Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Dr Cheeto posted:

You can turn any word into a slur if you try hard enough

You loving LECTURER.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

gandlethorpe posted:

I wonder if humans in OW use "robot" as a slur for omnics. Like how "Jew" isn't a technically offensive word, but if you say it with a certain emphasis it becomes a slur.

Filthy ROH-bots

There's graffiti on King's Row that says stuff like "Scrap all robots!" so yes.

jarbv
Jul 10, 2004

Bastion isn't an omnic he's my friend

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

New idea Blizzard revert the game back to launch and don't touch it. You can make skins but that's it.

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

:yeah:
anybody havin an issue since the last patch where the game stutters real bad every few minutes? I saw one suggestion to change fps from display based but that didnt do anything

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

AfroGunsou posted:

anybody havin an issue since the last patch where the game stutters real bad every few minutes? I saw one suggestion to change fps from display based but that didnt do anything

did you actually raise the FPS cap any when you set it to custom?

check if your GPU or CPU are getting maxed out otherwise, and be sure to close battle.net launcher as well

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Duck and Cover posted:

New idea Blizzard revert the game back to launch and don't touch it. You can make skins but that's it.

If this is what it takes to get the good Fan back I will take it.

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

:yeah:

Minrad posted:

did you actually raise the FPS cap any when you set it to custom?

check if your GPU or CPU are getting maxed out otherwise, and be sure to close battle.net launcher as well

Wasnt using any more resources than usual. Never had a problem with the battlenet launcher staying minimized before but i set it to exit on launch and set custom fps again, exitted the gane and relaunched and it seems fine so far. Weird

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

Nihilarian posted:

Anchora, which could have just been the name they used while designing her

https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/heroes/orisa/

quote:

Orisa serves as the central anchor of her team, and defends her teammates from the frontline with a protective barrier. She can attack from long range, fortify her own defenses, launch graviton charges to slow and move enemies, and deploy a Supercharger to boost the damage output of multiple allies at once.

I don't think it's much of a reach to assume that it's true honestly.

The a in orisa is just me pointing out that she's and edited bot that had the same name with an A on the end.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Osira's suck orb keeps throwing me off. I mean figuratively, not literally. Every time I get caught it in, the animation for getting sucked in is too similar to Tracer's recall and it always weirds me out when I'm playing not-Tracer.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Theta Zero posted:

Osira's suck orb keeps throwing me off. I mean figuratively, not literally. Every time I get caught it in, the animation for getting sucked in is too similar to Tracer's recall and it always weirds me out when I'm playing not-Tracer.

It totally feels more jarring than Zarya's ult ever does, probably because instead of getting calmly sucked in, you are just getting yanked a few feet and it's super disorienting

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

I appreciate the BFG-like streams that connect to enemies while the orb is in flight because I like launching it above people :hellyeah:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Duck and Cover posted:

more like revert it back to immediately after the widow nerf + implement hero limit

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I installed PTR because of Orisa and it was a good move because she is a good robot and really fun to play and you can just take hot steamy dumps on basically everyone if you've got shield up.

I feel like they're going to nerf her clip size though. You can just sit on mouse1 and reload after the entire enemy team is dead.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Goddamn false advertising

https://gfycat.com/BackSmoothAfricancivet

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

more like revert it back to immediately after the widow nerf + implement hero limit

No way man 2 Tracer 2 Winston 2 Luico meta was ~so~ exciting.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
So, major bug on the PTR. If you ever become tiny D.Va for any reason, when you get back in your Meka, Defense Matrix no longer works. It just doesn't turn on, you can't use it.

The only fix is to respawn inside your Meka, so a Mercy res still triggers the bug.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I also want competitive and the Torb buffs but whatever I've given up hope on this game improving.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Mar 3, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

kimcicle posted:

No way man 2 Tracer 2 Winston 2 Luico meta was ~so~ exciting.

i actually kind of enjoyed it but a) i'm a filthy deviant tracer player and b) it wasn't good for the game and i don't pretend otherwise and most importantly c) i did not enjoy 6 tracer stalling meta

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
Man I can't believe being able to stack heroes actually went to launch

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Orisa strikes me more as a force multiplier/support tank like Zarya than an "anchor" like Reinhardt, but it's early. Her entire kit just works and I really like how she has no damage falloff and all her abilities come out nearly instantly. Damage reduction from Fortify has great synergy with armor, and she has environment kill potential. Only thing that sucks is her gigantic head critbox.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Is it just me or is Junkrat's Total Mayhem not doing any damage on PTR?

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Icedude posted:

Check to see if it's just a server option.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Theta Zero posted:

Check to see if it's just a server option.

A server option in Quick Play?

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Icedude posted:

A server option in Quick Play?

Oh wait, I forgot total mayhem is his suicide ability. I was thinking you were just playing on total mayhem.

I haven't noticed it, but that's probably because I never see Junkrat.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I never want it to go back to launch because my boy Zenyatta would be so weak then.

Edit: Go back to this except also before they started loving with Hogs hook. All the fixes have made him more and more frustrating to play against.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

gnome7 posted:

So, major bug on the PTR. If you ever become tiny D.Va for any reason, when you get back in your Meka, Defense Matrix no longer works. It just doesn't turn on, you can't use it.

The only fix is to respawn inside your Meka, so a Mercy res still triggers the bug.

Alright so we're gonna have that go live for a week or so, since everything that gets to PTR gets patched to production as-is.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Icedude posted:

Wrong, I saw it get a kill. An enemy Junkrat managed to drop his death bombs on top of our Mercy who was caught in a trap. Those moments when you can see that your healer is about to die and you can't do anything to help them are :magical: .

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
Oh good, a tank with a damage reduction ability. That'll spice up the meta

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah like I love the new hero but the next new one better have sentry bastion dps with tracer level mobility. There's already enough ehp to desperately chew through.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Okay, this isn't me just saying PoTG is broken and dumb, but I feel like after this update it's been more broken and dumb than usual, because I've had (and watched) a ton of games now where people do things like solo quad kills or helping with a team wipe and the PoTG decides that things like a Reinhardt accidentally bumping into somebody and getting an assist off of it then dying is more notable.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Theta Zero posted:

Okay, this isn't me just saying PoTG is broken and dumb, but I feel like after this update it's been more broken and dumb than usual, because I've had (and watched) a ton of games now where people do things like solo quad kills or helping with a team wipe and the PoTG decides that things like a Reinhardt accidentally bumping into somebody and getting an assist off of it then dying is more notable.

Though I'm kind of siding with Blizzard here in that most [something something] shouldn't automatically mean PotG. There's nothing particularly interesting about the Mercy waiting for 4 people to die and pressing Q, or any Bastion highlight at all, especially this week. Sometimes on the internet you see really weird PotGs that make little sense, but I seem to never run into those in-game.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Bolivar posted:

Though I'm kind of siding with Blizzard here in that most [something something] shouldn't automatically mean PotG. There's nothing particularly interesting about the Mercy waiting for 4 people to die and pressing Q, or any Bastion highlight at all, especially this week. Sometimes on the internet you see really weird PotGs that make little sense, but I seem to never run into those in-game.

No, it's always been like that.

But I'm just seeing more and more PoTG that highlights something completely mundane over something that actually deserves it, as opposed to before where it just highlighted something somewhat inane over something that actually deserves it.

I mean, before it kind of made sense because it really liked things like environmental kills and headshots. But now it's highlighting plays that often times were done better by somebody else in the same game. Like a Symmetra just getting two kills on weak enemies retreating whereas earlier in the same exact game, a Soldier 76 caps four enemies in a team fight.

Theta Zero fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Mar 3, 2017

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
i went 8-2 and placed 2015, one of my two losses was a troll team of 5 dps, this game sux

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

A pretty high proportion of the POTGs I tend to see have to do with some kind of "being useful" behavior. Hell I've even seen Widowmaker POTGs where she kills a couple people on Volskaya B Defense, giving the defenders enough room to respawn and regroup. The famous torb gif where he just falls off the back of Hanamura A still has him getting points for his turret defending the cap. Reaper falling and pressing Q to kill 4 people in a place of no real urgency (like between A and the factory entrance in King's Row) is probably going to lose out to a Reaper doing it on the point a couple minutes later but only killing 3 people. Certain modifiers apply to actions, like killing someone on the objective rather than near their spawn, making those objective kills more heavily weighted for POTG.

Sure it breaks down somewhat if you have a boring game where nothing really happens outside Symmetra getting killed inside her own car wash but the inputs are garbage on that, you're going to get poo poo in the output. It'd be cooler if they figured out how to identify good assist work (e.g. a POTG featuring pharah raining justice but also the McCree who killed their Reinhardt or Mercy a few seconds before that) because it's inherently biased toward multikills or big resurrections, but that's probably a pipe dream. If the POTG system works the way I'm guessing, it picks out the 10 seconds or so with the biggest/quickest score increase and just plays that. Sometimes you get some "kill someone on the point while blocking damage and healing yourself" type stuff but if they were to also pick up the clutch kill beforehand that makes the multikills able to be pulled off they'd have to check for a support/tank kill in the few seconds before the score spike they'd be playing anyway. Then you'd get stuff like Roadhog icing a Symmetra halfway across the map followed by a high noon because computers don't do nuance.

ExParrot
May 6, 2013

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
We need more sombra POTGs which have to do with emp-ing at critical times, I feel like she loses out and gets no recognition when assisting in other POTGs

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
the best part about Orisa is that she has real vulnerabilities, flankers are fairly good against her due to her bigass hitboxes+immobile barrier, and Pharah/Snipers are real good. she does poorly against someone at a distance and has difficulty defending against shots from highground(in comparison to shots from somewhere level to where she is), and that coupled with her giant head means a good Widow/Hanzo can eat her alive

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Theta Zero posted:

No, it's always been like that.

But I'm just seeing more and more PoTG that highlights something completely mundane over something that actually deserves it, as opposed to before where it just highlighted something somewhat inane over something that actually deserves it.

I mean, before it kind of made sense because it really liked things like environmental kills and headshots. But now it's highlighting plays that often times were done better by somebody else in the same game. Like a Symmetra just getting two kills on weak enemies retreating whereas earlier in the same exact game, a Soldier 76 caps four enemies in a team fight.

How fast are those Sym kills compared the soldier? POTGs only happen in a certain amount of time which in my opinion is about 5 seconds too short.

I think POTGs are tied to your fire points but gaining fire in a short amount of time is very lopsided for certain characters over others (Reaper vs Ana, for instance). I think if they adjusted how you gain fire on some characters loke they did Mercy, it would make POTGs more interesting.

Using Ana as an example, purpling or sleeping enemies should give her a big boost in fire points. People want to see Ana POTGs but they don't want to see the ones where she just grenades a Hog and shoots him in the rear end for 10 seconds.

Dyz fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Mar 3, 2017

Shazaminator
Oct 11, 2007
The power of Shazam compels you!

Manatee Cannon posted:

there's only one omnic in the game (zenyatta). orisa and bastion are just regular robots. idk what the distinction actually is, but it's there

Jeff calls Orisa an omnic in the intro video, don't argue with Jeff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I did see a Lucio PotG the other day where all he did was finish off an ulting Genji. Also the game almost instantly ended after that kill (with the Lucio losing) so I couldn't even tell he got an elim until I paused it on the replay.