Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Entropy is like Quantum Mechanics: badly misused by people who don't actually understand it. And since MOST people don't understand them, they have no way of telling real from bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

God drat it, Sessions.

Dude looks like a Teddy Ruxpin with the soundtrack to Birth of a Nation jammed in his tape deck.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Cat Mattress posted:

The only instance have seen of people genuinely forgetting about the sun in the middle of a scientific-looking argument was a creationist arguing that entropy made it impossible for evolution to happen.

This Christian club at my college tried this one on the first year science students and got laughed at. Even to the point where my physics professors mocked the idea in the middle of class.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i feel like if i believed the sun was the sole cause of modern global warming i'd freak out more, not less

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

*cel

The Worst Reporter!

Ben posted:

Sure, the climate changes, but they leave out one important factor in their data: The sun. :smuggo:

Ben. That's just. Not. True.

Ben posted:

The Pacific will continue to be polluted with radioactivity and it’s all cumulative. We’re also a flood, EMP strike, or big earthquake away from this happening elsewhere at a nuclear power plant. Shut them down. Shut them all down. It’s fooling with something that could lead to an extinction-level event. Of course, the elite running the show will be safe in their underground bunkers if that happens. They love death—as long as it happens to us and not them.

Look, if the Goldeneye satellites are ever activated we're going to have much bigger problems to worry about.

Also, it takes a very special kind of stupid to hear the word "radiation" and start clawing out your eyeballs but hear the words "2% global temperature increase" and go back to eating your funyuns and watching Wheel of Fortune.

FaradayCage fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Mar 3, 2017

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

loquacius posted:

The Calvin & Hobbes-est Horsey

Better than every Prickley City combined

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!
Checks out. EXCLUSIVE: Barack Obama's close confidante Valerie Jarrett has moved into his Kaloroma home, which is now the nerve center for their plan to mastermind the insurgency against President Trump

Apple Pie Hubbub fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 3, 2017

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Looks like Jessie from Team Rocket finally settled down

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Squashy Nipples posted:

Entropy is like Quantum Mechanics: badly misused by people who don't actually understand it. And since MOST people don't understand them, they have no way of telling real from bullshit.

Yeah it doesn't help that even earnest and well-intentioned attempts to explain entropy are pretty lovely to the point of probably making people less informed on hearing them.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

loquacius posted:

Looks like Jessie from Team Rocket finally settled down

Yes, with Lames from Team Locket.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009
Bors is doing one of those AMA-like things if anyone's got any good questions to ask one of the more well-liked cartoonists. I did, and the reply was interesting.

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Mein Führer! I can dance!

Sexy radical Islam horse would be a great avatar.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Has Kirschen ever been able to draw well, or has his entire career been this sort of kindergarten level scribblings? I just ask because it seems like a lot of the bad cartoonists here used to be somewhat talented and collapsed artistically over the decades.

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

Dr Strangepants posted:

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Really enjoy niqab horse. That's the attention to detail you only get from a true bigot.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
I'm sorta surprised the horse doesn't have a cute green crescent moon marking on the rear.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Tobermory posted:

What about Mao's Three-Anti Campaign (anti-corruption, anti-waste, anti-bureaucracy) in 1951? Or Khrushchev's introduction of the Sovnarkhoz in 1957?
Man, if only I knew any of that before making the extraordinary claim in my previous post. Egg on my face for sure.

Meanwhile, "democracy in Russia" (coming soon already adopted in the US)

"The people in power lie and steal!"

"Good! Let them! Lie and steal ftw!"

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.
Nobody has ever seen Dees and Garrison together in the same room.

Either they're the same person, or we're watching a Charles Wain-esque mental breakdown in real time.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

big starbound fan here

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Dr Strangepants posted:

or a good username

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

oddium posted:

big starbound fan here

Never played it.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Today's Dry Bones guest written by Chuck Asay.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Hey Kirschen, how do you feel about Trump's victory emboldening antisemitism?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Cat Mattress posted:

Hey Kirschen, how do you feel about Trump's victory emboldening antisemitism?

Good. More Jews will make the Aliyah.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Feinne posted:

Yeah it doesn't help that even earnest and well-intentioned attempts to explain entropy are pretty lovely to the point of probably making people less informed on hearing them.

I was a Thermodynamics superstar back in college, so I have a much deeper understanding of Entropy then most people, so I get extra angry when people misuse it.

However, I have a very shaky understanding of all things Quantum (engineer, not physicist), so I know how it feels when people try to fool you with Entropy baloney.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Can he just loving commit seppuku yet or are we seriously gonna get four years of "OH MY GOD THIS GUY I SUPPORTED IS SO BAD WHY DIDN'T THE PERSON I CONSTANTLY CALLED A LITERAL FORCE OF REAL AND TRUE EVIL IN THE WORLD WIN TO SAVE US???"

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

I guess BAR BEE was right: Jarrett really does "serve at the pleasure of Bro Obama"!!

(I've been looking for this cartoon for half an hour but no dice, sorry)

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

loquacius posted:

One of the most annoying tropes in culture is when scientists and experts get so lost in their data that they miss huge blatantly-obvious details which Plain Regular Folks point out to them easily, because it leads to poo poo like this: Dunning-Kruger-rear end uneducated know-it-alls who are pretty sure that every climate scientist in the world has simultaneously forgotten that the Earth orbits a star

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

bitch-rear end nerds don't know what boobs are, a jock cartoon

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Low Desert Punk posted:

Has Kirschen ever been able to draw well, or has his entire career been this sort of kindergarten level scribblings? I just ask because it seems like a lot of the bad cartoonists here used to be somewhat talented and collapsed artistically over the decades.

'73

'76

'82

'89

'99

'04

Kirschen's always been drawing scribbles but there's a clear peak around the beginning of the noughties where he occassionally drew better-than-average scribbles.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Squashy Nipples posted:

I was a Thermodynamics superstar back in college, so I have a much deeper understanding of Entropy then most people, so I get extra angry when people misuse it.

However, I have a very shaky understanding of all things Quantum (engineer, not physicist), so I know how it feels when people try to fool you with Entropy baloney.

How do people misuse entropy? I want to say that I haven't heard it before but then I think maybe I just can't recognize it.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Ruzihm posted:

How do people misuse entropy? I want to say that I haven't heard it before but then I think maybe I just can't recognize it.

entropy is something about how thermal energy becomes mechanical energy, i guess the mis-use is people saying this disproves evolution because they forgot the sun is a pretty big source of thermal energy?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
that is literally me just googling it tho, i have forgotten all the engineering classes i took lol

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Yes, they say you can't have something increase in complexity because that would violate entropy, which says everything can only become more disordered, under all circumstances, period. Checkmate, atheists.:science:

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

First thing I thought seeing the white-skinned comic characters is Nazi Klurf having the janitor right 14 88 on the board.

Trogdos! posted:

Kirschen's always been drawing scribbles but there's a clear peak around the beginning of the noughties where he occassionally drew better-than-average scribbles.

Wow, I actually think these are pretty good scribbles.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

(I've been looking for this cartoon for half an hour but no dice, sorry)

found via a not-really-broken broken link in a Crumbunist post in the archived 2010 thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

It may not be intended, but this particular scribble is effective at depicting someone who seems to embody ennui.

• Locked thread