Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

JugbandDude posted:

I was going for Taka due to the sheer smugness and self-righteousness in that post. But then again, Mr. Mothman is about the same, I truly can't tell one from the other.

So I guess I fail at obsessively hating the bad video game. At the same time, I succeed in narrowing down the list of suspects, so the FYAD guys can take me to internet jail now.

Mothman is more passive aggressive, Tarka is more combative (and slightly more stupid).

They're much the same I guess, but you wouldn't see Tarka open with a grammar complaint

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Seriously though I've got a whole heap of unused humble bundle codes that I should probably give away

There is a thread for that.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3513572

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
Lumberyard GDC 2017

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ssj_Qd4hGB4

:gary:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/125631497?t=2h16m27s

AP fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Mar 3, 2017

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

aleksendr posted:

Love the thousand hours in elite while saying its a bad game. FFS i dont even have that many free hours to play in a year. Paid shill detected.

I've "only" managed about 700 hours of Rocket League since it came out and that was with my being unemployed for 6 months or so shortly after its release. Would have been way less otherwise.
1100 hours in Elite and then not recommending it is just :rolleyes:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/125631497?t=2h27m45s

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

All it's missing is a coke, fresh off the bottle.

e: holy poo poo, it is a genuine Doobie's. I can't believe I recognized this at a glance, what have I done with my life! :smith:

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Mar 3, 2017

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

The raw onion is really triggering me. Mods?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Virtual Captain posted:

Eternator injection confirmed for 3.0. Praise the Stimperor

Welp, underwear options clinches a no sale for me. I don't want ANYTHING Roberts near my junk. No way, no how.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Baxta posted:

Raw onion is good though, the lack of visible dog is what triggers me

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Wait. There's really no dog in those buns, is there? That's just a huge heap of ketchup and onions on bread?

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

There are no fries, "piled high" or otherwise.

A shameful doob

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

aleksendr posted:

Time to re-download and pach that up then. Looks like another subject wont survive his interrogation tonight.

Good. Let none survive.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Wait. There's really no dog in those buns, is there? That's just a huge heap of ketchup and onions on bread?

There was a blocker but it should be coming out of the new refactored pipeline any minute now.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

biglads posted:

There are no fries, "piled high" or otherwise.

A shameful doob

The fries just plum give out

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I literally don't even understand the premise or purpose behind 'archiving for future reference' a guy's tweets.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

TrustmeImLegit posted:

I literally don't even understand the premise or purpose behind 'archiving for future reference' a guy's tweets.
Maybe he'll want to purge them from the internets, kinda like the manual for Battlecruiser Millenium Gold is off-limits on replacementdocs.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5x7jm4/after_this_atv_none_of_you_get_to_say_cig_shows/deg988w/

:psyduck:

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Is Eric Smarf the new flavor of the month for Derek Smart?

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

So after Arena Commander and the PU, they've run out of things, and have to start listing out subcomponents of the PU.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
These people have serious brain damage :psyduck:

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://www.reddit.com/r/DerekSmart/comments/5vfci8/derek_smart_on_something_awful_how_dumb_are_these/de3r4b9/

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Michaellaneous posted:

Is Eric Smarf the new flavor of the month for Derek Smart?

Yes. Because you see, of you use Derek Smarts true name then you will summon him. And they are afraid of that.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

aleksendr posted:

Remastered does not use the original, homeworld 1 physics based projectile system. Its RNG chance to hit and damage so it does not play exactly the same and more like your usual RTS.

You can Skip Moo1. It was very good for its time, but now tamagochi from the dollar store have more processing power that the PC it was designed for.

Moo2 is a classic that aged quite nicely. Like Alpha Centauri it need to be played by any 4X lover.

Moo3 is a special case. Some people like it, some people cant stand it. One of the complaint about Moo2 was that you had to micromanage nearly everything, one planet or fleet at a time, so past a certain point (say, 20+ systems) the game turned into a chore, making large map game boring past the first half.

They adressed this in Moo3, but went overboard, allowing you to automate nearly everything and making the scale so large that you need to use the automated system to get anywhere. You dont go to a shipyard and say "produce this ship model this turn", you instead go to your system governor, set priority to ship production via rules and look as all the shipyards in the sector begin spewing dozens of fighters that instantly set ahead to the rally point you designed. Some people want that in a 4X, other people complained the game could "play itself" once you put in a few basic rules and did not like it.

I did not have the time to play Moo4 yet.

It's a pity no one knows Stars!. It's the spiritual successor to VGA Planets and the graphics are rudimentary but I SWEAR TO GOD it's the best 4X game ever. I played that poo poo an unhealthy number of hours. You can fully customize your race to take wildly different approaches and gameplay styles, use mass drivers to send EVE sized asteroids to your enemy's planets, lay minefields, and a number of crazy poo poo you can't do in any other game. Since you can automate pretty much everything so if you go for a huge galaxy the whole thing devolves into an insane scale slaughter with dozens of battle fronts and a war economy that resembles WH40K. While you strip mine everything and send resources to foundry planets near the front your inner core becomes a factory of cannon fodder to fight in the massive invasions against whatever hosed up races inhabit the targets at the moment.

It's been over a decade since I last played it but if you get over the graphics there is genuine 4X gold in there.

e: I loving loved minefields, usually picked "extra mines" as a perk. planet killer sized asteroids are a valid strategy that is much harder to fight against but it's incredibly expensive to essentially make an asteroid out of rare metals.

e2: to clarify, the AI is perfectly serviceable to play solo, I doubt there is anyone in the world still playing this the BBS style multiplayer way

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Mar 3, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Or maybe spending $2,500 on DLC for a game that isn't even out yet is objectively loving stupid.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Baxta posted:

I could probate you for a bit if that would help.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I'm glad the Doobie saga is still alive in our hearts

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
poo poo, I hadn't thought about that game in ages. I really advise anyone that seriously likes 4X games to give it a try. It seems daunting at first but play a couple of rounds in a tiny galaxy against a single other race and you should get the hang of it. I remember the tutorials were enough to get the basics of the game and - most important of all - how to automate tasks. If you then want to explore the glorious depths of gameplay it allows for you would do well to read something online about race customization and different play styles just to get an idea of what can be done. You really can have entirely different game play experiences, and if you enjoy having a gigantic galaxy to conquer as well as depth then this is the game.

e: Warning if you go for the biggest galaxies late in the game a single turn can take a couple of hours even with all the automation simply due to the scale of the universe. You'll end up coordinating dozens of invasions, space battles, mine clearing, mine laying, adapting your ship production to fight the different enemies on different fronts, etc... I loved it but it can get really insane. I strongly advise people try tiny galaxies at first.

e2: it's not Dwarf Fortress levels of autism but it does takes a pinch of the 'tism to properly appreciate it.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Mar 3, 2017

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Probably nothing important.

I just like to imagine the redditors reading this thread frantically trying to figure out what we're doing next (hint: Nothing, because we are just watching and laughing now).

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

spacetoaster posted:

Probably nothing important.

I just like to imagine the redditors reading this thread frantically trying to figure out what we're doing next (hint: Nothing, because we are just watching and laughing now).

All the important operations info is in the platinum forum anyway.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Also I don't understand their subreddit moderating.

DSmartisGOD posts really trolly stuff with impunity but my tepid posts I make once a week usually just fact correcting something are shadowbanned and never appear.

edit: Well I sorta get it now. It gives the citizens their 2 minutes hate while mine bring up uncomfortable realities. But still.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Sappo569 posted:

Mystic Cave zOWNd
Dec 22, 2006

Trixie bravely turned her tail and fled

And there was much rejoicing.

MeLKoR posted:

It's a pity no one knows Stars!. It's the spiritual successor to VGA Planets and the graphics are rudimentary but I SWEAR TO GOD it's the best 4X game ever.

Seconding that Stars! absolutely owns bones. I still find it horrendously difficult to be honest, but I also get a kick out of the game declaring me a loser and clawing a niche out. My favourite race type is super stealth, nothing like being completely invisible and warping through minefields without giving a gently caress.

As for multiplayer, you can set up a game on a network share and effectively play it in realtime as long as you trust everyone to only use their own saves, or set up permissions I guess. It can be awkward to set up, but a Google drive folder would probably work.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

MeLKoR posted:

It's a pity no one knows Stars!. It's the spiritual successor to VGA Planets and the graphics are rudimentary but I SWEAR TO GOD it's the best 4X game ever. I played that poo poo an unhealthy number of hours. You can fully customize your race to take wildly different approaches and gameplay styles, use mass drivers to send EVE sized asteroids to your enemy's planets, lay minefields, and a number of crazy poo poo you can't do in any other game. Since you can automate pretty much everything so if you go for a huge galaxy the whole thing devolves into an insane scale slaughter with dozens of battle fronts and a war economy that resembles WH40K. While you strip mine everything and send resources to foundry planets near the front your inner core becomes a factory of cannon fodder to fight in the massive invasions against whatever hosed up races inhabit the targets at the moment.

It's been over a decade since I last played it but if you get over the graphics there is genuine 4X gold in there.

e: I loving loved minefields, usually picked "extra mines" as a perk. planet killer sized asteroids are a valid strategy that is much harder to fight against but it's incredibly expensive to essentially make an asteroid out of rare metals.

e2: to clarify, the AI is perfectly serviceable to play solo, I doubt there is anyone in the world still playing this the BBS style multiplayer way

If you haven't already played it, I would recommend trying Space Empires IV (the older versions are all 16-bit and don't run on 64-bit Windows, and SE V is very different). Minefields, satellites, baseships, blowing up planets/stars, building ringworlds etc. It has a couple of cool mods, too.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Sappo569 posted:

Let the kids!!!..... have their space game!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

:five::five::five:

also raw onions are bad and I'm not afraid to say it :colbert:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Beet Wagon posted:

also raw onions are bad and I'm not afraid to say it :colbert:

MODS?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Bofast posted:

If you haven't already played it, I would recommend trying Space Empires IV (the older versions are all 16-bit and don't run on 64-bit Windows, and SE V is very different). Minefields, satellites, baseships, blowing up planets/stars, building ringworlds etc. It has a couple of cool mods, too.

I'll definitely give it a go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
I didn't realise that some people eat raw onions who weren't lizardpeople australian politicians, what is wrong with you, put some heat on that junk