Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Prav posted:

oh hey 3/5/7 is actually happening. nice. there'll also be 0/5/10 matches for when the MM has too many of some tiers. 0/0/15 will also be possible.

and if i'm reading this right if a strict 357 isn't possible the MM will add more low-tier tanks rather than high-tier ones so you'll get like 249 or 339. so good riddance to 12/2/1 bullshit.

lights, TDs and arty will be mirrored in number across teams. arty is capping at 3 per side. multi-tier idiot platoons are also getting killed. maps will be picked by looking at what the players involved have played recently and avoiding those maps. lotta good stuff.

So what you're saying is when I get into a T8 game with this match maker and say my KV5 It will be even funnier. Excellent.

Edit: Sniped those pictures. If it works that would vastly improve this awful game. Now fix aiming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

HFX posted:

Check the to make sure your line is properly attached to the ground where it comes in at. If that doesn't fix it, call and complain every time it acts up. Don't happen to have access to a spectrum analyzer do you? I'm willing to bet your signal to noise ratio is going to poo poo.

Yeah. I don't own the property, so thanks to Charter's "AUTOMATED SYSTEM FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE" I can't complain unless I want to wait for an hour or more if I find a way to get ahold of an actual human. When I had a cable line set up directly to my room before I bitched multiple times before they came out and actually fixed it. Never had an issue after that. Had to cancel by service when I lost my job, and when I tried to get service back some time later I'm told now they don't service my address. That episode of South Park with the cable guys is 100% accurate

primelaw
Apr 4, 2012

The most southern dandy robot judge

Valle posted:

WG are just fine with rewarding nothing but dumb luck. See [url=http://forum-console.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/170975-earn-op-defender-of-the-fatherland/]this op right here]/url] that was so bad they didn't even put the actual details anywhere but in-game. In short, do 500+ damage in a tier 3+ USSR tank to get a "loot drop". Loot drop = random pick of one of 10 rewards: 1k credits, 2k credits, 25%, 50%, 75% or 100% bonus exp, 25%, 50% or 75% bonus crew exp, or a medal. Need 5 medals for the tank. Now, despite the text saying the odds for the drops are random, what they meant was weighted random. 80%+ of drops was 1k credits, 2k credits, and the 25% of either exp reward. There was an awful lot of anger in that thread, and people with 100+ loot drops and maybe 1 medal.

Dragon Ridge exists on console. But they flattened it so much I'm not sure ridge is a good name any more.

Yeah I ground out about 250 battles for that loving mission too. Only got 3 medals :\

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I accepted the clan invite yesterday but apparently there's a 3 day wait.

I think it's becoming increasingly obvious I'm going to spending a lot more time in French light tanks than I originally thought. I'm maybe a third of the way through the 13 75. No way I make any meaningful progress before getting boned by the Tier 10 LT update.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I already grinded the 13 90 for the bat chat, I have almost grinded enough XP to grab the AMX 30 as well. Now I'll also get to grind it again for the tier X light. 13 90 grind is stronk.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

T-54 is the best tank

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

ROFLburger posted:

T-54 is the best tank

I agree.

Now please teach me how to not be a coinflipper in it. I simply can't break 50% running it, and never seem to be able to carry.

I try and flank. I avoid front on with T9 and 10 tanks. I take advantage of camo. I have a 5 skill crew with smooth ride, BIA, Repairs, camo, and Sixth. I even run a 50/50 with gold shells for at tier and above.

I just can't manage to do much better than my tank in HP, and thats only an average. I always either do 2400 in a top tier match, or 1000 in an at/below tier match.

I'm 56% and better in medium tanks, and love the 54. Why can't I make it work?

(E: I play on console)

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Dalaram posted:

Now please teach me how to not be a coinflipper in it.

Fire more sizzlers.

I have problems sealing the deal in mine as well. Personal performance in mine is pretty good but only getting a 52.6% WR in it after 327 battles.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Dalaram posted:

Now please teach me how to not be a coinflipper in it

same

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

I find that whenever i get a loving baller flank play going in my T-54, the hand of god descends from the sky and 1 or 2 shots my tank.

Other times I'll try and scrape with a solid angle, or only expose my turret and I'll just get penned by everyone anyway. It confuses me because I see the popular streamers pull it off all of the loving time where they're just bouncing everything in a T-54. I guess they know which tanks that they can and can't scrape/expose turret against, though.

BadLlama posted:

Fire more sizzlers.

Nothing gets me harder than firing Hot & Spicy sizzlers at the side of a Maus

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Looking at the new graphics video it just seems like they're making hills higher with ruined buildings/castles etc. To be honest it looks like it's going to have a bigger impact on arty than the other changes they're making.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Hellsau posted:

Euros, or anyone who plays on the RU server, are the lower tiers healthy for y'all?
Low tiers are pretty fine on EU. Just the other day I did a bit of Pz IC platooning with a clanmate, and we were top tier more often than not. Even had a couple games where over half of the teams were tier 2, and yeah the PzIC is still completely unfair in those situations. Although we did get out-sealclubbed by a Cruiser IV platoon once.

JuffoWup posted:

Have we talked about this yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76XTKfJaszA

Now the pubbies are going to be even more distracted by things that aren't the tanks they should be shooting.
I'm lollin at that crazy epic music. Like hey man, yeah it's pretty sweet graffix but jesus drat calm your poo poo.
Honestly looks hella dope though.

Prav posted:

oh hey 3/5/7 is actually happening. nice. there'll also be 0/5/10 matches for when the MM has too many of some tiers. 0/0/15 will also be possible.

and if i'm reading this right if a strict 357 isn't possible the MM will add more low-tier tanks rather than high-tier ones so you'll get like 249 or 339. so good riddance to 12/2/1 bullshit.

lights, TDs and arty will be mirrored in number across teams. arty is capping at 3 per side. multi-tier idiot platoons are also getting killed. maps will be picked by looking at what the players involved have played recently and avoiding those maps. lotta good stuff.
This makes me so happy.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

T-54 turret is strong but tier 9 and 10 tanks can pen your turret right next to you gun with premium ammo like 100% of the time. Also your hatches are weak.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

primelaw posted:

Yeah I ground out about 250 battles for that loving mission too. Only got 3 medals :\

I played 35 battles and kept track of what I got. 9x 1k, 11x 2k, 5x 25% exp, 6x 25% crew, 2x 50%, 1x 75%, 1x 50% crew. That was enough to tell me that ignoring that op would be beneficial to my health.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

BadLlama posted:

T-54 turret is strong but tier 9 and 10 tanks can pen your turret right next to you gun with premium ammo like 100% of the time. Also your hatches are weak.

Am I wrong in being sullen that T-54 has weak alpha? When I'm literally facing down 1000+ alpha tanks, and am two shots from death, DPM means nothing. I get it, flank, but how the gently caress do you deal with lane based gameplay where a TD can happily peek over the lane, keeping you one mistake from advancing.

It just is a fun tank to play, but gently caress me if I want to win - just play big dumb superheavies

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

ROFLburger posted:

I find that whenever i get a loving baller flank play going in my T-54, the hand of god descends from the sky and 1 or 2 shots my tank.

Other times I'll try and scrape with a solid angle, or only expose my turret and I'll just get penned by everyone anyway. It confuses me because I see the popular streamers pull it off all of the loving time where they're just bouncing everything in a T-54. I guess they know which tanks that they can and can't scrape/expose turret against, though.

Nothing gets me harder than firing Hot & Spicy sizzlers at the side of a Maus

In my best whenever I get going good, suddenly it's like my crew goes full retard and shells start flying way off target. Aside from that I'm too slow to keep up with aggressive teams, but more often than not i get paired on teams that just melt so hard and fast when I do manage to outlive the others the last of us get surrounded quick.
Took the Hellcat through the Fjords and watched all the other TDs with me die quick leaving me to gently caress with a KV-2 and a t-34. By that time the other flank was gone and I got rolled up from behind. The whole match lasted like 2 and a half minutes or so.

ELI PORTER
Sep 16, 2007

I posted on Something Awful and all I got was this lousy t-shirt
Artillery delenda est

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Those new graphics look nice.

I'm surprised they're planning to upgrade them, I always assumed 90% of their player base were using twelfth hand celerons and CRTs.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Barry posted:

I'm surprised they're planning to upgrade them, I always assumed 90% of their player base were using twelfth hand celerons and CRTs.

they are, but you still need a pretty version of the game to show in advertisements and on your shills' streams

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Dalaram posted:

Am I wrong in being sullen that T-54 has weak alpha? When I'm literally facing down 1000+ alpha tanks, and am two shots from death, DPM means nothing. I get it, flank, but how the gently caress do you deal with lane based gameplay where a TD can happily peek over the lane, keeping you one mistake from advancing.

The alpha is the lowest in class. Same is true of the t10s. The strength in the t-54 is its ability to be an rear end in a top hat. You have a good gun, good camo, good view range, a modicum of armor, and good mobility. I don't think it can bully lower tiers quite like the E50 can, but it absolutely can maul most 8s. T10s are trickier of course, but the HEAT shells are still reasonably good and your camo allows you to get into and out of some neat positions. On lane maps :shrug: go somewhere else. If you can't welp RIP.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

rex rabidorum vires posted:

The alpha is the lowest in class. Same is true of the t10s. The strength in the t-54 is its ability to be an rear end in a top hat. You have a good gun, good camo, good view range, a modicum of armor, and good mobility. I don't think it can bully lower tiers quite like the E50 can, but it absolutely can maul most 8s. T10s are trickier of course, but the HEAT shells are still reasonably good and your camo allows you to get into and out of some neat positions. On lane maps :shrug: go somewhere else. If you can't welp RIP.

I'll add a few things: Do not be afraid to run away. Try to look for isolated tanks. Peak out and take shots at tanks that have just fired / busy looking somewhere else. Immediately jump back behind cover after the shot. Only once you have established they are not paying attention to you can you come sit out in the open. Don't suspect that just because no one has been spotted where you are trying to flank through that some pubbie isn't sitting there with his 183 waiting to blast you one. Abuse your view / render range. On super laney maps like mountain pass, sit back, take pot shots where you can, and hope you heavies do something useful.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Prav posted:

they are, but you still need a pretty version of the game to show in advertisements and on your shills' streams

How do I signed up as a shill for free tanks?

Did the STA-2 receive the same buffs as the PC version? If yes its a good buy if you want a tier 8 jap medium premium tank,

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 3, 2017

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
In the console version they're currently selling an IS-3a with a fancy "camouflage" (it's bright red) and am wondering whither it's worth getting, I have the normal IS-3 currently using the 122mm D-25T gun and it's pretty good fun. Also wondering if the STA-2 is worth getting, I'm currently stuck on the Chi-Nu grinding to unlock the Chi-To.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Dalaram posted:

Now please teach me how to not be a coinflipper in it. I simply can't break 50% running it, and never seem to be able to carry.

I played the T-54 with reckless abandon, where I would take any opportunity for a 1v1 with a same tier or lower tier tank, because I believe that if I'm close enough to get in and brawl that I can win a 1v1 while only taking zero damage from lower tiers, or 2 or 3 damaging shots from same tier tanks. Once I was two shotable to most enemies, I'd pull back and output damage from a safe range, using the great camo and view range to whittle everything down.

I'm happy enough to load HEAT and kill anything frontally. If you have 500 HP and alone and there's three enemy tanks left, that's not insurmountable. Being able to stay at range, outspot almost anything coming for you, and either chip away for 300 damage and bailing or outputting 600 or 900 damage if you're safe makes the T-54 able to comeback from a lot. However, if you don't use your tank aggressively enough early game to give your team the chance to snowball, or to weaken as many tanks as you can before pulling back, you can find yourself trying to fight four enemy tanks at the same time because your team didn't bother to shoot enemies, and as good as the T-54 is when you can juke shots or play games near hills, you can't do much if you're getting shot from multiple angles. Sure, sometimes you get aggressive and arti pops you (most likely your own team's arti) or you kill some dude and three tanks pulled off their own flank to come kill you while the four tanks on your team just sit and hide without bothering to shoot the spotted enemies, but those games are outweighed heavily by the games where your early aggression allows your team to obliterate a flank and start a snowball victory.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Is that advice contingent upon having two other people in your platoon that know what they're doing? I find that when I play aggressively to create openings for my team, the 3 pubbie heavies behind me will sit behind their cover and watch me die as I point the enemy heavy guns 180 degrees away from them.

I'm also bad, though.

ROFLburger fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 3, 2017

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Atomizer, can I get one of my many guys into PANSY? I am doing stronghold science.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

The Object 430 II is superior to the T-54.

I have a gigantic erection for this tank.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

ROFLburger posted:

Is that advice contingent upon having two other people in your platoon that know what they're doing? I find that when I play aggressively to create openings for my team, the 3 pubbie heavies behind me will sit behind their cover and watch me die as I point the enemy heavy guns 180 degrees away from them.

I'm also bad, though.

No. It helps to have platoonmates to blame carry you if you end up dying horribly, but solo you are far better off dealing your own HP in damage in the first two minutes of the game, especially if you're bad. If my bad teammates bothered to just deal three damaging shots and die ASAP then I'd win 90% of my games.

BadLlama posted:

That's not a controversial opinion. It's just that the A-44 is so bad and the Obj 416 is so good and can be played in Strongholds and the Obj 430 is yet another tier ten medium. It's cool that the tier 9 is fantastic, but the tier 8 is also fantastic and is more useful for getting missions done and for shooting stuff in strongholds, so it wins on versatility.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
IS-6 verses Defender. Where the gently caress do you shoot these guys? I don't seem to ever penetrate the lower plate, even firing gold. Bad players get shot in the sides/rear but people who know how to use piked armour, where do you shoot those guys? Also as an aggressive IS-6 driver running away is not an option.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

If the lower plate's at a weird angle, and I cant hit the side, I have a lot of success making GBS threads on the commander's hatches. The profile looks small but they're easier to hit than they appear to.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Dalaram posted:

I agree.

I try and flank. I avoid front on with T9 and 10 tanks. I take advantage of camo. I have a 5 skill crew with smooth ride, BIA, Repairs, camo, and Sixth. I even run a 50/50 with gold shells for at tier and above.

I just can't manage to do much better than my tank in HP, and thats only an average. I always either do 2400 in a top tier match, or 1000 in an at/below tier match.

I'm 56% and better in medium tanks, and love the 54. Why can't I make it work?

(E: I play on console)

Travel back in time to when the T-54 could see tier 6 tanks and the HD model update didn't reduce the turret armor.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Could I get an invite to PANSY?
Ingame name: mikesae

Been dongholding all week with goons clanless, would be nice to be a pansy.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Cartoon posted:

IS-6 verses Defender. Where the gently caress do you shoot these guys? I don't seem to ever penetrate the lower plate, even firing gold. Bad players get shot in the sides/rear but people who know how to use piked armour, where do you shoot those guys? Also as an aggressive IS-6 driver running away is not an option.

The 252U can pen you reliably anywhere on the hull with AP and your APCR is a coin flip, at best, if it's not angling it's LFP. You can aim at the cupolas but it will have no reason to sit still to aim at you at close range.

You cannot fight them; the 252 hard counters the IS-6 in a frontal engagement. Since the IS-6 carries so little ammo you can't even bring enough HE to annoy them into making mistakes. Also they're just as fast as you so running away really isn't an option.

E: right now the 112 is substantially better than the IS-6 because its HEAT is fairly reliable against the 252's LFP and the 112's UFP, at least, is reliable against the 252.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Mar 4, 2017

Ultron
Nov 12, 2005
Low in fat
Atomizer, is there a plan for the pansy donghold? What buildings are we upgrading?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Ultron posted:

Atomizer, is there a plan for the pansy donghold? What buildings are we upgrading?

If you can only use one reserve at a time, the credit reserve is the only one that matters. You'll want to build up the financial building, and level up the main building so you can level the financial building up higher. I guess you can level up the air strike and artillery bombardment buildings if they pay for themselves on a win?

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

1.4k exp only good enough for a 1st class, drat OP tanks with high Ace requirements :argh:. Defender is hella good though.

Also those changes to the MM are making me hard. It's not +1/-1 but anything that reduces fighting lots of tiers 10's when i'm credit grinding in 8's is a step in the right direction IMO.

E:

Still not enough :argh: :argh:

Axetrain fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Mar 4, 2017

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

People who have been doing stronghold matches, tell me something. Do you ever face teams with a far different composition than yours? Do you ever see a team with 2 more heavies or a team that has arty when yours doesn't?

Aside from the shitter teams with tomatoes and laughably random vehicle selection, competent Skirmish teams tend to focus on either HTs or LTs/MTs. Tier 8 teams often have vehicles like IS-3s, AMX50s, and T-54LTs or whatever the FotM scout is. Tier 6 teams often feature a bunch of Cromwells OR several heavies with a couple scouts for vision. Occasionally you'll see an SPG, although having even 1 on a 7-man team can be a disadvantage on the wrong map, particularly because the game pace is so quick.

Barry posted:

I accepted the clan invite yesterday but apparently there's a 3 day wait.

3 day wait for what? The only delay I'm aware of is a 24-hour (or is it 48?) one between dropping one clan and joining another.

BadLlama posted:

I already grinded the 13 90 for the bat chat, I have almost grinded enough XP to grab the AMX 30 as well. Now I'll also get to grind it again for the tier X light. 13 90 grind is stronk.

Ugh, I don't know if I can handle another 1390 grind. I mean I like the mobility, but the gun handling is excruciating.

BadLlama posted:

I'll relate the story of me casually chatting with a platoonmate while simultaneously pumping shells from my AMX 50 120 into a T-54's turret cheeks.

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

Atomizer, can I get one of my many guys into PANSY? I am doing stronghold science.

Sure, name?

BadLlama posted:

I've got the 54 but not the 430, although I'm familiar with it. What do you prefer about the latter? They're still pretty similar.

smooth jazz posted:

Could I get an invite to PANSY?
Ingame name: mikesae

Been dongholding all week with goons clanless, would be nice to be a pansy.

I'm pretty sure the previous invite I sent you is still active.

Ultron posted:

I figure the credits and XP ones are most useful. :shrug:

The good thing is that you don't have to attach yourself to a building anymore, all the resources are pooled together. I didn't have enough resources to upgrade any of the major buildings the last time I was in-game, though.

You can check to see if you are able to activate reserves; I made you an XO.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Atomizer posted:

Sure, name?

Uhhhhhhhhh, let's make that "FinalEmus"

Edit: To clarify, my intention is to use one guy in another clan to make another stronghold detachment to try to circumvent the block that prevents a team from playing against the same team multiple times in a row.

The risks:
Pansy's ELO
Pansy's Reputation
My Sanity
The rewards:
A few dozen industrial resources a day
Science
Hilarity

Elusif fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Mar 4, 2017

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
http://wotreplays.com/site/3397795#tundra-desuwa-sp_hpanzer_ru_251

In which a Batchat rams itself to death on my RU-251 without killing me because I caught it on my rear drive wheel.

It was a really weird game, even outside of that, but that's a suitable point to call it a night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I just fought a Tiger II in my IS-6 and lol if you think there's no Russian bias in this game. The other dude had a much better WN8 than me, I'm terrible. All my shots penned, i bounced all of his.

To be fair, the hatred seems to be mostly for real vehicles, they seem to okay with giving Germans good fantasy/sci-fi stuff.