Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

NihilCredo posted:

It seems the best/worst thing Charlie could do now is Thinkagramming Caesar and revealing Jillian's conquest of GKC. Assuming he can convince him he's not lying, I'm really not sure how Caesar would react.

Didn't King Don already tell him that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuwe
Apr 6, 2009

White Coke posted:

Didn't King Don already tell him that?

No, he explicitly didn't reveal anything about the call with Jillian to Caesar, since Don really wanted an excuse to disband him (for not trusting his word).

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

NihilCredo posted:

It seems the best/worst thing Charlie could do now is Thinkagramming Caesar and revealing Jillian's conquest of GKC. Assuming he can convince him he's not lying, I'm really not sure how Caesar would react.

Caesar thinks that Jillian is an agent of CC, and GK has acknowledged being in an unofficial state of war against CC. TV is aware of the existence of a truce agreement between GK and CC, which solidifies the image that CC is using Faq as a proxy to perpetuate the war. None of this detracts from Caesar's prime objective of developing TV's security against CC aggression.

He wouldn't be happy, but he's smart enough to recognize that working with GK is still his best option. If Parson can frame the situation well (Jillian took a city with the defenses of a theoretical level 8 in one turn!), it could even bolster Caesar's dedication to the alliance.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Now this was a good update.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I'm pretty sure Caesar's reaction would "huh okay I guess I get what Don King was going for sort of but also not allying with Gobwin Knob doesn't get Bunny decrypted so not really changing course here."

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Not really anything to say about todays update other then this being the first time I've seen Ben happy.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

That was a well composed comic.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Anyone else read The Last Turn fanfic? I thought it was a neat bit of prose which fit the spirit of the comic well.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Looks like the TV alliance might be about to get shaky. Parson's instinct to just tell the truth was probably the right one, but too late now.

Hob_Gadling posted:

Anyone else read The Last Turn fanfic? I thought it was a neat bit of prose which fit the spirit of the comic well.

First bit of fanfic I've read there, I was impressed. The salt from the readers bitching about how TURNS DON'T WORK THAT WAY :bahgawd: was a nice seasoning.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

poo poo is about to get really real

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Hob_Gadling posted:

Well poo poo I spent four straight hours reading it.

Good stuff.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Rygar201 posted:

Am I wrong in thinking that Marie just violated the treaty with Charlescomm, again?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

Am I wrong in thinking that Marie just violated the treaty with Charlescomm, again?

I believe Faq units are covered.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Rygar201 posted:

I believe Faq units are covered.

Looking it up, it says "unless GK units or interests are threatened by Faq", which may apply in this case. Unless I can think of a reason why it's in Marie's interest to send GK money to Charlescomm, I'll assume it does.

(She can't hurt Jillian either, way, though.)

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Marie's probably taken that into account. Maybe while she was shopping for scrolls she bought one that could neutralize Jillian without doing "material harm" (Thinkamancy or Flower Power or something).

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

She didn't kill the guard and now she has a gun. Ho ho ho!

*Edit*

I misread the page, thought the bodysnatcher guy's spell killed the guard. But no, that was all Marie.

nimby fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Feb 22, 2017

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Even if it breaks the treaty the penalty GK pays in return for a functioning gun and a Decrypted caster poised to storm the Magic Kingdom is definitely worth it.

Rygar201 posted:

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Oh, that's right, she might just turn around and start attacking the MK. I didn't think of that.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I was trying to figure out how much damage she could actually do to Jillian's forces even aside from the contract holding her back, but...right. She was just taking a quick detour to pick up a gun, using the brand new portal no one but a Predictamancer could have known about. Convenient!

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

How badly does Marie not want to die a second time? She might just murder the entire MK to free Wanda.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Yeah, I'm pretty sure GK's gonna destroy/conquer the MK before all's said and done. Possibly sooner rather than later.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

jng2058 posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure GK's gonna destroy/conquer the MK before all's said and done. Possibly sooner rather than later.

Not sure where the story would go after that, dramatically speaking. They can't be allowed to get too powerful.

Maybe we'll see a Charlie/Great Minds alliance at some point? Either way there's got to be something capable of being a serious threat to them even after they get their poo poo together here and deal with the current conflicts.

Of course I still think the story may eventually be gearing up to have Wanda pull something and wind up an antagonist.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Zoe posted:

Of course I still think the story may eventually be gearing up to have Wanda pull something and wind up an antagonist.

On the one hand she hates Charlie for what he did to that Decrypted Archon. On the other Wanda is extremely fatalistic and believes in Toolism, so if she thinks that she has to work with Charlie she will.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
I thought Charlie was in the process of nuking the MK. Well, I'm assuming that the cart rolling to the 2 underground decrypted contains a bomb, anyway.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

White Coke posted:

On the one hand she hates Charlie for what he did to that Decrypted Archon. On the other Wanda is extremely fatalistic and believes in Toolism, so if she thinks that she has to work with Charlie she will.

I read some speculation on the official forums (which okay, I get is never a good thing) that might be coloring my view of things, but in addition to that whole prophecy Jillian and Wanda have going on, it seems to be the generally accepted view that Jillian is Fated to wield the Arkenhammer, and Wanda does have a history of turning on her rulers, in addition to having a fanatically loyal army of Decrypted all ready to go...

Really though I just want Jillian to get Decrypted already because that might lead to her remembering what Charlie did to her brain, though at the same time I don't want the Decryption process forcing her back into a creepy relationship with Wanda that she's already rejected.

Anyway, link for the lazy. I like Jack but yeah, he needs to sit down and shut up for this one and let Parson try the whole 'being a decent and trustworthy guy' approach he does so well. If they gently caress things up with Caesar when all he wants them to do is be on the level, I'm going to be headdesking here. I really like Benjamin too.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

i think Jillian is fated to receive the arkenhammer through the side of the head and I am Very Excited to see this happen

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
gently caress YES.

NOW things are happening.

...interesting she refers to Wanda as 'mistress', I'd have expected Marie of all people to be able to resist that element of Decryption.

Zoe fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Mar 1, 2017

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
First they take the city, then put the bodies through? That won't work, the portal will de-spawn. Stanley would need to change caps again.

Unless Marie incaps Jillian and the capital site is still FAQ's. Hmmm

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Zoe posted:

gently caress YES.

NOW things are happening.

...interesting she refers to Wanda as 'mistress', I'd have expected Marie of all people to be able to resist that element of Decryption.

She is talking to another decypted, she might just be trying to avoid any suspicious behaviour. Hard to say with the big predictomancer game running.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
I think NO DICE might be my favorite sound effect.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Why are so many people hung up on the idea that Marie would not share the other Decrypted's love of Wanda? Nothing we've seen indicates that would be the case. Other casters and warlords share it (Jack, Antium, etc.). Nothing special about Marie in that field.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Why are so many people hung up on the idea that Marie would not share the other Decrypted's love of Wanda? Nothing we've seen indicates that would be the case. Other casters and warlords share it (Jack, Antium, etc.). Nothing special about Marie in that field.

Jack doesn't seem quite as helplessly enthralled as the others, and he's the only example of a caster we've seen until now. But in Marie's case, this was all part of a plan she was getting ready for while still free of the Arkenpliers influence. She's rescuing Wanda for reasons completely apart from Wanda being 'mistress', because it's not Wanda she'd be devoted to here, but the larger goal of what Fate wants (or breaking war on Erfworld, maybe.)

Once Fate is done with Wanda, as a Predictamancer she'd be accepting of that, as Decrypted, not so much.

The idea that she's just saying that for Georgia's benefit makes sense, though.

And someone in the official thread pointed out that the other Predictamancers would not only be aware of this whole 'attack the MK' plan, but apparently just fine with it.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Zoe posted:

And someone in the official thread pointed out that the other Predictamancers would not only be aware of this whole 'attack the MK' plan, but apparently just fine with it.

That or they predicted it'd be better for them if they didn't attempt to prevent Marie from going to IACFYS (formerly GK).

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

If you're dealing with conflicting interests among people who can see/influence the future, where does it end?

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I'm still wondering about Janis.

Why did Janis go out of her way to get Marie decrypted? I know the two are friends, is there more there we don't yet know about? Did Marie predict this and tell Janis it had to be done? Is Janis aware of the possibility that Decrypted die if Wanda does? Is Janis doing this in an effort to get Wanda released?

I'm also wondering where the real end-game is. I don't feel like Charlie is the end-game, I feel like he's the next big boss but that even once Parson has dealt with Charlie however he is meant to, that there's going to be something more. Something further. GK conquering the world is not outside the realm of possibility but that seems too obvious.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
For Janis, the endgame is quite literally to end the game. Specifically, the wargame. She wants to radically change the very nature of the world she lives in. And yes theoretically a possible way for that is the decrypted apocalypse as everyone is turned into a zero-upkeep Wanda cultist, allowing a single empire to cover the entire world without suffering from the diminishing returns of large territories. But if it happens, it's probably not going to happen this way.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
New update gave a lot to chew one. The biggest piece was actually Robs update excuse in the forums.

I don't mind if I have to read the updates the next day because they get posted so late, but it honestly seems like he is now being shady to protect his revenue stream. This excuse seems too weak.

Now if folks actually were online late last night and the site did go down I might be more apt to believe it, but this just seems to convenient to the tune of a thousand and a half dollars.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Donkringel posted:

New update gave a lot to chew one. The biggest piece was actually Robs update excuse in the forums.

I don't mind if I have to read the updates the next day because they get posted so late, but it honestly seems like he is now being shady to protect his revenue stream. This excuse seems too weak.

Now if folks actually were online late last night and the site did go down I might be more apt to believe it, but this just seems to convenient to the tune of a thousand and a half dollars.

It did go down, actually.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I wonder if Parson saying "poo poo" instead of "boop" was intentional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Donkringel posted:

Eh, the other webcomic I read is Order of the Stick, so by that measure Erfworld updates like a clock. The point of his donation mechanics is to keep the comic running regularly, and to that end it works just fine, and I'm not too concerned about an update slightly after midnight. I do want him to keep the quality up and not feel compelled to ship whatever he's got because it's 10pm, and if he got burned by the site going down at the last minute, I can understand how he can't afford to randomly take that kind of financial hit -- it's their only source of income now.

I mean, he could have just run a normal Kickstarter or something and have all the money and no impetus to keep updating regularly, so I tend to cut him some slack if he has to bend the mechanics a tiny bit when he has an unforeseen issue.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 4, 2017