Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Having said that I prefer the one-test route I don't really feel like either way is a bad approach to taking the test. Ideally you should have the knowledge to pass each easily so whether you want to spread it over one or two tests shouldn't be THAT much difference and if two tests helps you concentrate your studying in certain areas then it may be easier or more conducive to the way you study.

I did mine combined both times, the first time because I just wanted to do it and get it over with, the second time because I was very confident in my lab scenarios and I was banking on a higher percentage of CCENT questions in case I forgot some minutiae that they might ask from ICND2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
Well I've been reading a chapter and then doing it's written labs and Sybex online test for said chapter. So far about a solid quarter of them have been poo poo like this:

As best as I can tell it is mismatching the written question with the graphic and it often results in just complete nonsense. I ordered the Odom study guide in the hopes that the CD full of test questions it comes with will serve as a replacement for this crap. $YBEX!!! :bahgawd:

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Bruce Boxlicker posted:

Well I've been reading a chapter and then doing it's written labs and Sybex online test for said chapter. So far about a solid quarter of them have been poo poo like this:

As best as I can tell it is mismatching the written question with the graphic and it often results in just complete nonsense. I ordered the Odom study guide in the hopes that the CD full of test questions it comes with will serve as a replacement for this crap. $YBEX!!! :bahgawd:

That's about right. The first 7 or so chapters all have issues like that. I recall one chapter having at least 6 out of the 20 questions being completely unanswerable. If you do the actual end of chapter reviews in the book the graphic is correct (that question being Chapter 2 Question 1).

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe

Cyks posted:

That's about right. The first 7 or so chapters all have issues like that. I recall one chapter having at least 6 out of the 20 questions being completely unanswerable. If you do the actual end of chapter reviews in the book the graphic is correct (that question being Chapter 2 Question 1).

I will just use the book ones for now. I reported each question I've encountered and sent screenshots through their tech support chat. I doubt it'll accomplish anything but you never know. Was this the only resource you used to study or were there others?

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
So how long did people wait to hear about results from RHCSA? :ohdear:

E: About 2 hours - 250/300. A little disappointing, but it's passing so I'll take it.

BallerBallerDillz fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Feb 22, 2017

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

The Nards Pan posted:

E: About 2 hours - 250/300. A little disappointing, but it's passing so I'll take it.

Could you post a bit about how you studied and what resources you used? I'm planning to take it later this year once work settles down a bit.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

The Nards Pan posted:

Congratulations. Mine took 15 hours.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Scratchmo

ErIog posted:

Could you post a bit about how you studied and what resources you used? I'm planning to take it later this year once work settles down a bit.

Sure, I had a community college class that was called something like "Linux for System Administrators" where we literally just read through the Red Hat admin manual (here: https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/html-single/System_Administrators_Guide/index.html) but did a minimal amount of lab work, so I did have some classroom training but it was very basic, the teacher literally just quietly read from that website.

A few months after that class I decided I was wanted to go for a RHCSA and got the Van Vugt book (http://www.sandervanvugt.com/book-red-hat-rhcsa-rhce-7-cert-guide/) - I went through the whole thing building out the lab environment they recommend and doing the labs at the end of each chapter. The pre and post chapter quizzes are okay but not great and a lot of the extra content on the website is broken. It's also worth noting that there's a shitload of minor errors in the book, if something isn't working it's worth checking the 20+ pages of errata they have available on the Pearson website. Also although it was helpful to build out my own lab environment for the majority of the labs, there were a few things in the chapters dealing with ldap and NFS that didn't really work right if you set up the ldap server using the book's instructions - they do offer prebuilt VMs for both lab servers and the ldap server on the website, they're probably worth downloading if those labs don't work right for you (or just to save time, honestly hitting next 5 times on an install screen doesn't teach you much unless you're coming in with no experience.)

Once I finished going through the book I started on the 4 practice tests that come with the book. I tried to run through each practice test 4 or 5 times and tried to get my times on all of them down under about 40 minutes. Those four practice tests are an excellent preparation for the actual exam. I also used https://www.certdepot.net/ for taking their little RHCSA quiz while I was waiting for the bus or waiting for lunch or something, there are some excellent pointers and shortcuts on that website. I know I mentioned it a few pages ago but the methods they go over here: https://www.certdepot.net/rhel7-interrupt-boot-gain-access-system/ are super helpful.

Also listen to this wise goon:

LochNessMonster posted:

Passed the RHCSA exam I took this week. Wasn't too hard in general but autofs was a big pain in the rear end.

LochNessMonster posted:

Can't really go into details due to the whole non-disclosure thing but autofs was the thing I found most difficult while practicing.

Rereading it and practicing it until you can do it blindfolded would be a very good idea.

Despite getting that good advice, and feeling confident about having a solid understanding of autofs, that's the section that took me the longest and I'm pretty sure that's the part that I hosed up.

It's worth noting that I have no actual experience administrating a Linux system. I've been an Ubuntu desktop user for ~4 years, but before I started this I'd hardly consider myself more than a casual user.

If you decide to use the Van Vugt book, please feel free to PM me with any questions you have (about only the RHCSA portion obviously, I'm still trying to decide if it makes sense for me to jump right into studying for RHCE). There were a bunch of points in that book where I really wished I could just ask someone who'd gone through it if I was loving something up or it was another error in the book, there are definitely a few that don't show up in their errata. Good luck!

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Congrats!

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
Does anyone know some good practice exams for the CCNP, particularly TSHOOT?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I've got my A+, about to pick up my Network+, and after that, I'd like to start getting into SQL. My supervisor has a training budget due in the near future, can you guys recommend some good SQL training resources? Already have a CBT nuggets account.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Codecademy has a quick intro course that's pretty good.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I've been really slacking on certs since I've been learning a lot on the job, but I scheduled my Sec+ exam for tomorrow. I know all the content without much issue, but my only question is what in the world can they give you for performance based questions? It's so much rote memorization that outside of something basic like a firewall rule or something I really can't see how that will work. Anybody have some insight?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Kashuno posted:

I've been really slacking on certs since I've been learning a lot on the job, but I scheduled my Sec+ exam for tomorrow. I know all the content without much issue, but my only question is what in the world can they give you for performance based questions? It's so much rote memorization that outside of something basic like a firewall rule or something I really can't see how that will work. Anybody have some insight?

Your performance based on rote memorization.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Work wants me to get my CEH for whatever loving reason and after reading the full Sybex study guide, it's maybe a bit more in-depth than a Sec+ with additional focus on specific tools and techniques. I don't foresee this being all that difficult and if it wasn't being funded I can't see how this would at all be worth the $800 it costs.

I just had to submit an application to take the exam (resume, work refs, etc) with $100 "non-refundable application fee". What a money grab.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kashuno posted:

It's all pretty straightforward. Just google "S+ performance based questions" and a bunch of actual ones will come up. This guy was has the most I found listed on his blog and on his youtube videos. If you research the performance based questions specifically there shouldn't be any mystery/surprise.

http://blogs.getcertifiedgetahead.com/security-and-performance-based-questions/

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Bruce Boxlicker posted:

It's all pretty straightforward. Just google "S+ performance based questions" and a bunch of actual ones will come up. This guy was has the most I found listed on his blog and on his youtube videos. If you research the performance based questions specifically there shouldn't be any mystery/surprise.

http://blogs.getcertifiedgetahead.com/security-and-performance-based-questions/

This is the page I viewed hours before my test and three of the four performance based questions I had were answered on there. The fourth was just identifying what type of devices/rooms use cable locks, passwords, man traps, HVACs, ect. All common sense type stuff. I did take the 301 version but a lot of people in my shop had the same questions on 401. Granted only one has passed in the last five months and is the only non-signal person (a mechanic)...

Wouldn't hurt to look over http://blogs.getcertifiedgetahead.com/linux-permissions-and-security/ as well. Everybody has been complaining about Linux questions.

Bruce Boxlicker posted:

I will just use the book ones for now. I reported each question I've encountered and sent screenshots through their tech support chat. I doubt it'll accomplish anything but you never know. Was this the only resource you used to study or were there others?

The first time I took it my only resources was a class on Udemy and limited prior experience which wasn't enough to pass. The second time I used Lammle and Odom and had a better idea of how the questions would be asked and the level of detail. If anything, I can tell you which RFC covers private IP addressing now.

Cyks fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 1, 2017

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Lmao wow the S+ exam was surprisingly straightforward for a compTIA exam. The performance ones were basically just matching with one more difficult network security setup. Thanks for the responses all!

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe

Cyks posted:

The first time I took it my only resources was a class on Udemy and limited prior experience which wasn't enough to pass. The second time I used Lammle and Odom and had a better idea of how the questions would be asked and the level of detail. If anything, I can tell you which RFC covers private IP addressing now.

What'd you think of the Odom cd material?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So I was thinking of shooting for CCNA R&S next, but now I see Cisco has a CCNA Cyber Ops cert they are just starting up. Does it make sense to skips the R&S and go to the cyber ops if I'm interested in security work?

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.

Kashuno posted:

So I was thinking of shooting for CCNA R&S next, but now I see Cisco has a CCNA Cyber Ops cert they are just starting up. Does it make sense to skips the R&S and go to the cyber ops if I'm interested in security work?

I'd say so. If you're not planning to go into networking pretty hard or have dreams of CCNP R&S, I'd say taking a CCNA specialization is a better choice. Since it's new, it might not get you the same HR traction, but from reviewing the exam topics it looks like a pretty solid security cert to have. If they do proper marketing I could see that showing up on a lot of job reqs.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Only thing about it is it's a brand new cert. We all know the problems with just refreshed tests Cisco has, who knows what kind of errors are in this thing.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Doug posted:

I'd say so. If you're not planning to go into networking pretty hard or have dreams of CCNP R&S, I'd say taking a CCNA specialization is a better choice. Since it's new, it might not get you the same HR traction, but from reviewing the exam topics it looks like a pretty solid security cert to have. If they do proper marketing I could see that showing up on a lot of job reqs.

I'm skeptical of it, since enterprise cybersecurity operations is focused on methods and tools that fall entirely outside of Cisco's wheelhouse.

If you want to go into security operations (incident response, forensics, etc), I'd recommend maybe getting a CCNA Security and then focusing on the OSCP or some of the SANS stuff.

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.

psydude posted:

I'm skeptical of it, since enterprise cybersecurity operations is focused on methods and tools that fall entirely outside of Cisco's wheelhouse.

If you want to go into security operations (incident response, forensics, etc), I'd recommend maybe getting a CCNA Security and then focusing on the OSCP or some of the SANS stuff.

That's really just not true. Cisco now owns Sourcefire which is an IDS/IPS with a huge market share. They also offer AMP which is a pretty solid offering in A/V and endpoint security. Any of the new ASAs with NGFW capabilities would certainly be utilized during SecOps.. The exam also touches on NIST Incident Handling and VERIS incident classification.

To be honest, looking through the exam topics it's likely one of the most vendor agnostic certs Cisco has ever put out.

The CCNA Security is focused almost solely on security architecture, which while important really isn't going to do you much good if you're in a SecOps/SOC role. Also, recommending someone interested in SecOps/SOC stuff to take the OSCP is entirely misguided.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Hey there cert thread!

What would be a good general software/os cert to compliment the A+. A lot of the helpdesk entry level job in my area specify an MS cert as an advantage, which one would be best to start with?

Or would a different route work better as an entry into IT?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I honestly don't know what kind of entry level help desk position would even think to require an MS cert. I live in a major city and with just an A+ i had quite a few job offers when I started looking. l I'd go Net+ if you are only looking for entry stuff.

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.

Collateral posted:

Hey there cert thread!

What would be a good general software/os cert to compliment the A+. A lot of the helpdesk entry level job in my area specify an MS cert as an advantage, which one would be best to start with?

Or would a different route work better as an entry into IT?

Yeah, net+ would be a good complement to A+...maybe Security+ if it seems more interesting.

To the point though, job postings are just a wish list from a department. That's their unicorn candidate but most of the time anyone that would actually meet the "nice to haves" in the posting are probably in a higher role already. Be fearless and apply to anything you think you could reasonably do(which is definitely any kind of L1 help desk) I promise you'll get some calls back.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Also worth keeping in mind that often HR totally fucks uprevises job postings without consulting the hiring manager before actually making the posting public. A good example is the famous "bachelor's degree for no apparent reason" requirement.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Anyone familiar with the eCPPT course/cert? Obviously the cert doesn't have the name recognition of OSCP but I'm wondering how the learning materials themselves stack up.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Doug posted:

That's really just not true. Cisco now owns Sourcefire which is an IDS/IPS with a huge market share. They also offer AMP which is a pretty solid offering in A/V and endpoint security. Any of the new ASAs with NGFW capabilities would certainly be utilized during SecOps.. The exam also touches on NIST Incident Handling and VERIS incident classification.
Without fail, these devices always fall under the jurisdiction of the security engineering team, not the security operations team. There's overlap in some organizations, but not all (and especially not in organizations big enough to have a dedicated incident handler taskforce). ASAs are going end of life, and are almost always under the purview of separate firewall teams. What limited "NGFW" capabilities hey have are relegated to the FirePOWER services modules, which are going to be replaced by the FTD unified code image within the next 12 months.

The cyber operations exam doesn't focus on those devices, anyway. It's basically a CISSP-light.

quote:

The CCNA Security is focused almost solely on security architecture, which while important really isn't going to do you much good if you're in a SecOps/SOC role.
You just mentioned Sourcefire, AMP, and ASA as cornerstones of the market while simultaneously saying that the very exam that focuses on those devices (CCNA security) isn't worth taking if you're in a SOC role. I'm not trying to be a dick with arguing semantics, but I hope you realize the contradictory nature of your statement.

quote:

Also, recommending someone interested in SecOps/SOC stuff to take the OSCP is entirely misguided.
You're saying that a practical understanding of how attackers gain entry to a network is misguided for someone wishing to work in the security field?

psydude fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 3, 2017

Mouse Cadet
Mar 19, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain
Next Stop: Atlanta
Passed the PMP yesterday after six months of studying. Let me know if anyone wants advice on preparing for the exam.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Scratchmo
Is PMPing easy? I've heard it's not.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Doug posted:

Yeah, net+ would be a good complement to A+...maybe Security+ if it seems more interesting.

To the point though, job postings are just a wish list from a department. That's their unicorn candidate but most of the time anyone that would actually meet the "nice to haves" in the posting are probably in a higher role already. Be fearless and apply to anything you think you could reasonably do(which is definitely any kind of L1 help desk) I promise you'll get some calls back.

I haven't seen one job ad with A+ or N+ listed. Here is an example. This one doesn't look realistic to me, not at £26k a year, but it is an actual job.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
A+ will only ever be listed for bench tech jobs at big corporations. N+ will never be listed.

But there's a huge difference in these certs being a listed requirement and being a huge bonus in the screening and interview process. No matter how much people in this thread (myself included) will say these certs are virtually useless on the job they will absolutely help land jobs and they are hugely beneficial to your resume.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Collateral posted:

I haven't seen one job ad with A+ or N+ listed. Here is an example. This one doesn't look realistic to me, not at £26k a year, but it is an actual job.
I can't speak for how easily CompTIA will get you in the door in the UK in general, but I managed to get hired in London with the A+ and N+ and they made no mention of either in the advert, and they wanted a graduate (I'm a drop out).

Solaron
Sep 6, 2007

Whatever the reason you're on Mars, I'm glad you're there, and I wish I was with you.
It's taken a little longer than expected (I wanted to be done a few weeks ago but life got in the way), but I'm finally finished with the ISC2 Official Study Guide for CISSP. I've also read Conrad's 11th Hour. My plan now is to take Transcender exams, see where my weak spots are and then go back through the study guide and the Exam Cram to brush up on those. Does anyone else have advice or recommendations? Does that sound like a good path?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Solaron posted:

It's taken a little longer than expected (I wanted to be done a few weeks ago but life got in the way), but I'm finally finished with the ISC2 Official Study Guide for CISSP. I've also read Conrad's 11th Hour. My plan now is to take Transcender exams, see where my weak spots are and then go back through the study guide and the Exam Cram to brush up on those. Does anyone else have advice or recommendations? Does that sound like a good path?
The books you read are good. I finished the Conrad full study guide as well as the 11th Hour. I also just bought the Sybex Practice Exam book as I read they were the closest in style/structure to the actual exam questions. The plan is to do the first full-scope test and then dial down any weak areas in specific domains, then take the 2nd. If I feel comfortable I'll go ahead and schedule; if not, I may pick up the CCCure quiz engine.

CEH (likely worthless) is scheduled for this week with the CISSP hopefully within the next 4-6 weeks.

Solaron
Sep 6, 2007

Whatever the reason you're on Mars, I'm glad you're there, and I wish I was with you.

Diva Cupcake posted:

The books you read are good. I finished the Conrad full study guide as well as the 11th Hour. I also just bought the Sybex Practice Exam book as I read they were the closest in style/structure to the actual exam questions. The plan is to do the first full-scope test and then dial down any weak areas in specific domains, then take the 2nd. If I feel comfortable I'll go ahead and schedule; if not, I may pick up the CCCure quiz engine.

CEH (likely worthless) is scheduled for this week with the CISSP hopefully within the next 4-6 weeks.

My boss wants me to do CEH after CISSP - interested to hear your thoughts on that.

I might grab the Practice Exam book then - I actually hadn't seen that before. Thanks!

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

CEH is like OSCP-lite with a bunch of Sec+ stuff thrown in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spambort
Jun 19, 2012
hmm, so if I have some decent helpdesk experience and a CCNA R&S cert, it wouldnt be a bad idea to pad it with an A+ or N+ cert to land interviews? I was looking forward at doing a MSCA 2008 stuff but thats down the line looking at networking / jr admin stuff. most already require citrix,vpn,voip stuff (any suggestions on learning/proving i learn those things?)