Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I've never been to one of those, I've only heard legends of how bad it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We're fighting now.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I don't necessarily mind Thor's identities now, but at the time I had only known Thor for his appearances in other comics and didn't know much about them other than some of the early Blake stuff.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

We're fighting now.

Look Rhyno, I like you and all, but this is what you're fighting for:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
THOSE ARE MAJESTIC AND DELICIOUS AND YOU WILL RESPECT THEM

HOW MANY MOVIES HAVE BEEN MADE ABOUT GOING TO MCDONALDS THAT'S RIGHT NONE

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

It's pretty likely the quality varies from location to location, especially when you factor in things like different food regulations between Canada and the US.

But I mean even as a chain you can't really put Five Guys anywhere near Burger King or McDonald's or whatever.

Yeah, that's part of it too. But until their rapid expansion it was like a mythical thing people who'd been to the DC area couldn't stop talking about.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

YOU SHUT THE gently caress UP RHYNO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNjACYfQlbI

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's barely eben a little bit about McDonalds!

Also Ronald McDonald is a bitch.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

That's barely eben a little bit about McDonalds!

Also Ronald McDonald is a bitch.

And what does White Castle have? That's right, they only have Big Van Vader!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7XhwNT7U5s

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I liked Jurgens

Whaàaaaa?

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Oh you guys talking about Krystal Burger lol

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

And what does White Castle have? That's right, they only have Big Van Vader!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7XhwNT7U5s

Well there's something I wish I could unwatch.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Knock the lovely burger talk off and move on to actual comic stuff.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Who was Power Pack for? I am reading Chris Claremont's run and the Power Pack ties are for Mutant Masscere and Fall of the Mutants which have high and graphic onscreen death counts. Even worse the characters, all under 10 mentioned they saw more people dead in an intergalatic space war but the Morlock genocide was more personal.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Who was Power Pack for? I am reading Chris Claremont's run and the Power Pack ties are for Mutant Masscere and Fall of the Mutants which have high and graphic onscreen death counts. Even worse the characters, all under 10 mentioned they saw more people dead in an intergalatic space war but the Morlock genocide was more personal.

They were for kids, but they tied in with the X-Men titles a lot while they were running concurrently because Louise Simonson was writing X-Force and had previously been Claremont's editor.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

So it's just the 80s not giving a gently caress when the opening page is Scalphunter vaporizing a dudes head

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I've seen very little of Power Pack's original run but some of the stuff they dealt with always seemed really weird and hella creepy for a book about little kids, the fact that Claremont was involved sheds some light on that.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

This cover perfectly sums up my feelings and concerns on Power Pack's legacy. A guest appearance that features a 10 year old girl getting suckered punch by Sunspot

Edit

Sinners Sandwich fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Feb 26, 2017

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I'd wager that since Power Pack had the trappings of a kids' title, there was less oversight of what was going on, enabling Simonson to get away with a lot. And there's a fairly long tradition of "for kids" products being actually incredibly hosed up, anyway.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

I was buying up power pack for my son because it's usually in the cheap section but yeah when I got to that one I paused.

Still bought it though. I loved power pack when I was a kid. That stupid horse race that betrayed them and the talking spaceship - gently caress yeah.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Let's just say if I was the editor and something called "Childhood's End" landed on my desk, I would call a meeting.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Is the Horse the same race as Beta Ray Bill? Remember seeing him and Power Pack in Funniest panels from the 2005 reboot

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Beta Ray Bill isn't from a horse race.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Beta Ray Bill is a Korbinite. A heavily modified one. Kofi from Power Pack, as we learned recently in my Marvel Handbook thread, is a Kymellian.

Beta Ray Bill normally looks like this.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah, the nicest thing about Odin giving him a hammer is that it tied his disfiguring genetic enhancements to his "thor" form, so he can go back to looking normal when he wants. :unsmith: Odin used to be written a lot nicer.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Rhyno posted:

Also, pursuant to comics and Beta Ray Bill - wasn't he the very first person besides Thor, chronologically, to be shown as "worthy" to lift Mjolnir? I know there are several characters who have lifted it and accordingly been granted the power of Thor, but I think ol' Bill was the very first.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Air-Walker lifted the hammer in an earlier issue of Thor. Whether it was because he was an android or not is up for debate as other androids haven't been able to lift it. Beta Ray Bill is the first otherwise.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
What about Frog Thor?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Throg wields a splinter from Mjolnir - he has never lifted the hammer itself.

e: also he is introduced after Beta Ray.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I don't think Frog Thor even exists in the main continuity. He's in the same continuity as the modern Power Pack books and Pet Avengers, which I think was Marvel Adventures but I'm not sure. It's a reference to the time Thor himself was turned into a frog, obviously, which was an actual entire issue of Thor and ruled.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
If Pet Avengers isn't in continuity, then gently caress the whole thing.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Edit: I need to read the whole thread before responding to things. :downs:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The main thing I remember about Power Pack is they used them as part of an ad campaign in books to encourage kids to speak up if they'd been molested (along with Spider-Man).

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The main thing I remember about Power Pack is they used them as part of an ad campaign in books to encourage kids to speak up if they'd been molested (along with Spider-Man).

Spider-Man got molested!?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Clamknuckle posted:

Spider-Man got molested!?

In an 80s PSA comic, yes. By a kid named 'Skip'. I don't believe it's canon.

Apparently it was originally supposed to be Uncle Ben. :stonk:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yvonmukluk posted:

Apparently it was originally supposed to be Uncle Ben. :stonk:

No it wasn't.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

It wasn't supposed to be Uncle Ben but the guy looks weirdly like him so I could understand how people thought that.

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy

Brofessor Slayton posted:

It wasn't supposed to be Uncle Ben but the guy looks weirdly like him so I could understand how people thought that.

I just looked it up and yeah Skip is no high schooler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
After Logan, I'd like to read some good X-23 and Comixology is having a sale. What's good?