Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I brought Pokemon Y and a 3DS to play after a bad break up a few years ago. Got up to fighting the Legendary and haven't played since.

This LP is making me want to play it again purely on the grounds of not being a poo poo Pokemon game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

That link gave me exactly what I was expecting from it. Hau's battle theme from Gen VII is the only battle theme to even come close in quality.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

You have no idea how much I was hoping this would be a picture of Lucio dressed as Ludicolo (or vice versa). :(

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
That Jerboa needs a lightning bolt shape incorporated halfway down the tail, imo. Otherwise not a bad pokemon.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Johnny Joestar posted:

the weird little turd with a hat that turns into a nebulous dog/horse/deer thing with a hat doesn't really share that, unfortunately

What I really don't get is that there are, already, horse and deer pokemon that have base evolutions that are fawns and foals, and they evolve into adult deer and horses. Like, this makes sense, and is how the animals they are based on work in real life. But, for some reason, whoever designed this ground/steel (or whatever it is) deerhorse decided that, instead of making the starter evolution of the horsedeer a baby horsedeer, they should make it a bipedal orb that wears a helmet.

I just don't understand why, if you're going to design a Pokemon that is based on a real world animal, you would then make one of its evolutions have literally nothing in common with said animal, or any animal in general, or even the other Pokemon in its evolution line, and have the actual design be completely terrible on top. Like, they couldn't have been thinking "we have this cool design, what evolution can we make it a part of," because the design loving sucks and looks like zero effort or inspiration went into it.

I can't wait to see the rest of this game's designs.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 3, 2017

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
The tiny bat > giant hippo is pretty similar in that it just makes no sense at all. It's like the person who came up with that looked at Hippowdon, thought it made sense and that they wanted nothing to do with that. Why does a bat become a hippo?!

This somehow bugs me more than the ball to a deer thing.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Uranium is a big fan of the Goodra method of evolution, I see

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I love some Goomy, but its evolution method is completely awful.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Dragonatrix posted:

The tiny bat > giant hippo is pretty similar in that it just makes no sense at all. It's like the person who came up with that looked at Hippowdon, thought it made sense and that they wanted nothing to do with that. Why does a bat become a hippo?!

It really makes me think of Digimon, honestly, especially since the bat is such a Digimony design anyway. If they both have third evolutions that are weirdly humanoid and overdesigned, that'd basically clinch it.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Antivehicular posted:

It really makes me think of Digimon, honestly, especially since the bat is such a Digimony design anyway. If they both have third evolutions that are weirdly humanoid and overdesigned, that'd basically clinch it.

It doesn't. Not like it couldn't use one.

(hp/atk/def/speed/sp.atk/sp.def order for some reason)

BST of 430 is pitiful, and it's a boring-rear end pure poison type.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Dragonatrix posted:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here, I wouldn't call that thing a tiny bat. It's literally a ball with two nubs for legs, wings and Evee's tail slapped on. Like, I just looked at the game's wiki and it's literally called "poison ball pokemon" in its tagline description.

Somewhere, some time, someone trying to design their own Pokemon, with thousands of animals and mythological creatures to draw inspiration from, was like no, gently caress all of that, I'm going to make this Pokemon literally a ball. But, not just any ball, hecause there's a twist. It's actually a purple, poison ball. And it has wings. And a tail. And a mohawk.

It will evolve into a hippo.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Bogart posted:

I love some Goomy, but its evolution method is completely awful.

Goomy's evolution method is at least tolerable in SuMo as there's a route where it's always raining.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

And it's named "Tofurang" for some reason? Like, "Tonemy" I kind of get (toxic + enemy), but... Tofurang?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I would like to see a Tofu Boomerang Pokémon.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Antivehicular posted:

And it's named "Tofurang" for some reason? Like, "Tonemy" I kind of get (toxic + enemy), but... Tofurang?

It makes me think of "Tofu" and "Boomerang". Is it supposed to be a jab at tofu not tasting good? gently caress if I know (That's going to be my response to every "original" pokemon in this game isn't it?)

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

I will never not prefer the other one

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Randalor posted:

It makes me think of "Tofu" and "Boomerang". Is it supposed to be a jab at tofu not tasting good? gently caress if I know (That's going to be my response to every "original" pokemon in this game isn't it?)

Its a very subtle reference to "Lurch"

Tof, u rang?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

After doing more arduous research on the game's wiki I've learned that Barewl is the "iron sphere pokemon," while Tonemy is "poison ball pokemon," which means that there are at least two pokemon in the game that really just amount to "I'll make a ball." They both have different designers.

Antivehicular posted:

According to the wiki Tofurang is toxic, fur, and fang. It makes sense, since it is poison type, has fur, and also has teeth that debatebly could be called fangs. It's all accounted for.

What the hell Barewl is supposed to mean, on the other hand, is beyond even the wiki's understanding, so I imagine the only way to find out would be to ask the designer.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

turn off the TV posted:

What the hell Barewl is supposed to mean, on the other hand, is beyond even the wiki's understanding, so I imagine the only way to find out would be to ask the designer.

Unfortunately, that's impossible, as the original developers stopped providing updates before they even hit v1.1, thus leaving the fan community (IE Reddit) to finish the game and continue to provide updates and maintain the online server functionality.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It doesn't. Not like it couldn't use one.

(hp/atk/def/speed/sp.atk/sp.def order for some reason)

BST of 430 is pitiful, and it's a boring-rear end pure poison type.

Its best attack stat is 60. That's some Ledian tier poo poo right there.

E: I'm guessing Barewl/Deerewl's head thing is supposed to be a crown somehow, and it's Ball + Rewl (Rule). Which, if true, is... not a better rationale for the name than "I just typed letters at random."

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Mar 3, 2017

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

turn off the TV posted:

After doing more arduous research on the game's wiki I've learned that Barewl is the "iron sphere pokemon," while Tonemy is "poison ball pokemon," which means that there are at least two pokemon in the game that really just amount to "I'll make a ball." They both have different designers.

According to the wiki Tofurang is toxic, fur, and fang. It makes sense, since it is poison type, has fur, and also has teeth that debatebly could be called fangs. It's all accounted for.

Keep in mind that English isn't the only language to consider when trying to decipher names here. It's likely that some of the designers hail from Europe and Latin America at the least, meaning names could be derived from any number of other languages and dialects thereof (like how many of the names in Quartz were taken from Castilian Spanish). Granted, the official English localizations of Pokemon draw somewhat on other languages, but usually in way that a non-speaker of those languages won't be confused about the general etymology of the name.

Shiva Asori
Mar 5, 2010
one of the bigger problems uranium has is that you can never be able to buy lemonade, and only being able to buy soda pop on one day of the week.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
Caves Gym sounds like a terrible idea, and I guess it is.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

I honestly can't wait to see what other gym "themes" we will get. So far its been Sleep and Caves. I assume at least one gym will have an actual consistent type by being Nuclear themed, but otherwise its all up in the air. The only assured thing is that its bound to be disappointing.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."
It is cute in such a weird way.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Mar 3, 2017

GeminiSun
Feb 16, 2011

That is a god drat electric Moomba.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.

The name may be lousy, but honestly that design isn't half bad. I could actually buy that being a real pokemon.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Mr. Vile posted:

The name may be lousy, but honestly that design isn't half bad. I could actually buy that being a real pokemon.

yeah, uh, that is probably the first good-ish design, total. It's streamlined, clear in its influences, and has a good color scheme.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

You can't fool me! This is just a landorus hiding underground!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Begemot posted:

You can't fool me! This is just a landorus hiding underground!

Wait, wait

We've been looking at Bob Dennis all wrong.

He's just a jigglypuff seen from above.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Landoris and his brothers would right into this game's aesthetic

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tunicate posted:

Wait, wait

We've been looking at Bob Dennis all wrong.

He's just a jigglypuff seen from above.

Barewl looks like the result of a mad scientist attempting to splice a Bidoof with a Seedot, held together by shoddy cybernetics and the blood of unpaid interns.

Burger Flipper
Sep 14, 2015

by astral
In honor of his name, I made a lovely edit for the main character's sprite

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Burger Flipper posted:

This is much funnier than it has any right to be

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Okay, I worked out Tofurang's evolution.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Don't spoil future to-be-patched-in Pokemon like that, man. :(

The Splash
May 30, 2011

I'll never say hole again.

Johnny Joestar posted:

in the back of my mind i'd known i'd seen something like that before but didn't know the name, and yeah, this actually works a lot better than going a literal route. i would personally make the brain colors match the body more and keep it eyeless, maybe add some weird markings. would look a lot more official, in my opinion

That does seem to help it be less jarring:

I thought maybe cutting down on the pink and brain lines would help but instead it went from Brailip to Testilip.

E:

Burger Flipper posted:

This is great. Going forward it'll be impossible to not read OFS's comments in John Lithgow's voice.

The Splash fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 3, 2017

Burger Flipper
Sep 14, 2015

by astral

The Splash posted:

This is great. Going forward it'll be impossible to not read OFS's comments in John Lithgow's voice.

You mean it's not normal to read everything ever in his voice? Also, I really need to get better at sprite shading. I might actually make an updated version of that sprite some day.

To say something about the actual game being played though, I'm glad I never actually downloaded this game. It's already hitting all my fan game no-no's. I can forgive the somewhat questionable spritework. I'm personally not a fan of memes or really pop-culture references in general. A few here and there are fine though. I just get a feeling this won't just be a few.

Also, the unnecessarily dark start to the game is just a major turn-off. Not to mention the difficulty. Which I've heard is pretty bad, even before this LP.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

The Splash posted:

That does seem to help it be less jarring:

I thought maybe cutting down on the pink and brain lines would help but instead it went from Brailip to Testilip.

I borrowed your sprite for convenience for this, but:

I think we're missing the forest for the giant pulsating brain when it comes to brainfish. The problem's not the brain (that's creepy but fine). The problem is the lips that jut way out and don't look like they attach to any part of the fish's actual body. Make them smaller, add some gill lines, and it's... alright?

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Mar 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Mr. Vile posted:

Who doesn't like a fire farting ant???

• Locked thread