Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Spell Pierce is a much needed reprint at common too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Thunderous Wrath at common, lmao

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Deso Demon!!!! Also Rites Gifts combo in Limited.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
calling it Noble Hierarch is in Amonkhet

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

GoutPatrol posted:

Goblin Electromancer and Call of the Conclave at common?

edit: the final artifact rare is Damping Matrix, which is lame

Electromancer is a common in rtr

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Snacksmaniac posted:

Electromancer is a common in rtr

it was? jesus

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

GoutPatrol posted:

it was? jesus

RtR was good

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

ShaneB posted:

They certainly kept with tradition of the last day being bulk dump.

That's how it usually goes TBH. Something like Hierarch or Breach would've been previewed before. Sucks that they aren't there but the set is pretty loaded as-is.

Now to count down to Eternal Masters 2018! :v:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

ShaneB posted:

They certainly kept with tradition of the last day being bulk dump.

they spoiled like all the rares so what did you expect, exactly?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

mandatory lesbian posted:

they spoiled like all the rares so what did you expect, exactly?

Just a surprise Noble or Crucible, really. For fun.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Gift of Orzhova at common!

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Well that was exciting. When's Amonkhet stuff start?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

End of Life Guy posted:

Gift of Orzhova at common!

Somebody is going to draft a really good 4 colour deck with incredible fixing and huge bombs. And that person is going to get run over by T2 spike Jester, T3 madcap skills, T4 Hellrider, and it is going to be the best.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Mono red seems great, even with no Bolt or Lava Spike.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Mezzanon posted:

Somebody is going to draft a really good 4 colour deck with incredible fixing and huge bombs. And that person is going to get run over by T2 spike Jester, T3 madcap skills, T4 Hellrider, and it is going to be the best.

You are forgetting the T1 guide.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

GoutPatrol posted:

You are forgetting the T1 guide.

gently caress, you're right.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Falkenrath noble is a really crazy common.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

This set is great and the best part is that it makes lots of modern decks way cheaper but not Tron or Scapeshift. I'm looking forward to the surge in Jund, Death's Shadow, Toolbox, and Zoo decks that I can crush with Junk.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Falkenrath noble is a really crazy common.

I love when masters sets gives new interesting cards to pauper.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Skyl3lazer posted:

Thunderous Wrath at common, lmao

does this see play in pauper burn? I feel like it doesn't because you're more likely to have it be in your opening hand and a blank than to cast it, but maybe in some sort of UR delver nonsense with brainstorm

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Some cards that were uncommon and now common that should make for an interesting draft environment:

Dinrova Horror
Falkenrath Noble
Call of the Conclave
Gift of Orzhova
Spike Jester
Ground Assault
Slime Molding
Grixis Slavedriver
Tandem Lookout
Grasp of Phantoms

Some rares that are now uncommons:

Goblin Assault
Pyrewild Shaman
Arachnus Spinner
Gaea's Anthem
Mystic Genesis
Sedraxis Specter
Soul Ransom (wtf)
Wayfaring Temple

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Elyv posted:

does this see play in pauper burn? I feel like it doesn't because you're more likely to have it be in your opening hand and a blank than to cast it, but maybe in some sort of UR delver nonsense with brainstorm

We're discussing this in the Pauper thread. I have the same reservation, but it does give you an out to being flooded and kills Gurmag Angler (and everything else)

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Lava Spike not getting a reprint is just a tad disappointing, would have made mono red more fun in draft

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Gaea's Anthem at uncommon is interesting.

Damping Matrix is pretty cool, not sure if we already knew about it or not.

Penumbra Spider and Shimmiering Grotto are both :laffo:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
I'm happy. Means I only have to spend 700 bucks instead of 1200 to finish buying everything I need for almost all the modern decks.

Fun times.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Oh boy Teleportal and a nice selection of the bloodrush creatures. I sure do remember those in limited.

I never had a chance to play with it in RTR draft but wasn't Pyrewild Shaman very very strong?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Soul Glo posted:

Lava Spike not getting a reprint is just a tad disappointing, would have made mono red more fun in draft

lava spike is unplayable in draft, especially without its best pal glacial ray

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Bugsy posted:

Oh boy Teleportal and a nice selection of the bloodrush creatures. I sure do remember those in limited.

I never had a chance to play with it in RTR draft but wasn't Pyrewild Shaman very very strong?

I played with/against it once, but those games tended to be too fast to make use of the ability.

Way less annoying then oops, you take 16 off a Boros Charm + Scorchwalker bloodrush though.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Thanks again for walking me through draft drop chat. Here is a slew of unrelated questions:

1. Is there a Magic Discord somewhere?
2. How many of you use xMage? I hear it has rules implementation. I may try and practice some drafts for MM2017.
3. Rules question: Let's say I have a Grizzly Bear, Ashnod's Altar, Nevinyral's Disk, and Nim's Deathmantle on the battlefield. I sac the bear to the Altar to get 2 mana, and the Deathmantle Trigger goes on the stack. In response to the Deathmantle trigger, I activate the Disk. The Disk resolves, and we're back to the Deathmantle trigger. Do I still have the option to pay 4 to return the Bear to the field? if so, where is the Deathmantle?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Shadow225 posted:

IDK, but we have a #mtgoon IRC channel on synirc if you want to argue about what to eat for lunch or FE Heroes or whatever. you can sometimes find people to play magic the gathering with, too

Shadow225 posted:

2. How many of you use xMage? I hear it has rules implementation. I may try and practice some drafts for MM2017.

I've used xmage a decent amount. It's fine and has been steadily getting better. I hear it's worse than MTGO, but I'm not willing to pay actual money for a product that doesn't sound that much better.

Shadow225 posted:

3. Rules question: Let's say I have a Grizzly Bear, Ashnod's Altar, Nevinyral's Disk, and Nim's Deathmantle on the battlefield. I sac the bear to the Altar to get 2 mana, and the Deathmantle Trigger goes on the stack. In response to the Deathmantle trigger, I activate the Disk. The Disk resolves, and we're back to the Deathmantle trigger. Do I still have the option to pay 4 to return the Bear to the field? if so, where is the Deathmantle?

The trigger does as much as it can, so it returns the bear to the battlefield. The Deathmantle in the graveyard is a different game object than the one in play, so it tries to attach Deathmantle but can't, so you end up with your bear in play and Deathmantle in the GY.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Lets Pickle posted:

Some cards that were uncommon and now common that should make for an interesting draft environment:

Dinrova Horror
Falkenrath Noble
Call of the Conclave
Gift of Orzhova
Spike Jester
Ground Assault
Slime Molding
Grixis Slavedriver
Tandem Lookout
Grasp of Phantoms

Some rares that are now uncommons:

Goblin Assault
Pyrewild Shaman
Arachnus Spinner
Gaea's Anthem
Mystic Genesis
Sedraxis Specter
Soul Ransom (wtf)
Wayfaring Temple

I wish I saw this post earlier so you could've saved me fifteen minutes of "wait, was that a rare?"-ing at the card list. More fun for my C/Ube!

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Shadow225 posted:

Thanks again for walking me through draft drop chat. Here is a slew of unrelated questions:

I think the relevant rule here would be:

quote:

603.6. Trigger events that involve objects changing zones are called “zone-change triggers.” Many abilities with zone-change triggers attempt to do something to that object after it changes zones. During resolution, these abilities look for the object in the zone that it moved to. If the object is unable to be found in the zone it went to, the part of the ability attempting to do something to the object will fail to do anything. The ability could be unable to find the object because the object never entered the specified zone, because it left the zone before the ability resolved, or because it is in a zone that is hidden from a player, such as a library or an opponent’s hand. (This rule applies even if the object leaves the zone and returns again before the ability resolves.) The most common zone-change triggers are enters-the-battlefield triggers and leaves-the-battlefield triggers.

So the triggered ability would resolve (it's been on the stack and nothing has countered it), and at that point you can choose to pay 4. If you do, the Bear would return to the battlefield, and the ability would attempt to attach the Deathmantle to the bear, but it will fail to find the Deathmantle (because it left the battlefield before the ability resolved), so that last part of the ability would fizzle.

e,fb

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I goof around with xMage every so often, it works alright but I haven't bothered to play against people much. Would definitely throw down against goons, I know there have been a couple of community tournaments here in years past.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
MOCS commentators are streaming from home, I assume the contestants aren't? ('Cause how would you enforce non-ghosting?).

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Lets Pickle posted:

Dinrova Horror
Falkenrath Noble
Call of the Conclave
Gift of Orzhova
Spike Jester
Ground Assault
Slime Molding
Grixis Slavedriver
Tandem Lookout
Grasp of Phantoms

I dunno if any of this is playable in Pauper but I'm glad to see more interesting commons.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
They left out the cute flavor text of Grisly Spectacle.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Seth Manfield still banging the "unban Jace the Mind Sculptor" drum, I see.

The problem with Jace is twofold: 1) it's a $200 card if unbanned, and 2) I'm perceiving a misconception about which deck wants Jace, the Mind Sculptor. It isn't a counterspell deck, it's a $3000 Sultai deck with Goyf, Lili, Snap, Bob, etc. I don't actually think you want that deck around.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 3, 2017

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Angry Grimace posted:

The problem with Jace is twofold: 1) it's a $200 card if unbanned, and 2) I'm perceiving a misconception about which deck wants Jace, the Mind Sculptor. It isn't a counterspell deck, it's a $3000 Sultai deck with Goyf, Lili, Snap, Bob, etc. I don't actually think you want that deck around.

Seth Manfield does.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

I think it's worth unbanning JTMS even if it needs to be immediately banned again just to say we gave it a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Magma Jet and Thunderous Wrath at common? :getin:

• Locked thread