until 1 Tamriel, and something I used to great effect in all PVE enviroments. The fact that it (along with all monster sets) cannot crit and the fact that it does nothing to proc BSW means it is relatively obsolete. It still does upwards of 8K damage on a proc, however, so you can run Julianos and this to good effect still until you can get one of the above sets.

Mundus Stone: The Thief. Always the Thief, and never not the Thief. Anyone who tells you to run some other trashy mundus should be cast out of your house. Crit is king, and nightblades are the overlords of crit.

Food: Bi-Stat Health/Mag Food (Blue)

Potions: I used trash magicka pots that drop in the environment for most things. For srs business vet trials or vMA score runs, I run spellpower/crit/mag tripots.

Skill Bars (Dungeons and VMA):

Front Bar (Sharpened Inferno)
Swallow Soul>Impale>Elemental Blockade>Inner Light>Crippling Grasp>Ulti Shooting Star (Single Target Bossfights, Elemental Rage (Destro Ulti) for AOE trash fights

Back Bar (Sharpened Lightning)
Refreshing Path>Merciless Resolve>Sap Essence>Harness Magicka>Siphoning Attacks> Ulti Soul Harvest (for ulti gen).

I will remorph refreshing path to Twisting Path for vet trials as it does do considerably more damage and there is raid level healer support. Also I will drop Swallow Soul for Force Pulse (does more damage) Same goes for Siphoning Attacks, as ele drain and orbs keeps us topped off nicely, I will flex in destructive reach in it's place (or any other destro ability) to unlock the Ancient Knowledge passive which increases our AOE damage by 8 percent. I have messed around with dropping siphoning all together and using ele drain in it's place, but Siphoning restores stamina AND can proc off of all damage. Ele just gives you magicka back from that one afflicted target. With SA up, you can rip off a heavy lighting attack and your mana bar just starts filling up in AOE situations.

Rotation:
Potion (before you initiate the fight) heavy attack>Merciless>la>refreshing>barswap cancel>blockade>la>cripple>la>SS/forcepulse>la>ss/forcepulse>barswap>fire bow proc, restart rotation. refresh SA as needed. ST boss fights drop shooting star when it is up, etc etc.

VMA: So, in VMA you want to be on full offense, as a defensive posture magicka nightblade is a dead one in there. The nice thing is you have a shield (Harness Magicka, which also gives you magic back when you take elemental or magical damage), and you can lay down refreshing path and then harness, and DPS away. You have so much incoming healing from path and swallow soul, not to mention an effective "burst heal" when there are multiple adds around with Sap Essence, that you are very very difficult to kill. As always, VMA requires that you have good threat assesment and know which adds to prioritize first, but you should have no problem at all with the boss rounds (including rounds 5, 7, and 9). Use the sigils at first, and keep running it. You WILL clear it using a magblade, because they offer a smooth trouble free experience in this lovely lovely arena. And once you are done, you can enjoy the cool title (unless you are in PVP and people focus you), ugly polymorph of an rear end in a top hat you'd likely care never to see again, and a weapon with likely a lovely trait.

GOOD TIMES.

I am leaving stuff out here, I am sure, but pease feel free to message me in game with questions, or if you want leveling help, gear, or w/e. I have also healed extensively on a magblade, so let me know if there is any interest in that or builds for PVP.

DoriDori240 fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 5, 2017

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?

DoriDori240 posted:

:siren: Incoming wall-o-text about spergy poo poo :siren:

Holy. This seems more in line with the direction I was heading after saying gently caress it to all the other builds I've tried and just doing my own. Self thought? Crazy right?

Anyway thanks for a ton, I just hit 40 on my NB and with a few tweaks I'll be able to roll with this, definitely need some new equipment though, I'll bug you in game if servers ever come back up.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***

Alexander DeLarge posted:

I did it no problem, just activated the key on the ESO account management page. There's speculation on whether certain digital keys are different from retail keys (the ones instant-gaming provides) but all I know is it worked for me and a couple other people that used instant-gaming after my recommendation. I got my key from https://www.instant-gaming.com/en/1554-buy-key-the-elder-scrolls-online-gold-edition/ and I had a Steam key purchased before it went buy2play and a retail collector's edition key with the pre-order bonus explorer DLC pack.

Did it take a while for the DLC to show up in game? Cause i did this with a GMG key and the Gold Edition DLC isnt popping up in game.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Talkc posted:

Did it take a while for the DLC to show up in game? Cause i did this with a GMG key and the Gold Edition DLC isnt popping up in game.

When I did it, it showed up in the account screen as being activated immediately. Logging into the game, I did not have the expansions added. The next day they showed up. (Full disclosure: I tried to send a ticket to support about this issue but given that I never got a confirmation "Your ticket received" and some of my plugins might screw up the forms, that support ticket might not have gone through.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

MF_James posted:

do not run a tank build to level.

Now you guys tell me haha. I'm in the same boat as the other guy but I'm like level 34 using the guide from this thread and I have some really bad moments.