Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

big scary monsters posted:

today we visited a windfarm and she really hated it, the noise of the blades was too much for her i think. cool place to walk around without a dog though, those turbines are really loving big and it's a seriously bizarre landscape to be in

i had to give her lots of reassuring tummy rubs when we got back to the car

what kind of doggie? i have a pit bull and he becomes scared shitless around anything louder than a desk fan. we have to desensitize him to things one-by-one by playing with his favorite toys for hours around scary things. otherwise he barks and hides behind your legs. lol@anyone who is afraid of pitbulls, you just have to like show it a pile of leaves that wasn't there yesterday and it will be terrified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
apparently some of my coworkers rejected a prospective hire's code test because it used static classes

having been here only a month, i was too terrified to ask how i made it through, considering that i used static classes as well

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

raminasi posted:

apparently some of my coworkers rejected a prospective hire's code test because it used static classes

just blanket like that? just straight up "static classes are bad, we pass"? ugh.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

cis autodrag posted:

what kind of doggie? i have a pit bull and he becomes scared shitless around anything louder than a desk fan. we have to desensitize him to things one-by-one by playing with his favorite toys for hours around scary things. otherwise he barks and hides behind your legs. lol@anyone who is afraid of pitbulls, you just have to like show it a pile of leaves that wasn't there yesterday and it will be terrified.

she's a border collie, and kinda skittish maybe even for that breed i think. loves to chase shadows and is fascinated and terrified by every single car that drives by. she was much happier at loch lomond earlier in the week:

(sorry for all the non-job related dog chat, interview fans)

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

static classes are super useful in specific contexts tho

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Bloody posted:

Yeah. For example the Math class in java.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

big scary monsters posted:

she's a border collie, and kinda skittish maybe even for that breed i think. loves to chase shadows and is fascinated and terrified by every single car that drives by. she was much happier at loch lomond earlier in the week:

(sorry for all the non-job related dog chat, interview fans)

this is a good dog. would defiantly employ them. and as a border collie probably better at computers than most programmers.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Bloody posted:

i had to take one when i got a job in a factory

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

cis autodrag posted:

just blanket like that? just straight up "static classes are bad, we pass"? ugh.

it was unclear how much the static classes were an example of greater problems and how much they were considered a problem themselves

for some context: the question is "here is a thing to do, write a class that implements it." the provided algorithm is stateless, so i (and maybe this other person, idk) decided to just make the class static. the reason this is "wrong" is that it's not di-able in the archetypal way. i hope that wasn't the entire reason they rejected it.

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

Bloody posted:

basically everything on this page is cool but basically nothing on this page should be used in production:
http://graphics.stanford.edu/~seander/bithacks.html

i snuck one of these into the webRTC implementation that chrome and safari both use, its been fine

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

Job posting posted:

Position Type
Full Time - Entry Level

Qualifications
2+ Years of work experience with Java programming
Whatever, it's dumb to expect work experience from people who by definition don't have it, but I'll write it off as HR. Let's look at the rest of the qualifications...

quote:

Demonstrated ability to get s*** done without whining.

quote:

Everyone gets their own office
I'm torn.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

job posting includes the word "whining"? holy poo poo abort abort

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

job posting includes the word "whining"? holy poo poo abort abort

lol yeah that ain't HR

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
I think it might be an extremely misguided attempt to seem cool. all the technologies they list are real boring enterprise stuff like j2ee and spring, but the prose is like "free snacks, watch this video of us goofing around in the office, checkout these COOL CLIENTS of ours!" needless to say, I'm not actually applying.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

"must be willing to work with toxic shitheads"

e: speaking of which I have an interview with a consulting company next week

qirex fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 3, 2017

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

MeruFM posted:

apple does not care if you use google search but might if you use an android

google does not care if you use iphones but will care if you use bing unironically, as any company should

Also i had a zune and dumbphone at apple during the iphone4 era and it was fine.
It was mostly just a novelty for my coworkers.

steve jobs would have done a mortal kombat fatality on you if he had seen you

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

da beeper king BABY posted:

watch this video of us goofing around in the office

this is a warning that future workers will be asked to be in one of those videos at some point after which people all over the world will see it and think youre a douchebag

poty fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 3, 2017

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Everyone gets their own office

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

e. vvv sydney australia, actually. poo poo-in kitchen for 350/week

Only registered members can see post attachments!

OldAlias fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 3, 2017

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

180 sqft 3k/month downtown sf 'microapartment'?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

lancemantis posted:

yes this seems to be it; this is something that is evidently only an epidemic in this industry and thus all candidates must prove their peerage with The Whiteboard Trials less they "can't code"

lol

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
on a scale of good to holy gently caress why, what's the consensus on moving to/living in the san fransisco area? i know id probably have to live way the hell outside the city to get any kind of decent housing for the family, but im coming from living in central florida so that seems like a fair trade

its contract-to-hire work, but a decent wage and im already a contractor so its not a huge hit to my employment reliability. my current place is likely never going to unfreeze internal hiring anyway

so basically, SF yes/no?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

if the figgies are good enough

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
mid 6? im coming from a relatively cheap housing area so the costs are way up but its slightly less than double my current

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Whatever, it's dumb to expect work experience from people who by definition don't have it, but I'll write it off as HR. Let's look at the rest of the qualifications...

i have a search saved on indeed for entry level positions, and my favorite so far has been "Ph.D and 3+ years of experience, or MS and 5+ years" although some have been senior positions wanting 7-10 years.

you know, entry level! :downs:

PierreTheMime posted:

mid 6? im coming from a relatively cheap housing area so the costs are way up but its slightly less than double my current

yeah if youre making 300k you should be able to find a place to live within commuting distance

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

PierreTheMime posted:

on a scale of good to holy gently caress why, what's the consensus on moving to/living in the san fransisco area?

quote:

family

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooope

seriously, you have better options.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

so half a million dollars a year? or 10^5.5? or six and a half figgies in the fine yospos tradition?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

PierreTheMime posted:

those costs are way up but you'll definitely be getting what you pay for since you'll be escaping central florida

especially making 6.5 figgies

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

The Management posted:

so half a million dollars a year? or 10^5.5? or six and a half figgies in the fine yospos tradition?

10^5.5. im a decent negotiator but no where near good enough to get a full half mil for the garbage I do

should have realized it when I posted

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PierreTheMime posted:

10^5.5. im a decent negotiator but no where near good enough to get a full half mil for the garbage I do

1/3 of a mil is still quite impressive and would be a very good living in the Bay Area

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

a true 6.5 figgies

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Bloody posted:

a true 6.5 figgies

ehehehe

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

PierreTheMime posted:

you'll have no problems living in the Bay Area on 300k

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

lol that companies think putting "pool table" as a benefit on a job listing isnt a huge red flag

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Thanks Ants posted:

lol that companies think putting "pool table" as a benefit on a job listing isnt a huge red flag

look at our nerf guns

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
i was once given a tour of an office in san jose after a lunch interview where they showed me a low partition separating a run of cubes that had a ledge running along it, kinda like bars sometimes do along a wall near pool tables where you can set your drinks down

they called it the "standing collaboration area" and seemed real proud of it for some reason

there was also a foosball table and a few game consoles in the break area hooked up to a tv, the newest of which was a wii (this was two years ago) in an office of ~40 people

we have "a good mix" of EITs (fresh graduates) and experienced engineers here, he said

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
tbh I think I would want a Real Engineers office to be a serious environment

in fact in general I think i would prefer an evironment that takes itself somewhat seriously, minus dress codes because I can't be bothered with that anymore

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

lancemantis posted:

in fact in general I think i would prefer an evironment that takes itself somewhat seriously, minus dress codes because I can't be bothered with that anymore

congratulations, you're an adult.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

lancemantis posted:

i loved my company's old office. it was the boring cookie cutter turnkey "congrats on your lease here's an office" office with big cubes, tons of sound deadening, and acres of beige that we tried to spice up with a little paint. it was great and dead loving silent. we put sales off in their own corner with a big corridor of conference rooms in the middle so we couldn't hear them.

new office is "lol, we're a startup!" and is loud as hell and I hate it. i really love what I do but I'm seriously considering interviewing again just to find some quiet again. a couple couches and a weird rope sculpture thing doesn't a sound barrier make. it's gotten so bad that sales can't hear themselves on the phone anymore and are leaking over into the engineering side seeking quiet while making calls. apparently we're finally going to invest in some sound deadening because our customers can't hear us anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
offices with doors are the only way. anyone that tells you different is a goddamn idiot.

• Locked thread