Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I'm genuinely not sure why Malmutate is still in the game when temp bad mutations already exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

fool_of_sound posted:

I'm genuinely not sure why Malmutate is still in the game when temp bad mutations already exist.

Because having your character get hosed up is good and summon butterflies deserves its niche.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Nuclearmonkee posted:

A good simulacra like a gold dragon or titan will pop up 8 or so copies with their normal melee + extra cold damage and can kill hell branch bosses/pan lords without breaking a sweat. Also you can freezing cloud right into them and they don't care.

To provide the good corpses Kiku is pretty necessary tho.

Oh nice I didn't realize it could even work that way; you don't get that impression from reading the description. I wanna try it now though.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Because having your character get hosed up is good and summon butterflies deserves its niche.

/me strikes nuclearmonkee with an antisemite weapon.

E: remember when you had a Big Kobold sumulacrum on the 7th floor of hell

Decrepus fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 3, 2017

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
I still can't get on any webtiles sites in the US, send help :(

Trying to open akrasiac or berotato just results in "The Websocket connection was closed. Reload to try again."

I can get to http://crawl.akrasiac.org/ but I can't seem to get the webserver at all. I've tried different browsers, rebooting my computer, and rebooting my router.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Darth Windu posted:

Haha yeah I walked into that one ouch

In all seriousnesss (I'm always serious) I like the human custom apts idea a lot. Of course high elves need to come back too, like it's insane to me that the devs are ignoring their entire player base on some of this stuff but HE especially.

How hard is this game to code? For someone with no experience, or is it like CK2 where anyone with notepad++ can do it? And if I put the effort in would my stuff even get into the real game? Honestly I'd be happy with a branch for myself with high elves or high orcs.

High Orcs
Like hill orcs but with:
Long blades +2
Spellcseting -2
Translocates, Charms, Air 0
Dodging -1

I think that would be a cool change and not too strong.

Also give more random good mutations like ds and draconians, maybe make up a demonspawn set for demigods? I have lots of good ideas.

Crawl is coded in C++, so it helps to have some experience in programming to understand the flow. However, species are pretty easy to implement if you don't plan on giving them any unique abilities. Here's an example new species guide that was recently added to the documentation.

As for actually getting the change added to the Stone Soup branch, you should get on the #crawl-dev IRC and discuss your change there. Have a good reason as to why the change should be made (how does changing the Hill Orc aptitudes around improve the game or make it more interesting aside from "it's fun" or "gently caress you that's how"; how is the new Hill Orc different from other species with these changes, and is that a good direction to move them?) and be open to criticism and changing things around from your original concept. If you are arguing for a removed feature to be re-added, be willing to listen to why it was removed in the first place and work within the design philosophy/goals to find an alternative way to re-add it that fixes those issues. Be willing to accept that some ideas may be flawed and unworkable, and don't become indignant over it (or devs will be less likely to work/discuss things with you in the future). If you get a good majority of the devs agreeing with your proposal, you'll want to use git to make a fork of crawl, make a branch with the proposed changes, and either create a pull request on the main repository or a patch to submit to Mantis. A dev will usually be kind enough to walk you through it if you get stuck.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Mystery Prize posted:

Trying to open akrasiac or berotato just results in "The Websocket connection was closed. Reload to try again."

I can get to http://crawl.akrasiac.org/ but I can't seem to get the webserver at all. I've tried different browsers, rebooting my computer, and rebooting my router.

The websites are up, I can connect to it fine. Your internet is hosed on your end.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Because having your character get hosed up is good

This but the opposite

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Mystery Prize posted:

Looks like https://crawl.develz.org/mantis/view.php?id=10896 , so assuming that you're not 'stef', it's not just you. Wonder what's going on there?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

fool_of_sound posted:

The recent potion change helped some. I think stat mutations should probably go too. I would rather get shoutitis than -2 dex. At least the former means something.

e: my malmutate experience in my current game: Find lajatang of order. Great, I'll use this as my primary weapon in Slime. Walk into view of Shining Eye. Instant -2 dex. Cool, I don't know why I brought this poo poo stick.

Fitzy Fitz fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 3, 2017

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Honestly changing a race to have slightly different aptitudes or whatever just sounds insanely boring to me.

Please make more unique and cool poo poo that completely change how you play like octopode, (updated) hopkins, felid (although I hate them). A handful of races that are just shifts in xp rate/hp/apts is fine, but I like going 'bleh I'm bored of playing this game the 'normal' way, gimme something fuckin weird'.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010

PleasingFungus posted:

Looks like https://crawl.develz.org/mantis/view.php?id=10896 , so assuming that you're not 'stef', it's not just you. Wonder what's going on there?

Yeah that's not me. The issue seems to have resolved itself, but I still have no idea why only I was unable to connect to it for like three hours :iiam:

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
If they're going to update any race to be more interesting, I hope it's Demigods. No worshiping is a massive cost to pay for something as boring as fast stat growth.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

I think it is good to have a mix of boring and exotic species. I like Demigod design as is, even if that is not the type of species I enjoy playing. I do think they could use either an XP or aptitude bump to be more fun, but they don't need an exotic gimmick.

Edit: Get rid of halflings, though.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Mystery Prize posted:

Yeah that's not me. The issue seems to have resolved itself, but I still have no idea why only I was unable to connect to it for like three hours :iiam:

It's possible that someone somewhere had some hosed-up middleware that couldn't handle websockets. I know a lot of times when I'm flying I won't be able to play online even when I can browse the net.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Does draining just remove XP, or do I get skill levels back while getting normal XP?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Would it even be possible to implement something like humans being able to spread a few points in aptitudes around, turning two or three of their 0s into +2 or +3s?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

bbcisdabomb posted:

Does draining just remove XP, or do I get skill levels back while getting normal XP?
The latter(if you pay attention, you'll sometimes notice "your base Thing skill has reached level Whatever!" messages). It used to do the former, but that got changed because it sucked.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Welp, actually got a steak win for once, first win was a boring BaBe, second win a slightly less boring MiHu^O (but still pretty boring). I feel accomplished.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Messing around with the code for crawl is relatively easy, my biggest problem was with the tool chain setup on Windows, but maybe that's easier now. I tried to make a totally OP race that had gargoyle resist/ac, undead torment immune, minotaur apts, demonspawn mutations, and formicid arms.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Crawl 0.20: Trog's BaBes

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Is it possible for an item to give you bonuses when in specific areas? I just noticed the Hat of Pondering, being Gastronok's, has a line mentioning being enchanted to protect against salt, and we have a salt-based portal area...

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

tote up a bags posted:

Crawl 0.20: Trog's BaBes

someone suggested "BaBe with the Sword of Power" and i kinda like that one

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

BaBe Got BaCK (original tourney team name do not steal)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

someone awful. posted:

BaBe Got BaCK (original tourney team name do not steal)
You forgot the gratuitous peach emoji.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Haifisch posted:

You forgot the gratuitous peach emoji.

oh poo poo you're right

BaBe Got BaCK 🐸🍑 (original tourney team name do not steal)

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Why does berotato keep telling me that there's another game in progress using this save? And then closing me out of my run. Has someone hacked my account?!

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Darth Windu posted:

Why does berotato keep telling me that there's another game in progress using this save? And then closing me out of my run. Has someone hacked my account?!

Don't worry, they're just holding the game hostage until the devs meet your demands.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Darth Windu posted:

Do you show up in the list of active games? If so, it hosed up and thinks the game is running, so it won't let you start another instance of it.

The solution is cooking dinner or something until the server decides you're idle & closes the game.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
usually happens when your browser crashes or otherwise closes in an unusual way & takes about ten minutes to resolve itself, iirc

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
I liked HEs but removing them doesn't really remove anything central to the game or a specific interesting avenue of play so I don't really think it matters one way or another. Octopodes are secretly better longblade/casters anyway ;)

Removing Beogh on the other hand would cut out an entire, fascinating, and incredibly different playstyle and make the game worse and less fun as a package. If Beogh's narrowness is a problem then jesus christ just make it so any race can worship Beogh. Give orcs a piety bonus or make it so non-orcs have to find an altar or something instead of just a priest so it's harder to convince the skeptical orcs of their new Messiah but don't remove one of the most unique options in crawl.

God I would be so upset if they axed Beogh, Beogh is literally the reason I started playing Crawl and I never would have gotten into the game without him.

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Mar 4, 2017

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
IMO make Beogh into a cult-y Scientology-esque god and make it so that his recruitment gimmick works on any of the monsters that are of a playable race.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Haifisch posted:

The latter(if you pay attention, you'll sometimes notice "your base Thing skill has reached level Whatever!" messages). It used to do the former, but that got changed because it sucked.

Awesome, thanks.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Can Of Worms posted:

Don't worry, they're just holding the game hostage until the devs meet your demands.

thats rad!

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

fool_of_sound posted:

IMO make Beogh into a cult-y Scientology-esque god and make it so that his recruitment gimmick works on any of the monsters that are of a playable race.

Make it so all enemy orcs belong to the player's race.

Orcish Mines, Halfling Mines, Demigod Mines, Octopode Mines...

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Make it so all enemy orcs belong to the player's race.

Orcish Mines, Halfling Mines, Demigod Mines, Octopode Mines...

first good suggestion in crawl thread history

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Wrong, hopgoblins was first

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Darius099 posted:

So for most of you guys, what's the ratio like of deaths to escapes with the orb?

I'm trying to get an idea how bad I am at running into walls full speed over here.

27%

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

fool_of_sound posted:

Deep Elf of Beogh would have an absolutely worthless first 2/3 of the game, and then you hop into Elf and become unstoppable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
beogh felid wouldn't be very good

• Locked thread