Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Dragon/venom rounds only have a chance at dotting aliens, it's not guaranteed even with primary weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captian Kil
Nov 2, 2011

My first playthrough of 2 on veteran Ironman and had my first enemy VIP mission. Stealth all the way up to the door where the guy was, hugging one side of the map. Pod came round the corner, got into position to ambush. They triggered and I managed to take them down, but a pod that was patrolling inside, opened the door and triggered, right next to my squad with their backs to them. In the progress of taking them out in close combat, I triggered a 3rd pod of 2 snakes and a orange glowing one (codex?), which then proceeded to bug out. I took down the vipers but the codex counted as being in full cover, when she was standing in the open. Then she would move in slow motion for her turn, but would ALWAYS slide across the map into her original position. So she could teleport into flanking positions, shoot, then slide back into amazing cover. Because of those bullshit shenanigans I only evaced 1 guy and lost 5. I immediate went to the menu and deleted that save.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

AttitudeAdjuster posted:

LW 2 chat: after autopsies are done can I freely sell corpses to the Black Market? Or I am I gonna bone myself down the line if I turn the morgue into a fire sale?

Keep 5 or so corpses on hand for the low rank troopers/aliens so you do projects or build a few items. You'll get more from troop columns on a fairly regular basis so don't stress about keeping massive stockpiles on hand. Don't sell any of the advanced aliens (muton elite, archon, sectopod, andromedon) because they all make cool things and they don't show up often enough to sell.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

FairGame posted:

As pointed out only a page or two ago, ammo effects don't apply to anything beyond the first target--it's a bug. So I guess you could lightning hands/quickdraw/normal shot or fan fire. But Faceoff, which should do what you say, doesn't.

Huh, could have sworn that I've had it proc off of faceoff shots, but I guess it could just be one of those things that I never noticed. And it's so hard to keep LW2 and vanilla chat seperate in my head, I kind of figured the mention of it not working was an LW2 thing.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I feel like doing alien hunters in January broke the game. Afterwards started getting complete garbage pods with wimpy tier 0 aliens that did no damage and died instantly.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Jenny Angel posted:

Oh, talking about Sniper mobility actually reminds me - if I'm not using any Snipers, are Spider/Wraith suits worth it on any other classes? Rangers or Gunslingers maybe?

The grapple suits are also surprisingly good on grenadiers once they get salvo, because it lets you re-position, grenade and shoot all in one turn.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

kater posted:

I feel like doing alien hunters in January broke the game. Afterwards started getting complete garbage pods with wimpy tier 0 aliens that did no damage and died instantly.

I'm still absolutely terrified of activating the rulers until I have beam weaponry.

I love the sense of "oh, gently caress!" they add whenever they pop into a mission at the worst time.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
My first playthrough was just after release, and yes swords where worthless then. More recently I replayed it with an attempt to use classes/kills I didn't beforehand, with the result that I forced myself to use a sword ranger every mission. (Both where Commander/Ironman)

Sword rangers can do things that shottymans can't; namely run&gun every turn, get rapid fire much much earlier, and have have spammable grenade-AoE. BladeStorm really is the pinnacle of the hero, and aggressive positioning will get you many free attacks as the AI wigs out and tries to run past you. The downside of course is that you need to be veeery careful and/or good&familiar enough at the game to make sure that you're not overextending, and at that point you could be pulling off coupe de graces with squaddies, so who cares about optimal builds. Personally, if Reaper was reworked to be more universally applicable and less of a POS I think swordsmen would be in a much better case. But currently it's only one skill to define the entire playstyle, while shottymen get so much more.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Putting a cool down on rapid fire, or not letting it work with run and gun, would probably be enough to make me consider a swordsman.

Well, that and "you can melee a muton." That's just an absurd gently caress you from the game.

E: reaper shouldn't have its damage decay and melee attacks should never miss (maybe bladestorm reactions can miss.)

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
God damnit. In my current game, Alien Conditioning and Rural Checkpoints both popped with 4 hours remaining on them. Jerk RNG detection system. Also, I have 42 Elerium Cores in June, and that's after boiling a bunch down and selling some. God drat.

Apoplexy fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Mar 3, 2017

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Also, just had the best round ever on a loving supply line raid of heavy troop concentration. Everyone hit their shots, their post-DFA pistol shots, their Chain Shots, their rocket spots directly. After two 8-unit pods activated on the same turn, only 4 units remained.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
gently caress yes. Double Mutons, double Stun Lancers, a Berserker. I can now outfit my Shinobi with stunny swords and get plasma 'nades!

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
Sword shinobis are fun. They are a pretty good opener against 8 man pods once they get bladestorm. It is possible to kill 3-4 dudes on the opening.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

lazorexplosion posted:

The grapple suits are also surprisingly good on grenadiers once they get salvo, because it lets you re-position, grenade and shoot all in one turn.

Occasionally watching Xavier in the background while I putter around the apartment, it's amazing how much use he gets out of those things on his infiltrators. Not because of the quick and easy elevation change, but just because it's a totally free movement action that lets him do silly things like run up to an objective, open the door, grapple out of detection range (grappling doesn't count as a move, so I don't believe it breaks concealment even if you were taking cover in a spotted tile), and then hack the now-open objective from range. I definitely underestimated that potential extra movement.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Continuing the discussion from yesterday: I definitely could have used a sharpshooter on the final mission. Completely forgot that that final room fucks with your ability to launch grenades and explosives. Still beat it with no fatalities, but having a unit capable of taking multiple shots without ever needing to reload would've been rather helpful.

The last 2 missions are really weird in that nothing else in the campaign is remotely like them, and they're not at all like one another, even.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

FairGame posted:

e: we can probably all agree that outside of very special circumstances (Bradford on his one mission), blade rangers are just generally not worthwhile.

It's not like using the blade means you can't use the shotgun. I generally send most of my Rangers down the blade side of the tree because I find I really don't need or use the concealment stuff (or at least I don't use it very well). For scouting ahead I have battle scanner whizzballs and scanning protocol anyways.

That being said, take the doubletap ability instead of the "run around like a loving idiot with your sword out" ability as your ultimate ability. Holy poo poo is Reaper(?) just not worth it outside of The Nest, especially against "instantly delete enemy by blapping them twice with shotgun".

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Alkydere posted:

It's not like using the blade means you can't use the shotgun. I generally send most of my Rangers down the blade side of the tree because I find I really don't need or use the concealment stuff (or at least I don't use it very well). For scouting ahead I have battle scanner whizzballs and scanning protocol anyways.

That being said, take the doubletap ability instead of the "run around like a loving idiot with your sword out" ability as your ultimate ability. Holy poo poo is Reaper(?) just not worth it outside of The Nest, especially against "instantly delete enemy by blapping them twice with shotgun".

Setting up an epic Reaper chain is one of the most fun and rewarding experiences X2 has to offer though. LW2 makes it better by making it a team effort, with holotargeting Sharpshooters lighting up targets while grenadiers reduce HP to sword-able levels.

Ironskin is a straight up gently caress you to an already suboptimal playstyle though, and the fact that all robots will eventually get it is just some bizarre play balance

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Are certain things mislabeled in terms of whether or not they end your turn? I chose to haywire something thinking I would have another action since there was no icon, but it ended. Then I went up to a door and it said opening it would end my turn, and it didn't. :confused:

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I don't know what icon there is, the box in bottom left explaining what ability does when you hover over it says End Turn or not. Opening a door shouldn't do it unless you are hacking it I think?

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Haha welp the "will end turn" icon is basically pointless now, just gonna ignore that. Also I just revived and healed a teammate and they've been standing there turn after turn and I can't select them.

...Do they still patch this very good and stupid game?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Reaper would have been good if there were alien pods that consisted of many low hp aliens. Instead of only encountering them in the Alien Nest.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDKpUzcYrRs

Was she visually bugged and considered unconscious? How the hell do you check if you can't select them? :psyduck:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Speaking of AWS, I had a guy get Shredder from his class and then he got it as his bonus. Does it stack or should he respec? Haven't had a chance to test it.

a cow
May 6, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

mellowjournalism posted:

Are certain things mislabeled in terms of whether or not they end your turn? I chose to haywire something thinking I would have another action since there was no icon, but it ended. Then I went up to a door and it said opening it would end my turn, and it didn't. :confused:

You kind of just have to know what ends your turn - unless your dude has special abilities, practically everything does. I guess hacking doesn't show the icon since you can look at your options and decide against it? It's dumb.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

marshmallow creep posted:

Speaking of AWS, I had a guy get Shredder from his class and then he got it as his bonus. Does it stack or should he respec? Haven't had a chance to test it.

That shouldn't happen, aws skills are supposed to be exclusively crossclass.

But an easy way to check wouldbe to shoot an armored dude and see what it shreds. Each tier of weapon = one more armor shredded.

I'd be amazed if it stacked, though. I think you've got yourself free blast padding, which is pretty useless.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

a cow posted:

You kind of just have to know what ends your turn - unless your dude has special abilities, practically everything does. I guess hacking doesn't show the icon since you can look at your options and decide against it? It's dumb.

Alright, thanks. This stupid game has its hooks in me and I'm already thinking about restarting the campaign with the lessons learned. It's just really frustrating when I want to enable ironman and do it "right" but I swear I keep running into gamebreaking bugs, and by the time I realize that the bot I "failed" to haywire is somehow now miraculously shut down, it's too late to record it and see if I'm just crazy.

mellowjournalism posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDKpUzcYrRs

Was she visually bugged and considered unconscious? How the hell do you check if you can't select them? :psyduck:

For the record, I don't play xcom like an idiot, I just pulled everyone back to the bugged out soldier to see what would happen when they all died. I still really don't get it though. My ranger was knocked out so I revived her. It was my first time reviving someone so I figured okay maybe it takes a cooldown before they can act again so I just healed her on the next turn. After that she just stood there unselectable. Mission ends with everyone KIA and her captured, so...she stayed unconscious?

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

mellowjournalism posted:

For the record, I don't play xcom like an idiot, I just pulled everyone back to the bugged out soldier to see what would happen when they all died. I still really don't get it though. My ranger was knocked out so I revived her. It was my first time reviving someone so I figured okay maybe it takes a cooldown before they can act again so I just healed her on the next turn. After that she just stood there unselectable. Mission ends with everyone KIA and her captured, so...she stayed unconscious?

Weird stuff like this can happen sometimes if any physics (fire, building collapse, etc) gets applied to the tile with the unconscious body. I think what happens is that ragdoll effects get applied to some parts of the soldier but not others, so you can end up with the body on one tile but the trooper on another, which in turn breaks other stuff. I've never had what you're describing happen to me, but I've been unable to recover unconscious soldiers due to above physics fuckery. Usually I just rationalise it as the soldier getting trapped under building rubble and start training up a replacement.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Yeah, the game still occasoinally has really stupid bugs. In LW2, i learned the hard way that if a sectoid has mind-controlled one of your guys and you can't effecitvely kill or flashbang him before the end of turn, do NOT decide to get all clever and have your ranger Arc Thrower the mind controlled guy to pacify him until MC wears off. The mind control will end, but the soldier stays stunned forever. Or rather, even stupider, you get control back but all you can do is move - all action abilities, like shooting, remain completely disabled indefinitely.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Backhand posted:

Yeah, the game still occasoinally has really stupid bugs. In LW2, i learned the hard way that if a sectoid has mind-controlled one of your guys and you can't effecitvely kill or flashbang him before the end of turn, do NOT decide to get all clever and have your ranger Arc Thrower the mind controlled guy to pacify him until MC wears off. The mind control will end, but the soldier stays stunned forever. Or rather, even stupider, you get control back but all you can do is move - all action abilities, like shooting, remain completely disabled indefinitely.
While not relevant to this bug, wouldn't taking the skill that lets arc throwers disorient on a miss solve this problem? Just shoot in at the Sectoid and you're guaranteed at least the disorient.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Dear God, Sting Grenades are loving amazing. First time I used them, a supply line raid with two big pods, the population of one was ADVENT Heavy Gunners, Sergeants, Advanced Troopers/Officers, and a MEC. The other had a MEC and 2 Sectoids with 5 Viper variants. When I engaged the ADVENT pod, the alien one decided, on the next turn, to come across the train and engage with them. One Sting Grenade stunned all 7 of the alien units at once. It was absolutely ridiculous.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
So the only way to get a psi ops exp is to train him? Nothing on the battlefield helps right?

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

xxEightxx posted:

So the only way to get a psi ops exp is to train him? Nothing on the battlefield helps right?

Indeed, so use your regular soldiers to finish off aliens or you'll lose out on the kill xp.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

xxEightxx posted:

And if he gets wounded he has to stop training while he recovers!

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
expansion soon

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Gyshall posted:

expansion soon

source your quotes

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Has the Long War team made any balance changes to the maps in the mod? I started playing LW 2 for a bit on release but got fed up with the ultra huge maps that made for some stupid timed missions. I remember one where I literally had to double move continuously for 12 turns to even come close to making the extraction point.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Supply raids on train maps are... efficient.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Friction posted:

Supply raids on train maps are... efficient.

As someone who doesn't play with LW2 but uses the LW Studios Advent pack...am I a horrible person that my favorite corpse on that pile is the ADVENT gunner?

gently caress those guys so hard. One would think the trooper recolor that would be the worst would be the grenadier or rocketeer. Nope it's the guy with a minigun that hits like a freight train compared to everyone else. Every other enemy will be doing 4-5 damage on a hit, and that fucker will do 8-9.

So many rookies and squaddies lost to those assholes. Go straight to ded, don't pass your bleed-out check, don't get 200 alloys.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

MikeC posted:

Has the Long War team made any balance changes to the maps in the mod? I started playing LW 2 for a bit on release but got fed up with the ultra huge maps that made for some stupid timed missions. I remember one where I literally had to double move continuously for 12 turns to even come close to making the extraction point.

This is flat-out a lie or the result of a map pack mod. I've never encountered anything remotely resembling a map that requires 12 turns of dashing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlotte of Oz
Feb 26, 2015

gay mer girl
So Beags has some good advice from last month at PC Gamer on Shinobis and Technicals. How're you all building your Gunners and Rangers? There's a lot of good perks in the tree and I have decision paralysis.