Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
CI stuff should always use CI-specific accounts and not someone's personal account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Plorkyeran posted:

not someone's personal account.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Doh004 posted:

Correct.

We've intentionally kept our AppDelegate extremely sparse. It contains a reference to our custom container view controller, an application startup manager and an app state manager. Any pertinent app-level notifications that the AppDelegate receives are then delegated out to those 3 dudes.

Also, please for the love of god, try not to statically reference your app delegate from everywhere via UIApplication.sharedApplication.

Makes sense. All updated and working cool now.

As a philosophical matter, though: what's the functional difference between doing this delegate pattern, and just calling methods/properties on self.parentViewController.tabBarController? It might just be that mine is a degenerate case, but I'm pretty sure I could have just set the variable in question on the custom tabBarController from tab A and then read it on viewWillAppear in tab B (actually the latter is what I'm doing, though I'm doing the setting through a delegate method).

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
No way was I considering putting my personal account in there. I was just wondering if you guys have one or more bot accounts setup in iTunes Connect. It doesn't seem like it's totally intended by Apple, but I don't see any alternative.

I'm also wishing there were a way to hit a web hook when a build finishes processing and hits TestFlight. I can use another dummy email address for that, but yeck.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Data Graham posted:

As a philosophical matter, though: what's the functional difference between doing this delegate pattern, and just calling methods/properties on self.parentViewController.tabBarController? It might just be that mine is a degenerate case, but I'm pretty sure I could have just set the variable in question on the custom tabBarController from tab A and then read it on viewWillAppear in tab B (actually the latter is what I'm doing, though I'm doing the setting through a delegate method).

It becomes a pain in the rear end when things change.

Next month when tabs are out and the new hotness is sloppy joe menus, your delegator just keeps trucking, but your reaches-into-its-tab-controlleror now has to change too.

And next year when you decide that, no, there really is a viable market on iPad and you break out the split view controller for your universal app, your delegator just keeps on trucking, but your container-touchers now have a bunch of "if iPad go here else go there".

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

ManicJason posted:

I'm also wishing there were a way to hit a web hook when a build finishes processing and hits TestFlight. I can use another dummy email address for that, but yeck.

With fastlane this is easy

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

Vesi posted:

With fastlane this is easy
I was just looking into their silly spaceship. Is there a better way than through polling?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

ManicJason posted:

I was just looking into their silly spaceship. Is there a better way than through polling?

No.

The iTunes Connect app gets push notifications when processing finishes but I can't think of a way to hook an automated tool into that. You should also get an email when processing finishes, so I guess you could IMAP IDLE or something? But this doesn't sound better than polling.

Also noticed https://github.com/fastlane/watchbuild today. Lil iTC poller.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

I was just refreshing this thread to edit in the same link.

I guess these are all 'good enough' options. I'm just stick of forgetting to update JIRA ticket status once a build posts an hour after I leave the office.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

ManicJason posted:

Use pilot in Fastlane to do this. It takes your .ipa that you built from gym, uploads it, waits for processing, and then distributes it out to testers.

ManicJason posted:

I was just refreshing this thread to edit in the same link.

I guess these are all 'good enough' options. I'm just stick of forgetting to update JIRA ticket status once a build posts an hour after I leave the office.

You could probably write a custom step after pilot finishes in your fastfile (it's just ruby) that hits a JIRA endpoint and automatically updates a ticket status.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Plorkyeran posted:

Your app delegate should not be the parent of any view controllers. It is a thing which accepts messages from the OS and directs them to the appropriate part of your application. This inherently requires a lot of knowledge about your app, but is not the same thing as being the "parent" object of the app.

So, is it OK or not to say window.rootViewController = MyAppRootViewController() in application didFinishLaunchingWithOptions if the AppDelegate doesn't deal with that root view controller itself after that?

I also am not sure how the app delegate directs them to the appropriate part of the app without either holding on to some kind of root, accessing a singleton, or using NSNotificationCenter. I'd like to get a clearer sense of what you're advocating.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Any opinions on RxCocoa with swift? Teammate wants to pull it into our project, which is really just a specialized data-entry form app. I guess it would allow us to handle networking stuff more elegantly or something?

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
Having used it for a couple of months on a production app, I'm still not particularly sold on it or the Rx paradigm.

Certainly, it makes it much easier to have everything observe everything. Though you probably want pretty well-defined patterns, or you get an unmitigated mess. It can be extremely difficult to figure out who's observing what, and the Xcode tools (e.g. Callers) provide no help. And it gets annoying if you want to include logs through all of your observing calls, and god forbid you have to deal with a stack trace or use a debugger.

Maybe it has potential for the benefits to outweigh the problems, I just haven't seen it yet.

Some of my coworkers who rave about how awesome it is have built RxSugar to improve it. I would recommend at least looking at it if you're going the RxSwift route, if for no other reason than it adds some convenient Observables to common UI objects.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
Given my poor experiences with Rx anything, I'd start out very skeptical of importing it. Creating a new conceptual system to build your app around is gonna have rabbit holes that you fall down from time to time.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

fleshweasel posted:

Any opinions on RxCocoa with swift? Teammate wants to pull it into our project, which is really just a specialized data-entry form app. I guess it would allow us to handle networking stuff more elegantly or something?

Promises might be a nice middle ground, as they make it much easier to compose asynchronous operations but don't require you to change everything everywhere. Especially handy for networking.

My real answer depends on how much is left in the budget and how far away is the deadline.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Same guy who pulled in rxcocoa shot down promisekit, so there may be some ehh communication/leadership problems. All we plan to do is make http requests so I thought promises would work great myself. We are still really early on in the project.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

There's no shortage of alternate libraries both for promises and for Rx, but I think you're right that your real problem is not "which library are we using today?". Seems weird to simultaneously push for full Rx and outright reject moving halfway there.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Ignoring Xcode and similar full-blown IDEs, what graphical OSX-based editors are popular here these days for simple code/script/.etc work?

(Specifically, for a lot of HTML/CSS/JS, PHP, Python, Shell scripts, and things like that.)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I use TextWrangler a lot but I'm lazy and stuck in my ways

http://www.barebones.com/products/TextWrangler/

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Small White Dragon posted:

Ignoring Xcode and similar full-blown IDEs, what graphical OSX-based editors are popular here these days for simple code/script/.etc work?

(Specifically, for a lot of HTML/CSS/JS, PHP, Python, Shell scripts, and things like that.)

I'm still using TextMate and it's still suiting my needs.

Powaqoatse posted:

I use TextWrangler a lot but I'm lazy and stuck in my ways

http://www.barebones.com/products/TextWrangler/

This is going away. Use BBEdit instead. It now has a free mode that has the same features as TextWrangler.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Yea I noticed, but thanks :)

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Sublime works great for the random ruby work that I do from time to time.

fleshweasel posted:

I do my best to not rely on third party libraries for how my application works. Isolated, single function use cases (networking, image caching etc)? Sure. The inner workings of how my application operates? You better have the best damned reason as to why to use it, otherwise no thanks.

But this is just me becoming more of an old man about it all :rant:

Kallikrates
Jul 7, 2002
Pro Lurker
I've been using vscode it's extendible almost to the point of being IDE like. Anymore if an editor doesn't have strong multi cursor support I don't consider it.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Small White Dragon posted:

MacVim, but I'm a horrible monster.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

I use TextMate, but I am not terribly happy with it. Its default auto correct settings are a bit ambitious and tend to molest things with closing tags and quotes. I've been doing some documentation today and am quite unhappy with its handling of markdown.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

ManicJason posted:

I use TextMate, but I am not terribly happy with it. Its default auto correct settings are a bit ambitious and tend to molest things with closing tags and quotes. I've been doing some documentation today and am quite unhappy with its handling of markdown.

The closing tags and quotes thing annoyed me to death until I discovered the hidden settings, and in particular, the `disableTypingPairs` option.

It's now in my box setup script.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

A little salty rn because I can't create an Action system item (i.e. a standard "share" button) anywhere except in a navigation bar or a toolbar, but Apple's News app gets to sprinkle tiny ones on all the article tiles :argh:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Make a little navbar/toolbar with a single item and add it to your view?

Alternately you can extract the system item images, there's a UIKit image Extractor app on github somewhere.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I already did the latter, but maybe the former would work too. I'm wanting to have kind of a floating toolbar in the middle of the view, with the share button and two other buttons on the right and some freeform text filling out the left. I made that all with regular views and buttons and the share item image, and I'll happily swap it all for a toolbar if it isn't nearly as hacky to make it look the way I want.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Toolbars can be either incredibly convenient or a big pain in the rear end, and in my experience it's not always obvious how it'll go before you start. It's probably worth a try. Flexible spaces are your friend!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

From what I'm finding a UIToolbar's height can't be changed, so that sucks. My little bar is quite a bit shorter than the default 44px, and my share icon is scaled down a bit. It'd probably be too obtrusive if I left it at the standard height.

Which brings me back to my gripe, which is that News gets to use tiny little versions of the share icon, grr.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

Toolbar height can be changed by setting a height constraint on it and changing the constant. I saw that JSQMessagesViewController uses this.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

If I create a UIBarButtonItem in code, with the systemItem of Done, the button comes out bold.
If I add a bar button item in Interface Builder and set its System Item to Done, the button isn't bold.

Is there any sane way to fix this? I believe the correct style is bold, so IB is doing the wrong thing here?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
UINavigationController is killing me. I'm programmatically inserting a view controller into a navigation controller and presenting the navigation controller. When I run my app on iPhone, the navigation bar is the correct height and it doesn't interfere with the status bar. When I run it on iPad, it's squashed and collides with the status bar. All my googling just brings up people dealing with iOS 7 issues and their solutions don't seem to affect my problem. Anyone have a clue what to do about this crap?

Back when I was using storyboards to wrap my view controllers in navigation controllers on a previous project, the height thing "just worked."

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Froist posted:

If I create a UIBarButtonItem in code, with the systemItem of Done, the button comes out bold.
If I add a bar button item in Interface Builder and set its System Item to Done, the button isn't bold.

Is there any sane way to fix this? I believe the correct style is bold, so IB is doing the wrong thing here?

Quoting myself, I narrowed this down to only happening after setting a tintColor for navigation bars or windows. Yay for inconsistency! (raised a Radar)

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Froist posted:

Quoting myself, I narrowed this down to only happening after setting a tintColor for navigation bars or windows. Yay for inconsistency! (raised a Radar)

This is an anecdote I tell students about for a number of reasons (sorry I couldn't have jumped in sooner). Setting the color of a title bar once broke my cell dragging code.

Similarly: this is why I ditched UITabBarController. Way too much chasing of whether or not my view controller's height is 'height' or 'height - tabbar' and completely inconsistent between OS versions.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
My job is having issues getting ahold of our corporate apple developer account. Support apparently will only send an email to the account that registered; we don't know who did so, but we do know they've since left the organization.

Has anyone dealt with something similar, and have any advice for proceeding :v: /swift/ly?

Any Apple goons around that can help us get this escalated? PM me that sweet side channel goodness.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Welp. Time to go back in time and murder my parents so they never have me so that I don't choose to use UICollectionView in an app.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

lord funk posted:

Welp. Time to go back in time and murder my parents so they never have me so that I don't choose to use UICollectionView in an app.

What would you do instead? It's a hell of a lot better than UITableView.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

What would you do instead? It's a hell of a lot better than UITableView.

Roll my own, the way I did for TC-11's editor. The layout calculation is simple enough, but it's just... so... buggy. View positioning gets off, views disappear, and it totally varies from iOS version to version. It's a grab bag of poo poo.