Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Harrow posted:

You could check availability online at places like Target and Best Buy, if nothing else.

I'm pinning my hopes on Fry's right now, at the moment m y local one shows them as Available for local pickup so there's at least a slim chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

BambooEarpick posted:

So what's the consensus on screen protectors? Get one? Which one?
I'm not getting one myself because I've never needed a screen protector for my phone or anything else.

That being said I'm told that if you get one it should be a glass one and not a cheap plastic one that can potentially distort the image.

enojy posted:

The dock can supposedly scratch the screen over time. I'd get one if you plan on undocking it often.
That shouldn't be the case. The dock has padding on the edges so the screen never touches the dock itself.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE

bbchops posted:

Yep. First thing I did was update, with the Joy Con connected, and it's been perfect all afternoon in handheld mode. I've just set it up on my TV and immediately Link is casually strolling to his death over cliffs.

Looks like they definitely haven't fixed it yet then. Hopefully people from earlier in the thread were right that they can increase the maximum range of these things with a firmware update since ,supposedly, they set them purposefully lower than they could go for better battery life.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Harrow posted:

How do the joycons feel in the joycon grip thing? When I do get one of these I'm going to get a Pro Controller, probably, but I'm curious how the included grip feels.

Bad imo. Theres no room underneath for your fingers and the grip wings are too short.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Inverness posted:

I'm not getting one myself because I've never needed a screen protector for my phone or anything else.

That being said I'm told that if you get one it should be a glass one and not a cheap plastic one that can potentially distort the image.

That shouldn't be the case. The dock has padding on the edges so the screen never touches the dock itself.

Scratches have already been documented after a week of use from reviewers.

In other words, get a protector. :)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Inverness posted:

Only at the bottom from what i saw during set up. That said, plastic shouldnt be hard enough to scratch the glass unless they really hosed up

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008

Utnayan posted:

Scratches have already been documented after a week of use from reviewers.

In other words, get a protector. :)

Real hurthling! posted:

Only at the bottom from what i saw during set up. That said, plastic shouldnt be hard enough to scratch the glass unless they really hosed up

See, this is what I find puzzling. I've heard the screen is glass, and I'm almost certain that plastics can't scratch glass because of their hardness rating or whatever, right?

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Please convince me not to buy a switch right now and why waiting would be better

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

khy posted:

Please convince me not to buy a switch right now and why waiting would be better

Switch Lite coming in 2 years with a shitload of games available.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I've come to learn it is actually impossible to choose whether to download a game to internal or microSD, and impossible to move a game once it has been downloaded.

Unbelievable.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

LethalGeek posted:

Which dongle out of curiosity, didja get the newer one or had a Wii U hold o ver?

Hold over from the Wii U which was actually a hold over from my Wii. Some third party generic junk I got off Amazon I'm sure

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008

khy posted:

The only good game for it right now is Zelda. Maybe Shovel Knight if you haven't played it yet.
The next contenders of good games for the Switch are 1-2 Switch, a 50 dollar tech demo and Let's Dance 2017.

The next real game is probably Mario Kart 8 at the end of April.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

When will Sonic Mania be coming out because I heard good things about that one

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Hows shovel knight coop work? I wanna play with my 6 year old but she will die a lot, is there punishment for 1 player dying?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

InFlames235 posted:

Looks like they definitely haven't fixed it yet then. Hopefully people from earlier in the thread were right that they can increase the maximum range of these things with a firmware update since ,supposedly, they set them purposefully lower than they could go for better battery life.

It's in the hardware per FCC filings. Nothing to do with software.

If I understood that post correctly which I might not have!

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

If anyone has any brick and mortar Amazon Book stores around them check them out. The one in Seattle will have them in stock all day according to the phone call I just made. I'm gonna pick one up after lunch

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Bombadilillo posted:

Out for delivery, finially. Now as long as they actually accept my authorized leave it at my door instead of just tapping the missed you notice on my door without knocking I will be happy.

What?

Years of people fear mongering the USB C format and how unless it's the specific type approved by one nerd's Amazon review your device has a 50/50 chance of combusting

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Soul Glo posted:

It's in the hardware per FCC filings. Nothing to do with software.

No, we know they put in a lovely antenna. If the transmitter is still only at 50% you can still make it better by firmware update.

We know the why, but nothing about their ability to fix it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

ITS HERE AHHHH

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

My Zelda shovel knight machine is awesome.

Get it.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
dont think i've got this joycon issue everyone seems to have, i had to go down my hallway into another room before any fuckery started.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

khy posted:

The only game out so far is Zelda, being an early adopter on wacky new electronics sucks, Nintendo is well known for doing hardware revisions that improve a lot on initial designs, there's like jack poo poo for games coming out until the end of the year, there's no virtual console yet.

imo it sounds like a solid wait and see if you're not already Nintendo crazy. I'm the sort of person who really wants to get one to plop down and play Mario Kart and VC stuff with friends in weird places and I'm definitely waiting until at least MK and more likely until a revision/price drop. Like if the end of April comes around and literally all the problems we're hearing about are confirmed bullshit and I can get my hands on a separated joycon and make sure I'd be ok playing games with it then I might splurge.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 3, 2017

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Delivered, now its almost time, end work END.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

khy posted:

When will Sonic Mania be coming out because I heard good things about that one

Says Q2 2017 but also it's also on other consoles and PC.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Better Fred Than Dead posted:

Hold over from the Wii U which was actually a hold over from my Wii. Some third party generic junk I got off Amazon I'm sure

This is exactly what I wanted to hear, cause I probably have the same junk one you do.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Got my switch! The grip sucks, pro is a must

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The N64, GameCube and wiiu didn't get hardware revisions did they?

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Ciaphas posted:

I imagine my odds of getting a Switch on the wa y home from work, pre-order free, are pretty goddamn slim. But I waaant oonnnnee. :smithicide:

Just make sure to call ahead if you have doubts. Brickseek still had my closest Walmart has having 2 Neons and more Grays (I was thinking of getting a Neon instead of the Gray that is out for delivery). However, I decided to call and they were out of stock. So those online sites sometimes don't update for hours/end of the day.

It appears a lot of places are selling out now that it is later in the day.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Intel&Sebastian posted:

The only game out so far is Zelda, being an early adopter on wacky new electronics sucks, Nintendo is well known for doing hardware revisions that improve a lot on initial designs, there's like jack poo poo for games coming out until the end of the year, there's no virtual console yet.

imo it sounds like a solid wait and see if you're not already Nintendo crazy. I'm the sort of person who really wants to get one to plop down and play Mario Kart and VC stuff with friends in weird places and I'm definitely waiting until at least MK and more likely until a revision/price drop. Like if the end of April comes around and literally all the problems we're hearing about are confirmed bullshit and I can get my hands on a separated joycon and make sure I'd be ok playing games with it then I might splurge.

I'm Zelda crazy and I hear so many good things about Zelda but I'm not Nintendo crazy.

It's frustrating I want Zelda so much but other than that I have little to no interest in the Switch

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Calaveron posted:

Every single handheld has though.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Calaveron posted:

N64 and GC did, though minor ones other than GC losing the digital out port. Not sure about the WiiU. The N64 revisions were minor board changes that affects how easy it is to RGB mod it.

khy posted:

I'm Zelda crazy and I hear so many good things about Zelda but I'm not Nintendo crazy.

It's frustrating I want Zelda so much but other than that I have little to no interest in the Switch

Well right now if you have a 3DS and a WiiU, you can play pretty much all Zelda games. So don't get the Switch and stick with your WiiU.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 3, 2017

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

khy posted:

Yeah I'm kind of thankful I don't care about Zelda at all or I'd probably be in your boat.

Edit: You know Zelda is on the WiiU too right? You could probably find one of those at a pawn shop or on craigslist right now for the best price it's ever been with people ditching them for Switches.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ciaphas posted:

I imagine my odds of getting a Switch on the wa y home from work, pre-order free, are pretty goddamn slim. But I waaant oonnnnee. :smithicide:

my local target and best buys have one

does amazon prime now service your city? same day delivery

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
One thing I read about the Joycon issue is that some TVs can provide interference. Try moving your switch dock further away from the TV, per Nintendo Customer Support.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/5xbf7s/if_youre_having_joycon_issues_but_the_lights_are/

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

khy posted:

I'm a little torn right now. Of the Switch games coming out this year, the only ones I care about are Zelda, Splatoon 2, and Mario Odyssey, and those are really far apart. Thing is, I also would kind of like to have my Zelda saves on the Switch whenever I do get one for when the DLC comes out, so I don't have to go back to the Wii U for that.

But since I'm probably not going to buy a Switch until, like, next year, I'm just gonna get Wii U Zelda and I guess rebuy it and play through it again next year? That seems dumb but so does buying a Switch right now so :v:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Yeah actually I wouldn't say a revision is for sure coming because they seem to be backing off this thing being a DS replacement but that just makes me less likely to ever want to buy one assuming a lot of the hardware probs I'm hearing about are real.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I'm not even sure if I'll ever hook the dock up to the tv. I love this thing in portable mode so much

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I want to play Splatoon 2 but if the wifi is actually bad like the OG PS4's or something then that game is DOA. Even if a sizeable number of people buy the ethernet port (lol) you're still going to be matched up with a bunch of people who don't have one.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Just walked out of the Seattle Amazon Books store. They had like 20 neon colored ones left and a bunch of grey ones

Edit: and 20 percent off new games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Fast RMX is a pretty sweet F-Zero stand in if people need that itch scratched. Once you get going with a boost poo poo looks nuts it's pretty great

gotta go fast

• Locked thread