Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

e X posted:

That was a good video. It is sad to see great villain characters go, but it's kind of the result of Disney movies having much more complex narratives theses days, which I consider generally a good thing.

Yea, but on the other hand, Hans' heel turn in Frozen comes out of NOWHERE. You can't just cheat by having someone decide to turn evil for no real reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

WampaLord posted:

Yea, but on the other hand, Hans' heel turn in Frozen comes out of NOWHERE. You can't just cheat by having someone decide to turn evil for no real reason.

I saw it coming a mile off, but I had been playing a fuckton of Crusader Kings 2 before i saw Frozen and the whole thing stunk of another sassy royal brat angry about succession.

Gotta get them inheritances somewhere, Primogeniture Son!

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tatum Girlparts posted:

what is it with white supremacists and poo poo like ~Old Norse~ anyway?

Like, I get the actual reason, but what non-nazi cover do they use to pretend to deeply and honestly care about a dead religion that was loosely defined to begin with and 99% of them have no actual cultural ties to?

European cultural identity that is non-christian

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I figured he was gonna go douche as soon as I heard he was like the 7th son or whatever. Still, the whole point of classic Disney villains is they just kinda own that they're the bad guy near right away, you traditionally don't need to know 'ah see because he's far from the top of the line of succession I bet he'll try to usurp the queen of THIS country to get a throne'. Ursula doesn't need some elaborate betrayal scheme, she just sings about 'poor unfortunate souls' getting screwed over by her right away. Scar straight up tells everyone 'yo gently caress the king I hope he dies' at every chance.

Complex stories (and honestly I'd argue that Disney isn't getting any more complex with those at all) and bombastic villains aren't exclusive. I'd consider both Mermaid and Lion King to be solid, full, stories and they have the most overt and cackling villains of the genre.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you see a crypto nazi repping norse poo poo it's almost always in opposition to christian values, with the norse poo poo usually being modern synthesized anti-christianity

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Complex stories (and honestly I'd argue that Disney isn't getting any more complex with those at all) and bombastic villains aren't exclusive. I'd consider both Mermaid and Lion King to be solid, full, stories and they have the most overt and cackling villains of the genre.

I didn't say they weren't solid stories, I said I don't think they are very complex. And if you take for example Ursula, I don't think you can really call her a complex villain. I mean, she literally doesn't have motivation for wanting to rule the sea, aside from a vague lust for power. And the same is basically true for the Evil queen, Maleficent or the Stepmother from Cinderella.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Tatum Girlparts posted:

what is it with white supremacists and poo poo like ~Old Norse~ anyway?

Like, I get the actual reason, but what non-nazi cover do they use to pretend to deeply and honestly care about a dead religion that was loosely defined to begin with and 99% of them have no actual cultural ties to?

***TRADITION***

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Neo-pagan stuff and asatru/odinism is also just pretty cool and most of them I've ever known aren't anything nearing bigots.

Totally-not-nazis trying to rep those things are just another instance of assholes loudly trying to co-opt and poison cultures and beliefs. :shrug:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

e X posted:

I didn't say they weren't solid stories, I said I don't think they are very complex. And if you take for example Ursula, I don't think you can really call her a complex villain. I mean, she literally doesn't have motivation for wanting to rule the sea, aside from a vague lust for power. And the same is basically true for the Evil queen, Maleficent or the Stepmother from Cinderella.

yea but if that's the standard Hans isn't complex at all. He's pissed he's kid number whatever and never going to see the throne, he fucks Elsa over to get hers. He's exactly as complex as Scar is. The mom in Tangled was maybe a little complex but nothing big enough to stand out, just kinda a typical selfish abusive parent of the hero type. I'd say the closest Disney gets a complex villain yet Moana's but that's mainly because that goddess being mad at the hero for being a dick is just Pele's story with the names carved off

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yardbomb posted:

Neo-pagan stuff and asatru/odinism is also just pretty cool and most of them I've ever known aren't anything nearing bigots.

Totally-not-nazis trying to rep those things are just another instance of assholes loudly trying to co-opt and poison cultures and beliefs. :shrug:

I think the impulse is the same though. "Resurrecting" pre-christian values as a replacement for Christian worldview, and synthesizing a set of values from incoherent fossil and literature records.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think what makes it so attractive to the Far-right is that it represents a mythical past before the corruption of a worldview they no longer, or never believed in. It can be simultaneously nostalgic and "traditional" while being radically different that the actual prevailing christian traditions of the culture.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I'm sure plenty of them picked it up from their favorite black metal bands, because the only people who like black metal to begin with are massive nerds.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It's an attempt to cobble together a coherent white culture, even though whiteness is an historical construct from long after the extinction of European paganism. They want to claim an ancient and unbroken tradition to cargo-cult the things they see other people doing with actual, living cultural traditions so they can validate whiteness as a concept or tradition. It's kind of something they aped from the actual, non-anime nazis. I do agree that they ignore christian Europe because they are antimodern reactionaries, and that because it's a dead and ancient culture it is easier to mythologize.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Alaois posted:

I'm sure plenty of them picked it up from their favorite black metal bands, because the only people who like black metal to begin with are massive nerds.

Honestly I'd be super cool with someone who just up front owned that they got into odinism because of Amon Amarth or whoever else.

Also unless I'm missing something I don't get what the problem would be with wanting to reject a "christian worldview" version of whatever you'd like to own from your culture's history. If you have any kind of nordic ancestry as plenty of people do, why wouldn't you want to remember and hype the most interesting parts of your old rear end people imo.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 1, 2017

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
maybe people are confused with not obvious or has a reason other than "muh evil"

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yardbomb posted:

Honestly I'd be super cool with someone who just up front owned that they got into odinism because of Amon Amarth or whoever else.

Also unless I'm missing something I don't get what the problem would be with wanting to reject a "christian worldview" version of whatever you'd like to own from your culture's history. If you have any kind of nordic ancestry as plenty of people do, why wouldn't you want to remember and hype the most interesting parts of your old rear end people imo.

I'm not saying it's a problem, I just see that as the root of it, and something that can be very appealing to people on the far right who need a powerful cultural myth.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

unfortunately, I was thinking more of people like Varg Vikernes

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Norwegian/Swedish Black Metal is a pretty good example because there is a direct path from anti-christian satanism, to anti-christian Wotanism, and then to far-right nostalgia.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Also despite what a lot of modern norse influenced neo pagans like to claim, there is a huge cross over between racists and odinism/asatru/etc. Part of it has to do with how the prison system works. In prison you're given a lot more rights and freedoms if you're religious. Not ones that seem important to people outside of the system but ones that are extremely important in the system. For instance you can meet in a safe space and choose who gets to be in that space. For this reason racial gangs in the prison system have tended to all gather around specific fringe religions that aren't overtly racist (racial supremacist beliefs like the Nation of Islam or the Creativity Movement are banned in prisons for obvious reasons) but just racial enough that no one outside your chosen racial group would ever want to be a part of them. So naturally when Asatru specifically started gaining steam it was immediately coopted by a huge population of whites only gangs in prisons because for all intents and purposes it's a white religion. Also it doesn't help that Norse paganism specifically has always been a big thing with white supremacists going back to the days of the Nazi obsession with Volkisch movements and Himmler's obsession with ancient history and runes. Even when you look at bands like Amon Amarth their fan base (and Viking/Folk/Black metal in general) has always been uncomfortably full of people with legitimately terrible beliefs (not just Varg, but people like Nödtveidt as well).

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Also despite what a lot of modern norse influenced neo pagans like to claim, there is a huge cross over between racists and odinism/asatru/etc. Part of it has to do with how the prison system works. In prison you're given a lot more rights and freedoms if you're religious. Not ones that seem important to people outside of the system but ones that are extremely important in the system. For instance you can meet in a safe space and choose who gets to be in that space. For this reason racial gangs in the prison system have tended to all gather around specific fringe religions that aren't overtly racist (racial supremacist beliefs like the Nation of Islam or the Creativity Movement are banned in prisons for obvious reasons) but just racial enough that no one outside your chosen racial group would ever want to be a part of them. So naturally when Asatru specifically started gaining steam it was immediately coopted by a huge population of whites only gangs in prisons because for all intents and purposes it's a white religion. Also it doesn't help that Norse paganism specifically has always been a big thing with white supremacists going back to the days of the Nazi obsession with Volkisch movements and Himmler's obsession with ancient history and runes. Even when you look at bands like Amon Amarth their fan base (and Viking/Folk/Black metal in general) has always been uncomfortably full of people with legitimately terrible beliefs (not just Varg, but people like Nödtveidt as well).

And I thought this derail was just going to be a bunch of posters chewing the cud about something we all know; here we have a legitimately enlightening post. Thank you for posting something that is new information I had never heard before, and not just being the ninth person rewording the same basic ideas.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Yardbomb posted:

Because, and I say this speaking as a quarter Swedish by blood, my nordic ancestry was by and large obsessed with going around pillaging, raiding, and basically being barbaric in the true sense of the term, and I'd rather not celebrate that. Sure, it wasn't all going a-viking but I have to remember that part of history.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Oh gently caress yes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQvbCnD23I0

The existence of Jeanny will always weird me out.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Falco is not a one hit wonder wtf

(Disclaimer: I grew up in Austria)

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

ZeeBoi posted:

Falco is not a one hit wonder wtf

(Disclaimer: I grew up in Austria)

And Rock Me Amadeus is not even remotely his best song.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Amadeus is just such a fun word to chant

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
Todd gave remarkably short shrift to Wiener Blut, because some of the imagery in that video is crazy.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
Super Bunnyhop loses it trying to explain Nier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8xx4sT6rEI

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d732rPkjqOU

HIstory Buffs review of Dances with Wolves. The second half of the review goes into greater detail of the plains nations, and so naturally the comments are a cesspit arguing about the DAPL.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I guess he counts cause of his KO Gaming channel? Maybe?

Phil has been making monthly videos complaining about not being able to make ends meet, and explaining why he wont do smart things to actually help his problem out (keeping a condo, moving to a gated community with a big house for only 2 people). It seems his recent video where he discloses how much he makes got him canned for machinama

Honestly I'm surprised machinama did it, and not twitch or youtube with how much phil poo poo talks them

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

machinima is terrible but so is dsp so gently caress 'em all

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

turns out living the dream of making a living by playing video games is often undercut by the harsh reality that you never learned how to properly hold a job . holy gently caress that is such a stupid way to get yourself fired.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d732rPkjqOU

HIstory Buffs review of Dances with Wolves. The second half of the review goes into greater detail of the plains nations, and so naturally the comments are a cesspit arguing about the DAPL.

I hadn't seen this movie, so I haven't watched this video in particular, but I did check out some other reviews and I really like this guy's approach of primarily using the movies as a vehicle to talk about the history the movie is about.

That Saving Private Ryan video where he shows that the surrendering soldiers were saying "Don't shoot, I'm not German, I'm Czech" is such a crazy detail for something that I don't think the good majority of people are ever going to catch. Great channel, and I'm glad that with all the crap that goes on in this thread, I can at least find cool stuff like this here.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Fun fact: DSP was planned to join Channel Awesome before you could monetize let's plays on YouTube but he got kicked off blip for making jokes about killing jews.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

watho posted:

Fun fact: DSP was planned to join Channel Awesome before you could monetize let's plays on YouTube but he got kicked off blip for making jokes about killing jews.

what is it with real dumb nerds making extremely lovely jew "jokes"

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Safe bet's on South Park. I heard a lot of idiots parroting Cartman's cartoonishly absurd anti-semitism growing up, doubtless not all of them grew out of it.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,

financially racist posted:

nerd ideology is fundamentally right-wing and antisemitism fits perfectly into their aesthetics?

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

financially racist posted:

It's along the same line of calling people faggots, etc. They don't feel or see the impact of the name-calling and joke-making, to them it's just for the "lols" or part of their vernacular.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Yeah, most nerds are super sheltered, so they tend not to understand that real, harmful racism/sexism/homophobia/etc. exists, right now, in the real world, and hurts real, actual people. That, and/or they believe that it's isolated to ignorant rednecks or whatever, so it's obvious that they, being smart people, would never actually believe Bad Thing! It's just like if I said the sky was pink! It's so funny because I am self-evidently not terrible!

I wonder if also a lot of them are struggling with undiagnosed depression or similar problems, and have trouble dealing with strong feelings, so they try to affect an image of being "strong" and "above" such petty concerns, which makes joking about terrible things OK, because getting offended means you gave in to the feelings, which means you lose. That was my motivation behind it when I was an edgelord kid.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, basically the Holocaust is generally held up as one of the most evil acts in history (because, y'know, it was spectacularly evil), so if you're the kind of person who breaks taboos in an attempt to show your courage, dead Jew jokes are a really obvious go-to. There's often no real animus behind it, just a desire to stand out by doing the bad thing that 'the man' doesn't want them to do... and then they get picked up and radicalised by people who actually do think murdering all Jews is a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

ZeeBoi posted:

It's along the same line of calling people faggots, etc. They don't feel or see the impact of the name-calling and joke-making, to them it's just for the "lols" or part of their vernacular.

Fun fact: Thanks to spending too much time on 4chan as a teenager, I used both human being and jew far too liberally! Then I used those words in front of Jewish and gay people, who told me to knock it off, since it was hurtful. So I did!

Social interaction: it works!

• Locked thread