Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Yeah actually I wouldn't say a revision is for sure coming because they seem to be backing off this thing being a DS replacement but that just makes me less likely to ever want to buy one assuming a lot of the hardware probs I'm hearing about are real.

Naw the DS was going to be "The third pillar" alongside the Gameboy and tv consoles. Then it took the gently caress off and bye bye Gameboy. It will take a whole lot of success for this to replaces the 3ds but its not impossible. And you should for sure not take their word for it.

A tablet device screams revision. If they can combine some cards and squeeze more room for more battery life I fully expect that to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Am I the only one having issues getting this thing connected to the internet? When running the setup it kept saying it couldn't obtain my IP, so I put everything in manually as best as I could. It says it connected, but when trying to do the system update it keeps saying can't communicate with the server...

If I do a connection test it fails, but if I do the manual setting it says it's connected. WTF

I've literally never had an issue with anything connecting to my router.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bombadilillo posted:

Naw the DS was going to be "The third pillar" alongside the Gameboy and tv consoles. Then it took the gently caress off and bye bye Gameboy.

This. If the Switch ends up selling like hotcakes, there will be no *DS line.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I skipped the TV connection step last night because I was far too tired to gently caress around with the rat's nest of cables behind our entertainment center, now I've got the dock hooked up to the wall and my HDMI splitter and when I put the Switch in nothing happens. How do I get back to that TV setup screen? The TV options menu doesn't have anything useful.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

katkillad2 posted:

Am I the only one having issues getting this thing connected to the internet? When running the setup it kept saying it couldn't obtain my IP, so I put everything in manually as best as I could. It says it connected, but when trying to do the system update it keeps saying can't communicate with the server...

If I do a connection test it fails, but if I do the manual setting it says it's connected. WTF

I've literally never had an issue with anything connecting to my router.

Power cycle it and try again. The servers are also likely getting hammered right now.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

https://twitter.com/GiornoPizza/status/837440733405655041

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008
Uggghhhnnnnnggghhhhh.

I can't even focus on doing my work because I want a Switch so bad but I know in my brain I'll regret getting one right now.

Edit: All the fun looking games (Ultimate Chicken Horse, Overcooked) only look fun because you play it with friends and god knows I don't have friends.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Amazon takes its sweet loving time whenever they deliver things to me. I drove around to see if I could find pro controllers anywhere. I called a Walmart that had one but it was gone by the time I got there. Target had three Zelda special editions but I already have one of those.

Fake edit: While typing this post, Amazon showed up with my switch.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

i am sitting here with two games and five amiibo watching the fedex truck with my switch go everywhere but my house

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Which of the ambiii are cool / good?

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

The Metroid ones

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

MarcusSA posted:

Which of the ambiii are cool / good?

I have one amiibo and his name is waluigi.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

the zelda and bokoblin ones are my favorites. i thought the guardian would be better but the legs are all rubber over bendy wire. you probably don't want to move it too much if you don't want it to break

e: or did you mean amiibo in general?

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Mine arrived from Amazon with a dead LCD screen. I didn't notice it until a couple of hours after playing docked. Tried re-initializing and the usual. Oh well.

edit: Well that's great, Amazon can only do full refunds on this product. Guess I'm boned.

ghostinmyshell fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 3, 2017

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Harrow posted:

Thing is, I also would kind of like to have my Zelda saves on the Switch whenever I do get one for when the DLC comes out, so I don't have to go back to the Wii U for that.

Do not buy a Switch right now especially if you have a Wii U. Unless you have a lot of money to blow. This literally is a Zelda machine with defective joypads until the end of the year at least.

On the other hand for goons who don't have a Wii U the purchase is reasonable because not being able to play Zelda sucks hard. I never gave a gently caress about being a Nintendo hardware early adopter though. You probably shouldn't either.

Kawabata fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 3, 2017

Grimes
Nov 12, 2005

Careful sliding the switch in the dock, I guess, or get a screen protector. Why did they make the screen plastic?

Pappyland
Jun 17, 2004

There's no limit to your imagination!
College Slice
Are brickseek numbers accurate at the moment? Does my local Wal-Mart really have 80-someodd switches in stock still?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Pappyland posted:

Are brickseek numbers accurate at the moment? Does my local Wal-Mart really have 80-someodd switches in stock still?

Stock systems usually update one a day, at night. Or they used to years ago. Might be pre-midnight launch numbers. Just call man.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Amazon still hasn't shipped mine, it's just "ready to ship" but still has an 8pm of tonight arrival date. Good thing I used vacation time from work for today :v:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Grimes posted:

Careful sliding the switch in the dock, I guess, or get a screen protector. Why did they make the screen plastic?

Not cool.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

PerrineClostermann posted:

This. If the Switch ends up selling like hotcakes, there will be no *DS line.

Maybe if they have a Switch mini with permanently attached controls that has a sub 720p screen and run at lower power to allow for passive cooling and a reasonable battery life (3-5 hours). I can't see them replacing a DS sized handheld for the kid/pre-teen market, both for cost to parents and comfortable handling for the kids.

But ya, I can see them going back to the Gameboy line with a single screen that is more in line with a Vita form factor, would cut costs on 2 screens and hinges. But it still may be a separate line of games if they can't get something portable/powerful enough to play Switch games in that form factor.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

BambooEarpick posted:

See, this is what I find puzzling. I've heard the screen is glass, and I'm almost certain that plastics can't scratch glass because of their hardness rating or whatever, right?
Apparently it's plastic and no one noticed until now or something. So hey less likely to break...but probably easy to scratch.

Guess I'll be in the market for a glass screen protector now :downs:

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Amazon takes its sweet loving time whenever they deliver things to me. I drove around to see if I could find pro controllers anywhere. I called a Walmart that had one but it was gone by the time I got there. Target had three Zelda special editions but I already have one of those.

Fake edit: While typing this post, Amazon showed up with my switch.

If you launch your angry tirade about shipping issues over the internet, it eventually fixes itself.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Grimes posted:

Is the screen plastic? or is there a plastic film on the screen that can be removed? That makes no sense on glass unless there is some type of AR coating.

japtor posted:

Apparently it's plastic and no one noticed until now or something. So hey less likely to break...but probably easy to scratch.

Oh, well way to cheap out Nintendo

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im really excited to get home yall

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's a plastic screen.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

japtor posted:

I've got one on the way, but it's shipping from god knows where and probably won't show up for a couple of weeks. Maybe I'll look for a plastic one locally to last me until it gets here.

Or yeah, maybe it comes with a film on it that some people hadn't noticed, and that's what's getting scratched?

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I can't find out how to make my Switch connect to my TV, everyone else says theirs just immediately connects when put in the dock, mine doesn't do anything and the Switch's screen stays on

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

inferis posted:

the zelda and bokoblin ones are my favorites. i thought the guardian would be better but the legs are all rubber over bendy wire. you probably don't want to move it too much if you don't want it to break

e: or did you mean amiibo in general?

Yeah I meant ones for the switch.

I have a Mario and pikachu one that sit on my desk because they look cool.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
So, how bad is Bomberman?

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Apparently the officially licensed PDP screen protector is too big and overhangs the screen and causes bubbles.

Dammit, guess I will be purchasing the glass one ASAP... why didn't I order it last week like I thought to and just cancel my other Screen Protector? haha

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Amazon still hasn't shipped mine, it's just "ready to ship" but still has an 8pm of tonight arrival date. Good thing I used vacation time from work for today :v:

I used 3 days of vacation so I could play today and over the weekend. It's going to be a real kick in the balls if it shows up on Monday.

Also even if the screen scratches easily I'll still take a scratched up screen over using a screen protector. Oh no, a scratch, the resale value is ruined.

Edit: Those scratches don't even run straight vertically so there's probably some dipshittery involved that they aren't mentioning, like with the Joy-Cons popping off.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 3, 2017

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm predicting a whole bunch of little things like the screen being plastic to crop up and piss people off.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I will tell you. I'm excited that Zelda is so good, apparently... but as someone who has not owned nor played a Nintendo, really, since the SuperNES days, and as a dad of small kids... I'm pretty amped for Mario Kart.

solarbeam
Nov 29, 2005
just wait for hori's screen protector

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

solarbeam posted:

just wait for hori's screen protector

Isn't it going to be PET Film?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Grimes posted:

WTF. Now I have to be absurdly careful each time I want to play on the TV.

Feenix posted:

I will tell you. I'm excited that Zelda is so good, apparently... but as someone who has not owned nor played a Nintendo, really, since the SuperNES days, and as a dad of small kids... I'm pretty amped for Mario Kart.

You're in for a treat. Vanilla Mario Kart 8 was already the best Mario Kart.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
And Mario Kart 7 is a close second.

Mario Kart's been really loving good lately.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Grimes posted:

Plastic screen is pretty dumb, yikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

I'm predicting a whole bunch of little things like the screen being plastic to crop up and piss people off.
I'm predicting I will have a lot of fun with Zelda and not give a poo poo about a lot of the little things.

PerrineClostermann posted:

Isn't it going to be PET Film?
I think they have two available? Like one regular and one premium or heavy duty or something, I figured the former is a film type and the other is glass but haven't looked into it.

• Locked thread