Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Baronjutter posted:

But if you let them migrate they'll often leave their planets you built them on. I tried to make a robot-only planet because my race treated it at 40% hab and I could terraform it but robots sounds more fun. Like half the population left, the sector ai gets hosed if you tell it to build robots, and a bunch of idiot meat people moved there to enjoy the 40% hab. I only noticed it because they started to complain about the lack of food....

The solution there seems to be turning off migration though, so a build where pops want migration for happiness robots probably aren't optimal. in. A Xenophobe/Materialist/Militarist build, my go-to, nobody minds prohibited migration and with the pair of unique buildings from those ethics I keep all my pops above 75% happiness. It would be higher if I could convert everyone to synths far more easily than currently, which is just what Utopia allows and has me most excited. It seems it would allow a bio build just as easily too, which is equally intriguing. I assume the ethics changes are going to shake it all up somewhat though. Fanatical purifiers sound extremely my poo poo.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

genericnick posted:

As things currently look letting players pick two level one ascension perks would just be a new trap. All the really cool poo poo is in level 2.

You'd only ever do it for roleplaying reasons. Just like right now the best build is always to be fanatic something.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Kitchner posted:

You'd only ever do it for roleplaying reasons. Just like right now the best build is always to be fanatic something.

Psychic cyborgs sound like a fun thing but in game terms you'd basically just get some better pop and leader stats.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The 40k fans are going to be mad they can't be genetically engineered cyborg psykers.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
It is kinda irritating that for now things are being forbidden but I have at least some level of faith that later they'll be able to think of viable hybrid builds.

It is a bit sad how there currently is a distinct lack of specifically overlapping uniques though; things like warrior fanatics for spiritual collectivists for instance or some such or bio-mechanical things, like how you could create biological robot pops; they'd in essence be robots that are a bit weaker than robots, a bit more limited than real pops but would run off of food, not energy.

Or hell, maybe even have lithovores; have it be all minerals all the time~

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

The 40k fans are going to be mad

i'd hope they'd be used to that by now

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Brother Entropy posted:

i'd hope they'd be used to that by now
Madder perhaps? You don't become a Warhammer fan without being a bit warp tainted in the head.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

New new "Delicious" super trait for biological ascension gives a whole new meaning to the title of this thread.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Kitchner posted:

I thought the best builds right now were still to avoid being Fanatic anything, in favor of being three things?

I'm going to start a new run, looking to be as gimmicky as possible with Extremely Adaptive. Migration treaties with everyone, looking to steal as many pops as possible from other empires, which really implies being an Individualist of some sort. Once migration kicks off my pop ethos will be poo poo anyway, so I might as well pair with Deviants for a free point. The question is really where my other two ethos points go; with pop ethos being negligible (I should but won't micro my pops on tiles, because it'll be MP), I'm really buying access to unique buildings and Empire effects.

Xenophile seems like the obvious choice, but Trust Growth bonus is useless as gently caress since I will be ignoring diplomacy besides liberating and vassalizing, and Visitor Centres look really lacklustre, especially if I wind up going Fan. Indiv. Alternatively, Pacifist for Paradise Domes and the crazy government types? Or just default into Materialist which is just generally solid?

My gut tells me Fan-Indiv, Pac.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Mar 3, 2017

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

deathbagel posted:

New new "Delicious" super trait for biological ascension gives a whole new meaning to the title of this thread.

Nope, that was p much the meaning from the start.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I serve mankind.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I bet there's good eatin' on a blorg stroganoff.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I'm imagining a really powerful empire gene-modding themselves to be delicious, not because they're cannibals, but just because they want to have the satisfaction of knowing that they are the tastiest food in the galaxy and no one can have any.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
All I want is to open the eye of terror so we can live forever and ever and ever

Screaming.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

PittTheElder posted:

My gut tells me Fan-Indiv, Pac.

Whenever I go pacifist I try being a Peaceful Bureaucracy, since I love the idea of a bunch of put-upon bureaucrats trying to run a massive stellar empire solely with paperwork and red tape.

I like to imagine that they only reason they're considered to be "pacifist" is that to draft a declaration or war or an intent to purge a species takes 70,000 pages of documents, split over hundreds of departments and everything just gets mired in tribal squabbles and petty inter-departmental feuds.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

lilspooky posted:

How is this game overall for multiplayer? I have a group of friends I regularly play with and we've got a variety of things we play. We enjoy the Civ series and Civ 6 is.........ok. It's a lot better from a multiplayer stability point compared to prior Civ games but it's probably not the best Civ game to date (putting it nicely). Hopefully that'll change with expansions. Anyhow, a lot of us are old Master Of Orion fans and we've been curious about this game but have been waiting for a sale.

I play with a couple of friends from another country and it's quite good. Latency occasionally gets a bit annoying on my end, because one of them is hosting it in their country, but I think I'm the only one who is affected. My CPU not being amazing could be affecting that, as well.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So how the heck is that AI rebellion crisis gonna work with the new ascension paths? Before, it had a chance to fire for empires that had synths but didn't give them rights, yeah? Seems like this time around, there's gonna be significantly fewer empires that discriminate against synths (cause they'll be going down the synthetic path), and probably fewer synths in hostile empires (can biological and psionic bros even build synths? and if they can, would they want to bother?). How's that gonna get compensated for? Higher chance of the rebellion starting up? That seems like it'd make them a trap choice for non synthetic ascenders.

And hey, while I'm posting, I wish the biological path let you upgrade inhabited worlds into gaias, and maybe let you terraform some of the uninhabitable worlds. Go maximum Prometheus. Maybe I'll loot other mods and put that in my homebrew.

Soup du Journey fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 3, 2017

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Sky Shadowing posted:

I'm just going to say i doubt it would be outrageously difficult to do synth versions of all main portraits. So long as they stick to the animations of the original it should just be a retexture.

Time and work, yes, but in terms of animating not really much extra work.

Make it so each synth can be building another synth on the same planet.

Set free migration, watch the bots swarm the galaxy :kheldragar:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Some people seemed to be wondering what the point of the robot ascension is, compared to the other paths. I kinda figured the point was the massive synergy they have with Dyson Spheres. They just build one of those babies around a core world and get all the energy they could ever possibly need, which lets them cover their planets with research labs. And they don't even care about the penalty of freezing all their worlds because they have 100% habitability everywhere. I just assumed these two things were meant to be done together.

Er, wait, is frozen different from Arctic? That would change things...

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

^ frozen is different from artic yeah, frozen planets are totally uninhabitable

Soup du Journey posted:

So how the heck is that AI rebellion crisis gonna work with the new ascension paths? Before, it had a chance to fire for empires that had synths but didn't give them rights, yeah? Seems like this time around, there's gonna be significantly fewer empires that discriminate against synths (cause they'll be going down the synthetic path), and probably fewer synths in hostile empires (can biological and psionic bros even build synths? and if they can, would they want to bother?). How's that gonna get compensated for? Higher chance of the rebellion starting up? That seems like it'd make them a trap choice for non synthetic ascenders.

And hey, while I'm posting, I wish the biological path let you upgrade inhabited worlds into gaias, and maybe let you terraform some of the uninhabitable worlds. Go maximum Prometheus. Maybe I'll loot other mods and put that in my homebrew.

i don't think it's a given that every empire will take one of the three ascension paths, especially when there's more straightforward but still strong bonuses or cool stuff like megastructures that also require ascension perks to unlock

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I just hope it's impossible for the AI crisis to spread to a fully synthetic empire, otherwise it's just an immediate "gently caress YOU, YOU LOSE" with no gameplay attached.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

a synthized empire should get a decision to either fight against the AI crisis or join it

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Soup du Journey posted:

For what it's worth I have never seen the AI Rebellion trigger even as it stands. It's very easy to avoid as the player. It's unclear how often the computer will draw the tech, research, build, and discriminate against synths but it seems like the odds of that happening before one of the other crises pops must be pretty low.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Bold Robot posted:

For what it's worth I have never seen the AI Rebellion trigger even as it stands. It's very easy to avoid as the player. It's unclear how often the computer will draw the tech, research, build, and discriminate against synths but it seems like the odds of that happening before one of the other crises pops must be pretty low.

I almost got it to happen once. Was getting random events of synths disappearing/going berserk, etc. But then the Scourge showed up and the robots all got over the whole rebellion thing.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Has anyone else had an issue with guardians and space critter "masters" being... passive, I guess. The first time I saw this, it was the space pirate lead galleon, which is whatever. Now, the Enigmatic Fortress won't attack my fleet, nor can I attack it, meaning I can't start any of its projects. What is causing this? Did the AI beat it and then never research the project associated with it?

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006

Bofast posted:

I play with a couple of friends from another country and it's quite good. Latency occasionally gets a bit annoying on my end, because one of them is hosting it in their country, but I think I'm the only one who is affected. My CPU not being amazing could be affecting that, as well.

Thanks for the response!

One other quick question. How are mods handled in multiplayer? Does everyone have to download them or can they get them from the host when they connect?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

GunnerJ posted:

Has anyone else had an issue with guardians and space critter "masters" being... passive, I guess. The first time I saw this, it was the space pirate lead galleon, which is whatever. Now, the Enigmatic Fortress won't attack my fleet, nor can I attack it, meaning I can't start any of its projects. What is causing this? Did the AI beat it and then never research the project associated with it?

I failed the Enigmatic Fortress once, killed it again, and the followup didn't trigger. I feel your pain. Got stalled on the Cybrex chain after getting 5/5 artifacts too :(

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

ChickenWing posted:

I failed the Enigmatic Fortress once, killed it again, and the followup didn't trigger.

Me too. :smith:

So much build up. So much let down.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Regarding robot portraits, mechanized pops look like they have a specific trait. Clothes and facial hair that species normally wear use the same triggering system used in events, so hair and clothes can be made to check for if a species has a specific trait, like being roboticized.

It should be possible to make a mod where the graphics-switching part of the event uplifting a species into a robot body is disabled, leaving them with the same species graphic that they already have. From that, it's not hard (although it is tedious) to add in cyborg/robot-specific clothes that only appear if the species has the synth trait. The end result would be a species that still resembles the old organic species, but with, like, robo-beards and shiny cyborg clothes or whatever.

The one downside to that approach is that you could select all the robo-clothes for your ruler in the empire creation menu, but after that ruler dies they would never show up again until the species does the synth thing.

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

The default game settings make the galaxy feel crowded, like I'm fighting for territory from the get go and struggle to get 5 continental planets. How important is it to use your species preffered planet type, if I put humans on a tropical or ocean world, am I hamstringing myself? Also with fewer empires does the ai cheat and be able to build more frontier outposts to spread out more than I would be able to?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've never once gotten anything interesting out of the big black hole orb machine thing. I'm usually always materialist and it gives me the option to hack it or ignore it. If I ignore it nothing happens, if I hack it they peace out and say bye.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Baronjutter posted:

I've never once gotten anything interesting out of the big black hole orb machine thing. I'm usually always materialist and it gives me the option to hack it or ignore it. If I ignore it nothing happens, if I hack it they peace out and say bye.

I helped it compute some stuff as a spiritualist once

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Namaer posted:

The default game settings make the galaxy feel crowded, like I'm fighting for territory from the get go and struggle to get 5 continental planets. How important is it to use your species preffered planet type, if I put humans on a tropical or ocean world, am I hamstringing myself? Also with fewer empires does the ai cheat and be able to build more frontier outposts to spread out more than I would be able to?

the 60% planets aren't a huge problem to deal with, especially as you tech up and get more tools to increase habitability or happiness; you've also got droids who have 100% everywhere and bringing in other species(either willingly or unwillingly) to hang out on planets your starting species would hate being on

and i don't think the ai cheats(at least not on normal), they just might have more influence per month coming in than you via leader trait or technology

Penultimatum
Apr 2, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

As a materialist I hacked it once and got the sentient AI technology. It self-destructed afterwards. I think there's also an in-depth event chain, but I've never finished it.

Also, I really hope there's more to the synthetic ascension tree than we're seeing, as just turning everyone into robots feels like kind of a crappy version of the technological singularity. If you can't fuse everyone's consciousnesses together and become god like in The Last Question then what's the point?

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

God drat why does the game save so often in iron man? Running on the fastest speed and game hangs from saving for like 5 secs way too often.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Namaer posted:

Running on the fastest speed

I think I see the problem.

Just run the game at a regular speed and let it run, rather than pausing every two seconds.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

PittTheElder posted:

Just run the game at a regular speed and let it run, rather than pausing every two seconds.

Nah. For the other games (CK2, EU4) I thought the ironman autosave was switched to more like every six months or 1 year, and I wish Stellaris would do the same.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

ChickenWing posted:

I failed the Enigmatic Fortress once, killed it again, and the followup didn't trigger. I feel your pain. Got stalled on the Cybrex chain after getting 5/5 artifacts too :(

I had that happen too in another game, but what's weird here is that if an AI beat it before I got there, then the fortress apparently never re-armed. I can fly right up to it with no problem, it doesn't attack.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

PittTheElder posted:

I think I see the problem.

:lol: if you ever run on any speed other than max at all times in all paradox games. That's some crazy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I don't understand why it has those other speed settings. Although sometimes I will use the slow one to watch the pew pew of early game battles (by late game, tick lag is strong enough that full speed is just as fast).

• Locked thread