Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mmartinx
Nov 30, 2004
One of my favorite beers ever but I wonder if my perception will change buying a single can at a time with a pretty high markup with a bunch of beards patrolling the shelves at a Wegmans. Probably tastes a lot better walking out of The Warren Store with a couple no stress 4 packs and a cup of coffee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

http://spirits.blog.mystatesman.com/2017/02/21/celis-brewery-not-flemish-fox-will-bring-belgian-legacy-back-to-austin/

quote:

Preserving Pierre Celis’ legacy extends to many of the beers that Celis Brewery will have on tap, including Celis White and Celis Grand Cru, two of his most well-known beers. The Celis White will even be made with the same original Belgian yeast strain that he carefully preserved for many years, even after losing the rights to his Austin brewery.

“It’s been 17 years without the Celis White as he made it, as I have not had the one with the original yeast strain,” Christine says. “It’s such an important component of the beer.”

But when visitors come to Celis Brewery in its first month being open, that beer probably won’t be available just yet. She says she wants to launch with a trio of IPAs — a Belgian-style IPA and two New England-style IPAs — and have Pierre’s original brews debut in the following month or two, “to give (people) a reason to come back to the taproom,” she says.

Austin is a pretty tough beer town and I hope they hit home runs as far as the "original" Celis White and a locally done NEIPA :getin:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Apparently Surly is now distributing in Florida, but exclusive to total wine (which don't have stores close to me). Are they worth a special trip 45min out of my way to try?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Spanish Manlove posted:

Apparently Surly is now distributing in Florida, but exclusive to total wine (which don't have stores close to me). Are they worth a special trip 45min out of my way to try?

No NEIPA that you can Razzle, so no.

More serious answer: everything they brew is good but like a lot of regional breweries, you probably have just as good local options available. Coffee Bender is one of those beers that tastes just like cold brew, if you're into that.

danbanana fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 2, 2017

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
i quite enjoy the surly helles lager and saison in cans, theyre both pretty refreshing, but I wouldn't go out of my way for them i dont think

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

danbanana posted:

No NEIPA that you can Razzle, so no.

More serious answer: everything they brew is good but like a lot of regional breweries, you probably have just as good local options available. Coffee Bender is one of those beers that tastes just like cold brew, if you're into that.

Coffee bender was the one I always hear about and since I like coffee, I thought I'd like to try it. There's a few good local coffee porters/browns in the area (motorworks midnight espresso and CCB cubano espresso come to mind) and I wonder how it stacks up. CynicAle saison looks pretty cool though and I hope there's some when I finally feel like going to total wine.

Another problem with this is that closest total wine is in a neighborhood that has two really awesome independent bottle shops nearby and I feel weird making a special trip to go to a big store to buy something from out of state compared to supporting local. And the other total wine nearby has an abysmal exit from the parking lot, and is also right next to CCB.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Spanish Manlove posted:

Coffee bender was the one I always hear about and since I like coffee, I thought I'd like to try it. There's a few good local coffee porters/browns in the area (motorworks midnight espresso and CCB cubano espresso come to mind) and I wonder how it stacks up. CynicAle saison looks pretty cool though and I hope there's some when I finally feel like going to total wine.

Coffee Bender is really dry. Like, it is dry-like-straight-cold-brew-dry. It also might be seasonal? It must be in season because Beer Temple just posted a new batch in.

danbanana fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 2, 2017

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

*busts into the thread, panting and out of breath, shaking you by the shoulders*

HAVE YOU TRIED COFFEE BENDER

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

If you're into malty (rather, maltier than is currently trendy, think SN Torpedo) IPAs, Furious is at the top of that heap.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

deadwing posted:

If you're into malty (rather, maltier than is currently trendy, think SN Torpedo) IPAs, Furious is at the top of that heap.

Yeah but jai alai tho

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Spanish Manlove posted:

Coffee Bender was pretty awesome like five years ago; now, like danbanana said, there are definitely better local options pretty much everywhere

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

funkybottoms posted:

Coffee Bender was pretty awesome like five years ago; now, like danbanana said, there are definitely better local options pretty much everywhere

Pretty much every whale-y old guard beer that was awesome 5 years ago has a local analog that's just as good, if not better. What a time to be alive.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I've been looking for an app I can use to rate beer using the popular 50 point system. I can't find one, all of them just let me give an overall rating, but I like keeping track of smell, taste, etc.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm tired of scrolling through this 200 row google doc in order to add a beer

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
I went to visit my sister and my Wisconsin beer hookup (ok, my brother in law) recently and got to try some pretty fine things that he'd had sitting around.

Central Waters 17 and 19 both tasted about the same with 17 benefiting strongly from the two years of aging, very much like their normal Bourbon Barrel Stout except heavier, more chocolatey, more vanilla, darker, whatever you want to say. Concentrated would probably the right way to put it. 17 almost tasted like it had coconut added which was crazy. NG Cran-bic was also amazing and it made me sad that it's never in stores when i'm in the area. We also had a couple of Trillium cans, Mettle and something else, both very delicious but currently I'd say they're a little bit below Foundation in terms of new england IPAs. BUT I'm moving to Maine in a few weeks, so I'll be able to do plenty of comparing in the future. :c00l:

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

stop rating beers on a 50 point system and just drink and enjoy

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
A rather popular bottle shop near me is closing so everything was 40% off. Many difficult decisions had to be made, but I still ended up with way too much beer...

Just opened a bottle of Jack's Abby Smoke & Dagger Black Lager. And good lord. I can feel the smoke before I taste it. It's like drinking the smoke from a campfire. I think I love it.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

krustster posted:

I went to visit my sister and my Wisconsin beer hookup (ok, my brother in law) recently and got to try some pretty fine things that he'd had sitting around.

Central Waters 17 and 19 both tasted about the same with 17 benefiting strongly from the two years of aging, very much like their normal Bourbon Barrel Stout except heavier, more chocolatey, more vanilla, darker, whatever you want to say. Concentrated would probably the right way to put it. 17 almost tasted like it had coconut added which was crazy. NG Cran-bic was also amazing and it made me sad that it's never in stores when i'm in the area. We also had a couple of Trillium cans, Mettle and something else, both very delicious but currently I'd say they're a little bit below Foundation in terms of new england IPAs. BUT I'm moving to Maine in a few weeks, so I'll be able to do plenty of comparing in the future. :c00l:

Cran-bic is amazing. New Glarus needs to ramp up production and get over this whole Wisconsin only thing. I think they are one of the most underrated breweries in the country. You never see people posting looking for NG and even their R&D stuff doesn't seem to trade well for some reason. I need to find someone in Wisconsin with a lot of spare time to ship me beer. Their fruited beers are all awesome and their "standard" beers are spot on as well, e.g. Spotted Cow and Scream.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Drunk Nerds posted:

I've been looking for an app I can use to rate beer using the popular 50 point system. I can't find one, all of them just let me give an overall rating, but I like keeping track of smell, taste, etc.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm tired of scrolling through this 200 row google doc in order to add a beer

this should be very easy to do using google forms if you're already using google docs

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

I really don't understand how this is possible, but Oskar Blues is being distributed through Tesco in the UK (our largest supermarket chain), at the same or cheaper prices then even our biggest craft brewers.

Not complaining too much, Pinner and Old Yella are pretty great as standard beers. No idea how the numbers work though.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Lyon posted:

even their R&D stuff doesn't seem to trade well for some reason.

You know a place I can get a VSB on the cheap?

As for the Wisco-only thing... Why would they change that? I don't think most beer nerds understand what NG has done, or why it's so unique. This isn't a case of a brewery growing like Stone or Lagunitas or Bells, where they grew to massive national distribution on the support of people who buy mostly "craft" beer. These companies grew by getting that small percentage of business in every- or nearly- every state.

NG doesn't give a poo poo about beer nerds. They don't give a poo poo about someone in Florida who would buy Cran-Bic. That's not their market; Their market is literally every person in that state. Why focus on a small percentage in lots of states- and having to deal with multiple distributors, different markets, different competition- when they can own a larger percentage of one state. We're talking about a brewery that is somewhere around the 20th biggest "craft" brewer in the US solely based on the fact that you can get Spotted Cow and Moon Man in every gas station in the state. That's not an exaggeration either: you can be in the deep northwoods and stop at the shittiest station you can find, and they'll have sixers of NG stuff sitting next to Miller Lite. No other brewery in this country has that kind of local dominance.

Now what they NEED to do is make the Zwickel always available at the brewery so people can mule me some on the regular...

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

my summer at fat camp posted:

stop rating beers on a 50 point system and just drink and enjoy

Counterpoint: you can do both!

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I just took a new job in Baltimore and my co-workers are big craft beer nerds. It actually came up during the interview (their question, not mine) and I think that's one of the reasons I got the job (not seriously, but maybe). The office is literally across the street from Brewer's Art. I think I can handle this.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I just took a new job in Baltimore and my co-workers are big craft beer nerds. It actually came up during the interview (their question, not mine) and I think that's one of the reasons I got the job (not seriously, but maybe). The office is literally across the street from Brewer's Art. I think I can handle this.

Counterpoint: you now live in Baltimore, hours away from Tired Hands.

Counter-counterpoint: you now get to go to Max's, the best beer bar in the world. Enjoy!

nah
Mar 16, 2009

atothesquiz posted:

Is it called "Dont line up before 11am"

I'm glad you got screwed out of DBH lol

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

:perfect:

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

Or did I? lol\

edit: And you left off the rest of the beer name. Misrepresentin' my suggested beer name!

edit2: Also, I think way more people were pissed with how the entire event handled, before and the day of the event. Not so much the DBH bottles. Even though CCB was awesome to refund everyone's money (who bought legit tickets) and made extra bottles available in June(?), it's tough for people to forget the fact that you repeatedly told people and I'm paraphrasing here: "There's no reason to show up early, why waste your time, you're all idiots if you do, you'll get right in" and then the poo poo show happened.

atothesquiz fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 3, 2017

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

gently caress beer

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...

deadwing posted:

gently caress beer

Beer always tastes better if it has a faint taste of plastic.

Bonus points if the baggy previously held graham crackers!

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

Compusaurus posted:

Beer always tastes better if it has a faint taste of plastic.

Bonus points if the baggy previously held graham crackers!

Home made randle.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

deadwing posted:

gently caress beer

That's a troll, right? Unlike people who send vials of tap-only things or the dude who was "giving away" plastic takeout containers of some RAM beer for "thank you beers," this isn't even practical. I think this falls under the Poe's Law for beer posts...

nah
Mar 16, 2009

I just looked up that beer. Imperial stout aged in maple syrup brandy barrels with coconut, vanilla, and kopi luwak coffee. This bubble needs to go ahead and pop already.

I had a friend sneak me an airplane bottle of HotD Dave from a tasting I couldn't attend about 8 years ago

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

deadwing posted:

gently caress beer

Someone should split these whalez into a shitload of 1mg capsules. Tens of thousands of EPIC TICKS in one bottle!

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

[spends 20 minutes furiously editing a post about a beer release 3 years ago]

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Flunky posted:

Someone should split these whalez into a shitload of 1mg capsules. Tens of thousands of EPIC TICKS in one bottle!

The new hotness is selling PCR tubes of adjunct stout to neckbeards that have no idea how big 200uL is

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009

Leper Residue posted:

A rather popular bottle shop near me is closing so everything was 40% off. Many difficult decisions had to be made, but I still ended up with way too much beer...

Just opened a bottle of Jack's Abby Smoke & Dagger Black Lager. And good lord. I can feel the smoke before I taste it. It's like drinking the smoke from a campfire. I think I love it.

Holy hound?

Also cigar city cans are hitting SC finally

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Klaus Kinski posted:

this should be very easy to do using google forms if you're already using google docs

This is awesome, thanks. I did not know about g-forms. It will also make coordinating the judging from my yearly beer club tasting contest wayyy easier

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Very important beer question: is the two hearted label intrinsically awesome, or am I projecting the awesomeness of the beer on the label???

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Everyone is very excited about Bell's making its official debut in Texas, to the point that they made a beer specifically for their TX debut -- a pale with nothing but Amarillo hops, which I suppose makes it sort of Texan (by way of Washington). It was quite good, which I know because I sampled a bit of air's when we went to Banger's for dinner last night. It, along with the rest of Rainey Street, is quite the little scene, no doubt about it.

Craft Pride down the street had a shitload of heavy stouts left over from their birthday party event. air failed to warn me that they pour lovely Yellow Rose and that it's better elsewhere, what is up with that beer anyway? Why so delicate and easily breakable?

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Lyon posted:

Cran-bic is amazing. New Glarus needs to ramp up production and get over this whole Wisconsin only thing. I think they are one of the most underrated breweries in the country. You never see people posting looking for NG and even their R&D stuff doesn't seem to trade well for some reason. I need to find someone in Wisconsin with a lot of spare time to ship me beer. Their fruited beers are all awesome and their "standard" beers are spot on as well, e.g. Spotted Cow and Scream.

Wisconsin has a loving professional sports team named after people who make beer. Maybe the issue isn't with New Glarus, it's with the other 49 states.

This is old but very relevant to why you should come to Wisconsin to drink. I am listening to this in my apartment literally 3 blocks from the Wisconsin State Capital and I'm getting wistful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WlwumGkSec

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Captain Duvel posted:

Holy hound?

Also cigar city cans are hitting SC finally

Yeah. The taproom is staying but the owner is closing the bottle shop since you can just go to the grocery store and get craft beers. Went back there tonight and the place was practically barren.