Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
Has anyone opened up a physical game for the Switch yet? In curious if the physical copies include a download code or if it's a strict 'cartridge or download' choice at purchase.

(It's Nintendo, so I'm assuming it's one or the other.. but you never know.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I bought that theme last year and it's probably the best purchase I've made on the PS4 tbh.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

Has anyone opened up a physical game for the Switch yet? In curious if the physical copies include a download code or if it's a strict 'cartridge or download' choice at purchase.

lol it's an actual cart dude, everyone's been talking about how bad they taste

e: Oh, I get your question now. No, you can't download after you buy a physical copy.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

It's one or the other.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Sleeping Dogs was just True Crime: Hong Kong with the serial numbers filed off so a Sleeping Dogs movie being an existing script with a few game names ctrl-f'd into the script would actually be incredibly true to the source material.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

MinibarMatchman posted:

LOL what is this wonderful game, some kind of Oregon Trail clone?

Yeah it's got elements of Oregon Trail but there's also some top-down crowd control combat that's the core of the gameplay.

If you just want Oregon Trail, get Organ Trail instead, another wacky zombie game that focuses much more on the random events on the road.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

CJacobs posted:

You'd better believe I wrestled that moose

and got hosed up by it but who cares you don't turn down the opportunity to wrestle a moose

Now I can't wait to find out if I can suplex a deer in Zelda.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

It's one or the other.

Gotcha. Thanks!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

an actual dog posted:

Woah, they're making a movie based on Sleeping Dogs. I know the developer went kaput but maybe this means they're making another game with a different studio?

This is a video game movie that might be good.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Guy Mann posted:

Sleeping Dogs was just True Crime: Hong Kong with the serial numbers filed off so a Sleeping Dogs movie being an existing script with a few game names ctrl-f'd into the script would actually be incredibly true to the source material.

Sorry about your diseased and broken brain. 😑

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It's kind of funny to hear the tablet does nothing in the Wii U version of Zelda because it was so clearly made to integrate that thing heavily, which they must have completely stripped out when they made it a Switch launch title.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah it pretty sad. I only played it for an hour and there were tons of places where it looks like you should have used the pad with stuff, but all it says it 'tap screen to play on game pad!'
Like they couldn't even put the map on there.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

glam rock hamhock posted:

It's kind of funny to hear the tablet does nothing in the Wii U version of Zelda because it was so clearly made to integrate that thing heavily, which they must have completely stripped out when they made it a Switch launch title.

it sounds like playing on the gamepad scales it back to 720 and thus improves performance? at least that's how it sounds with the Switch version going from the TV to the off-TV gameplay.

BexGu posted:

Oh, what are the details of the sale?

buy 2 get 1 free. i'm just going hogwild and getting horizon+zelda if I can and then hopefully Nier, but if not I'll pick up something else new and put it towards Nier

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

MinibarMatchman posted:

buy 2 get 1 free. i'm just going hogwild and getting horizon+zelda if I can and then hopefully Nier, but if not I'll pick up something else new and put it towards Nier

Hopefully you're getting the Wii U version because Switch games aren't eligible.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

MinibarMatchman posted:

it sounds like playing on the gamepad scales it back to 720 and thus improves performance? at least that's how it sounds with the Switch version going from the TV to the off-TV gameplay.

I meant more that in game the first item you get is literally a magic tablet and a ton of stuff revolves around it.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

glam rock hamhock posted:

I meant more that in game the first item you get is literally a magic tablet and a ton of stuff revolves around it.

Yeah I'm loving the game but that's really goddamn stupid.

Also, making sprint the bottom face button and jump the top face button. I have to claw if I want to sprint jump. There's a menu option to change it but it just swaps the buttons so it's the exact same issue.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Hopefully you're getting the Wii U version because Switch games aren't eligible.

yeah I don't have a Switch so I'm hoping gamepad play of Zelda is stable enough

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

Is that the only difference?

Resolution is different, too. On the Wii U, it's 720p. On the Switch, it's 900p docked/720p portable. They have similar frame rate issues and everything I can find suggests things like environment detail, texture detail, and draw distance are close to identical.

Right now, I'd say the only reason to wait to play Zelda on the Switch if you didn't already get one is if you think you're going to have a Switch by the time its DLC starts coming out. And even then, I'd say it only matters if you're not willing to keep both your Switch and Wii U hooked up at the same time or just juggle them when you want to play the Zelda DLC.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Somehow this is relevant again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEvrqtikAVg

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
So are people actually having a hard time getting Switches? There's 4 of them sitting here at local Wallyworld midday

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Monkey Fracas posted:

So are people actually having a hard time getting Switches? There's 4 of them sitting here at local Wallyworld midday

None at all within a two-hour drive of Madison, WI, which I'm not too surprised about. If I drove two hours away there's a Target in Fond du Lac with plenty in stock but I definitely don't have time for that for the next weekend or two so :shrug:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Being able to go wherever you want in BOTW is absolutely insane. Not 4 hours in and I (extremely minor spoilers) charged straight to Hyrule castle, killed a boss, and got some overpowered weapons. Literally everything in there can one shot me so after a while i got tired of it but it's hilarious that you can do this.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Haven't seen frame rates like this in a Nintendo game since the n64

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Regy Rusty posted:

Being able to go wherever you want in BOTW is absolutely insane. Not 4 hours in and I (extremely minor spoilers) charged straight to Hyrule castle, killed a boss, and got some overpowered weapons. Literally everything in there can one shot me so after a while i got tired of it but it's hilarious that you can do this.

Sounds like taking the "you can just do the dungeons in any order, whatever rent a tool" that I loved in Link Between Worlds and taking it to the next step. Excellent.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the only "frame" i care about is the frame of mind delivered unto me by zelda nirvana

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

yeah the giantbomb guys did the same thing right after getting the paraglider, its pretty loving cool

the speedruns for this game will be insane I bet

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Merry Switchmas, everybody!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
According to reviews there is effectively zero gear gating (outside the brief intro area) and everything including the final boss is in theory beatable with no further unlocks once you reach the full world. Activity rewards make this easier or less dependent on luck or enable alternate solutions but you can always power through with the basics.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Attention, gamers, this gif is no longer called "dark souls speed runs.gif"

instead it will now be known as "breath of the wild speed runs.gif"

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
New Zelda is really cool. Not entirely sold on the Switch itself yet.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Attention, gamers, this gif is no longer called "dark souls speed runs.gif"

instead it will now be known as "breath of the wild speed runs.gif"

Can you even get Link to take off his shirt?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Monkey Fracas posted:

Sounds like taking the "you can just do the dungeons in any order, whatever rent a tool" that I loved in Link Between Worlds and taking it to the next step. Excellent.

I've got some guesses as to what your motivation for doing other stuff is beyond just not being strong enough but yeah, there's an absolutely obscene amount of freedom.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Jay Rust posted:

Can you even get Link to take off his shirt?

Yes but that gif will still apply better to DS because I don't think they're any reason to in Zelda

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What do you mean? I can think of a bunch of reasons to want to have Link be topless

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

link starts the game naked lol

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The one thing I'm a little iffy on, gameplay-wise, is how you have to heal using food from the menu. I wish you could slot a healing item to the down arrow on the d-pad or something. (I also generally think using food as an in-combat healing item is kinda silly but whatever I put up with it in Earthbound :v:)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'll probably play Zelda at some point. Probably.

Not super excited for the Switch but I'm considering breaking out my wiiu to play botw...Is it good, so far? That comment about having to claw to jump worries me.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Harrow posted:

(I also generally think using food as an in-combat healing item is kinda silly but whatever I put up with it in Earthbound :v:)

Not as silly as RE7's "use your medical goo healing item to reattach your foot".

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Not super excited for the Switch but I'm considering breaking out my wiiu to play botw...Is it good, so far? That comment about having to claw to jump worries me.

By default, jump is on X and sprint is on B. I saw someone say you could switch them, though, so you jump and dodge with B and hold X to sprint instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Pollyanna posted:

Yes, hello, I am the one who made that comment. I've only played the game for a few hours so far, but it is extremely good. I haven't come across a situation where I would need to sprint jump, I just want to be able to do it and it feels unwieldy. Other than that, I'm having a great time cooking up frogs and peppers :v:

• Locked thread